Something New - Elevation

Just throwing an idea that probably will never be implemented, if you saw or played Dark Souls and specially Death Stranding there is a like system (no dislikes) for messages and/or structures you build. That could be nice to encourage more people to build signs pointing to somewhere, or ladders to climb the cliffs and many other things like an alchemy near portal, minibase in the mactusks or crockpots around the world. Speaking mostly for public servers. And there would be no advantage for getting likes, just your character saying something related to "looks like someone is putting our stuff to good use", actually, there could be some small advantage in form of recovering 3hp, 3 hunger, 1 sanity. I don't know, food for thought, ladders reminded me of Death Stranding.

Edit: That's just a ploy for me to actually get more free crockpots around the world.

26 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

We're being watched now... by someone, and I may have recieved a direct message

This has to happen at some point.. If not for DST then for some brand new DST game.. The Elevated plots of Land, the Illustrated drawings of How it could work, Wes tying Balloons to himself to float upwards. 

If this Never happens I will be quite sad :( This is the FUTURE of Don’t Starve.

Also I want to throw this out there: Don’t Starve Mobile allows you (In addition to rotating the camera in a circle) pinch the screen Zooming in or Out up into the Clouds.. I Think We May Actually need that Camera angle, or at the very least an Over Head Camera Angle when/If Elevated Land ends up being used.

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This has to happen at some point.. If not for DST then for some brand new DST game.. The Elevated plots of Land, the Illustrated drawings of How it could work, Wes tying Balloons to himself to float upwards. 

If this Never happens I will be quite sad :( This is the FUTURE of Don’t Starve.

Also I want to throw this out there: Don’t Starve Mobile allows you (In addition to rotating the camera in a circle) pinch the screen Zooming in or Out up into the Clouds.. I Think We May Actually need that Camera angle, or at the very least an Over Head Camera Angle when/If Elevated Land ends up being used.

Well PC DST has that zoom out too, its the scroll wheel

But it would be nice if you could zoom out more in a elevated biome

7 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

Well PC DST has that zoom out too, its the scroll wheel

But it would be nice if you could zoom out more in a elevated biome

I don’t think Xbox and PS4 has a Zoom in or Out feature, but we will at least need a new camera Angle for Elevated Land. 

This has to be one of the best ideas I've seen for DST, it would make it so much more fun and interesting, what if we had scaleable hills or mountains? or build elevations in our base? 

I really hope this gets added

2 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

And by being Watched, I mean the Devs are now watching this 'experiment', but don't think its gonna be addded 100%, but the chance has risen from 0 to something

Please Continue to draw many more concept Arts like the one with Wes using Balloons, You’ve got the devs attention, now draw lots of pretty illustrations as to how it could work!

Roll down Rope ladders.. 

Winona Experimenting with flinging poor Wolfgang up to Elevated Plots Of Land using her catapults (Idk Wolfgang just looks like the kind of circus dude you’d see shot out of a Canon.) HaHa 

Oh wait I know!! Myself and @Canis Really really want WALANI Added to the game so your next pretty Drawing should Illustrate Walani and crew Using her crafted Surfboards to fit into a small Canyon between two elevated Walls that the large Boat Cookies can not fit into. 

@FuffledBeeQueen Also Webber being a Spider and All wouldn’t it also make ALOT of sense for him to be able to craft his own version of Ladder out of Spider Web to climb elevated walls as part of his character Rework? These types of ladders would only be useable by Webber because well He’s a Spider.

Maybe they can require a couple extra materials so that Webber players aren’t just instantly scaling up every wall surface they see.. Such as Sticky Web Balloons that can be tossed at the wall to create one small portion of a Web Ladder or something. Just food for thought.

Since I do love the WIP kits that Klei introduced with the Celestial Portal and Wurt's Merm king, I would like a structure you could build that's a WIP kit for a wooden slope. When you craft it at first, it would only be place-able on walls, and it would snap to the grid. Once built you would need rope, logs, and planks to finish the WIP kit. Once all of the materials are gathered, it will be a fully finished wooden slope that you can place turf on like any other slope. The wooden slope sides will be wood instead of the earthy slopes that spawn naturally. This is for traversing certain routes easier and quicker instead of finding a natural slope thats some where on one side of a hill. Its expensive to build, and takes a long time to finish so its not spammable like boats are. The wooden ramps can be damaged by fire, explosives, and enemies. Any enemies that attack walls when theres no player nearby, will attack the slope just the same damaging it, making it useless until you repair it will planks.

Originally this idea was only begging Klei to please NERF BOAT KITS... but with the thought of Elevated Land, Rope Bridges (or Craftable Bridges Of Any Kind Really) That require you to place one end at Area A and the other end at Area B to create would fit in quite nicely with this I think.

1 hour ago, Nickolai said:

Hmmm i was thinking, what if rooted lure plants that are by edges has their roots/eye-plants sprouting from the walls, and they eat/hit anything that come near?

This is where @FuffledBeeQueen comes in and draws you a Reimagined image of their Winona and Wes Drawing Except Replacing Winona with Wes, And Wes with Wheeler, he Has now tied his Balloons around Wheeler and she has her Blaster Aimed right at that pesky plant.

Jokes aside, there will always be someone trying to come up with ways to grief or exploit new ideas.. so while your example is a hilarious one, I’m pretty sure Klei (If this Idea does get added) will know a good Work around.

Hmm.. With elevation players cant just walk off the edge, instead certain monsters give knockback that would make you fall of an edge. Like maybe you have a spider warrior cornering you on a cliff edge and it decides to knock you back with its jumping attack.

The ruins maze will be more dangerous with walls on both sides, making it harder to traverse it like a real maze should.

Oh most defiantly my good Fellow or Madam! I want to be able to take fall damage, I WANT to see death notifications like:

Wilson tried to Test the Theory behind Gravity, He Became a Spooky Ghost!

Wendy had flashback Of her sister falling off a cliff & tried to save her, She Became a Spooky Ghost!

Wes didn’t use enough Balloons when jumping off a ledge, He Became a Spooky Ghost!

Elevation adds so much more to Gameplay, and with Elevated Land I expect some already existing enemy types to get some new “Push” Attacks, that make fighting near a ledge even MORE Dangerous for example- 

BE7A4D7C-E294-44F4-8949-C7AADDF77D6C.gif

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Oh most defiantly my good Fellow or Madam! I want to be able to take fall damage, I WANT to see death notifications like:

Wilson tried to Test the Theory behind Gravity, He Became a Spooky Ghost!

Wendy had flashback Of her sister falling off a cliff & tried to save her, She Became a Spooky Ghost!

Wes didn’t use enough Balloons when jumping off a ledge, He Became a Spooky Ghost!

Elevation adds so much more to Gameplay, and with Elevated Land I expect some already existing enemy types to get some new “Push” Attacks, that make fighting near a ledge even MORE Dangerous for example- 

BE7A4D7C-E294-44F4-8949-C7AADDF77D6C.gif

Imagine the pig king even on a elevated hill arena and you just hit a pig contender off the ledge, that would be hilarious.

Elevation would play a big part in the ruins. The guardian maze would actually be a maze for once and not as easy to traverse it. The atrium room would finally have the murals on the walls that come out of the dark abyss. The developers would finally have that added in the game like they wanted. The rocky Rocklobster biome would be really cool to traverse with hills and cliffs.

22 hours ago, Nickolai said:

Imagine the pig king even on a elevated hill arena and you just hit a pig contender off the ledge, that would be hilarious.

ACTUALLY Ever since they added this Sign Smacking Mini-Game I’ve wanted a Better Version Of it Similar to SMITES old Limited Time Sudden Death Mode (Which was Sadly removed from the game and Never seen again But luckily nice videos like this still exist..)

Imagine a PVE Mode like This or a PVP Mode like this, OR even Better a PVE Mixed WITH PVP Mode like This, Where you can play on teams against the Pigs, or Every man for themselves without Pigs involved, OR Every man for himself Including Pigs! 

The Objective- The only useable weapon are those Signs & to Knock Everyone else off into the Fiery lava pit to be the Last Man Standing.

(In Smite you could also just kill the other players without knocking them in Lava but now.. where’s the fun in that?!)

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Which was Sadly removed from the game and Never seen again But luckily nice videos like this still exist..

Yes and No, it was re-introduced in Persephone's Underground Arena again in a different setting. They tend to reuse some old concepts for some events

Okay so I wanted to add to this idea a bit more.. when it comes to elevated plots of land and paths that let you travel from one elevated area into another such as in this Picture..

How would this work with gameplay Mechanics like AntLion Attacks?? Will the bridge crumble as he attacks you over it? 

What about when Earthquakes happen down in Caves, will that now cause landslides creating Elevated areas of land?

(also it is sad this thread has been moved to Suggestions.. this is usually where most threads go to die.. :( )

5ADF6CC8-2676-47DB-A461-6076E7723CB2.jpeg

On 2/24/2020 at 3:09 PM, Nickolai said:

Hmmm i do like the idea of overhangs but i would rather have the land go up and down and thats it, over hangs would be harder to implement and would cause problems with camera angels.

Over hangs would function as a safe haven from rain or blizzards.. they would literally be a life saving resting spot for WX78.

and IF Strong winds that can blow out campfires existed within the game, they would also probably be an easier place to set up a Campfire from wind.

You could also fall off the ledges and die should you happen to be running through the forest in the dark or something with only the light from a warm thermal stone..

TL:DR It would serve more of a an Actual functional gameplay purpose other than just being there to look purely cosmetic.

as for the issue with camera angles, we can already flip those in a 360 degree spin, so for Xbox maybe holding both the left spin & the right spin can provide us with a Temporary over head view angle.

Although some of the Klei Vignettes themselves seem to suggest that cliff ledges should already be part of the game.

42D1826A-0B29-4255-8AFA-91BBD842D3B8.png

6645AAAA-B770-4617-B7DB-60C2A8D3C749.png

Archived