n3D BItRD    4

I never asked but since wx had a masculine body and a mustache in one of his skins

even though it's a robot I always wondered if wx originally was a guy or a girl? is there lore behind his gender?

NOTE FROM JoeW:

When you see a brand new forum member saying something obviously to stir up trouble, report and move on.

Either you're failing to recognize a troll, or you're participating in it because you think it's fun but when somebody uses alt accounts to post to intentionally stir trouble on the forums is a waste of our time and effort quite literally takes time away from other things we could be spending our time on. 

Edited by JoeW
added note
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

CameoAppearance    1,539
40 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

I will give you a sincere answer: WX actually originally used he/him pronouns, but sometime in 2016 I believe the writing was changed to give them singular they pronouns. In essence, as they currently are they are nonbinary.

That's not completely accurate. Up until DST left Early Access, the only pronouns used for WX in-game in DS or DST were it/its, but a lot of patchnotes used he/him while talking about WX, so many of the players did the same because they were more comfortable with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bluegeist    1,625
12 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

That's not completely accurate. Up until DST left Early Access, the only pronouns used for WX in-game in DS or DST were it/its, but a lot of patchnotes used he/him while talking about WX, so many of the players did the same because they were more comfortable with that.

Thank you for the correction, I did not know about the ingame stuff as I was not playing at the time. I was only able to find an old post on these forums, hold on I got a screenie. The old flavor text for goh referring to them as a man, later changedScreenshot_20191211-074343_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8c24ab646eb6daccba4bd25387d5115a.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Rinkusan    506
1 hour ago, Bluegeist said:

I will give you a sincere answer: WX actually originally used he/him pronouns, but sometime in 2016 I believe the writing was changed to give them singular they pronouns. In essence, as they currently are they are nonbinary.

This was also briefly talked about in the previous WX gender thread, but 'they' doesn't automatically imply nonbinary gender. Singular they's can be used to refer to anyone whose gender is unknown to the speaker as well as nonbinary individuals.

• Like 1

Szczuku    10,828

Everyone refers to Wx-78 as a singular 'they' so Wx is neirher a man or a woman. Which is obvious since they're a robot.

But we need to remember that in their GoH skin they have a moustache. So I guess that if we were to slap a gander on Wx-78 then they'd be a male

CaptainChaotica    4,825

Due to that wonderful typo, I now have this wonderful mental image of whacking WX with a goose.  XD

Also, if the moustache means something...does the frilly fluffy _girly_ness of some of Webber's outfits mean anything?  Yeah, some old-fashioned little boys' outfits were kinda like that, but not in the 1900s/1910's.  Instead of ALL very small kids up to a certain age wearing frilly white gowns, it was starting to change over to the only-girls-wear-ruffles convention.  (I looked it up to make sure. )  Also--curls, ribbons, blush? 

Just saying.  Also we don't know what gender the spider half is.  ;)

Now, that doesn't necessarily have to mean Webber IS a girl (biologically OR trans), or gay, or whatever...maybe he just _likes_ girly clothing.   (For example, I once knew a dude on line who HATED that he couldn't wear pink without people Assuming Things, because it was his favourite colour.)  

And...anybody who does freak out about this?  HOO BOY, don't go looking too close at the dupes' bios in Oxygen Not Included. Some of them are CANONLY non-binary!  :)

...Notorious

• Like 1

GetNerfedOn    4,438
3 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Comparing gender identities to attack helicopters is like one of the least clever, most insensitive and most overused jokes at this point. It wasn't funny at its inception, it's not funny now, and it won't suddenly get funny by being parroted 47 times a day. There are so so many infinitely more tasteful and infinitely funnier jokes you could make about a robot being non-binary, literally just saying "a non-binary robot" is kind of funny, so why do you feel the need to immediately jump to the attack helicopter thing?

I made the joke because:

- I have an entirely different sense of humor than most people, which is why I make generally weird, tasteless, and potentially offensive jokes apart from these,and also cannot understand what is humorous in the statement "non-binary robot", and

- I thought it would be clever because WX, a killing machine, would love to aspire to become a greater killing machine like an attack helicopter.

But now that you have pointed my mistake out,  I deeply regret my actions and thus ask for forgiveness (though I would not mind you not giving forgiveness for the good things that you do.)

However, I am genuinely confused: what precisely makes the attack helicopter joke transphobic? Is there some context I am missing?

• Like 3

Sunset Skye    7,246
2 minutes ago, Terra M Welch said:

Also WX78 is refered to as "it" no?

"It/its" in DS, "they/them" as of DST:

DEATH_ANNOUNCEMENT_2_ROBOT = ". They became a spooky ghost!"
GHOST_DEATH_ANNOUNCEMENT_ROBOT = "lost all of their humanity and is gone forever."
ROBOT =
        {
            ONE = "they",
            TWO = "their",
-- Character quotes for WX-78:
-- Warly
GHOST = "Excusez-moi? How is it possible they have a ghost?" 
FIRESTARTER = "They overheated, perhaps?"
-- Maxwell (note the use of Mx.)
GENERIC = "Greetings, Mx. %s."
FIRESTARTER = "Mx. %s is making good on their promises of mayhem."
--  Webber