Wes needs to win the rework

Wes no joke... is probably going to be the most controversial character that Klei chooses to Refresh.

Because for everyone who has played Solo Don’t Starve They had to get to Adventure Mode Chapter 3 to even unlock and play as the “Secret Challenge Character” WES. So for him to be the Hardest character to play as in Solo DS worked BECAUSE you had to reach certain skill threshold to even unlock him in the first place.

And then there’s Don’t Starve TOGETHER.. Wes is unlocked from the very beginning without having to do anything super special to unlock, so new players who are just picking the game up are only going to see “Cool Looking Mime.” In their character select screen & they are going to have a really REALLY Bad time.. 

A Challenge Character in a Multiplayer game and where everyone else has been getting new toys and gadgets- Simply makes Wes Boring.

So literally the ONLY solution I could come up with that would satisfy both the veteran DS players who want Wes to remain to be super Hardcore, AND the New players who simply see “Super Cool Looking Mime!” And expect him to do Looney Tunes Style Mime Related Stuff.

Is to give Wes Two different Rework choices- Challenge Wes & Fun Mime Wes.

Both get added into the game and you can choose which you want to play upon selecting WES, We get the best of Both Worlds, Wes stops being totally boring and annoying in multiplayer- And HOPEFULLY everyone is 100% happy.

I'm main Wes and I'm not a Pro-player, for me it is rewarding to play with him.

And I am anxious just to think that it will take a few more minutes to get hungry. It is strange for me to take time to get hungry.
Of course, I can forget about eating when I'm building my base, but it happens.

You only notice damage reduction when you fight against spiders.

The size of his stomach, health and sanity is not essential to triumph.

A football helmet solves the problem.

I can even say that it is convenient to have these statuses.

Full life is just soothing. I can be 3/4 life like Maxwell and it won't be impossible to play.

If klei wants to make it vegan ok, but I hate food restrictions. I feel like I'm losing some of the game's content.

Wes can achieve the equivalent of almost all privileges in the game.

Your balloons are a bonus, I always drop them on the floor when I start a new world.

I just want Wes to be more fun, I don't have any lines to laugh.

It is easier for me to see Wes putting his hand on his stomach from being so hungry, than to see him doing some mime.

Of course, nobody wants a parasite at the base, but anyone can be.

Wes seems to be a good person and it is very easy to imagine him giving back everything he received, (Hospitality).

But making Wes hurt himself to save others. It doesn't look like autruism it looks like a toxic relationship, (Now you are the parasites).

I still have no ideas for Wes's rework, but I don't want to open the game one day and see a conventional character.

Wes regains sanity by doing mime.

Maybe Wes can lock himself in an invisible box, so as not to be attacked, the box breaks when sanity reaches 0.

If the monster has an aura of insanity greater than the regeneration of Wes doing mime in an invisible box you are in trouble.

EDIT:
(
The amount of sanity that Wes recovers by making mime is actually much less than a Grass Roll.

[So don't make this kind of comparison, as if you were going to stay inside the invisible box to regain sanity because that wouldn't be possible, and you would waste time until you were hungry again].

[The mime could not be interrupted, by the player to eat, or to take a torch].

It's just a way for Wes to wait for rescue ... Or wait for the right time to escape.
)

Perhaps this will protect new players.

I also like other ideas that you have proposed, like mining a stone without a pick but make each pick consume 25 sanity.

Only for emergencies, as "HELP HAS NO FLINT"!

EDIT:
(
[It would also recover very little sanity when mining with mime].
)

Thank you for your attention. Sorry for the translation.

Now the older main Wes should be like "This is not what we want either"

I will quote one more thing that I thought.

23 hours ago, Wesbie said:

But in my opinion I think it would be difficult to implement any text on the board.

i as a wes main too don't want him to get easier to play as.

@Mike23Ua said that wes is boring to play as, well i disagree. if anything all the op characters like wolfgang, wickerbottom, wx78 are.

that is the reason why i main wes, because i don't enjoy how op certain characters are and thus i put myself at a disadvantage on how powerful i can be by playing as wes.

another thing he mentioned was skin drops and how every character should be accessible to everybody, i disagree here as well.

no matter how many skins i get for winona, willow, wx78, webber or warly i'll not start maining those characters just because i got some skin drop. this is why klei allows us to unravel and weave the stuff we want to have, so we can work towards unlocking skins for our mains by simply investing time playing dst.

this game currently has 16 characters to play as(-2 because those are premium characters to buy or weave) and simply not every single one has to appeal to everybody.

everyone else who claims that wes players are bringing a camp down simply took james bucket's meme video too seriously or haven't played past winter and thus are probably the biggest leechers on bases themself and dread a wes who happens to eat 1 meatballs more than needed, in a game where eating is very trivial to the point that 6 players should sustain any character no matter if it's a 24/7 might wolfgang or a wes.

those people come up with ridiculous calculations like:

"if i need 1 meatballs a day, wes is gonna eat 2, NO FAIR!!!!111!!!!11".

fact of the matter is that i rarely rely on other peoples bases. if anything i maybe use equipment like birdcage and crockpots to create myself the lunch package for the next 3-5 days where i'll be out being productive and doing my thing, using my own food of course.

and as some people have mentioned before: not the character plays this game it's the player that plays this game. that's why you can find the most noobish wigfrids who aren't even able to face tank spiders for their meat or wickerbottoms who can't manage their sanity without using a tent.

so the player makes the difference not the character that got chosen.

On 01/02/2020 at 7:17 PM, Pinkamena11FazP said:

Wes needs to be reworked he deserves it being one of the weakest characters unable to read! At least Wendy can read he can't read nothing. I say he should speak like in subtitle form or holding up a sign like old style Wylie Coyote.  (Picture down below)  Stop the hate for the mime and let him life! Vote for Wes to stop all this hate towards a  poor mime!

WileThatsAllFolks.png

Wes abuse.png

well wes is supossed to be a hard character thougth i guess give him some powers in together would make him a little more interessting and nice i think every character should get a rework independ of what they were created for

36 minutes ago, higor12101 said:

well wes is supossed to be a hard character thougth i guess give him some powers in together would make him a little more interessting and nice i think every character should get a rework independ of what they were created for

This is pretty much the short Gist of everything I’m trying to say, When every other character in the game has new and fun abilities, keeping Wes exactly the way he is now will make him 125% Boring.

I know that.. Klei Knows that... and deep down inside all Wes mains know that as well.

More Mime Stuff, more Interaction with Balloons, being able to pick up and let the You (the player) read signs others have placed.. That’s the direction Wes needs to go in.

When we say we Want a Wes Rework- We do not mean give him higher Health & Sanity.. we mean give him fun cool new stuff to do, Wes’s lower Health & no warning message when Hound waves are coming would still be a large part of Who Wes is as a Character.. 

But when every character in the game is being made more interesting to play as, Wes still being the Hardcore Challenge Mode Character just feels oddly out of place.

I can even argue up and down till my Death that WARLY & WORMWOOD are harder to play as then WES... but at least THEY have interesting fun features that make them unique & engaging to play as.. I rarely ever die playing as Wes, I die all the time as Warly- 

So now the question is What should a Wes Rework be like????

On 2/1/2020 at 7:05 PM, SinancoTheBest said:

Baloonomacy

Well, it's supposed to be his main talent. But all he can fo with his pile of balloons is to make decorative balloons by giving 5 sanity. Works for quick insanity, suicides and AFK assassinations but not much else, certainly not much to support the other survivors. Instead, his balloon talents can be reworked extensively. His pile of balloons should also act as a crafting station like Codex Umbra when placed on the ground for Wes to make various balloons with varying utilities. He'd require varying amounts of sanity, as well as different items around the constant to craft these.

Balloon Saddle - A saddle that can be shaken off only once but allows Wes to rush beefalo domestication.

Balloon Hat - Helmet that can only block one hit but prevents damage, knockback the player and give minimal damage when popped.

Balloon Cake - Tribute item that grants maximum companionship when gifted to befriendable mobs.

Balloon Sword - Weak but cheap weapon that pops and makes the cracking effect that de-aggroes mobs when depleted.

Balloon Armchair - Comfy balloon armchair with multiple uses that like a tent, slowly heals sanity when sat on.

Balloon Pillow - Sleeping item that can be used as an alternative to straw roll. It can be placed on the balloon armchair to upgrade it to heal too. 

Balloon Animal - Cute Balloon decoy animal that draws aggro very successfully, popping and damaging the attacker when hit.

Inflatable Tube - Small donut-shaped lifesaver that can be placed on the sea to be sat on. Could pop after one use but would last long enough to allow passing rivers and lakes.

A plethora of Balloons - The idea Mike suggested, making a holdable chunk of many balloons that acts like a lazy explorer, letting Wes glide across gaps. Could only have the durability of 1-3 uses and require a lot of sanity to build.

Pantomime

Another apparent talent of Wes that he only uses to communicate and examine stuff. Instead, his pantomime talent can be reworked into a substitute for basic tools, which could allow him to Chop, Mine, Shovel and Row without the relevant items. This could use up his sanity or hunger in each use, but would be nice giving him access to the powers of tools when he lacks to tools.

Ventriloquism

Wes can't talk but it doesn't mean he can't train his Ventriloquism skills. It's okay that he's mute when it comes to chatting and vocal warnings but it can get on the way of using basic multiplayer features like reading signs and reciting the weight of fish, making it more of an annoyance than an intended downside. Instead, he can craft a survival item, a puppet to be able to interact with and read signposts, pocket scales, scale-o-matic and various other structures.

Daredevil

His stunt work could also be capitalized on. I envision a unique structure of stunt cannonball that can shoot players across some distance quickly, possibly allowing them passage oversea. It could also be used by Wes only to shoot himself on a selected target enemy to hurt him significantly, as long as he's wearing a helmet, making a hilarious entrance. Just imagine a group of players fighting Deerclops and Wes suddenly shooting himself onto Clops, headbutting him and hitting him with 150 damage and landing in a similar fashion as if thrown from a beefalo.

Acrobat

Unicycle and tight rope come to my mind but I don't know how to conceptualize these in a not too OP and not too coplex manner. Still I'd like a Unicycle that can only be crafted and used by him that'd allow him faster travel for a very brief time.

Juggler

Could be an interesting and unique way of inventory management, giving Wes a Juggling Kit item similar to Gifting Wrap or Bundling Wrap that can take up to 5 items but instead of packing them, Wes'd bundle the inventory items in balls and start juggling them, using up his hand slot and only allowing him to walk and pick up more items. He'd drop all the balls when interrupted by a hit or when stopped willingly, with fallen balls immediately returning back to their original forms upon hitting the ground. This could be used in conjunction with the Unicycle or When riding a Beefalo for delivery purposes

Clown

Various clown tools could be added to his arsenal. One such tool could be something similar to the Year of the Pig King signpost that could flinch or throw enemies. Another could be a fake flower hand item or a whole body slot with a flower that he can squirt water onto enemies with, getting them wet and assisting the team with Electric damage. Finally a fake pie item he can craft to throw into enemies to stun them for a second could be fun.

Calligraphy

Not much going on for this ability but he could have an extra craft near Cartography desk like "Name Plaque" or "Caricature" that he can give to other players who can read them and gain sanity like blueprints. Who knows, maybe he could be a great writer/caricaturist/calligrapher behind his mute façade.

Animal Taming

We don't have any character specialized in animal domestication, taming, herding and ranching and I don't see Wes particularly good at this. I'd like the unimplemented Winnie character or even the Inkeeper to be designed extensively around this trait but I guess Wes could be given some animal friendhip perks too. Immediate access to saddle a balloon saddle is something I really like as mentioned in baloonomacy but he could also be good at luring or herding other mobs like Volt Goats, Koelephants, Grass Geckos, Hounds etc. I don't know how this would be implemented but Animal tamers too are a staple of circuses. 

This should be the Rework because I like all of this. Wes would be good at animal taming.

56 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

So now the question is What should a Wes Rework be like????

And They shouldn't ditch Wes because he is my favorite so they should rework Wes to be not boring.

Archived