Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Mooagain

Most useless items

Electroely    3689

The breezy vest makes you sacrifice the 8 slots of inventory a backpack offers for rabbit earmuff tier insulation. I don't see any scenario where making one is worth the trouble whatsoever, especially considering it costs 8 silk.

The thermal measurer, though not an item, is still something I consider pretty useless. With season lengths and temperature patterns being consistent across all worlds, the thermal measurer serves no purpose other than to give the player a vague idea of how far into a season they are. Its display doesn't go below freezing or above overheating, so it's only really functional on autumn and spring. It may be helpful to a newer player, but I think the majority of players would memorize season lengths well enough to skip the material cost of a thermal measurer.

There's also the straw roll, which I think is a pretty bad resource and time investment. It takes hunger and time to restore only a small amount of sanity. You're much better off spending your time looking for better, consistent sources of sanity like cactus flesh. At least the straw roll can be upgraded to a fur roll, which has its uses.

4 minutes ago, SpookyXy said:

Whirly fan.

The whirly fan isn't useless at all. It's meant to help players with summer if they're recently joined and are unprepared for it, and it does just that. I've often joined some friends on their worlds during summer and made it to their base or a cave just fine thanks to the extra cooling the fan provides. I think for an item to be useless, it has to have no good use whatsoever, whether it is due to being outclassed by another item or just not worth the costs it has.

ArubaroBeefalo    4375
27 minutes ago, Electroely said:

The thermal measurer, though not an item, is still something I consider pretty useless. With season lengths and temperature patterns being consistent across all worlds, the thermal measurer serves no purpose other than to give the player a vague idea of how far into a season they are. Its display doesn't go below freezing or above overheating, so it's only really functional on autumn and spring. It may be helpful to a newer player, but I think the majority of players would memorize season lengths well enough to skip the material cost of a thermal measurer.

its cheap and fancy, i like it. **** maths

Bird Up    1918

the straw roll is at least better fuel than its combined components.

phlegm is pretty useless besides pig bait, but you can use a lot of things as pig bait.

wet goop is pretty useless though it turns into rot in 6 days.

Iridescent gem I think is only to feed rock lobster. Idk if that adds to the friend timer. Idk if moles go for it either. This is probably the most useless item. Just a nice novelty to have it. I hope it has a use some day.

CameoAppearance    2494

Rabbit earmuffs, phlegm, and hay walls. Grass suits come close but they don't have to be prototyped so they can be marginally useful if you're wandering around in the savannah or desert prior to starting a base; rabbit earmuffs require a science machine, provide minimal warmth, and get used up really fast. I've used them, like, once in the five years I've played DST.

Canis    13036

To preface this, I'm not counting items for vanity and cosmetics (ie iridescent gem) because they're pretty much designed to be useless save for making things look nice with is arguably a use in of itself.

I want to talk about the Night Light. It's just a firepit that takes nightmare fuel as a fuel source, with 1 nightmare fuel is equal to about 3 minutes of light (if the wiki is to be trusted). This doesn't sound that bad on paper, but this item becomes bottom of the barrel when you take into consideration the many more valuable uses nightmare fuel has, and how easy it is to have fuel for a firepit.

An idea I've held on to for a while is that when a Night Light is fueled, all other night lights in like a 2 screen-wide radius are also fueled to the exact amount. Those night lights will also emit a radius and cause a domino effect of lights. This would favor megabases and such. 

Another idea I came up with on @Axelocke's thread haphazardly (that Axe really loved) is that Night Lights would automatically light up when a Maxwell is near it, mimicking Maxwell's lights in Adventure Mode's Epilogue.

1bubbainpa    2858
29 minutes ago, Canis said:

To preface this, I'm not counting items for vanity and cosmetics (ie iridescent gem) because they're pretty much designed to be useless save for making things look nice with is arguably a use in of itself.

I want to talk about the Night Light. It's just a firepit that takes nightmare fuel as a fuel source, with 1 nightmare fuel is equal to about 3 minutes of light (if the wiki is to be trusted). This doesn't sound that bad on paper, but this item becomes bottom of the barrel when you take into consideration the many more valuable uses nightmare fuel has, and how easy it is to have fuel for a firepit.

An idea I've held on to for a while is that when a Night Light is fueled, all other night lights in like a 2 screen-wide radius are also fueled to the exact amount. Those night lights will also emit a radius and cause a domino effect of lights. This would favor megabases and such. 

Another idea I came up with on @Axelocke's thread haphazardly (that Axe really loved) is that Night Lights would automatically light up when a Maxwell is near it, mimicking Maxwell's lights in Adventure Mode's Epilogue.

Something I’ve never tried before, but how useful would night lights be on the lunar island? It reduces lunacy, which, unlike insanity, has no perks of being high on and only causes harassment from gestalts.

Canis    13036
2 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Something I’ve never tried before, but how useful would night lights be on the lunar island? It reduces lunacy, which, unlike insanity, has no perks of being high on and only causes harassment from gestalts.

image.png.0539d7ef9beac85fd84d48d256750281.png

Again, if the wiki is to be trusted, then the Night Light only drains 3 sanity per minute, which is very very small and will most likely get overtaken by the island's natural "lunacy" aura anyway.

I put emphasis on the wiki as it has a tendency and history of being wrong.

Desblat    640
1 hour ago, Canis said:

I almost forgot it even exists, I never seen anyone build it. Campfire can also be used to cook food and warm yourself up, nightlight provides only light.

51 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Get nightarmor/nightsword. Equip them. Lowers lunacy. Mobile, have other uses, doesn't drain nightmare fuel to function. I can't think of anything that will outclass those simple items in terms of lowering lunacy.

Slagger    994

All winter clothes. A torch and two thermal stone (for leaving one of them at home to having warm one everytime) always better.

__IvoCZE__    8090
8 hours ago, Electroely said:

The straw roll, which I think is a pretty bad resource and time investment. It takes hunger and time to restore only a small amount of sanity. You're much better off spending your time looking for better, consistent sources of sanity like cactus flesh. At least the straw roll can be upgraded to a fur roll, which has its uses.

The Straw roll can be actually used during winter's feast on starter-player worlds to get a gift from the winter tree *but* it really isn't so hard to get some bunny puffs.

SinancoTheBest    2301
2 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

Rabbit earmuffs, phlegm, and hay walls. Grass suits come close but they don't have to be prototyped so they can be marginally useful if you're wandering around in the savannah or desert prior to starting a base; rabbit earmuffs require a science machine, provide minimal warmth, and get used up really fast. I've used them, like, once in the five years I've played DST.

Hmm, I don't particularly agree with the earmuffs and hay walls. Earmuffs are very cheap, especially if you're based near savannah: you'll most likely get more than enough rabbits in the process of setting traps for Prehatistator so you can easily make them. Thermal stones are already enough for winter, prolonging your freezing a little bit more for a cute, cheap hat that doesn't block the hair of your character is nice imo. The real useless winter items I'd say are Cat Cap and Breezy Vest - The cap requires much more effort than almost any winter gear yet it provides the same isolation as earmuffs. And the breezy vest is pathetic; it'd have been kinda relevant to me if it added up to 100% water resistance with the rain hat but it fails even in that regard.

Hay Walls can do pretty much wooden walls can so I can't really hate on them for how cheap they are; they may be weaker but inflammable walls are mostly used for the corners of fences by me anyway.

As for Phlegm, I wouldn't even consider it an item, it's as useless as Glommer's Wings.

Mike23Ua    7303

Most useless item currently? The 2019 Don’t Starve Together Roadmap.

Were supposed to be getting one for 2020 soon.. but the wait is too intense!

Booklover    402
5 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

hay walls

Nuh uh. Hay walls are actually incredibly useful. Just look at Wickerbottom's Tentacle Fields. Look at fire farms. Look at beefalo pens.

Hay walls aren't amazing but they are definitely cheaper than wood wall which uses up logs for a megabase's chests, cobbleroads, turfs, etc.

Other than that, Breezy Vests, Cat Caps and Dapper Vests are pretty useless. I recommend for everyone I meet to just cook and eat the Koalephant Trunk. 75 Hunger and 40 HP is basically a free dragonpie for Wigfrids. Cat Caps are cute but useless. Dapper Vests could be considered useful but Tam O' Shanters exist. One could argue that you can wear this alongside Eyebrella but I'd rather save the hound's teeth.

__IvoCZE__    8090
Just now, Easonade said:

Basic farm. It's basically a joke. (Pun intended)

I use it for mass-farming plants as wickerbottom when Wormwood isn't around.

CameoAppearance    2494

I change my vote to wood walls, then, since hay walls are apparently valuable to more people than I thought (albeit mostly because of unintended mechanics interactions rather than their intended use, from what I can tell). The only time I see anyone use them is as decorative corners for walls made of something else. They're as flammable as hay walls, but more expensive.

fimmatek    4192
6 hours ago, Desblat said:

Get nightarmor/nightsword. Equip them. Lowers lunacy. Mobile, have other uses, doesn't drain nightmare fuel to function. I can't think of anything that will outclass those simple items in terms of lowering lunacy.

I think the lazy deserter is even better for that purpose: you can go insane in seconds and you can't accidentally break it while using. And you can even use it for teleportation. Its only drawback compared to the sword/armor is that it's not portable.

11 hours ago, Bird Up said:

wet goop is pretty useless though it turns into rot in 6 days.

Wet goop is supposed to be the "punishment" for messing up something in the crock pot, it shouldn't be useful.

CaptainChaotica    5528

Breezy, dapper...any vests really:  I don't like giving up my backpack for an entire season.  Temporarily ditching it to shuck on some armour for a fight, yes, but walk around without it?  Nuh-UH.  Give me a thermal stone, some kinda hat/an umbrella, and materials for the seasonally appropriate type of (small) fire to take with me, and I'm good.

Thermal measurer--CAN be useful if the seasons _aren't_ predictable, which is precisely why I randomise my seasons (and use a mod to make them randomise again every year, made by Electroely, as it happens!)  But, I've got a much cheaper and more basic way to tell when the seasons are about to change: Birch trees.  Just plant some o' those babies near your camp and watch for when they change colour, drop their leaves, or grow them back.  The only thing they CAN'T tell you, with randomised seasons, is whether the next one up after winter is gonna be spring or summer, 'cos _technically_ the leaves are plain green during both.  So on my servers, I tend to prototype a small endo fire as soon as I see the leaves coming back, JUST in case.

(The thermal measurer _is_ good for one thing, however:  Making a god-damned EPIC running gag about Ash's vengeful space-dog Kerfluffle (which is an awesome dog name to begin with) repeatedly bombing the base with meteors, in Stumpt's Season 3 playthrough.  Seriously, they based in meteorland by accident in general, but those things kept PRECISION striking the thermometer.  It was _hilarious_.  XD)

Whirly fan I have indeed seen somebody use when they joined in summer to try and not insta-die.  I made them a straw hat and told them where the nearest tree was to stand under but on short notice that's all I could do. We were living in the caves during the summer, but running out of food so I launched an expedition to the surface where a whole BUNCH of berry bushes had been planted by a player who'd quit and not come back earlier, in hopes they wouldn't all be withered.  Operation:  Emergency Food Gather!  GO!  And THAT'S when the new player showed up--and offered to help us out.  Baaaad timing.

Cat cap?  I know it's stupid, but I am NOT killing kitties.  Not even pixel ones.  When it's my own server I use a command to spawn in a cat tail for my kittykit-making needs.  Occasionally I'll find one lying on the forest floor from where one tangled with a frog and lost, but it's rare to find _four_ of them fast enough before winter.  And again, earmuffs are cheaper.  (Webber?  Don't play as him often.  I also don't even have Wortox, yet.)

The straw roll I tend to in fact use occasionally when I don't have the materials for a tent yet, but mainly these days it's for (a) getting a present, (b) making an adorable screenshot, or (c) because I'm doing a deliberate challenge and am not "allowed" to use more advanced ways of sleep yet.  Also sometimes I legit need sanity and I have FILLING food available, but not _sanity_ food, at that exact moment.  And I don't do the caves very well.  So, I have been known to straight-up use the straw roll unironically.  Not that often, but it has happened.  

...and that brings me to my next category:  Stuiff That's More Primitive And Eclipsed By Its Upgrades But I Use It Anyway For a Theme or Challenge.  I made up the "March of Civilization" challenge, after all, and sometimes having a lesser form of farming _that's still farming_ is GREAT for when you want to have "just barely invented agriculture".  Earmuffs look more like natural stuff than a knitted, made cap with coloured yarn and I tend to base in/near savannahs anyway.  Sure, beefalo hat also looks natural, but what if you haven't _found_ the beefs by the time winter hits?  (Remember:  I use randomised season lengths.  Also huge worlds, pretty often.)  Grass suit?  Great for when you need SOME protection but haven't found any gosh darn gold for a science machine yet.  (That one time I was playing with my brother and it turned out allll the gold on the map was _beyond_ a field of killer bees comes to mind...)

Now, the Night Light: That is TRULY useless.  It's like a freaking _troll_ item!  They give it this mysteeeerious soundnig description about "lighting the night with your dreams" and then it turns out to use expensive fuel for a short amount of lighting-time.  I wonder if it was in fact actually put in the game as a sucker item, a joke, or if it was originally meant to be more useful but got nerfed beforehand?  'Cos that is a flat-out TRICK to noobs.  Watch Sips' old playthrough, for example.  He is so excited to make it! and then so disappointed...

...Notorious