Don't Starve Together Roadmap 2020

On 2020-02-07 at 7:23 PM, -Animaster- said:

Hmmm. I would like to be excited but I did not hear anything specific. The post says that the new stuff is coming (well, it's obvious) but no details of what we can expect in the upcoming months.

I though the roadmap will be something like:

March - x character will be refreshed. This update will include... ( a brief description of what we can expect )

April - New island will be added. This update will include... ( a brief description of what we can expect )

May - New x character release. This update will include... ( a brief description of what we can expect )

June - New gameplay mechanics will be implemented. This update will include... ( a brief description of what we can expect )

and stay tuned for more...

Well, at least this is how imagined the roadmap. Hmmm.

I didn’t want to be the one to mention it, but this roadmap has nothing in it. It mentions the Forge and Gorge, while I, a console player, have never played the Forge or the Gorge at all. It mentions new content, but doesn’t say anything about it. More character refreshes..? Last years content was mostly fluff too. 

On 2/7/2020 at 6:23 PM, -Animaster- said:

Hmmm. I would like to be excited but I did not hear anything specific. The post says that the new stuff is coming (well, it's obvious) but no details of what we can expect in the upcoming months.

I though the roadmap will be something like:

March - x character will be refreshed. This update will include... ( a brief description of what we can expect )

April - New island will be added. This update will include... ( a brief description of what we can expect )

May - New x character release. This update will include... ( a brief description of what we can expect )

June - New gameplay mechanics will be implemented. This update will include... ( a brief description of what we can expect )

and stay tuned for more...

Well, at least this is how imagined the roadmap. Hmmm.

That's what they tried to do last year, but they couldn't keep up and had to scale back. People were... vocal with their displeasure so I can understand why they wouldn't want to say anything concrete and risk making the same mistake twice.

1 hour ago, Warlockadamm said:

Cause theres people that actually enjoy those kind of challenges ? I really dont see the point of your statement right there... Asking for new bosses is as valid as asking for new biomes or new game mechanics. 

I can think of so many reasons :

1. New loot, new items, that can help you thrive and survive even better

2. Just for the trill of doing it ? I mean just take a look at some of the big streamers of DST. They do boss killing on a regular basis because it's fun to watch. Well let me tell you that it's even of a better feeling to kill those bosses on your own or with friends.

3. It gives the opportunity to the Dev to go crazy a bit. Creating new attack pattern, making cool new animations and special effects, creating new small game mechanics.

Finally making the bosses optionnal don't make them a hassle for newer player. Plus having them optionnals means that you go out of your way of survival to actually attempt to kill them. I raise my cup to anyone that take the time to collect the proper ressources to kill those said boss. Lets say you are bored of doing the same old farming day after day, well there's always those bosses out there to spice up a bit your gameplay.

But then again it all comes down to preferences. Though asking for new bosses shouldn't get overshadowed or diminished, for i'm rather certain that they are a big chunk of what people like about this game.

You have some valid points, but I’ve played video games my entire life time & My Problem is that in every other game outside of DST Boss fights have always been a Key part of Gameplay, sort of a progression Blocker if you will, They are usually Introduced with some dramatic Cinema effect, & usually include unique attack patterns and some gimmick required to beating them.

(such as some giant boss that slams its hand down attempting to squash you that you barely dodge and then attack the hand before it lifts it again)

Most bosses include AoE pulsing attacks that you have to Jump over to avoid taking damage, or something to that effect. Then there are SOME games where after they introduce these creatures as Bosses first, they then appear Regularly as a common enemy type throughout the game from that point forward.

I just don’t understand WHY we need a new boss though, they just did recently add the Malbatross and people already found ways to murder it then came back here wanting more.

Im not saying NOT to Add more bosses, it’s Klei they’ll do what they want to do when they feel like doing it.

Im just trying find a REASON as to why I would want to kill a So far, Completely optional Boss.. Will it drop a door key fragment or some unique crafting tool that I will need to fight some Bigger Worse Boss with? What’s the point behind them.

I know that you provided Unique Attack patterns as one of those reasons, but Shouldn’t unique combat persist through out your entire world instead of being tied to a One and then Done Boss?

Take the Shattered Spiders on Lunar Island as the Perfect Example, I noticed that they gave them AoE (Area Of Effect for those of you who didnt know that) crystallized Ground Spikes Similar to Deerclops freezing the ground when it attempts to smash you.

Taking a Gameplay Mechanic that was tied to the Deerclops fight and making it more Common by giving it to a now Common enemy type.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I know that you provided Unique Attack patterns as one of those reasons, but Shouldn’t unique combat persist through out your entire world instead of being tied to a One and then Done Boss?

Take the Shattered Spiders on Lunar Island as the Perfect Example, I noticed that they gave them AoE (Area Of Effect for those of you who didnt know that) crystallized Ground Spikes Similar to Deerclops freezing the ground when it attempts to smash you.

Taking a Gameplay Mechanic that was tied to the Deerclops fight and making it more Common by giving it to a now Common enemy type.

This is valid enough.

The thing is, shattered spiders are not your day 1 thing that you encounter, they are not that common. There's still a learning curve that needs to happen for players. If one is not a crazy lunar island rusher, i would say that the lunar island would be mid to a bit late content.

Shattered spiders having AoE damage are way more dangerous then many of the mobs that you'll encounter during your first autumn. So them having such attacks is fitting for the experience or knowledgeable player that encounter them. As it is, i see plenty of people dying from tentacles, regular spiders, pigs, etc. So adding common mobs with new attack pattern sounds cool and interesting, though it wouldnt be fair for new players.

Though making more ennemies that are in the spirit of new attack patterns is a thing that i would really look forward to, but Klei needs to balance those things properly or make the area where those ennemies more harsh to show to new player that this is not content that is accessible yet. That being said im not fearing that Klei knows how to do such things as they impressed us many time in the past.

2 minutes ago, Warlockadamm said:

This is valid enough.

The thing is, shattered spiders are not your day 1 thing that you encounter, they are not that common. There's still a learning curve that needs to happen for players. If one is not a crazy lunar island rusher, i would say that the lunar island would be mid to a bit late content.

Shattered spiders having AoE damage are way more dangerous then many of the mobs that you'll encounter during your first autumn. So them having such attacks is fitting for the experience or knowledgeable player that encounter them. As it is, i see plenty of people dying from tentacles, regular spiders, pigs, etc. So adding common mobs with new attack pattern sounds cool and interesting, though it wouldnt be fair for new players.

Though making more ennemies that are in the spirit of new attack patterns is a thing that i would really look forward to, but Klei needs to balance those things properly or make the area where those ennemies more harsh to show to new player that this is not content that is accessible yet. That being said im not fearing that Klei knows how to do such things as they impressed us many time in the past.

Unless your playing as Woodie, you need to build a boat and set sail to those Shattered Spiders, it’s not something that just pops up suddenly all over the world.

and THATS the Theme I’m hoping Klei is aiming for with Updates to the game throughout 2020 and Beyond.

Give us New Islands with new biomes, with new mobs that have unique new attack patterns, instead of tying all that down to a boss you’ll fight maybe once or twice per play session.

I made a suggestion over here: (Sadly it didn’t spike in popularity like I had hoped it would) But using ONLY mobs that already part of the game- I broke each of the games the games Weather seasons into their own BIOMES. Where you’ll encounter harsher versions of Say Winter and Summer (but only while visiting their respective Island Biomes)

This allows Experienced Player content to Co-Exist right beside New Player Content, and it’s out there should you choose to set sail towards it.

But the main reasons I suggested this is because- Adding more hazards to the main land would just be frustrating to newer players. And then there are the experienced players who don’t feel like locating and killing the Fuelweaver just to experience some New Game Content.

———————

TL:DR Locking Content behind a boss battle that roughly only 10% of their fan base has fought is an Odd Design choice.

———————

AND THEN I have to ask how EXACTLY if they did that would it even work in a Multiplayer setting? I have a friend who still attacks Abigail thinking she’s an Enemy....  if he joins my game after I’ve killed X boss for Y world result- It’s only going to completely hinder HIS ability to Play WITH Me.

And That is what I am praying Klei is trying their absolute Best to Avoid.. They did not want to separate their players with paid DLC’s but This would probably separate those players even worse than Paid DLCs would If I’m being completely honest about it.

in every other game outside of DST Boss fights have always been a Key part of Gameplay, sort of a progression Blocker

The problem with this in DST is there is no progression in the classic sense. Whether you choose to fight Dragonfly the first year of a world or the 12th year, you are in the same situation. You haven't leveled up, gained any new moves, unlocked any new areas. The only difference is what mats you have gathered up to that point, and there is nothing stopping you from gathering whatever you want on day 1. There is also no story line to advance.

They are usually Introduced with some dramatic Cinema effect, & usually include unique attack patterns and some gimmick required to beating them.

(such as some giant boss that slams its hand down attempting to squash you that you barely dodge and then attack the hand before it lifts it again)

Most bosses include AoE pulsing attacks that you have to Jump over to avoid taking damage, or something to that effect. Then there are SOME games where after they introduce these creatures as Bosses first, they then appear Regularly as a common enemy type throughout the game from that point forward.

I think we can conclude DST isn't a game that plays well into Cinematic effects. There is to much to do, and time is always a factor. I'd rather keep the gameplay rolling than have to watch some form of cutscene, even if given the option to skip it. 

On the topic of boss abilities in other games, we have the same thing here. We just don't have a dodge, roll, jump, block, or counter mechanic. But it's the same thing, it is all simply pattern recognition. DST isn't a 3rd person hack and slash, its not a shooter. As much combat as we do have, combat isn't generally the focus.

And as someone mentioned in another thread recently, which as much lag as is present at times even in Offline mode, i'm not sure it would be wise to introduce heavily timing dependant mechanics into combat.

And yes, some games turn bosses into more basic enemies as the game progresses, but if not done right it can be viewed as simply fluff and lazy, but either way I dont think that would add any value to DST. Especially in tandem with your claim that only 10% of players engage in boss content (i'll touch on that in a minute).

I just don’t understand WHY we need a new boss though, they just did recently add the Malbatross and people already found ways to murder it then came back here wanting more.

That right there is why new boss content is always a good thing in DST. People completed the content and wanted more. Plain and simple. Plenty if people engaged the content, completed the content, and want more of that content. I'm not saying Malbatross is perfect. As it stands now the superior sail you can craft after defeating her is questionable. However, as we have been aware there is more content coming to the water so the value of that sail will increase as content is added, making the fight more worthwhile beyond the simple enjoyment of the fight as time goes on.

Im just trying find a REASON as to why I would want to kill a So far, Completely optional Boss.. Will it drop a door key fragment or some unique crafting tool that I will need to fight some Bigger Worse Boss with? What’s the point behind them.

As I stated before in another thread, the loot. The loot that is unobtainable anywhere else in the game. Aside from the Shadow Piece fight and the Ancient Guardian, no you don't NEED to fight a boss to progress to another boss, but as i've said thats not what DST is all about. A bulk of the boss loot allows crafts that make survival easier which lets you focus on fighting stronger and more obscure bosses. So in a way, yeah, fighting and killing DST bosses allows you to progress to a state in which you can devote the time and resources to defeating another boss. That aside, there shouldn't need to be a point behind the boss. As i've said, if someone has no interest in fighting a boss right now, how is FORCING them to fight a boss going to change their feelings toward the boss? It's not. All that does is gate off content, so instead of a player just not engaging the boss, they simply stop playing the game because they are forced to do something they do not want to do. 

If I remember correctly Mike you are far more interested in the survival aspect of DST? Would having MiseryToad pop up in the middle of your base at some predetermined time and start wrecking your stuff make that boss interesting and entertaining to you? The only difference there would be from now is that content would be forced on you. 

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

There is unique combat throughout the world. Most mobs have different attack patterns. But without changing the players moveset any mob changes wouldn't matter. You would still be left with the option of a kiting pattern, straight tank, or one of the many ways to take advantage of structures, items, and behaviors which is what combat in DST is all about. If I want to play Diablo i'll play Diablo, if I want to play Halo or Battlefield or X-Com i'll play those. I'm personally not interested in bringing heavy mechanic changes to DST because I enjoy DST for what it is, and it works because it plays into it's strengths, not because it attempts to parrot other games.

Also, the 10% of the player base thing, lol. Can I see your maths please? (jk)

Anyway, i'm not saying boss content is the only way to go, i'd love new biomes and new more basic content (mobs, crafts, so on), but I can't agree with seriously changing combat. The issue with attack patterns isn't a lack on the boss end, it's lacking on the player character end. And changing that would substantially change the game, I feel. I think if people really don't like the game as it is now enough to request drastic changes to core game systems, they may possibly be playing the wrong game.

Every fight in DST revolves around hitting something a few times then moving to the side to avoid its attack, hitting it again rinse & repeat.

This goes for Tree Guards, This Goes For Rooks, this goes for Terror Beak, Crawling Horrors, Etc..

When we want more advanced Combat we aren’t saying to turn the game into Dark Souls.. What we want is Enemy variety that changes up that same tired out formula if only just a tiny bit..

For now though almost everything can be beaten by wearing a football helmet and smacking it with a few spears as long as you time moving away from its one attack.

Pretend that there was some new boss added to the game similar to Fuelweaver or whatever that endlessly spawned Undead Cursed Skeletons that came after you. Sure you can smack them with a Spear, but they will only Reassemble Themselves and keep coming.

The only way to get rid of them FOR GOOD is to attack them with a Deconstruction staff and then immediately rush in and set them on fire before they can resurrect.

Like I said I’ve played a billion boss fights in many other games.. But fighting them should give me an item required to explore further into the game.

Take Dragonfly as an Example- We can create Scaled Armor, But is there an Island in the game that is nothing but molting pools of lava and charcoal and for us to even step foot on this island we will need said armor or not be able to stay on that island long?

No.. there is not. But there really should be.

Then again... maybe I’m just missing the point. I’m not saying bosses are at all a bad thing, But I bought DST because it’s a Wilderness Survival game.. and because of that I Mainly just want a whole lot more Wilderness to Survive In.

NOT a limited Fight in a specific Area I’ll do a few times and then be bored of so I come back here wanting a new one later.

(hopefully this does not offend anyone, I’m just trying to show my point of view on Bosses and How/Why they could be changed..)

Every fight in DST revolves around hitting something a few times then moving to the side to avoid its attack, hitting it again rinse & repeat.

Of course. This goes for generally every game when it boils down to it. Hit some direction buttons, hit some attack buttons, dictated by on screen feedback. Rinse and repeat until the bar at the top of the screen is gone.

For now though almost everything can be beaten by wearing a football helmet and smacking it with a few spears as long as you time moving away from its one attack.

A fairly simplistic view, but yeah, if you time the kiting perfectly you can take anything down with spears and a football helmet. You will generally need way more than a football helmet or 2 unless your kiting is absolute perfection, and the fight will last a long time with simple spears, hence the draw of obtaining higher level gear (one of the main draws of the game).

Pretend that there was some new boss added to the game similar to Fuelweaver or whatever that endlessly spawned Undead Cursed Skeletons that came after you. Sure you can smack them with a Spear, but they will only Reassemble Themselves and keep coming.

The only way to get rid of them FOR GOOD is to attack them with a Deconstruction staff and then immediately rush in and set them on fire before they can resurrect.

Then i'd imagine Toadstool/MiseryToad is your favorite boss fight? I won't bother explaining the mechanics as they seem to be exactly what you like in a boss fight. We are still gearing up for the fight, it has taken a few in game years as we have other things to maintain and obtain, and there are only 2 of us. But our first attempt was fun, and it was a nice change of pace from some of the other bosses. I do like the idea of activating variations of the same boss through obscure mechanics, I wouldnt mind seeing this in more bosses.

Anyway, I can get on board with that. However, there is nothing stoping you from fighting anything anyway you want. Ice Staffs, Pan Flutes, Fire Staffs, various Blow Darts, Tooth Traps, Catapults, befriending mobs, using structures to alter behavior, straight tanking, kiting, the list goes on and on. I think you will find a good portion of people don't simply kite bosses, and the ones that do, in my opinion are generally considered pretty dang good because thats about the most difficult way to complete the higher leveled fights in DST. In a sandbox game like DST, FORCING everyone to complete a fight a certain way seems a bit like being concerned with the way other people are playing and enjoying the game as opposed to the way you (thats a general you) are playing and enjoying the game.

Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt mind a bit of flavor in some new fights, but requiring people to kill a boss and obtain an item to "unlock" the next area smacks of things like colored key cards which is a lazy game mechanic that wore out its welcome with the original Doom.

Aside from that, the loot you currently get from bosses is pretty amazing. Eyebrella, Scaled Furnace/Flooring, Bundling Wrap, whatever Thick Fur gets you (Breezy Vest or whatever it is, and I dont personally use the Insulated Pack). Some of it is meh, of course the Weather Pane is pretty useful for Toad with low player numbers, as you know. And the Bee Queen crown seems to be pretty important for the FW fight (weve yet to do this fight ourselves), and those 2 things seem to play right into what you are asking for.

Like I said I’ve played a billion boss fights in many other games.. But fighting them should give me an item required to explore further into the game.

Take Dragonfly as an Example- We can create Scaled Armor, But is there an Island in the game that is nothing but molting pools of lava and charcoal and for us to even step foot on this island we will need said armor or not be able to stay on that island long?

Yeah, i've seen you reference......a few games before. I've played 1 or 2 other games myself over the course of my life.

While I get where you are coming from, DST is not a linear game, and gating content behind boss checks, to me, goes against the spirit of the game. Once again, simply forcing someone uninterested in fighting a boss will not make it interesting. Needing an item from Deerclops to progress in the game will make those not interested in fighting Deerclops stop playing all together.

I can get behind your rough idea of the Scaled Armor. Ive personally never constructed it, and there are quite a few items in game that could use a "rework". But this is the same rough concept as say the Eyebrella. You dont need it but it helps a lot.

Then again... maybe I’m just missing the point. I’m not saying bosses are at all a bad thing, But I bought DST because it’s a Wilderness Survival game.. and because of that I Mainly just want a whole lot more Wilderness to Survive In.

NOT a limited Fight in a specific Area I’ll do a few times and then be bored of so I come back here wanting a new one later.

No, id have to say I'm probably missing the point. I'm not sure how restructured boss fights tie in with the Wilderness Survival aspect and wanting more wilderness to survive in. Like I said, I'm totally on board for more biomes and more general content to fill the world, and with those additions more boss fights are sure to come.

And id also have to say that most people arent on here simply asking for more boss fights because they are bored. We know Klei is making additions, so we are throwing out the things we would like to see, id imagine everyone would like more biomes, I think that goes without saying. It does, however, seem to me that those who want the biggest changes to boss fights are the ones who dont engage in that content, and will be the first ones to tire and move on from, then complain about that new content in that area, if they ever even engage it to begin with.

16 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

-snip-

Naw man I fully agree with you New Islands to explore goes hand in hand with a Boss Fight, But the Question isn’t Should Klei add more bosses just for the sake of adding them? 

The Question Should be what new Content/Gameplay does this fight bring to the game?

You Admitted yourself in your post that you don’t actually use the Bearger Vest- The largest Problem with that is because you don’t actually NEED it.

I want a REASON to Need it, not a forced reason mind you.. don’t bring Say some new Lunar Island Boss reigning hell down on my Base.. but just a general reason as to why I might need it..

The best examples I can give were D-Flys Scale armor in a new Island Biome where it’s Summer 24/7 and you need that type of armor to stay in that area for too long.

And Bearger Vest could be applied to a New Frozen Ice Biome where it’s Winter 24/7.

this does not FORCE the bosses down on players who may not want to do those boss fights, HOWEVER... at the same Exact time what it WOULD successfully manage to do is Block a players Progress Until they have killed the boss.

Which is Very VERY Important if- Said New Biome requires an Experienced players learning Curve, (Such as Shattered Spider on Lunar Islands) 

You actually have to intentionally go out of your way to experience that content, so off course I expected it to be a bit tougher than average biomes.

What I DO NOT Agree with AT ALL is a Boss Fight that once completed will Regenerate the world or make things harder.. 

Klei did not want to Split their fan base between who owns DLC and who doesn’t own DLC.

But at the same exact time, Making a Whole game world Harder based on doing X activity to Trigger Y world event.. would separate that fan base just as much (if not even more so) than paid DLC expansions.

So I like the Idea Of Islands you can venture out to once you’ve prepared. I DO NOT like the Idea Of Killing the Ancient Fuelweaver and entering the Ancient Gateway Because well..

The game is called Don’t Starve TOGETHER right? Well I’m a Semi Experienced Player... Meanwhile I have friends who still Attack Abigail thinking she’s a hostile enemy.

If they join my world AFTER I’ve triggered Y event.. And Altered the entire world It would only make Their enjoyment of the game less Enjoyable.

Where As... Island Biomes I can sail to whenever I feel fit to do so allows both Casual & Hardcore content to Co-Exist within the same game world.

(Sorry for the TL:DR but I really wanted to try and explain it the best that I could.. hopefully this long post explains things from my point of view a tad bit more.)

Naw man I fully agree with you New Islands to explore goes hand in hand with a Boss Fight, But the Question isn’t Should Klei add more bosses just for the sake of adding them? 

They definitely shouldn't add more bosses just for the sake of adding bosses, that would be a recipe for disaster. I'd be more than happy with a bunch of new biomes introduced and fleshed out long before they added in any new bosses. But I think it is reasonable to expect more bosses with the introduction of more biomes.

I'd also like more, for lack of a better term, "mini bosses" along the lines of MacTusk and the hunt mobs. The thing that makes all of these things work though is the loot. Take away the loot and the fights become meaningless. MacTusk is a good one, Tusks and Tams are always welcome.

The Question Should be what new Content/Gameplay does this fight bring to the game?

You Admitted yourself in your post that you don’t actually use the Bearger Vest- The largest Problem with that is because you don’t actually NEED it.

I personally don't use the Hibernation Vest or the Insulated Pack, but that's my playstyle. I tend to be the gatherer between me and my wife. I don't fight much, so the speed penalty of a Piggyback doesn't really matter to me, and i'm good enough at foraging in a pinch to where I don't need a backpack that keeps food good longer.

But that's my playstyle. It doesn't make the item bad, or worthless, and i'm by no means an expert. What I do definitely shouldn't dictate what is good or bad. While I don't use the Hibernation Vest, I do always have to carry mats to start a fire, and since i'm generally on the move, i'm usually building a couple fires per day during winter, and the Thermal Stone cools down pretty quick in the dead of winter. I'd imagine a Hibernation Vest would negate a lot of this, especially in tandem with a Tam.

You technically don't NEED anything, and it all depends on what you are doing. To just straight not starve you need next to nothing. 

It's been a while, but i've seen a few threads advocating getting out of your comfort zone and using some of the more obscure items.

The best examples I can give were D-Flys Scale armor in a new Island Biome where it’s Summer 24/7 and you need that type of armor to stay in that area for too long.

And Bearger Vest could be applied to a New Frozen Ice Biome where it’s Winter 24/7.

I'm definitely all for making some of the super obscure items useful, but it both of these examples there are a multitude of other ways to handle heat and cold, there wouldn't be much of a reason to change up how you handle the weather.

And to touch more on DFs scales real quick, the Scaled Furnace and Scaled Flooring more than make up for the Scaled Armors lackings, though that kinda depends on how interested you are in basing and construction.

this does not FORCE the bosses down on players who may not want to do those boss fights, HOWEVER... at the same Exact time what it WOULD successfully manage to do is Block a players Progress Until they have killed the boss.

It wouldn't block progression as there are other ways to deal with the elements. And progression should never be blocked imo. 

What I DO NOT Agree with AT ALL is a Boss Fight that once completed will Regenerate the world or make things harder.. 

Klei did not want to Split their fan base between who owns DLC and who doesn’t own DLC.

FW regenerates the Ruins and the Village from what I understand, and I don't see much of a reason to regenerate the entire world. I don't imagine Klei would create a boss that makes the game harder in general once defeated, not sure what thats about. Also not sure what you are talking about with splitting the player base/DLC. After this long I think its safe to say they would never do that.

But at the same exact time, Making a Whole game world Harder based on doing X activity to Trigger Y world event.. would separate that fan base just as much (if not even more so) than paid DLC expansions.

So I like the Idea Of Islands you can venture out to once you’ve prepared. I DO NOT like the Idea Of Killing the Ancient Fuelweaver and entering the Ancient Gateway Because well..

The game is called Don’t Starve TOGETHER right? Well I’m a Semi Experienced Player... Meanwhile I have friends who still Attack Abigail thinking she’s a hostile enemy.

If they join my world AFTER I’ve triggered Y event.. And Altered the entire world It would only make Their enjoyment of the game less Enjoyable.

Where As... Island Biomes I can sail to whenever I feel fit to do so allows both Casual & Hardcore content to Co-Exist within the same game world.

You completely lost me here. I've heard nothing about paid DLC, or defeating a boss somehow making everything harder.

As far as i'm aware defeating FW regenerates the Ruins and Village, making Gears renewable. Maybe someone can clarify this?

ah, another argument discussion about difficulty, ah well, guess il toss in my proverbial pocket change.

the games challenge, atleast from what i can see, comes mostly from lack of knowledge, not exactly a good thing considering everything.
once you survive winter once, you can do it 20 more times in a row
once you figure out how many hits you can get in on a treeguard they never become more than a nuisance
if you can kite 5 hounds you can kite 50 hounds
until it clicks, you are hopeless, but when it does, it is trivial, and that is horrendous,  new players not even knowing how to use an axe properly while the fuelweaver fight boils down in essence to "hit, hit, run, use tool 1 when caged, use tool 2 when invulnerable, use tool 3 when healing" is horrendous.

of course, losing is supposed to be part of the fun, but im pretty sure the new player over there was not supposed to join in the middle of summer, finally scavenge an axe together after fiddling with the controls for 2 minutes, fail to cut down a tree, overheat to death, and eventually refund the game after this happening 3 times in a row while at the same time the WX has already cleared the ruins by day 4 with almost 0 effort.

18 hours ago, TrashLord said:

That's what they tried to do last year, but they couldn't keep up and had to scale back. People were... vocal with their displeasure so I can understand why they wouldn't want to say anything concrete and risk making the same mistake twice.

I understand. No specific dates need to be mentioned but at least the things we can expect this year. Here's a good example of how a roadmap should look. Seeing this roadmap makes you excited about what is coming up next.

b2z5ei1eg6541.jpg

4 hours ago, -Animaster- said:

I understand. No specific dates need to be mentioned but at least the things we can expect this year. Here's a good example of how a roadmap should look. Seeing this roadmap makes you excited about what is coming up next.

b2z5ei1eg6541.jpg

I believe that they didn’t give us a detailed Roadmap because they want to keep everything as a huge Surprise for later.. Also do keep in mind that this Roadmap is always subject to updates or changes- So it’s best not to say

”Expect Wendy’s Refresh In March!” When In fact they decide to change their mind and work on Wes at the last minute Instead.

But outside of that, Maybe they don’t want to announce Return Of Them Update #4 Because it could end up being Delayed a bit longer then they originally plan?

But outside of that, Maybe they don’t want to announce Return Of Them Update #4 Because it could end up being Delayed a bit longer then they originally plan?

Honestly I'd just like to see what they have planned without a set release date, I'm perfectly fine with delays. (But I understand that development takes time, so I'll be patient.)

I also really miss the old update posters from A New Reign. :D

On 2/10/2020 at 8:10 PM, TrashLord said:

I really hope you are right and not that they are 'toning down' or abandoning the game.

16 hours ago, meepmoop said:

I really hope you are right and not that they are 'toning down' or abandoning the game.

I don't think we have to worry about that. After being a part of a few games where the Devs went silent and the game suddenly died I like what i'm seeing here.

The Devs are extremely active in the community, without the player base having to beg them to be so. The yearly events are still going on, with new content added to each one, and we are still getting content added to the game. Not just fluff either, new skins for characters and items on top of what's been added in game.

I'd be worried if they weren't nearly as vocal, if they opened the floodgates and shoehorned all the Hamlet/Shipwrecked characters into DST, and the big worry for me would be if they started pushing the Bolt Cloths hard (not sure if Bolt Cloths are on PC, I think I read it was just a console thing).

But yeah, generally from what i've seen when a game is going down the company starts pushing hard on any in game currencies, booster packs, constant rotating sales on existing packs. Things that don't take any work to produce on the Dev side. What we have and what we are going to be getting takes work to produce, and you wouldn't expect a company to spend money when they know they are getting ready to shut down a game.

If anything it seems like new life has been breathed into DST, the forums have been buzzing for a while now, Klei is watching us here, listening to what we are saying, and getting ready to drop more content.

57 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

if they started pushing the Bolt Cloths hard (not sure if Bolt Cloths are on PC, I think I read it was just a console thing).

Yes, those are exclusive to the console versions.

13 hours ago, meepmoop said:

I can second what Dunk Mujunk said, DST doesn't look like getting abandoned any time soon. :) The devs are indeed very active and talk quite a lot with the community. Also, the playercount seems to be higher than usual (being between 15k-25k instead of the earlier 10-15k I used to see).

I'd like to note here that Klei is (or seems) to be a bit slow when it comes to new content and updates, expecially today when so many games get weekly updates and shiny new stuff. Klei does take their time when it comes to new content (many updates came later than anticipated, but they always came in the end), and when there's no much news they tend to be more silent than usual. But I'm pretty sure they'll be working on DST for a couple of years at least ;) 

9 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Yes, those are exclusive to the console versions.

I can second what Dunk Mujunk said, DST doesn't look like getting abandoned any time soon. :) The devs are indeed very active and talk quite a lot with the community. Also, the playercount seems to be higher than usual (being between 15k-25k instead of the earlier 10-15k I used to see).

I'd like to note here that Klei is (or seems) to be a bit slow when it comes to new content and updates, expecially today when so many games get weekly updates and shiny new stuff. Klei does take their time when it comes to new content (many updates came later than anticipated, but they always came in the end), and when there's no much news they tend to be more silent than usual. But I'm pretty sure they'll be working on DST for a couple of years at least ;) 

Dev’s actually provided solid reasoning as to WHY they don’t do Weekly updates, Klei as a Whole is not a massive Mega Multi-Billion Dollar company like EA or Ubisoft, They are a Smaller company with much less workers, To do Weekly updates would put them under something known as  “Workers Crunch” this is where a Company works many many tireless hours and their team gets very little sleep or rest neglecting family & their own personal lives in that process.

I think we ALL do not want Workers Crunch.. plus (Personally) I like the Idea Of them taking their time when it comes to providing the game with meaningful updates, it means that they take caution in adding stuff & don’t just throw in a Half-Baked Idea here and there to keep content flowing.

This Roadmap says to expect something new to look forward to at least once per month.. So, I don’t get where Anyone can think that DST was Dying. LoL..

What I can say is that even though I bought DST to play it as the Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game.. That is NOT exactly what’s going to bring new players into this game, If they want to open the flood gates and bring lots of new players into DST focusing on the players who already bought and are already playing the game wanting harder content is NOT exactly the Best Way to go about doing that..

The Best way to go about doing that is to keep doing what they’ve been doing by adding Fun little Mini-Games like Pig King Wrestling, Carrat Racing, New Skins and Cosmetic Belonging Items, LOTS More Places to explore with new biomes, Creatures, More Craftable items to create, Character Refreshes that focuses on making a character FUN and UNIQUE to play as rather than focusing on making them compare to X Better Character For Y end Game Content Results...

I can swear to you all that Absolutely NO NEW PLAYER is going to Want or care anything at all about that.. But if they say like for Example HEY LOOK GUYS Wolfgang can now pick up his teammates and hurl them over gaps of land by standing still and getting into a “Tossing Pose” and the other player pressing the Interact button near Him.

Will Expert players find this idea stupid? probably.... but I guarantee you that it will bring in more people playing the game.

Don’t get me wrong I want new much Harder game content, that is something I have continuously BEGGED for ever since I joined these forums, HOWEVER I’ve noticed that the friends I play DST with already have a hard enough time surviving in this game world as it is..

So Maybe Difficulty Options Or increasingly harder content in the form of NEW (But not so easy to reach..) biomes is the best way to go about that?

TL:DR Even though no one wants to believe it, Don’t Starve Together has the potential to compete with MINECRAFT in terms of Popularity amongst the world.

and honestly why the hell shouldn’t it?? When each playable character in the game has their own completely unique and fun play style.. Minecraft’s Characters all play the same exact way..  

Archived