Something New - Elevation

2 hours ago, BreadScientist said:

ye except all the things you listed there are actual content (some of which I don't think added much to the game) while changing how terrain functions at all is pointless and just makes traversing the world "1000000x more" so.... you. are. wrong. 

i mean i guess the change wouldn't add any mobs or weapons but like i think the change would be significant in how the player traverses the world (think the changes in how the player would have to go about mapping the world, instead of just circling the entire world you'd have to take into account the hills and stuff, assuming the change is thought through there would be neat set pieces that involve hills that would be cool to look out for) and how the player interacts with it (think the way you'd base and the different mob interactions you'd have to think about) 

long story short it'd just make the world a lot more interesting both to look at and to work with compared to a flat plain and im unsure why you've shown so much resistance to the idea as if it'd make the game twenty times worse

8 hours ago, SonicDen220 said:

Reminds me of the time when caves in singleplayer had walls. I haven't been playing the game at that time yet though.
This is the only image of really old caves I found:
latest?cb=20130514181244&path-prefix=ru

Makes me wonder, what was not working back then that they had to make the change. And what's different there, from OP's idea.

Here I am envisioning nothing important, just the "generating world" animation including mountains on the surface side. No biggie.

(I really like this idea, I'd love if we could scale a mountain biome with it's own unique resources and mobs which progressively gets colder as we reach the skies. Perhaps to tie in with Return of Them, there could be a spot on the very top to channel the sacred iridescent gem or something. Mountain biomes could easily work as it's own update too. :D)

image.png.fc60e4fa034fcd4d33b38ebfc4c84c21.png  

I like this idea a lot; I also do think that it would take a ton of work considering the fact that entire biomes would have to be redesigned with these elevations in mind.

I think it would be awesome if - just like with creating turf - you could create a platform-turf that juts out of elevated land kind of like IRL wooden ocean-fishing platforms. It's obviously an extra element of complication to an already-complicated coding predicament; just throwing it out there as a silly idea that I came up as I was typing this comment.

Heres my reasons and thoughts on why i think elevated terrian would change DST for the good and why this is what DST needs.

Most people complain that elevated terrian would mess up base building, which i totally disagree. Forests, deserts, plains, deciduous forest, and swamp, are all biomes that are flat, and are what bases are built in, making megabases uneffected.

With this idea there could be more world gen variety to choose, like having the flat biome have subtle raise on land, or making the rocky biomes be more crazy with higher elevation and steeper slopes. 

Having elevation also changes early game with world exploration since you are not just holding W for an hour.

New setpieces can be added with elevation. Pig king can be on a hill in the center of the village. Old and new structures could be built on the walls for decor and use, like torch holders, wall lamps, storage shelves.

Unique base designs could be added with different routes to get to the top of the hill with the protection from dangerous mobs and even other players if you like being a hermit. 

Sinkholes can be on the walls instead of the ground making it be like a natural cave entrance. New enimies could be made for walls that come out and hit you if you get close. Waterfalls could even be a thing and would look nice for a base in a plains thats snuggled next to a mountain.

Don't Starve for the longest time has played as a flat game in a 3D enviroment. The terrian has not changed for the lightest bit for years making it predictable and boring. With elevated terrian it changes that and makes the game fun to learn again and explore like it did when you very fist played it back when Maxwell puzzles wasnt a thing.

I support this idea :). Generally speaking, I wished this idea and more other world generation options should have appeared in Hamlet (...). I hope Klei would rework the land mass, too. This is kinda the reason why I dislike single player basic worlds and camp in adventure mode. Elevation would can, no will, remove the plainness of some biomes and like op said before, player navigation will play a bigger role. You can see the gold ore rock on the screen, but you cannot see any slopes to climb the hill. Now you have to explore a bit...

For enemies of elevation and friends of megabases there could be an world option to turn these pesky hills and holes off.

I'm against terraforming because it would bring more cheese/grief options.

Above all, it is important know that Klei does not make updates random, but every update has a story that fits into DST.. And explain to us how height is related to the story of the game and its tradition? This is the main reason why I think it will never be in the game. 

7 minutes ago, Fi7iP said:

There are obviously mountains in cannon DST, but not in actual gameplay because Klei did not think about the Slopes and elevation at first when making the game.
image.png.2a3f133431e3c41a9a8cf3d6de3a3163.png

Wilson looking over a cliff onto the horizon
it might be just the edge of the ocean but i'm pretty sure on how its drawn its a cliff
Don't Starve Together :: Don't Starve Together Roadmap 2019

2 minutes ago, Fi7iP said:

@NickolaiInteresting picture, where did you get it? I still can't imagine that something like the one in the picture would be in the game.

Its official art, and is in the game, just go in your Vignettes

Also if that doesnt back it up very well, after ROT, "Them" could be angered by the moons presence and start to terraform the caves altering the surface above.

1 hour ago, Nickolai said:

There are obviously mountains in cannon DST, but not in actual gameplay because Klei did not think about the Slopes and elevation at first when making the game.
image.png.2a3f133431e3c41a9a8cf3d6de3a3163.png

Wilson looking over a cliff onto the horizon
it might be just the edge of the ocean but i'm pretty sure on how its drawn its a cliff
Don't Starve Together :: Don't Starve Together Roadmap 2019

100% This.. THANK YOU.

People hating on the thought of mountains and sloped terrain being added to DST, when these official Art Works from the Developer’s Themselves seem to Suggest that it’s at least something that has always been on their Minds.

Heres even more proof cliffs and slopes exist in the constant, it looks just like the concepts by fufflesimage.thumb.png.4693b074d65024770fb99d07a9515c11.png

image.thumb.png.54981ebc57c7f7901a61ab1a4539a637.png

It would be so cool to fight off the hounds and werepings as you stand on top of a hill where the moonstone is

image.thumb.png.7f2200f70ba1ac9e14920ebf45d28e48.png

Theres even more mountains or trees that are on steep hills behind wilson

image.thumb.png.773194e553636d188f49326d9d00b2f2.png

21 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

DST has always felt a bit flat for a 3D Game if you know what I mean, but this could easily change, maybe not in Return of Them, maybe in a distant future, but I think it would be nice if we add a new concept into the game; Elevation

Now what do I mean by that, well DST has a Y-Axis, its not used much, but its there. now what if we could use it? or perhaps how? Well, let's Elevate the Terrerain.
Would it be too hard for the devs? I think no, not really. How Elevation could be pulled off would be quite simple same with physics and how they could be applied
(In Turfs)

K7WX2GH.png

Obviously this is not to scale, but it gives you the general idea of what it could look like. If we so chose to elevate a Tile, it would be impassable from the sides, since its physically higher than your current level (the wall texture could be the one we see on the ledges when close to the ocean) to enter such tiles, you would climb up from a slope. Slopes themselves are tiles on which you can't build anything since that's too much of a hassle. Their only function is to elevate the player. Now, how I'd like the generation for this to happen; Tiles wouldn't really be messy with this if you know what I mean.
LfCfvUA.png

This is a good example of what should be avoided. It's messy and just not nice to look at.

la5ShgM.png   

This is a good example for what should be done. The Ledges are smooth and if ya get me it should
    increase in a pulse like manner instead of just random elevation everywhere around.

But now, what would this allow you to do? Actually a lot. With Elevation you could make new biomes,
   mountains with frozen peak biomes with new creatures and old and what not, add new heights for         old biomes, such as keep your classic Forests and plains on the low height, but give the Savannah a     nice elevated level. Add Wall Creatures, Wall Dens, Waterfalls even? with the new water tech you         could probably make very nice rivers and such!

Obviously Generation can also take a different approach, instead of 1 Tile Elevation, you could go 2, 3 and such! This is another example of how you can            make such thing real!
 teOdIIE.png

You're probably curious how it could look in the actual game instead of these graph like sketches, well with the power of stretch and skew, I can give you a       demo/example of what this could look like.

5wltS2T.png

Obviously this is just image trickery, but it gets the idea across. Now for how impossible is this?
You'd be surprised when I tell you not really. Obviously Modders can't do this because it requires a few engine edits. but overall Im 99% sure the floor is already a 3D Cube (because of the ledges around the ocean) so there should be no problem to recreate this 'edge' for elevated Tiles, Slopes would need a new model and a few physic edits. The Boundry code would need another update to check for slopes and walls. Other than that engine wise it shouldn't be difficult.

I assume the Camera follows the player at a specified offset, so if the player's Y updates, the camera's should too, the only problem would be what happens when you walk infront of a wall and your camera starts clipping, well I think it could be possible to make the camera make the sides of the ledges invisible to the player and the upper top and give the player a dark outline around the screen to indicate they are looking through a wall.

Other than that the only problem would be, could the engine handle rendering too many entities when you are high up, an idea to mask this would be clouds the higher up you are, other than that that could be another challenge. but keep in mind Im not asking for 20 tile high mountains, I'd say a Max of 7 Elevations possible would be good limit.

Other than that, yeah tell me what you think, could this be a theme for its own new 'DLC' theme? If you are a dev reading this, drop a comment too, is this in theory possible? or would it fail somehow? Im eager to see what you could also come up with in the comments! any ideas for something attached to the wall like a twig/root with a birds nest, decor or dens/cave entrances in the walls, Biomes high up on the mountains such as frozen peaks, and in general anything that comes to mind when hearing 'Elevation'.

Cheerio!

Hey, would you think that things like stone and wood walls would need 3D modelling if so?To fit with the mountains and where how the walls work, it would kind of remove the awkward edges of them when you view on them sideways. 3D structures in DST... let that sink in for a moment. Something we can actually build and destroy. Mm. I think this game having some more 3 dimensional stuff will give a beginning to something greater for basebuilders to play with.

Maybe I did the quite a bit too big there.

While I do fancy to a certain extent the presented concept of elevation, I would like it be implemented - as others stated above - on a new island biome, not main Constant land in a generalized manner, as imo that would create additional problems (not only related to base design): camera-position inconsistencies, mobs getting stuck, new exploits etc.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

While I do fancy to a certain extent the presented concept of elevation, I would like it be implemented - as others stated above - on a new island biome, not main Constant land in a generalized manner, as imo that would create additional problems (not only related to base design): camera-position inconsistencies, mobs getting stuck, new exploits etc.

This. Plus retrofitting this onto old content will be a massive pain.

On other notes:

I'd love to see mountainous areas teeming with Tallbirds and their relatives that can fly, and relatives of the volt Goats adapted to mountain life.

Also, there's the concept, i think, of depth.

Depth in the sense of valley areas for the overworld, or small ditches which make puddles which make mosquitoes in the spring. But what i'd like to see depth implemented in is caves. Imagine if adventuring into the mudflats led you through a narrow, constantly descending passageway, which transition into Ruins' stairs? 

59 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

This. Plus retrofitting this onto old content will be a massive pain.

On other notes:

I'd love to see mountainous areas teeming with Tallbirds and their relatives that can fly, and relatives of the volt Goats adapted to mountain life.

Also, there's the concept, i think, of depth.

Depth in the sense of valley areas for the overworld, or small ditches which make puddles which make mosquitoes in the spring. But what i'd like to see depth implemented in is caves. Imagine if adventuring into the mudflats led you through a narrow, constantly descending passageway, which transition into Ruins' stairs? 

I’m pretty sure this would NOT Retro-Fit into already existing worlds.

Because it seems to be yet another one of those many settings you would toggle on or off prior to actually hosting you worlds Identical in every way to World Gen Branches, World Gen Loops, Etc...

Stop hating on this idea guys seriously- It’s not like adding it will completely Remodel your already existing mega bases..

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m pretty sure this would NOT Retro-Fit into already existing worlds.

Because it seems to be yet another one of those many settings you would toggle on or off prior to actually hosting you worlds Identical in every way to World Gen Branches, World Gen Loops, Etc...

Stop hating on this idea guys seriously- It’s not like adding it will completely Remodel your already existing mega bases..

Please quit thinking that my diasgreements and observations on the viability of an idea as "hatred". Quite frankly, it's becoming irritating.

How many times do I have to repeat the fact that disagreeing does not - and should never - include feelings like hatred?

Or do you insist that everyone should agree to whatever idea you and all the people who post suggestions in General Discussion without first trying to prove how sound these ideas may be?

I merely stated my concerns of adding such a massive change to the worldgen code - which, by the way, will probably not work like toggleable Land Loops/Land Branches due to the scale of the changes needed much like the Return of Them Ocean - being taxing on both the developers' and clients' part to retrofit into existing worlds, in agreement with @x0-VERSUS-1y.

Where is the hatred in that? 

Archived