Brothgar's Youtube was hacked

EDIT:  The issue has been resolved.  Brothgar has his channel back and his videos are up.

I know quite a few people here watch Brothgar's Oxygen Not Included content.  Unfortunately, somebody hacked his Youtube channel.  He is in no way associated with the Litecoin Foundation, and I highly doubt the actual Litecoin Foundation is the group who hacked his account. 

Beware of scams coming from his account. 

I don't know anything that's going on except what I've read, I just thought people should know around here.  A discussion of this was started on the ONI Reddit:

EDIT:  There is an update from Brothgar in a future post:

Ohhh... I woke up this morning like "wtf is litecoin?" I didn't even sub to this channel so I check my email and youtube to see if I was hacked or smth(even though there's nothing on my youtube account). I was safe and was like "how did that happen?"

Now I see. Oh well, I'll sub back in if he can recover back the channel.

8 hours ago, Bothead said:

Ohhh... I woke up this morning like "wtf is litecoin?"

Litecoin is another Bit-Coin derived pyramid-scheme. Since these "coins" have absolutely no intrinsic value and since people trying to get rich quick have made their exchange rate unstable enough that they are completely unusable as currency replacement, those that try to profit need more and more people to buy into the broken idea to make their profits. Hence they try all legal and illegal means they have to push the idea and this is one of them.

Sorry, for the off-topic post, but it seems relevant to explain why this happened.

51 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Litecoin is another Bit-Coin derived pyramid-scheme. Since these "coins" have absolutely no intrinsic value and since people trying to get rich quick have made their exchange rate unstable enough that they are completely unusable as currency replacement, those that try to profit need more and more people to buy into the broken idea to make their profits. Hence they try all legal and illegal means they have to push the idea and this is one of them.

Sorry, for the off-topic post, but it seems relevant to explain why this happened.

this on the surface, who knows what obscure objective it has behind it, since some hacked channels even here in Brazil were from other bitcoin exchange houses and I have seen some owners of related companies inform that there is nothing to do and be working to hunt these guys who are using your image ...

so is there something else behind it all, something beyond what we can see, maybe a sale of channels by views? maybe a way to profit as if these related channels are credible due to views and subscribers to potential investors? or to sell people already big channels instead of starting from scratch? maybe a way to outwit youtube while these guys do something from behind while youtube cares about channels?
perhaps a pyramid method larger than those in Egypt?

who knows ... there are so many possibilities

Oh man that's so ****ty.

Everyone with a youtube channel, even if a tiny one. Secure it as best you can. Go to the securities settings in your google accounts and use strong passwords, backup recovery methods and 2-Factor authentication. It's a little complicated, but the headache and anger it saves when you do it as worth it. There are few violations that feel worse than theft of your identity or stuff tied to your identity like a YouTube channel. 

While there isn't any "perfect" security, if you just make yourself really hard to hack then the hackers will move on to easier targets, which is good enough. 

A lot of these hacks are also automated. They're not targeting YOU specifically, but any channel with lax security as they just want to spam and con, not to hurt YOU specifically. So they use automated scripts to save time and the automation just passes on channels with reasonably security. 

It's not hard to stop them but you have to put some effort in it.

Anyway, I hope brothgar gets his channel back. He's fun to watch. 

4 hours ago, speckle21 said:

So there is nothing to be done?

they go looking for small channels, because they have no power or known on youtube

according to some I saw the problem is a two-step security bug

they are not using "brute force" to decrypt passwords, but a bug on youtube

as far as i know youtube works to avoid these things, but speaking the truth there are already many people affected and of global proportions, they should have solved it already ...

some channels here have already got the channel back, but for those who live exclusively on youtube, the damage must be pitiful

6 hours ago, Tytan said:

they go looking for small channels, because they have no power or known on youtube

according to some I saw the problem is a two-step security bug

they are not using "brute force" to decrypt passwords, but a bug on youtube

as far as i know youtube works to avoid these things, but speaking the truth there are already many people affected and of global proportions, they should have solved it already ...

some channels here have already got the channel back, but for those who live exclusively on youtube, the damage must be pitiful

Do you know what the hack is or where to find more details?

The fastest way to get a security hole fixed is to make it wildly popular

19 minutes ago, speckle21 said:

Do you know what the hack is or where to find more details?

The fastest way to get a security hole fixed is to make it wildly popular

The ones I know about send the youtuber an email posing as an advertiser. The reason its so effective is there are a lot of these kinds of advertisers trying to get even small youtubers to make a quick plug. So its not immediately obvious.

As far as I am concerned and being one of those who enjoy watching Brothgar's content, I am constantly denouncing every video / live they put in place to Youtube. There is nothing else I can do as far as I know but I guess that if Youtube receive dozens and hundreds of notifications, maybe they will act.

15 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Phishing is not really a security hole..

No. Phishing requites user cooperation. Although the deceptions used have been getting better. As a security expert, I have not been fooled yet, but there are now several instances where I misclassified legitimate emails as phishing. This whole thing is messed up and it is utterly pathetic that 30 years after the Internet became available to everybody this problem is still unsolved. Incidentally, what I use is good passwords and a suspicious mind. These are pretty much the best security mechanisms available.

We reached out to him yesterday to see if there was anything we could do to help and he's already in contact with the right people. Unfortunately they haven't decided to suspend / freeze the account while it's being fixed I guess. But hopefully it all gets fixed up asap. 

3 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I'm not sure reporting the videos is a great idea.  What if they decide that Brothgar's channel is a scam channel and just delete it?  There needs to be a report for "hacked channel."

I report the new videos / live, not the channel itself or the previous videos. Also, I use the category for scam / fraud in the list of choices. After all, since it is not their real channel, it is a scam by default.

3 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I'm not sure reporting the videos is a great idea.  What if they decide that Brothgar's channel is a scam channel and just delete it?  There needs to be a report for "hacked channel."

If true owner (Brothgar) wrote to youtube support then they can't delete his account. Last time a lot of people were hacked. And youtube helped in shorter or longer time (between week and 2 months). They most funny fact is that Youtube doesn't freeze accounts and after recover they don't take off limits or blockades made by hacker. So owner need to wait for end of all limits.

Also try don't attack Litecoin (yes I dislike pyramid foundations too), they wrote on own twitter it's not their job. So someone else just using Brothgar to make bad opinion about Litecoin and took people LTC coins.

Spoiler

Also it's warning for every youtube creator!

If you will get email from youtube (with any content inside and "button" or other hyperlink) before press button or hyperlink just hover the cursor over it and then you can see name of the page where it moves. It can helpfull but still need to take care. I recommend to not clicking in any hyperlink made by youtube!

On 2/7/2020 at 10:14 PM, Zarquan said:

I know quite a few people here watch Brothgar's Oxygen Not Included content.  Unfortunately, somebody hacked his Youtube channel.  He is in no way associated with the Litecoin Foundation, and I highly doubt the actual Litecoin Foundation is the group who hacked his account. 

Beware of scams coming from his account. 

I don't know anything that's going on except what I've read, I just thought people should know around here.  A discussion of this was started on the ONI Reddit: 

I cant believe that such scumbags exist. Hacking channels and deleting videos.

I really enjoyed Brothgars` videos.
I`ve been reporting each and every livestream I get a notification for, maybe youtube will resolve this.

Aren't YouTube accounts  just simply the same as your "gmail/google" account?

I believe to login to youtube you have to login to your google account.   Which has a 2 factor security authentication.  
One is your login, but then it can be connected to your phone   and when you login it requires your phone to approve the login.

I'm guessing he didn't have the phone authentication enabled?   If you're running a YouTube channel, I highly recommend enabling the phone security authentication method.  (just don't lose your phone)

(It's similar to blizzard's  mobile authentication app) 

1 minute ago, RonEmpire said:

Aren't YouTube accounts  just simply the same as your "gmail/google" account?

I believe to login to youtube you have to login to your google account.   Which has a 2 factor security authentication.  
One is your login, but then it can be connected to your phone   and when you login it requires your phone to approve the login.

I'm guessing he didn't have the phone authentication enabled? 

(It's similar to blizzard's  mobile authentication app) 

I met few youtubers with double factor security authentication and they still lost their youtube accounts without any problems. So yea you can lost account so easily.

Just now, Thalkas said:

I met few youtubers with double factor security authentication and they still lost their youtube accounts without any problems. So yea you can lost account so easily.

Wow that blows.    Google needs to step up their security.     Gaining access to somebody's email account can wreck havoc on other accounts they're connected to

Based on reading the above,  "cookies" hacking  is in the ream of possibilities.
I've always suspected that it's possible to  exploit cookies over an network.

At least its  good thing that his  actual Google Account wasn't compromised.    

YouTube need to upgrade their security checks and authentication.

Archived