sudoku

It's been almost 4 years since DST released and the game largely plays the same

Recommended Posts

Owlrus98    1,017

DST in its truest sense is a game that is meant to be played on a "learn-and-experience" pathway, where the player struggles through the challenges before them and ultimately learns how to get past them; as you progress in the game, you see new bosses, learn how to use your characters, and enjoy the game's mechanics as you get to see it throughout your time surviving. Many people often look at the wiki, or search up youtubers for strategy and info, which in essence, spoils the secrets the game has to offer earlier than you should be able to discover them. It's a very long game in essence, but people want to know everything at once and they ultimately get bored when they already know what's going to happen.

The roadmap should be coming out soon, and Klei has never failed us before, so I'm sure it will keep players (especially advanced players) engaged much more, and bring on more new players.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    2,977
6 minutes ago, sudoku said:

The problem with optional content is that it largely isnt worth doing or the rewards you get are luxuries. That is what I mean by non meaningful content.  Killing the Deerclops gives you the eyeball which helps you deal with spring. Killing the Toadstool doesnt give you anything to help you deal with an additional threat and largely isn't worth it.

I'm not sure why the DST community prefers this type of content compared to Singleplayer content, where there are actually new challanges and strategies you have to adapt to.   

Because DST for the most part is a Multiplayer game, but for example forcing a Multiplayer ONLY boss threat down upon people who may not exactly have 5 buddies they can get together would only be fun for the people who wanted that.

 

I play State of Decay 2 on NIGHTMARE Difficulty, that is a Self-Imposed death wish on my own Behalf, the Difference.. is that I’m doing that in a Single Player Environment where the choices I make don’t hinder anyone else’s enjoyment of the game.

Don’t get me wrong I would LOVE more Hardcore Content in DST, But asking for it to force itself to COME to the players is the absolute wrong way to go about Doing that..

I gave items that people deem as “Useless” an actual life-saving use, but at the same time I separated this content into its own “Islands” so that WHEN Players choose to they can tackle this content themselves and not just have it pop up to ruin their enjoyment of the current gameplay they’re enjoying.

you can check out the idea i posted about that here: 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sudoku    257
1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Because DST for the most part is a Multiplayer game, but for example forcing a Multiplayer ONLY boss threat down upon people who may not exactly have 5 buddies they can get together would only be fun for the people who wanted that.

 

I play State of Decay 2 on NIGHTMARE Difficulty, that is a Self-Imposed death wish on my own Behalf, the Difference.. is that I’m doing that in a Single Player Environment where the choices I make don’t hinder anyone else’s enjoyment of the game.

Don’t get me wrong I would LOVE more Hardcore Content in DST, But asking for it to force itself to COME to the players is the absolute wrong way to go about Doing that..

I gave items that people deem as “Useless” an actual life-saving use, but at the same time I separated this content into its own “Islands” so that WHEN Players choose to they can tackle this content themselves and not just have it pop up to ruin their enjoyment of the current gameplay they’re enjoying.

you can check out the idea i posted about that here: 

 

I don't look at adding new meaningful game play as forcing me to play it just as i wouldn't consider a new level in a platformer as forcing to me play it. In fact I would welcome that new level so that i didn't have to play the old one over and over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sudoku    257

Idk I dont know why when I suggest new survival gameplay being added people assume I should impose artificial challenges or basebuild when the developers are developing new content for their "survival" game. 

it just seems to me most people who disagree dont want any changes to their social chat sim where they are content to just sit in base and watch carrats perform run and jump animations and scoff at the idea of significant gameplay additions that alter how you survive when surviving is the name of the game. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sudoku    257
9 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

If Klei is potentially worried about making the new player experience harder, they could always just add more challenges to the second, third, however many years survived.

Most players don't even survive past the first year for dozens of hours of play time, so it couldn't hurt.

 

(Uncompromising Mode Mod is still happening and doing this)

That's most likely the reason why we will never officially get this type of content, which is a shame. I imagine 90% of the player base play Autumn sessions and leave halfway through winter or the start of spring, which is why I suspect all of the ROT content so far was developed to be done during that first season.  Before ROT was even a thing they teased new core content with that picture of the ancient gateway in the ruins but why go on with that concept when only 10% of players even venure to the ruins and will never see it. 

Edited by sudoku
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    2,977
4 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Yeah that's the dst's problem at this time of the year. Klei has to jump from Hallowen to Christmas to Chinease New Year. And we end up with 3 months of flashy, pointless, limited (but fun) content. I mean... we could've had another 2-3 characters reworked at this point.

Imo dst needs progression system implemented. Either actions done or years survived but it needs to happen. This is exactly the best way to add more forced content without making early game hard for newcomers.

But why “Force” Anything?

when they started the new ROT Updates they stated we could build boats and venture to new biomes, with new mobs, and new dangers.

that is the heart and core and entire focus of the RoT updates, Please Do note that they said New BIOMES not one Lunar Island you’ll only visit once and then never bother going back to.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sudoku    257
6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Please Do note that they said New BIOMES not one Lunar Island you’ll only visit once and then never bother going back to.

Not to mention they actually counterdeveloped a reason to engage in any of the new sailing gameplay by making Woodie able to eat seeds and monster meat, swim to the lunar biome, dig up all the bushes, and laugh in goose. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    2,977
4 minutes ago, sudoku said:

Not to mention they actually counterdeveloped a reason to engage in any of the new sailing gameplay by making Woodie able to eat seeds and monster meat, swim to the lunar biome, dig up all the bushes, and laugh in goose. 

It wasn’t this way at first- At first goose couldn’t even swim and you dropped your entire Inventory when transforming.

 

I believe that the real reason Woodie can do this now is Player Feedback, and also possibly if Walani was to be added her Surfboards would pretty much allow her to do the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ismael Marin    279

The optional content is barely any rewarding, Klaus? Is optional, don't even bother killing him, he will drop garbage... All optional bosses give things that don't help with your survival and are pretty much useless... I wish DST was more rewarding. 

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now