Don't Starve Together Roadmap 2020

I see many people saying that "this isn't a roadmap, it doesn't tell us anything new or and more details". True, there wasn't much concrete info posted this time, probably because 1) Klei simply just continues the previous roadmap, and 2) JoeW made this roadmap not because he had more news but because he saw that we want news. And while I always welcome more info, content and update, this is perfectly fine, I'm sure the devs are working hard to make all these new stuff for us.

However, there's one thing that actually new in this post:

10 hours ago, JoeW said:

Lore. Yep. I said Lore. 

Something we know everybody wants is more lore. I am not going to say much more for now. But we know you want more lore.  It would be smart from this point on to get back into scrutinizing things we put out for secrets. Not everything, but keep your eyes open. [...]

While Maxwell enjoyed hiding little secrets for you to find and seemed to bask in your attention, Charlie has been quite content to work from the shadows, planning and patiently working to put her pieces into play. Things will become much more apparent as her plans become to take shape and she finally takes center stage. 

Tbh we didn't get much lore in the last year(s), only a few refresh videos gave us some info on the survivors' backstory and about what's happening. This seems to change now, and I'm really looking forward to it! :)

(Maybe even a new puzzle?)

10 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Klei listened you, Wendy mains :encouragement:

They didn’t listen to this Wendy main, I said to leave her be : P

There was no stopping this, though. Gotta rip the band-aid off sometime. Maybe I’ll even like it. This is the first piece of RoT content that I’m really anxious about though, if they change her as extensively as they changed Woodie then I’m gonna be sad. Just make Abby prioritize the Woven Shadows over Fuelweaver, that’s all she needs <3

Hmm, nothing new really but thank you very much for reviewing last year and restating a commitment to the goals of the last rework. Statistical notes on the success of rhe game is also reassuring. It seems they haven't backed down from the 4 DLC characters promise and we will indeed be getting the 4th one for sure. It's good that they also didn't close the door to any new additions either so hang on, fans of Walani, Wheeler, Wagstaff, Warbucks, Wilbur, Wilba, Waverly and Winnie; no matter how slim the chances are.

As for the reworks, I'm now fully convinced that the next one will be Wendy, as if I wasn't sure pf that already. Looking at 2019, there were a total of 7 character updates: 4 reworks and 3 DLC character releases. This year we're likely to get a similar amount of character updates and from the tone of this rework I can tell they're planning way less new character additions and more reworks- might be as crazy as 1 New character and 6 reworks. If that's the case, I sense that klei will be using one rework slot to bring a singleplayer character like Warly to the game for the novelty effect and I hope to stars that it's gonna be Walani. After Wendy, the most likely candidates for the rework slots (~4 according to my prediction) in my opinion are Webber, Wilson, Wes and WX87.

My biggest frustration from this roadmap is the lack of anouncement regarding the next RoT update. The next step is really unpredictable and I can't wait for the 4th batch given the awesome quality of Turn of Tides, Salty Dog and Hook, Line and Inker. I got a slight feeling that they'll be focusing more on characters and less on content updates this year but I hope we get at least 3-4 RoT updates this year. The creativity they bring with those substantial updates never seize to amaze me

A secret refresh. Not sure if it's a right move but if it is the one almost everyone wishes to get right now then I suppose it would add some tension.

Thank you Klei for your honesty, even if that roadmap is vague, I appreciate that you are still trying to give us as much info without trapping yourselves into a corner.

2 hours ago, Swanky Psammead said:

if they change her as extensively as they changed Woodie then I’m gonna be sad

I believe that Wendy+Abagail probably won't be too extensively changed like Woodie did, so IMO you can put your worries to rest.

This is why I think Wendy will not be reworked in the same way as Woodie:

Woodie needed to be heavily reworked at a fundamental level because:

1. His perks were based around wood harvesting, something that multiple creatures and Maxwell can do better. Also one of the most tedious parts of the game. So, they decided to give him more use making him more of a generalist style character. Also making the character more fun IMO.

2. The log meter was even more counterproductive in the late-game where it was too much of a hassle to refill it in beaver mode. That at least was my examination after many hours of playtime. This is probably is why they removed it, and probably balanced some stuff out by removing pinecone sanity, which was also making him seem like a knockoff Maxwell with half the capabilities and double the max health.

My only closing thought about Woodie is that he doesn't really have a strong downside like some of the new characters have. I believe he's in a similar balance point to Wolfgang (this does not mean that he is as strong as Wolfgang only that their de-buffs are similar in function), where the "downside" only strongly appears when you use the abilities for both characters, which causes hunger problems. They also both have an inconsequential downside. Wolfgang's being faster sanity drain and Woodie's being more Treeguards, both of which can be viewed as an upside under some circumstances for faster resource gathering.  

IMO Wendy is not in this same boat:

1. Abagail's use is crowd control and tanking if you have a lot of flowers. Her perks being in the combat area make Abigail more interesting than     pre-rework Woodie who only benefited from better wood harvesting than a Wilson who just popped out of the portal. Abagail's role is more solidified because of her purpose in combat, and most likely will not undergo as much fundamental change.

2. Wendy's downside is interesting and is not quite as tedious as the log meter, and offers interesting ways to overcome it like taming an ornery beefalo like you did in your Wendy beefalo rush playthrough. 

My only closing thought about Wendy herself is that her less sanity loss is an inconsequential upside IMO. It does mean she only needs a tophat in the caves to prevent sanity loss from the darkness, but I haven't found much use aside from night drain. Wendy will probably get something new in her toolbox, but I doubt they'll take anything away or fundamentally change her like they did Woodie because of these reasons.

So there you have it. Why I think Wendy will not be reworked the same way that Woodie did. I just wanted to possibly give you and other Wendy mains peace at mind. I'm sure the Wendy rework will be quite light.

I expect 8 important updates this year at most considering they said "we expect that we will have something being launched at least once a month"

We should have an update every month starting from March and until October. End of October and start of November is going to be Hallowed Nights. December (as well as January of next year) is going to be Winter's Feast. February of next year is going to be another Year of the _____ event. And the cycle continues. 

Edit: nvm, I forgot, Wurt came out with hallowed nights and HL&I came out with WF (even though it was in beta first)

17 hours ago, JoeW said:

ReForged and Re-Gorge-itated are both super good so until we have something new we want to contribute, you should check those out. 

So do you have plans to transfer the mechanics from these events to the main game?
The forge is funny, but it is about tactics and calculations (and not about the ability to quickly make decisions and use abilities on time), and after the optimal team composition is found, it is actually completed and ceases to be interesting. It is necessary to add dynamics and various modes.
I like Gorge even more, there are more nuances and options for passing, but there is a very high threshold for entry. The team needs a plan and voice communication. With random players this is not possible to achieve. For almost two years, I could not find people to play Gorge.
Maybe you should add the ability to play solo in these modes. Give the player the ability to manage the entire team, as in tactical games?
And yet, if people cannot use paid characters during these events (many of them are suspiciously strong), this will be regarded as PtW.

Maybe you should add weekly competitive tasks to the game? For example, each week a unique map will be generated (common for everyone) with a unique task (to collect as many specific resources as possible in the allotted time, defeat a specific boss, etc.). Who (single player or team, depending on the nomination) will cope with this better (faster or get more points) at the end of the week will receive a few spools.

I hope you rework the mechanics of fire. In its current form, it gives rise to many abuses (especially the joint use of stars call staff and ice flingomatic).

Spoiler

1. All that burned, but was extinguished, can no longer be used for crafting (only as fuel).
2. The duration of the re-burning of extinguished items will decrease depending on how long they burned before.
3. The extinguished buildings will need to be repaired.
4. Give the opportunity to extinguish burning things, albeit at the cost of a large loss of health. Now, if you have not found the gear for ice flingomatic, you can only stand powerless and look at burning things. Around is full of water, but the game does not even have fire bucket, burning bushes can be dug up with a shovel (thereby extinguishing), but lying things can not be covered with earth to extinguish them. The character does not need to drink, which means that he always has enough drinking water with him, but he does not have water to extinguish something. Nonsense.

Can the walls finally cease to be decor, and fragile sculptures cease to be insurmountable walls?

7 minutes ago, 0rutyna0 said:

So do you have plans to transfer the mechanics from these events to the main game?
The forge is funny, but it is about tactics and calculations (and not about the ability to quickly make decisions and use abilities on time), and after the optimal team composition is found, it is actually completed and ceases to be interesting. It is necessary to add dynamics and various modes.
I like Gorge even more, there are more nuances and options for passing, but there is a very high threshold for entry. The team needs a plan and voice communication. With random players this is not possible to achieve. For almost two years, I could not find people to play Gorge.
Maybe you should add the ability to play solo in these modes. Give the player the ability to manage the entire team, as in tactical games?
And yet, if people cannot use paid characters during these events (many of them are suspiciously strong), this will be regarded as PtW.

Maybe you should add weekly competitive tasks to the game? For example, each week a unique map will be generated (common for everyone) with a unique task (to collect as many specific resources as possible in the allotted time, defeat a specific boss, etc.). Who (single player or team, depending on the nomination) will cope with this better (faster or get more points) at the end of the week will receive a few spools.

I hope you rework the mechanics of fire. In its current form, it gives rise to many abuses (especially the joint use of stars call staff and ice flingomatic).

Reveal hidden contents

1. All that burned, but was extinguished, can no longer be used for crafting (only as fuel).
2. The duration of the re-burning of extinguished items will decrease depending on how long they burned before.
3. The extinguished buildings will need to be repaired.
4. Give the opportunity to extinguish burning things, albeit at the cost of a large loss of health. Now, if you have not found the gear for ice flingomatic, you can only stand powerless and look at burning things. Around is full of water, but the game does not even have fire bucket, burning bushes can be dug up with a shovel (thereby extinguishing), but lying things can not be covered with earth to extinguish them. The character does not need to drink, which means that he always has enough drinking water with him, but he does not have water to extinguish something. Nonsense.

Can the walls finally cease to be decor, and fragile sculptures cease to be insurmountable walls?

I don’t know what this is about because Consoles never actually got the Forge Event... 

but I was under the Impression that the Forge was a Battle Arena where you fought tougher and tougher enemy A.I. opponents until your team either won.. or you all had been slain. All while being surrounded by rivers of Molting hot Lava.

——————————

And NOW that Klei has added the Pig Kings Mini-Game into the game (where you can trade him a Championship Belt to engage in a funny little mini game where his Pigs smack you around with a Gigantic wooden sign) I want a Circular Battle Arena surrounded by Lava where the goal is to use those signs & knock all the enemies (or other players if PvP is enabled) Off into the Lava, Last Man Or Team Standing wins.

50 minutes ago, RogueGamer12 said:

Try a reminder to those who were disappointed with this roadmap, Klei might release another one this year like last time. Where they talk about RoT, and the two characters, Wormwood and Warly.

Why should people dissapointed about this? It was great. But I admit I had a rough idea what Klei was planning because ROT wasn't finished and most character reworks aren't released and perhaps they release one or two new characters.. But I am not dissapointed. If people plays the game for its new content, ok.

20 hours ago, GetRektKids said:

YESSS!!!!! FINALLY!!!! 

Also, are we done making fan made roadmaps now?

We won't know until the Roadmap to Fan Made Roadmaps is out.

17 hours ago, Thieverpedia said:

People keep saying that lore thing will be about Wendy and Abby, but what if it's Webber? Would we see what he was like before being eaten? This gets me all giddy thinking about it!

It's on a cliff-side.  His father raised goats.  WE'RE GONNA LEARN ABOUT CIVILIZED GOAT-HERDING SPIDERS!

Don't know if we'll learn anything about the boy half, though.

16 minutes ago, minespatch said:

curiosity_made_the_spidergoat_by_ohthehuSpidergoat?

You wouldn’t have happened to have watched a Cartoon before called Bunnicula with an Episode named “SpiderLamb” before have you???

I literally saw that on TV the other night and I just find this whole Spider-Goat thing Hilarious now.

Archived