Something New - Elevation

1 minute ago, BreadScientist said:

okay adding an archipelago option would be way easier than fundamentally changing how terrain functions lol

No.. because Archipelago breaks each Biome up into its own island separated by a body of Water.

Both Elevated lands and Archipelago should exist in this game.

Minecraft has elevated land, yeah I know Minecraft is 3D, DST is 2D don’t even start that argument because I can easily debunk it by mentioning one game-

Sonic CD.. never played it? Kay well... it was a mostly flat game with elevated land platforms just like the concept sets drawn here...you couldn’t rotate or move the camera either which is an advantage DST has over the ol Blue Hedgehog.

Just now, BreadScientist said:

all DST worlds should look like this in the future: Image result for q bert"

The elevated worldgen will be in calm pulses so traversing terrain is not a biggie, if you havent read the entire post by Fuffles you should.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Xbox and PlayStation do not have mods, so I really wish you all would stop saying “oh there’s a mod for that.”

because as far as consoles go there isn’t... and we only get what Klei feels like Officially adding into the game.

my point is that adding an archipelago world is a very simple task, simple enough that a modder is capable of putting it into the game themselves

there are no mods that add elevation to the game because that completely changes the fundamentals of the game. while there are mods that change the fundamentals of the game (for example: first person mod is a pretty incredible feat), if it was easy to add elevation to the game engine someone would have definitely done it by now

1 minute ago, Nickolai said:

The elevated worldgen will be in calm pulses so traversing terrain is not a biggie, if you havent read the entire post by Fuffles you should.

Ya, people prefer looking at pics instead of actually reading it, the height increases are supposed to be smooth, not chaotic
I dont want each tile to have a randomly assigned height, it should be smooth and have plenty of space to walk around, not have 1 tile on which you dont go upwards anymore

2 minutes ago, BreadScientist said:

all DST worlds should look like this in the future: Image result for q bert"

This is an over-exaggeration.. Think of DS Single Player where the edge of the land was met by an empty lifeless sea (aka an invisible wall you can’t cross)

Elevated land will work the same way as the edge of a world.. only instead of being empty voids of the area you see below can be accessed and explored provided you find the ramp that gets you up or down there.

Its identical in every way to that old Sonic game... so it’s not THAT Big of a change- The only thing it Will Do is keep you from walking in a straight line across all the games biomes.

1 minute ago, Warbucks said:

it's only not possible because klei made it that anything with physics floats down automatically when not on the ground and that can't be changed by modders, if it wasn't like that then it would've been easy to do.

you are only proving my point by saying that klei hardcoded the engine to only be playable in a static plane

Just now, ButteryStancake said:

you are only proving my point by saying that klei hardcoded the engine to only be playable in a static plane

Its not possible to mod because you can't influence how the Land's Cubic Grid is formed. To elaborate, the DST world is made out of turf-sized 3D cubes, which in short either display their side or not based if there is no neighbouring cube. Defining if the Prefab sits ontop of one of these cubes, elevated or not, should not be a problem for the Gravity Calculation. It's not impossible to change for someone that can edit the behind the lua scenes stuff. Lua is only meant to give directions, not create directive commands.

1 minute ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Its not possible to mod because you can't influence how the Land's Cubic Grid is formed. To elaborate, the DST world is made out of turf-sized 3D cubes, which in short either display their side or not based if there is no neighbouring cube. Defining if the Prefab sits ontop of one of these cubes, elevated or not, should not be a problem for the Gravity Calculation. It's not impossible to change for someone that can edit the behind the lua scenes stuff. Lua is only meant to give directions, not create directive commands.

okay so you have explained to me about how the engine only supports a static plane with no elevation

thanks, i guess (?)
EDIT: I did read the entire post

4 minutes ago, ButteryStancake said:

okay so you have explained to me about how the engine only supports a static plane with no elevation

Well yeah, but nothing stops Klei from changing this because they are someone that can make directive commands behind the scenes for this to work. They managed to make a static plane, nothing stops them from making another one higher, and higher and higher with boundaries to prevent people from Sky Walking, It's not impossible, it's no rocket science, it's not hardcoded, It just has to change a few rules behind the scenes

it wouldn't be just changing a "few rules", it would change how the engine functions as a whole and would change a lot of fundamentals about the game in terms of design

DST is a very limited three dimensional game (basically two-dimensional) and redesigning the game to include another axis (not just adding another axis, but making it feel like a natural extension of the game, integrating new functionality and content to utilize this new feature, etc) would take more time and consideration to implement than i think everyone here assumes

the ocean was added to the game over half a year ago and was a very big change in terms of functionality, but it is still extremely barebones and hardly worth the effort of exploring (basically tons of empty, bland, wasted space)

I don't know if I like the idea for the current biomes or game in general in its current state. But maybe for a new biome? Like an actual mountain in the middle of the ocean you had to climb? (SW volcano vibes). 

Or even as a new foundation for a Don't Starve 2? *boss music*

Either way, you put so much work and thought into it. Good job! 

Clearly this (obviously super simplified, bust most of this is already here)

Spoiler

World:MakeNewLayer(0);
World:MakeNewLayer(1);
[and so on for how many one wants to implement]
void EntityOnEnterSlope(entity, turf_starting_point)
{
    if (turf_starting_point == STARTING_POINT.DOWN)
    {
         //increase Y
         if (entity.y >= TURF.HEIGHT)
         {
                entity:SetGroundLayer(entity.current_ground_layer + 1)
         }
    }
    //same with going downwards just inverted
}

Is the same Level as turning a Singleplayer Game into a Multiplayer Game

Archived