Something New - Elevation

My question is how will Enemy A.I. Behave to this?? I mean like could I stand on a ledge and shoot at Deerclops who is walking into a wall on a turf below me repeatedly.. or would Deerclops be smart enough to path around or even “Climb” up there with Me?

51 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

My question is how will Enemy A.I. Behave to this?? I mean like could I stand on a ledge and shoot at Deerclops who is walking into a wall on a turf below me repeatedly.. or would Deerclops be smart enough to path around or even “Climb” up there with Me?

I assume it would work like the water edges, he'd find a path around to you, even if it might take him a while,
Or if Klei is crazy enough, make him climb up the mountain ledge

Seriously though Elevated lands adds a lot of “What Ifs” to the game.

for example What If Earthquakes creates Landslides? 

What if Bosses could “hit” the walls collapsing them into walkable slopes?

People should think about the What Ifs.. before just throwing this idea away. I personally like it myself. :) 

Im completely on board with this. Not only would it make exploration less of "hold w for 50 minutes" and actually more of an interesting sight-seeing experience, it'd maybe even create some challenges along the way. Having a "bottleneck" of an area (ie having an area only be accessible via 1 route) can create some challenge in the world, such as a cave entrance on a hilltop being guarded by tallbirds, or some other mob that'd be found on mountains. Think of Adventure Mode setpieces, but more natural.

Honestly, if Klei dropped everything including reworks and worked on this, I'd be down for it.

A way to fix the camera issue is to have elevated tiles in the way of the camera and the player to become transparent (30-50%), I know other games do a similar thing, but I can't remember names off the top of my head.

Imagine the new structures that could be placed on walls, a torch holder for decor and light you can refuel, various decorative paintings, signs that can show you where to go, shelves to hang and show off stuff, its endless

This is probably the best suggestion I've ever heard for DST. Elevation would give worlds much more variety, and there could be special setpieces, like an old broken fort on top of a hill, with half-used spears lying next to skeletons of fallen survivors.

And elevation could be used more for just small setpieces and looks. Quick delusional example:

A large mountain in the middle of a Lumpy Evergreen forest, with only one ramp on each elevated level. But each ramp is blocked by a mysterious black shadow gate. Each gate requires you to do specific actions in order to be opened. Like killing the Shadow Pieces, completing a Moon Stone Event, killing Fuelweaver, killing 50 nightmare creatures, stuff like that. At the very top of the mountain would be IDK, a piece of the Ancient Gateway that you have to attach after a fight with Fuelweaver (seriously Klei, when is that Gateway going to do something).

I really hope that this elevation idea would be implemented someday.

I love this idea. I've never even thought about elevation, and now that I have, & reading everyone's ideas here, it could add so, so, so much to the game. Hopefully Klei takes not for their next big update. Actually, I'm sure this idea has had to come up at some point. Klei's perspective on it would be an interesting read.

1 minute ago, BreadScientist said:

It would drastically change the game without adding anything of real value I do not understand why everyone in this thread is so excited over this idea it is so pointless

Okay then, what do you think dst needs?

1 minute ago, BreadScientist said:

It would drastically change the game without adding anything of real value I do not understand why everyone in this thread is so excited over this idea it is so pointless

Just like in reality if your lost in the wilderness on a mountain, your screwed until you climb down and reach the bottom of that mountain.

Running in a straight line away from all your problems should be something a Gameboy game does, DST could and Should have elevated land.. the only thing is- how hard would it be to make those changes?

Plus if you absolutely just HATE the Idea for Whatever Reason, Theres a lot of fancy toggle options to change how your worlds are generated prior to hosting your game worlds.. consider turning some of those on or off?

Not trying to sound like a complete jerk here- But it’s one of those things that NEEDS to be part of the game for those of us who would love it, and can still be set to None- for those of you who are happy with running in a straight line.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

it does not need to b e in the game.

the game would not even be improved by it it would just make things more annoying because now there are less spots where you are able to base

literally this would add nothing but create complexity for no purpose

Just now, BreadScientist said:

the game would not even be improved by it it would just make things more annoying because now there are less spots where you are able to base

In the same way the Archipelago Adventure chapter in Single Player DS did?

Let us enjoy this man.. I Want Archipelago... And I’m still waiting for that to be announced as a world gen option Especially now that BOATS are a large part of DST.

3 minutes ago, BreadScientist said:

Actually think where base spots are,

In plains, desert, forest, and swamp, all of those biomes are commonly flat, so it shouldnt cause issues with building, plus if this does become a real thing, im pretty sure there will be a way to toggle it off.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Running in a straight line away from all your problems should be something a Gameboy game does, DST could and Should have elevated land.. the only thing is- how hard would it be to make those changes?

If DST/DS works how I believe, not too hard for the Devs with access to the Engine. Just at best 1 weeks worth of programming, at worst, perhaps a month? They have some genius programmers there so Im p. sure they could come up with a solution, and then again, the Ocean started as wacky, and ended up looking amazing when they finished polishing it

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Plus if you absolutely just HATE the Idea for Whatever Reason, Theres a lot of fancy toggle options to change how your worlds are generated prior to hosting your game worlds.. consider turning some of those on or off?

With World Gen Options, Im p. sure you could change 'Elevated Lands' from Non Existent up to Bumpy

okay adding an archipelago option would be way easier than fundamentally changing how terrain functions lol

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

In the same way the Archipelago Adventure chapter in Single Player DS did?

Let us enjoy this man.. I Want Archipelago... And I’m still waiting for that to be announced as a world gen option Especially now that BOATS are a large part of DST.

the new stuff added in return of them (oceans and islands) is not as fundamental of a change as completely introducing a new mechanic for terrain elevation and it still took klei several months to put that together

a lot of people in this thread underestimate the amount of effort that would be required to implement this feature and overestimate klei's ability (really? a week?) as well as the benefit it would have on the game

Just now, Warbucks said:

that can be said about literally anything added into the game like the ocean, boats, new characters, new biomes, and everything else. anyways this idea would improve the game 1000000x more so.. you. are. wrong.:wilson_cool:

ye except all the things you listed there are actual content (some of which I don't think added much to the game) while changing how terrain functions at all is pointless and just makes traversing the world "1000000x more" so.... you. are. wrong. 

Archived