Automating Wheezeworts

22 hours ago, Junksteel said:

I'll give it a go on my next run. I'm already playing maps cut in half, 3 dupes only and almost no critters. I think I'll be able to afford some inefficient fun for a number of cycles...

Holy smokes!  What's causing the lag?  Do you use a lot of rails or something?  I've got 16 dupes ( 2 locked in rockets ), a sizable shove vole ranch that's feeding everyone, two slickster ranches, a sizable glum drakeo ranch, a bunch of glum pacu, and some pufts and have no lag closing in on cycle 1200.

4 minutes ago, psusi said:

Holy smokes!  What's causing the lag?  Do you use a lot of rails or something?  I've got 16 dupes ( 2 locked in rockets ), a sizable shove vole ranch that's feeding everyone, two slickster ranches, a sizable glum drakeo ranch, a bunch of glum pacu, and some pufts and have no lag closing in on cycle 1200.

I warned you lol 

it is strange even with the blocked off pathing the lag is still intense. 
its a shame that critters are so poorly optimized.

8 minutes ago, psusi said:

What's causing the lag? 

Time I guess... It's a weird type of lag. The game is completely playable but becomes unpleasant. The cycles are longer, dupes take a reasonable fraction of time to get a new chore after finishing one. It's a completely different experience from the first 100 cycles when everything looks gorgeous and the art style of the game shows itself in its peak. Overall, 3 dupes can do the same jobs 30 dupes do but at the cost of time. On the other hand, I feel like doing things this way makes the game more smooth for much longer in the long run. My crowded bases are much more laggy and having 15-20 idle dupes makes me feel I really didn't need that population contributing to make performance even worse. Don't get me wrong, a crowded base with an active population doing all sort of stuff is much more pleasant to look at and to play with but is a more fragile toy in my opinion and will break faster than the minimalistic one.

Its an interesting issue of management.  You need dupes to accomplish tasks in a reasonable amount of time, but you don't want so many that they stand around twiddling their thumbs a lot of the time. 

In many of my bases I've added some "Bored dupe" jobs.  For example, I have a set of hamster wheels at priority 1 that can always send power to the grid and reduce my overall fuel resource load.  They're built in such a way that dupes will only run for a short time before getting kicked off to see if there are more pressing tasks they should be taking care of.

9 hours ago, BT_20 said:

I warned you lol 

it is strange even with the blocked off pathing the lag is still intense. 
its a shame that critters are so poorly optimized.

I said I have all of that and still NO lag.  Well, aside from the auto save lag.

8 hours ago, Junksteel said:

Don't get me wrong, a crowded base with an active population doing all sort of stuff is much more pleasant to look at and to play with but is a more fragile toy in my opinion and will break faster than the minimalistic one.

Yea, that is why I don't go crazy and go to 80 dupes like some people have said they do.  Before release I topped out at 12, but now I'm at 14 ( 16 if you count the two in rockets ) and still don't have any lag.  Dupes don't take any time to figure out what task to do next.  Sometimes they are idle, but not that much.  Last year I started to see lag mostly in pufts and morbs when I had a lot of those.

8 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

They're built in such a way that dupes will only run for a short time before getting kicked off to see if there are more pressing tasks they should be taking care of.

How do you do that?  I just have one wheel and when I know I am giving a lot of orders, I disable it and when I start to see idle dupes again, I enable it.

2 minutes ago, psusi said:

How do you do that?  I just have one wheel and when I know I am giving a lot of orders, I disable it and when I start to see idle dupes again, I enable it.

You can use automation.  A 10 second buffer gate and a not gate can make a wheel stop for an instant and makes the dupe stop using it.  It is a little more complicated than that, but I think this is enough to understand how to get it working.

1 minute ago, Zarquan said:

You can use automation.  A 10 second buffer gate and a not gate can make a wheel stop for an instant and makes the dupe stop using it.  It is a little more complicated than that, but I think this is enough to understand how to get it working.

What do you connect the automation to?  I didn't think the wheel had automation and I'm almost certain it doesn't have both an input and an output.  I guess if it has an input you could use a timer and that would mostly work out sort of OK.  Hrm...

9 minutes ago, psusi said:

What do you connect the automation to?  I didn't think the wheel had automation and I'm almost certain it doesn't have both an input and an output.  I guess if it has an input you could use a timer and that would mostly work out sort of OK.  Hrm...

most likely a power shutoff, that's how I disable them

29 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

most likely a power shutoff, that's how I disable them

I was thinking more how to detect when someone starts running on them, but I suppose you can use a timer circuit and just not really care if it is aligned to when they start.  Not quite as efficient, but I suppose it works.

27 minutes ago, psusi said:

I was thinking more how to detect when someone starts running on them, but I suppose you can use a timer circuit and just not really care if it is aligned to when they start.  Not quite as efficient, but I suppose it works.

Off the top of my head, dupe sensors->filter set to 10-60 seconds (however long you want them to run)->airlock door would work. 

1 minute ago, beowulf2010 said:

Off the top of my head, dupe sensors->filter set to 10-60 seconds (however long you want them to run)->airlock door would work. 

Of course!  I really should start using those.

5 hours ago, psusi said:

Connect a smart battery to the automation port of a hamster wheel and, with a "NOT" gate, to transformer.  Connect the power output of the wheel to the smart battery and the 'high' side of the transformer.  Connect the 'low' end of the transformer to the power grid.  When the battery needs charging, it disables the transformer and enables the wheel. Dupe hops on and charges the battery up pretty quickly (since no power is being drained).  Battery gets full, turning off the wheel and turning on the transformer, letting the power out onto your grid.  You can then adjust the sliders to control how long dupes spend on the wheel when it turns on.  

You can also do 3 wheels with a large battery and a single transformer with no automation.  Large battery will charge at 200 watts even if grid needs 1kw of power.  This has the occasional downside of keeping a single (or pair of) dupe(s) active continually.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:18 AM, Neotuck said:

I have also been looking at using wild shine bugs as well, and this has been my best solution so far.

The phenumatic doors is so wild shine eggs can be dropped inside and eggshells can be collected

I also turned them into nature parks just for fun :)

20200204121659_1.thumb.jpg.2bfaca912bfc7a276d23788bb45d491f.jpg20200204121707_1.thumb.jpg.456f6a328e47e0e9cdc8c4f5c7cf06ec.jpg

I have to say, this is a great setup.     Nice work!  

You could probably even seal the room up  and fill it with CO2   so your food can just sit on the floor to prevent them from getting stale.  This way,  dupes can pick them up at their leisure.    

Archived