Deerclops is a she?

2 hours ago, Lammarr said:

Honestly,i made a poor choice of words,it's just implied in his broodling quote that he raised a dragonfly before.

Screenshot_1168.png.fa71d5900c19c12c6f7b68c958379196.png

Which we could interpret as the first and last dragonfly he raised,'cause we never saw him with one as a pet or minion. But sadly we may never know the dragonfly species' true story.

Oh I see. Yeah, that quote is extremely vague; it could be as you said, or it could even be Maxwell having a pet insect at some point in his life let alone a plethora of other cute-insect-related events. I'm a bit doubtful of the likelihood that Maxwell created her though because of how impersonal his comments about the dragonfly and her lavae sound. 

I just wish there were more hints.

image.png.f33e50bda08aad9d390050d13a14ace3.pngimage.png.cdf79272f1a4a9de608ba1834baa01b3.png

2 hours ago, RogueGamer12 said:

I feel bad for the OP who just wants to make a innocent thread.

I won't mind Klei shutting this thread down, it has gone a bit too far.

I honestly thought this conversation was extremely tame with non-destructive disagreements until people started overreacting to said disagreements and memeing the hell out of this topic by making separate threads. 

I personally think it should be left up since it doesn't violate any forum guidelines as far as I can see and was clearly made in good faith. At the end of the day though, it's the forum admins' call. 

39 minutes ago, FakeSmile said:

Kinda makes you wonder the if antlers are fake and who was their original bearer

Female members of some reindeer species do have antlers in real life,though. This is probably the same case with the deerclops species.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:02 PM, Kuba5565 said:

Well i just got glass eyebrella and read this

hhjjg.JPG.d6b078d6e9b858854e70c6b1898f05a5.JPG

I always thought that deerclops was male, so i was living in a lie.

this was actually confirmed when wurt came out, as wurt refers to deerclops as "she" when she's approaching!

Actually, ya know?  It just occurred to me that we may all be asking the wrong question.

"Somewhere in the Constant there's a Deerclops missing her contact lens"?  Dude...Deerclops has been NEARSIGHTED this whole time?

That explains a lot! Imagine how awful it'd be if not only did you have no depth perception, but everything was also blurry!  I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty annoyed too.  Might even do some Godzilla-style building stomping to vent about it.

...Notorious

20 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Actually, ya know?  It just occurred to me that we may all be asking the wrong question.

"Somewhere in the Constant there's a Deerclops missing her contact lens"?  Dude...Deerclops has been NEARSIGHTED this whole time?

That explains a lot! Imagine how awful it'd be if not only did you have no depth perception, but everything was also blurry!  I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty annoyed too.  Might even do some Godzilla-style building stomping to vent about it.

...Notorious

the ones who lost their lens are the feastclops the ones who shoot lasers

the lens stops the lasers like Cyclops from X-men

6 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

the ones who lost their lens are the feastclops the ones who shoot lasers

the lens stops the lasers like Cyclops from X-men

Wait hold on a second. Lenses - specifically convergent lenses - focus light, not block it. I feel like the reverse is actually true where the feastclops is the one deerclops to have the lens equipped while all the other deerclops are missing theirs. 

I know they're somewhat popular but lore discussions (outside of main story beats) always seem silly to me with people arguing over their interpretation. The fact of the matter is Klei is making a sandbox game with a very loose narrative. I don't think there's some huge grand outline or encyclopedia of everyone and everything in the Don't Starve world and every new piece of information adheres to that guideline. Rather, I think they want to keep mystery and intrigue at the center which allows them to give you a small blurb about a person or creature and let your mind do the rest to create the "lore".  The fact that Deerclops has been referred to as male and now female illustrates that fact more to me than them having developed some deep backstory or gender identity to what is simply a boss that you fight in winter. They'e simply had different writers working on the team at different points.    

22 hours ago, sudoku said:

I know they're somewhat popular but lore discussions (outside of main story beats) always seem silly to me with people arguing over their interpretation. The fact of the matter is Klei is making a sandbox game with a very loose narrative. I don't think there's some huge grand outline or encyclopedia of everyone and everything in the Don't Starve world and every new piece of information adheres to that guideline. Rather, I think they want to keep mystery and intrigue at the center which allows them to give you a small blurb about a person or creature and let your mind do the rest to create the "lore".  The fact that Deerclops has been referred to as male and now female illustrates that fact more to me than them having developed some deep backstory or gender identity to what is simply a boss that you fight in winter. They'e simply had different writers working on the team at different points.    

You know, we live in the world there stories and lore are edited in favour of sjw. Not to make story better but to please some "minority" group. 

Ofc all of that doesnt matter until it turns out that character you liked is culturally problematic and gets removed from the game (Warbucks). 

At this point even an obvious mistake in discription of cosmetic item can drive people insane. Because today it's a mistake in discription, tomorrow Wilson is culturally problematic. 

3 hours ago, Desblat said:

You know, we live in the world there stories and lore are edited in favour of sjw. Not to make story better but to please some "minority" group. 

Why is minority in quotation marks, please explain

Ofc all of that doesnt matter until it turns out that character you liked is culturally problematic and gets removed from the game (Warbucks). 

It's both impressive and embarrassing how people on these forums manage to bring up Warbucks in every discussion.

Because today it's a mistake in discription, tomorrow Wilson is culturally problematic. 

Cool slippery slope, but no. The devs deciding to use female pronouns for a boss is not, in fact, a sign that Wilson is going to be removed. 

If Deerclops was indeed previously refered to as a king and asummed male by most of the community then it seems silly to change that right now.

Imo it was cool how we had 4 seasonal bosses which consisted of 2 males and 2 females. Now male bosses are a minority. Sure it doesn't change the gameplay but you can't go from one extreme to another. Especialy given that unlike Moose/Goose and D-tly we don't see Deerclops or Bearger have any offspring which is the easiest way to say 'This creature is female'

39 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

If Deerclops was indeed previously refered to as a king and asummed male by most of the community then it seems silly to change that right now.

Imo it was cool how we had 4 seasonal bosses which consisted of 2 males and 2 females. Now male bosses are a minority. Sure it doesn't change the gameplay but you can't go from one extreme to another. Especialy given that unlike Moose/Goose and D-tly we don't see Deerclops or Bearger have any offspring which is the easiest way to say 'This creature is female'

Evidence was brought up earlier in this thread indicating that the deerclops are an entire species (i.e. there are both male and female deerclops). 

9 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Why is minority in quotation marks, please explain

It's both impressive and embarrassing how people on these forums manage to bring up Warbucks in every discussion.

As if that denied the fact of removal. 

It's both impressive and embarrassing how people don't see usage of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_function

14 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

it is called a comparison everyone is over Warbucks because do you see anyone talking about his re-adding in a serious tone anymore?

Nope.

we moved on we all have, except you apparently because you keep digging them into relevancy then complaining about it

if you really wanted people to shut up about Warbucks you should also do that

Spoiler

5e343bcea6fd3_Warbuckssayshowitis.thumb.png.757d251728465d6f3dd7b78b2cbe7401.png

3 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

it is called a comparison everyone is over Warbucks because do you see anyone talking about his re-adding in a serious tone anymore?

Nope.

we moved on we all have, except you apparently because you keep digging them into relevancy then complaining about it

if you really wanted people to shut up about Warbucks you should also do that

...What is that logic? Other people were talking about Warbucks, which means they're over Warbucks? So to get those people to stop talking about Warbucks, I'm the one who needs to stop talking about Warbucks, while other people continue to? Do I just... sit idly while other people show how much they're over Warbucks by still complaining about his removal, because if I tell them they're being dumb then I'm the one who hasn't moved on?

Since people insist on talking about Warbucks in a thread that has nothing to do with him, I'm going to point out that with one simple console command -- enter RETIRED_CHARACTERLIST = {} at the main menu -- you can still play as him in singleplayer as long as you have Hamlet. He's got dialogue for Hamlet features that were added after he was patched out and everything. You don't even need mods, although there are mods for that too. He's no longer canon, but if you like him you can play him as much as you want. It's also factually wrong to say that nobody talks seriously about re-adding him anymore, because I see that suggestion regularly, in earnest and sometimes specifically clarified that it's not a joke, whenever the topic of adding new characters or singleplayer-only characters to DST comes up. (Personally I think having a hidden character is more mechanically interesting than his game mechanics ever were when he was in live development.)

Going back to the actual topic of this thread: If you ask me, all the Reign of Giants giants plus the Bee Queen, Antlion, Toadstool, and Malbatross make a lot more sense as a species than a single creature dying and getting resurrected repeatedly. The Fuelweaver and Ancient Guardian are specific beings, and I kind of hope Klaus is one of a kind as well because he looks like the result of a series of cruel experiments, but the rest of the giants are just big, weird, dangerous animals. That applies no matter what their gender balance is, but it's compatible with either having both males and females, having an all-female species that reproduces asexually, or even being capable of both forms of reproduction like some reptiles, birds, and sharks are in our world.

Actually that last bit would handily explain the existence of both male Deerclopses and a predominantly female Deerclops population, because a breeding pair would mix the genes of both parents and therefore have an equal chance of the offspring being either sex but asexual reproduction would always produce clones of the mother. And if Maxwell realised he could do that while designing the species he'd probably be in favour of it because if Deerclopses don't need a mate to breed then a single isolated Deerclops need not be the last of its kind but having the option of sexual reproduction improves their genetic diversity.

Archived