Wes needs to win the rework

Wes needs to be reworked he deserves it being one of the weakest characters unable to read! At least Wendy can read he can't read nothing. I say he should speak like in subtitle form or holding up a sign like old style Wylie Coyote.  (Picture down below)  Stop the hate for the mime and let him life! Vote for Wes to stop all this hate towards a  poor mime!

WileThatsAllFolks.png

Wes abuse.png

I want Wes to get a full fledge re-Creation..

Wes as the Hard Mode Character worked in Single Player Don’t Starve.. but in a Multiplayer Game current Wes is Boring.

Now First let me Explain my Reasoning- I feel that a “Way of The Wes” Mode should be add to the Game- And when playing this Mode it gives your character Wes Stats, Health, Damage, Audio Cues etc.. and Removes ALL of their Character Specific Traits (such as no Abigail for Wendy, No Soul Hops or Souls for Wortox, or No Merm Flortifications for Wurt) This allows every character in the Entire game to be the current and Incredibly boring Wes.

And Now lets Dive into What I’d like to see in a Wes Rework, Mime Stuff!

to be more Specific- Klei Recently added the Pig Kings Championship Belt Mini Game where you can trade him a Pig Belt to get Smacked around by a few pigs holding a gigantic wooden sign. This is Hilarious and I instantly wanted it as a Wes Weapon.

Wes pile of Balloons- Currently they’re pretty useless.

But Drawing Inspiration from old Looney Tunes Cartoons Maybe he can craft Rubber Duck Floats, or Tie 12 Balloons together using a rope to fly over a Gap Of Water (Similar to how he is portrayed in his profile image)

He should be able To Mime Rowing Oars, and Invisible Walls.

Also if Wes did get the Champion pigs sign as a weapon I would love it if each time he got hurt by something attacking him he held one of these up like Wyle Coyote exclaiming “Ouch!”

TL:DR Making a Way of The Wes Game Mode allows every character to become Current Wes While also opening Wes himself up to be a brand new fun and Unique character in DST.

Yes! Perfect!

He should also have more mime powers miming axes, pickaxes, etc for some funny reactions watching a Wes take down a tree with nothing! (but it costs sanity and every mime action slowly drains your sanity) And Balloons give off a small aura to make them useful for players!

I agree. Now I get it wes was made by Klei as the "hardmode" character in case you thought the game was easy. It can stay that way in DS. However, in DST he is just bad. Even if you are really good at the game and can handle yourself as wes, you are still just annoying other people by being more demanding. I guess it might be ok if you are playing alone or separated from others. But it does need a rework I think.

3 minutes ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

Yes! Perfect!

He should also have more mime powers miming axes, pickaxes, etc for some funny reactions watching a Wes take down a tree with nothing! (but it costs sanity and every mime action slowly drains your sanity) And Balloons give off a small aura to make them useful for players!

I feel like you think this is a poll to vote on who needs a Rework and the winner gets the Rework, that’s not what’s happening- Klei announced last year that ALL of the games original cast would be reworked.

So don’t Worry a Wes Rework is coming.. along with everyone else, the poll is only for fun.

I personally like his stats but as others point it out, it'd be great if they give him extensive perks in his rework to make him a more fitting character for multiplayer survival. I usually list my set of Baloonomacy, Pantomime and Burden suggestions in these Wes rework threads but I'll try to go to the next level and spitball all sorts of circus centered ideas they can go with for everyone's favorite mime. 

Baloonomacy

Well, it's supposed to be his main talent. But all he can fo with his pile of balloons is to make decorative balloons by giving 5 sanity. Works for quick insanity, suicides and AFK assassinations but not much else, certainly not much to support the other survivors. Instead, his balloon talents can be reworked extensively. His pile of balloons should also act as a crafting station like Codex Umbra when placed on the ground for Wes to make various balloons with varying utilities. He'd require varying amounts of sanity, as well as different items around the constant to craft these.

Balloon Saddle - A saddle that can be shaken off only once but allows Wes to rush beefalo domestication.

Balloon Hat - Helmet that can only block one hit but prevents damage, knockback the player and give minimal damage when popped.

Balloon Cake - Tribute item that grants maximum companionship when gifted to befriendable mobs.

Balloon Sword - Weak but cheap weapon that pops and makes the cracking effect that de-aggroes mobs when depleted.

Balloon Armchair - Comfy balloon armchair with multiple uses that like a tent, slowly heals sanity when sat on.

Balloon Pillow - Sleeping item that can be used as an alternative to straw roll. It can be placed on the balloon armchair to upgrade it to heal too. 

Balloon Animal - Cute Balloon decoy animal that draws aggro very successfully, popping and damaging the attacker when hit.

Inflatable Tube - Small donut-shaped lifesaver that can be placed on the sea to be sat on. Could pop after one use but would last long enough to allow passing rivers and lakes.

A plethora of Balloons - The idea Mike suggested, making a holdable chunk of many balloons that acts like a lazy explorer, letting Wes glide across gaps. Could only have the durability of 1-3 uses and require a lot of sanity to build.

Pantomime

Another apparent talent of Wes that he only uses to communicate and examine stuff. Instead, his pantomime talent can be reworked into a substitute for basic tools, which could allow him to Chop, Mine, Shovel and Row without the relevant items. This could use up his sanity or hunger in each use, but would be nice giving him access to the powers of tools when he lacks to tools.

Ventriloquism

Wes can't talk but it doesn't mean he can't train his Ventriloquism skills. It's okay that he's mute when it comes to chatting and vocal warnings but it can get on the way of using basic multiplayer features like reading signs and reciting the weight of fish, making it more of an annoyance than an intended downside. Instead, he can craft a survival item, a puppet to be able to interact with and read signposts, pocket scales, scale-o-matic and various other structures.

Daredevil

His stunt work could also be capitalized on. I envision a unique structure of stunt cannonball that can shoot players across some distance quickly, possibly allowing them passage oversea. It could also be used by Wes only to shoot himself on a selected target enemy to hurt him significantly, as long as he's wearing a helmet, making a hilarious entrance. Just imagine a group of players fighting Deerclops and Wes suddenly shooting himself onto Clops, headbutting him and hitting him with 150 damage and landing in a similar fashion as if thrown from a beefalo.

Acrobat

Unicycle and tight rope come to my mind but I don't know how to conceptualize these in a not too OP and not too coplex manner. Still I'd like a Unicycle that can only be crafted and used by him that'd allow him faster travel for a very brief time.

Juggler

Could be an interesting and unique way of inventory management, giving Wes a Juggling Kit item similar to Gifting Wrap or Bundling Wrap that can take up to 5 items but instead of packing them, Wes'd bundle the inventory items in balls and start juggling them, using up his hand slot and only allowing him to walk and pick up more items. He'd drop all the balls when interrupted by a hit or when stopped willingly, with fallen balls immediately returning back to their original forms upon hitting the ground. This could be used in conjunction with the Unicycle or When riding a Beefalo for delivery purposes

Clown

Various clown tools could be added to his arsenal. One such tool could be something similar to the Year of the Pig King signpost that could flinch or throw enemies. Another could be a fake flower hand item or a whole body slot with a flower that he can squirt water onto enemies with, getting them wet and assisting the team with Electric damage. Finally a fake pie item he can craft to throw into enemies to stun them for a second could be fun.

Calligraphy

Not much going on for this ability but he could have an extra craft near Cartography desk like "Name Plaque" or "Caricature" that he can give to other players who can read them and gain sanity like blueprints. Who knows, maybe he could be a great writer/caricaturist/calligrapher behind his mute façade.

Animal Taming

We don't have any character specialized in animal domestication, taming, herding and ranching and I don't see Wes particularly good at this. I'd like the unimplemented Winnie character or even the Inkeeper to be designed extensively around this trait but I guess Wes could be given some animal friendhip perks too. Immediate access to saddle a balloon saddle is something I really like as mentioned in baloonomacy but he could also be good at luring or herding other mobs like Volt Goats, Koelephants, Grass Geckos, Hounds etc. I don't know how this would be implemented but Animal tamers too are a staple of circuses. 

Burden to Others

And finally his flimsy survivor trait. The most common image of Wes is that he's weak, flail and overall a burden on the other survivors. Some players even see him as a parasite. Why not embrace this image and flip it on its back by rewarding players for babysitting/serving Wes. A nice minor perk could be that players could gain sanity once a day for feeding Wes something. This amount restored could be proportional to the amount he's fed, such as 5 for small stuff like berries while 10 or even 15 for meatballs, turkey dinners, bacon and eggs etc.

5 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Another apparent talent of Wes that he only uses to communicate and examine stuff. Instead, his pantomime talent can be reworked into a substitute for basic tools, which could allow him to Chop, Mine, Shovel and Row without the relevant items. This could use up his sanity or hunger in each use, but would be nice giving him access to the powers of tools when he lacks to tools.

No CRAFTING Ruins Rush as Wes any% 

Wes main here,

He is not that difficult to play as, he clearly doesnt need a total change of his character. I never ever been a plague to a team by being him and i usually do even more stuff then what other people do in the server.

If people join servers as him, die from starvation, die from nightmare creature because they lost to much sanity because they did heaps of balloon day 1, can't manage to deal with his damage reduction, that just mean he is not the character for you to play as.

He gives a bit more of a Nietzsche gameplay. I would believe that Wes as he is design in DST is fine. Yes he doesn't have the biggest player base. But who does that it really bother ? 

Anyone that has good knowledge about the game would be able to survive perfectly well as Wes. Food is not a problem. Bosses are not a problem. There is always ways to work around things.

And to the people that say Wes is bad and no one should play as him as he is now: i would rather have a competent Wes in my team then bad players that only sit in base or not having anyone one to help me. Help can be given from every character in the game, it only truly comes down to players skills and knowledge.

Things like @SinancoTheBest proposed a few post back are what i would be expecting for a Wes rework. Keeping its rework in the spirit of who Wes is and at the same time benefiting a team while still being a hard character by himself, is the way that Klei should go with his rework. 

finally, a constructive thread about wes. I've waited years for this day, lol

I agree! wes worked fine in ds, but in dst, the problem routes from the fact that he needs some sort of ability that can help aid in a group situation. Something me  and my friends brainstormed was giving him a sort of ability that would largely aid everyone but him. I unfortunately don't know what that ability would be, but it's something to think on.  my friend did suggest giving him bad luck, but  we weren't too sure how that would work as a benefit. I'm genuinely curious to see what klei will do about the current issues with wes, since i'm actually a little stumped on it.   

also, hot take, wes op and wes bad jokes aren't that funny anymore because people don't add actual structure to the jokes. give your memes structure to thrive, lol

17 hours ago, Warlockadamm said:

Wes main here,

He is not that difficult to play as, he clearly doesnt need a total change of his character. I never ever been a plague to a team by being him and i usually do even more stuff then what other people do in the server.

If people join servers as him, die from starvation, die from nightmare creature because they lost to much sanity because they did heaps of balloon day 1, can't manage to deal with his damage reduction, that just mean he is not the character for you to play as.

He gives a bit more of a Nietzsche gameplay. I would believe that Wes as he is design in DST is fine. Yes he doesn't have the biggest player base. But who does that it really bother ? 

Anyone that has good knowledge about the game would be able to survive perfectly well as Wes. Food is not a problem. Bosses are not a problem. There is always ways to work around things.

And to the people that say Wes is bad and no one should play as him as he is now: i would rather have a competent Wes in my team then bad players that only sit in base or not having anyone one to help me. Help can be given from every character in the game, it only truly comes down to players skills and knowledge.

Things like @SinancoTheBest proposed a few post back are what i would be expecting for a Wes rework. Keeping its rework in the spirit of who Wes is and at the same time benefiting a team while still being a hard character by himself, is the way that Klei should go with his rework. 

While I respect you as a Wes Main- I still don’t see this as a good idea, because the problem with Wes is that he Hinders everyone who is playing other than well the person playing as Wes obviously..  

And making things even worse for him would do nothing in the terms of changing that and making him a more approachable character to play as or work with as a Team.

DST has skins, Lots and LOTS of skins, maybe someone owns a cool Skin for Wes... but can’t ever play as him because he’s still considered the “Hard Mode” Character.

Which is why I strongly believe that a Wes Rework should focus on making him fun and unique to play as, While at the same exact time adding a new Option for players who still want the Old Hard Mode Wes style of gameplay.

(They can even add like a small Skull Icon next to the character your playing as to indicate that your using Hard Mode.. instead of their Rework)

Doing this also let’s people like you still enjoy all of the Current Wes Gameplay- But now you’ll be able to play as even Wurt with those same  challenges applied.

TL:DR A Wes Rework shouldn’t focus on making him even more of a team Nuisance, They should Reserve that for its own particular toggle option.

And if a host doesn’t want “Way of The Wes” Players in their session then simply disable that option when choosing to host your server.

36 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Which is why I strongly believe that a Wes Rework should focus on making him fun and unique to play as, While at the same exact time adding a new Option for players who still want the Old Hard Mode Wes style of gameplay.

Doing this also let’s people like you still enjoy all of the Current Wes Gameplay- But now you’ll be able to play as even Wurt with those same  challenges applied.

TL:DR A Wes Rework shouldn’t focus on making him even more of a team Nuisance, They should Reserve that for its own particular toggle option.

So you want other characters to be able to play like Wes? Why not just play as Wes instead?

Also, I’m sorry, but it’s extremely frustrating to see you suggesting things when you play the game with half the settings turned off. Especially suggesting things for a character you’ve never bothered to play as. 

Really hope the Devs stay true to the nature of Wes’ character and don’t completely ruin him by reading half of the suggestions on here.  

7 minutes ago, reichull said:

So you want other characters to be able to play like Wes? Why not just play as Wes instead?

Also, I’m sorry, but it’s extremely frustrating to see you suggesting things when you play the game with half the settings turned off. Especially suggesting things for a character you’ve never bothered to play as. 

Really hope the Devs stay true to the nature of Wes’ character and don’t completely ruin him by reading half of the suggestions on here.  

In short yes- I want EVERY Character to have the option to be completely useless like Current Wes, And when selecting your character your only selecting them based off their Cosmetic Appearance and nothing else.

This also opens Wes up to be more fun and unique to play as while at the same exact time leaving you with an OPTION of keeping him Unchanged.

Wes May have some really cool cosmetic skins but someone might not play as him because he’s the “Hardcore” Character.

Adding a “Useless” Toggle solves both those problems At once.

20 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Ventriloquism

[...] Instead, he can craft a survival item, a puppet to be able to interact with and read signposts, pocket scales, scale-o-matic and various other structures.

Daredevil

His stunt work could also be capitalized on. I envision a unique structure of stunt cannonball that can shoot players across some distance quickly, possibly allowing them passage oversea. [...]

Juggler

[...] using up his hand slot and only allowing him to walk and pick up more items. He'd drop all the balls when interrupted by a hit [...]

AWESOME IDEAS

20 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Baloonomacy

Well, it's supposed to be his main talent. But all he can fo with his pile of balloons is to make decorative balloons by giving 5 sanity. Works for quick insanity, suicides and AFK assassinations but not much else, certainly not much to support the other survivors. Instead, his balloon talents can be reworked extensively. His pile of balloons should also act as a crafting station like Codex Umbra when placed on the ground for Wes to make various balloons with varying utilities. He'd require varying amounts of sanity, as well as different items around the constant to craft these.

Balloon Saddle - A saddle that can be shaken off only once but allows Wes to rush beefalo domestication.

Balloon Hat - Helmet that can only block one hit but prevents damage, knockback the player and give minimal damage when popped.

Balloon Cake - Tribute item that grants maximum companionship when gifted to befriendable mobs.

Balloon Sword - Weak but cheap weapon that pops and makes the cracking effect that de-aggroes mobs when depleted.

Balloon Armchair - Comfy balloon armchair with multiple uses that like a tent, slowly heals sanity when sat on.

Balloon Pillow - Sleeping item that can be used as an alternative to straw roll. It can be placed on the balloon armchair to upgrade it to heal too. 

Balloon Animal - Cute Balloon decoy animal that draws aggro very successfully, popping and damaging the attacker when hit.

Inflatable Tube - Small donut-shaped lifesaver that can be placed on the sea to be sat on. Could pop after one use but would last long enough to allow passing rivers and lakes.

A plethora of Balloons - The idea Mike suggested, making a holdable chunk of many balloons that acts like a lazy explorer, letting Wes glide across gaps. Could only have the durability of 1-3 uses and require a lot of sanity to build.

Pantomime

Ventriloquism

Wes can't talk but it doesn't mean he can't train his Ventriloquism skills. It's okay that he's mute when it comes to chatting and vocal warnings but it can get on the way of using basic multiplayer features like reading signs and reciting the weight of fish, making it more of an annoyance than an intended downside. Instead, he can craft a survival item, a puppet to be able to interact with and read signposts, pocket scales, scale-o-matic and various other structures.

Daredevil

His stunt work could also be capitalized on. I envision a unique structure of stunt cannonball that can shoot players across some distance quickly, possibly allowing them passage oversea. It could also be used by Wes only to shoot himself on a selected target enemy to hurt him significantly, as long as he's wearing a helmet, making a hilarious entrance. Just imagine a group of players fighting Deerclops and Wes suddenly shooting himself onto Clops, headbutting him and hitting him with 150 damage and landing in a similar fashion as if thrown from a beefalo.

Acrobat

Unicycle and tight rope come to my mind but I don't know how to conceptualize these in a not too OP and not too coplex manner. Still I'd like a Unicycle that can only be crafted and used by him that'd allow him faster travel for a very brief time.

Juggler

Could be an interesting and unique way of inventory management, giving Wes a Juggling Kit item similar to Gifting Wrap or Bundling Wrap that can take up to 5 items but instead of packing them, Wes'd bundle the inventory items in balls and start juggling them, using up his hand slot and only allowing him to walk and pick up more items. He'd drop all the balls when interrupted by a hit or when stopped willingly, with fallen balls immediately returning back to their original forms upon hitting the ground. This could be used in conjunction with the Unicycle or When riding a Beefalo for delivery purposes

Clown

Various clown tools could be added to his arsenal. One such tool could be something similar to the Year of the Pig King signpost that could flinch or throw enemies. Another could be a fake flower hand item or a whole body slot with a flower that he can squirt water onto enemies with, getting them wet and assisting the team with Electric damage. Finally a fake pie item he can craft to throw into enemies to stun them for a second could be fun.

Calligraphy

Not much going on for this ability but he could have an extra craft near Cartography desk like "Name Plaque" or "Caricature" that he can give to other players who can read them and gain sanity like blueprints. Who knows, maybe he could be a great writer/caricaturist/calligrapher behind his mute façade.

Animal Taming

We don't have any character specialized in animal domestication, taming, herding and ranching and I don't see Wes particularly good at this. I'd like the unimplemented Winnie character or even the Inkeeper to be designed extensively around this trait but I guess Wes could be given some animal friendhip perks too. Immediate access to saddle a balloon saddle is something I really like as mentioned in baloonomacy but he could also be good at luring or herding other mobs like Volt Goats, Koelephants, Grass Geckos, Hounds etc. I don't know how this would be implemented but Animal tamers too are a staple of circuses. 

Burden to Others

And finally his flimsy survivor trait. The most common image of Wes is that he's weak, flail and overall a burden on the other survivors. Some players even see him as a parasite. Why not embrace this image and flip it on its back by rewarding players for babysitting/serving Wes. A nice minor perk could be that players could gain sanity once a day for feeding Wes something. This amount restored could be proportional to the amount he's fed, such as 5 for small stuff like berries while 10 or even 15 for meatballs, turkey dinners, bacon and eggs etc.

Wow that is some list for Wes' rework. I love it! I sure hope that Klei will respond to it, and bring it to life.

Simplest way to make Wes a teamplayer as many have said before without utterly destroying his core identity would be giving perks that positively affect others, but not himself. A good example that I also think could work really well thematically would be giving Wes a positive sanity aura around him when above half sanity (with rate of the sanity gain being based on his sanity as well), that of course, affects everyone except for himself.

16 hours ago, Portmanteau said:

Simplest way to make Wes a teamplayer as many have said before without utterly destroying his core identity would be giving perks that positively affect others, but not himself. A good example that I also think could work really well thematically would be giving Wes a positive sanity aura around him when above half sanity (with rate of the sanity gain being based on his sanity as well), that of course, affects everyone except for himself.

Or maybe a damage dealing boost to other players when wes is fighting something for a period of time?

Archived