Canis

Walani, and why she's perfect for Return of Them

Recommended Posts

Dunk Mujunk    1045
On 2/17/2020 at 4:09 PM, Mike23Ua said:

 

F8FC9B0C-C38F-4E93-BE4E-F4F8CF7EDBCE.jpeg

Just slap a boat on the left or right of the stack. Or get your needed rock from land, a portion of the Sea Stack rock is gonna fall in the water anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    3135
1 hour ago, Lakurius said:

they're your friends sorry

Over the past few days I’ve had to respond to PM’s in my Inbox with Several people telling me Walani, Wheeler, Etc.. sucks.

My Response is ALWAYS the same- Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff are ALL Klei Official Don’t Starve Playable Characters, They ALL have a fan base of people who actually WANT to play as them.. & in the end not adding them into DST only prevents the people who may actually WANT to play as them from playing as their favorite Character.

I could understand you guys arguing about this if these were player created mods or scrapped/unimplemented characters.. with 0% chance of Ever being part of the game.. but these are KLEI OFFICIAL and deserve a spot amongst the games Character cast.

——————————

Some Of you will probably respond with something like “But Walani & Wheeler Suck I would rather have a brand new unique character!” Please understand that Unless the characters name happens to be Warbucks.. that they don’t just suddenly POOF out of existence & that by not including these characters in the game Klei is only successfully managing to limit players into playing Solo DS or using mods to play these characters.

—————————— 

Now.. Having said that I DO really Wish you guys would start thinking up some new abilities that YOU could realistically see these Klei Official Characters getting in their Refresh for DST instead of just being direct single player port overs.

Take Wheeler as just an Example: It’s as simple as allowing her Pewmatic to be upgraded to fire Electrical Bolts, using 1 Electrical Doodad, 1 Gear & 2 Frazzled Wires.. This not only lets her deal Damage over Time to DST’s Enemies (Which have significantly more health then their Single Player Counterparts..) but it ALSO now allows her to shoot her Electric Darts at WX78 on her TEAM to Charge him.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    3135
14 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

@Canis

I don't like Walani

 

 

 

and here comes the impending wrath

But good sir or madam, if you do not like Walani I must ask you why even comment in a thread ABOUT Walani?

People seem to get confused over a lot of the posts I make, but there’s not a single character that’s not in the game yet that I hate and DONT want in the game at all. (Except Maybe Warbucks.., But Even Klei hates him since they erased him out of Existence..) I Joke, I Joke!!! Had to go there sorry. 

the other characters I’m not too fond of letting join the games cast are unimplemented/scrapped and modded Characters.

Why? 

Waverly is pretty much no longer needed at all now that Wickerbottom has her Hallowed Nights Part 2 Skin.

Pyro was a character from another game that’s name doesn’t even start with the trademark W chances of ever becoming legit are like 1 in a billion.

But as for Klei Official Characters Who Already have a fanbase Of people who actually WANT to play as them, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba and Wagstaff.. they all EQUALLY deserve to (eventually) become part of the game.

 

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GetRektKids    1005
Just now, Mike23Ua said:

But good sir or madam, if you do not like Walani I must ask you why even comment in a thread ABOUT Walani?

People seem to get confused over a lot of the posts I make, but there’s not a single character that’s not in the game yet that I hate and DONT want in the game at all. (Except Maybe Warbucks.., But Even Klei hates him since they erased him out of Existence..) I Joke, I Joke!!! Had to go there sorry. 

the other characters I’m not too fond of letting join the games cast are unimplemented/scrapped and nodded Characters.

Why? 

Waverly is pretty much no longer needed at all now that Wickerbottom has her Hallowed Nights Part 2 Skin.

Pyro was a character from another game that’s name doesn’t even start with the trademark W chances of ever becoming legit are like 1 in a billion.

But as for Klei Official Characters Who Already have a fanbase Of people who actually WANT to play as them, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba and Wagstaff.. they all EQUALLY deserve to (eventually) become part of the game.

 

Umm......

I was making a joke.....

 

Well JOKES aside, I personally could care otherwise. I don't hate Walani, but I don't not like her. I'd be fine if she was added, I'd be fine if she wasn't. I was just messing around with Canis, because Canis has a staple of smiting anyone who doesn't like Walani :D 

On 2/22/2020 at 7:49 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Over the past few days I’ve had to respond to PM’s in my Inbox with Several people telling me Walani, Wheeler, Etc.. sucks.

My Response is ALWAYS the same- Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff are ALL Klei Official Don’t Starve Playable Characters, They ALL have a fan base of people who actually WANT to play as them.. & in the end not adding them into DST only prevents the people who may actually WANT to play as them from playing as their favorite Character.

I could understand you guys arguing about this if these were player created mods or scrapped/unimplemented characters.. with 0% chance of Ever being part of the game.. but these are KLEI OFFICIAL and deserve a spot amongst the games Character cast.

——————————

Some Of you will probably respond with something like “But Walani & Wheeler Suck I would rather have a brand new unique character!” Please understand that Unless the characters name happens to be Warbucks.. that they don’t just suddenly POOF out of existence & that by not including these characters in the game Klei is only successfully managing to limit players into playing Solo DS or using mods to play these characters.

—————————— 

Now.. Having said that I DO really Wish you guys would start thinking up some new abilities that YOU could realistically see these Klei Official Characters getting in their Refresh for DST instead of just being direct single player port overs.

Take Wheeler as just an Example: It’s as simple as allowing her Pewmatic to be upgraded to fire Electrical Bolts, using 1 Electrical Doodad, 1 Gear & 2 Frazzled Wires.. This not only lets her deal Damage over Time to DST’s Enemies (Which have significantly more health then their Single Player Counterparts..) but it ALSO now allows her to shoot her Electric Darts at WX78 on her TEAM to Charge him.

Do you get DM's by people harassing you? That's a little far...... As much as I get annoyed by some peoples' post I don't go and harass them...

Calm down a bit guys, everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    3135
9 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

Umm......

I was making a joke.....

 

Well JOKES aside, I personally could care otherwise. I don't hate Walani, but I don't not like her. I'd be fine if she was added, I'd be fine if she wasn't. I was just messing around with Canis, because Canis has a staple of smiting anyone who doesn't like Walani :D 

Do you get DM's by people harassing you? That's a little far...... As much as I get annoyed by some peoples' post I don't go and harass them...

Calm down a bit guys, everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

Harassing.. no, simply saying that Walani, Wheeler etc sucks.. without providing any in depth reasoning as to why they feel that way? Plenty.

But I always say the same thing, regardless of how loved or unloved Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff are, they all have a group of players who possibly even Main playing as them. 

So in the end excluding any of those 6 out of DST only prevents those who would enjoy them from being able to play as their favorite character.

Another pretty decent Reason they need to be in DST is because JoeW said we would be getting a lot more DS game Lore in 2020, So yeah I would kinda like the entire cast of everyone who has ever been thrown into the Constant to have some Lore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shosuko    951
37 minutes ago, Nino123 said:

Walani sound is a ukulélé... need more reasons to add her ?

/qtf

Also - Wilani could have craftable machete, spyglass, and pirate hat from SW.  The machete can be used to harvest grass, twigs, thorny bushes, cactus, reeds, ect - with the time of a single attack animation and no retaliate damage.  The spyglass and pirate hat do what they did in SW, help you reveal the map quicker, especially at sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shosuko    951
31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But.. Walani isn’t a pirate captain.. these sound more like Woodlegs perks.

though who’s going to complain when there’s a chill surfer gal riding a wave right towards you while carrying a machete? I know I sure won’t

While some of the details are shady, there is a theory that she was a pirate before riding the waves.  We know she was at least a fighter of some type on the seas due to her quotes for these items:

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Cutlass_Supreme
https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Captain_Hat
https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Swordfish

Edited by Shosuko
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    3135

I kind of hope that when/if Walani comes to the game that they seriously will slightly decrease the size of river streams that run down the middle of land Biomes that way Boat Kits can’t be thrown over into them & hopped merrily across.. But a Walani passing around Surfboards to other players can.

  • Confused 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    3135
11 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

i don't see why so much effort should be made to change tje worldgen code such that walani should be given such a niche, one-time use.

Plus this line of thinking will turn Walani into a one-time use, pick and drop character like Winona. People are merely going to switch to her, make her surfboard, place it in a gap, and switch back out .

Wait? What.. no.. Surfboard don’t become Boat Kits, they’re like Boats.. you pick them up and place them again and again and can actually ride around on them. Which in turn... actually uses significantly LESS resources then putting out a billion Boat Kits. The difference would be that they require Walani to craft.

Its far more then just a one time placed Boat Raft, it’s more like the hounds who can swim and go wherever they want as many times as they want.. except the Surfboards have a Durability meter before they break and new ones need to be crafted.

Its not like Winona’s Stationary structures you craft once and then never play as Winona again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunk Mujunk    1045
2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

that way Boat Kits can’t be thrown over into them & hopped merrily across.. 

Wolfgang will just throw Willow across the gap to burn your base down.

Kinda silly for you to hate boat kits with thoughts like that bouncing around in your noodle.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    3135
35 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Precisely. One can simply hop from one landmass, onto a surfboard, then to the other landmass. And if the gap's size is larger than a surfboard, place more until the bridge is complete, and hop from one surfboard to another. Just like using surfboards/log rafts/bamboo rafts as bridges in SW rivers.

This should take roughly 3 - 4 surfboards on regular rivers, and just one in your idea to make rivers smaller.

Compare the costs. a Boat bridge composed of 1 boat takes 8 boards total inclusive of the boards needed to make the Think Tank. your river size idea + surfboard will probably take only 2 boards. This further incentivizes players to simply mass produce surfboards as Walani, and then switch to a better character.

If we really need valuable suggestions, we need suggestions that make a character a unique character that's interesting to play in their own right, not suggestions that give them niche, one-time uses that will eventually not be a fun experience unique to them.

Walani’s Kit is, was and always will be personal surfboards.. I’m sure Klei will come up with something additional to go with that... but she should clearly excel at Water Related activities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shosuko    951
3 hours ago, Owlrus98 said:

I feel like the amount of work needed to remake the character to fit DST, be more useful/interesting, and also retain their original identity would be far more tedious than it would be to just make an entirely new character; plus, I believe people get more hyped for something new and fresh (and willing to buy products for) than for something re-associated. But that's just me.

I think that is just you /s

But for real - for people who aren't familiar with Wilani she is practically a new character, for people who are familiar it might be a chance to enjoy her as she wasn't exatly the best ShipWrecked survivor to play.  I don't know how much would have to be reworked either... as water is basically the only thing you need to make her fun to play as...

You're welcome to not like her, but I'd buy her first thing with all skins.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tryak    19

I don't think Walani would be great, that just seems way too op. Not just for getting to the lunar island, but for getting between branches in general. I think if any shipwrecked character should join DST it should be that pirate guy (Cant remember his name rn). With a few tweaks to his craftables I think he would be a good and intergratable option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Canis    11424
2 hours ago, Tryak said:

I don't think Walani would be great, that just seems way too op. Not just for getting to the lunar island, but for getting between branches in general. I think if any shipwrecked character should join DST it should be that pirate guy (Cant remember his name rn). With a few tweaks to his craftables I think he would be a good and intergratable option.


Here's a line from the Original post.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:57 PM, Canis said:

Before you cry "OP" about Walani being able to b-line towards Lunar Island, Woodie can reliably and consistently find Lunar Island on the first day or two with his goose form.


Also it's not difficult at all to make a boat and put it in between land branches.

Edited by Canis
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now