Something New - Elevation

It couldn’t be retro-Fitted into already existing worlds, because if they did that you would log into your game to discover a massive mountain just sprung up over night in the middle of your living room.

It would have no choice but to be something that can only exist in new worlds.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

It couldn’t be retro-Fitted into already existing worlds, because if they did that you would log into your game to discover a massive mountain just sprung up over night in the middle of your living room.

It would have no choice but to be something that can only exist in new worlds.

Why wouldn't it retrofit just like that?

To be honest a new land ( a realistic actual volcano?) would be way better for this.

People hate major change and propably everyone knows that.

26 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Why wouldn't it retrofit just like that?

To be honest a new land ( a realistic actual volcano?) would be way better for this.

People hate major change and propably everyone knows that.

But it’s not like something like this would effect their current already existing game saves..? The game has tons of customization options prior to starting your server.

I in Particular want an Archipelago style World Gen Setting. 

Elevated plots of Land would work in the same exact Way as that.

The only real issue is.. is it too much work to do for Klei to bother with?

This kinda Idea seems like the kind of HUGE gameplay change you would see between a game and it’s Sequel.

So I highly doubt Retro-Fitting already existing worlds to be compatible would be an option.

But then again.. only Klei knows for sure.

But the TL:DR more World Gen Settings are never a BAD Thing, Maybe one day I feel like playing Classic DS Biomes, Maybe the Next day I feel like playing on an Archipelago Server. 

11 hours ago, Nickolai said:

Most people complain that elevated terrian would mess up base building, which i totally disagree. Forests, deserts, plains, deciduous forest, and swamp, are all biomes that are flat, and are what bases are built in, making megabases uneffected.

I disagree that megabases would be unaffected... because they'd be positively affected by this! A big part of the fun of megabasing imo is building around the world you get, both the irreplaceable things (boulders, bones, reeds, etc) and the shape can be used to your advantage to make unique builds, especially in SW where every single island is sectioned off from each other with ocean, and I think having different levels of elevation like this would lead to a very similar kind of feeling. A very simple potential build that immediately comes to my mind is a mountain village, with thatched cottages and evergreens.

I do think that this isn't the kind of thing that could be put into the regular DST world we're used to, though. Retrofitting would absolutely not work for something like this, and Klei seems super dedicated to retrofitting everything possible (and continuing to run unique lunar new year events), it's possible that someone out there has played the same world since before ANR, and while they'd have some wonky placement of the oasis desert/bee queen/etc, they'd still have almost all of the same content that a new world does. I'd absolutely love to see something like this in the form of a new shard, though, maybe an alpine-themed world.

1 hour ago, QuartzBeam said:

Elevation is one of those things that I'd love to see in the DS/T franchise, but only in a new game.

It's not the short of thing that you introduce to a game that's already 5-6 years into its lifetime.

I would agree with this, except we live in the year 2020, Where game companies have (mostly) phased out churning out a new sequel every year or so, and instead focus on adding more and more to a game that’s already out there.

I can name several off the top of my head.

SMITE

Paladins

For Honor

State of Decay 2

GTA V

Rainbow Six Siege

STEEP

Ark Survival Evolved

Minecraft

Fortnite

We live in a age were Sequels are a thing of the past.. and instead we get year 1, year 2, year 3 etc game updates.

Tbh I had a few talks with someone that has experimented with walls, and in fact if you were to place Walls in a specific manner (can't be done without cmds Im afraid) you can create 'stairs' and elevation, Frog Rain already uses the physics we talk about here and its possible for a frog to get stuck on top of a wall, so in theory it is completly possible without many changes to Physics, I could try to recreate it in a way to maybe make a demo

On 2/2/2020 at 11:34 AM, SonicDen220 said:

Reminds me of the time when caves in singleplayer had walls

I honestly miss them so much. Made them feel like actual caves to me, and I was a little disappointed they were gone. 

Overall, I don't think that this idea would be too far-fetched at all; however, I am a little worried about how ledges could warp gameplay. Would the ledges block off certain areas because the wall is facing you instead of the other way around? Would getting hit only apply when you reach a certain level of height from the enemy, and can it be abused? How would flying AI pathing work? Not trying to sound rude, I apologize if I come off that way, but there are a few questions that come to mind when trying to flesh this out. 

In my personal opinion, I'd like to see this added in its own biome with a snowy-peak (much like OP mentioned).

Now this is for everyone that says this would be too much work for something this silly
It is wonky, but it works. Physics work a bit weird in DST, if the Object is .4 high, you will be slowly ascended, I made a stairwell of .4, .8, 1.2, 1.6 and finished on 1.8 height because for some reason 2 wasnt crossable... but ya, its totally doable, just needs a few tweaks (and if its a smoother increment of +.1 instead of +.4 it actually is smooth)
1YhlGZ91ix.gif

@FuffledBeeQueen

For the physics in DST, most objects are capsules.  In real life terms think of them as pills for medicine: elongated ovals.  They're technically a cylinder with a sphere stitched onto the ends, but scaling lets the sphere be a sphereoid in shape.

The physics engine is bullet, which supports flat planes and such easily, so the ramp you're making out of capsules via the walls would be a lot smoother if it were a plane.

I asked Klei to add more physics shapes to play with a long while ago to extend the modding capabilities, but alas.

Having a cuboid shape would be more than enough provided you can deform its shape through scaling on the three axis and rotation for most modding applications.  Having other shapes like right triangle pyramids and such would make for easy ramps and be great for more stuff.

Right now the LUA side we have access to cylinders and capsules, but we can't orientate them or scale them too arbitrarily.

Last One, shows that also multilayers are possible
uwOiFdAQFF.gif
The only issues so far are, Player Gravity is too weak, needs to be strengthened by a lot, Players can interact with Objects below or above them, some rendering issues for objs higher up (Or I have no idea how to math these out properly) and your shadow doesnt follow, but that's about all I noticed. Just a few things behind the scenes to do and its p. much ready. Also, for some reason the Ocean still exists when you are on y 100 and drowns you as soon as you attempt to enter it in mid air

1 hour ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

uwOiFdAQFF.gif
The only issues so far are, Player Gravity is too weak, needs to be strengthened by a lot, Players can interact with Objects below or above them, some rendering issues for objs higher up (Or I have no idea how to math these out properly) and your shadow doesnt follow, but that's about all I noticed. Just a few things behind the scenes to do and its p. much ready. Also, for some reason the Ocean still exists when you are on y 100 and drowns you as soon as you attempt to enter it in mid air

This looks soooo good. :( I want this why is it not already in the game?

6 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

uwOiFdAQFF.gif

Well, you now need to place some grass on top of that thing and you are done. I don't think it's possible to render normal ground texture up there as it's very tricky coded, some sort of fake covering will be required.

Your hills idea is doable code-wise, but it will require to recode lots of things, because Y is mostly ignored and unused.

4 hours ago, Desblat said:

Well, you now need to place some grass on top of that thing and you are done. I don't think it's possible to render normal ground texture up there as it's very tricky coded, some sort of fake covering will be required.

Your hills idea is doable code-wise, but it will require to recode lots of things, because Y is mostly ignored and unused.

Indeed, but this is a case with all new features,
The Ocean needed its Filters, smooth transitioning between different water levels, new method of traveling through it, new void with a new edge (which is a 3D model with heavy filters)
The Skins needed to completely turn the game's AnimState on its head, have virtual inventories made, have a way to trasition between it, currency, [blah blah blah]

What I'm trying to say, Elevation doesn't require as much as people want to believe it to

Even if Klei makes this biome specific, it would change modding altogether. Even more people would like it since it wouldn't effect their mega bases, it would be retrofitting possible. Even if other people like me who would like it for the entire world gen, it will still be possible since you can make mods so it effect the entire world because it would already be in the game via that biome.

On 2020-02-03 at 2:43 PM, __IvoCZE__ said:

Wilson fell from a high place. He became a spooky ghost!

I'd unironically love it if they made it humerous, because only an idiot would die of fall damage.

Wilson jumped off the edge to scientifically prove if there is fall damage. And there is. And now he's dead.

Today Willow found out, that she is infact, not a phoenix.

Wigfrid thought she could reach Valhalla prematurely. Silly Wigfrid.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (maxwells death)

Webber thought he could climb the wall. He couldn't.

Wes thought he could fly.

Wendy had enough.

Archived