Behold. A wormwood main.

The difference between skilled player who knows how to do every-little-thing and casual player who is still learning is a massive freaking difference okay? 

That is something NONE of you seem to be Understanding, And can’t ever understand because you’ll only see things from the “Skilled” Player’s Perspective.

But for a second- Stand around do nothing watching much less skilled players than yourself playing this game... WATCH THEM Panic when a Tier 2 Spiders Nest Grows into a Tier 3, Watch as they see Characters like Wormwood and his Veggie Garden Anywhere and Wortox with his Soul Hop and group healing as Overpowered GODS.

I try to explain why someone Might see a certain character as OP... but your only going to argue up and down that “So and So expert Method is Better..”

THATS The Difference- These items are part of these characters Default abilities, you don’t have to learn for example how to actively Aggro the Bearger around the map for Living Logs when you can just chop them off your dang self out of your own body for a little HP Lost that can easily be revived with healing salve or by sleeping inside in a Tent.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

The difference between skilled player who knows how to do every-little-thing and casual player who is still learning is a massive freaking difference okay? 

That is something NONE of you seem to be Understanding, And can’t ever understand because you’ll only see things from the “Skilled” Player’s Perspective.

But for a second- Stand around do nothing watching much less skilled players than yourself playing this game... WATCH THEM Panic when a Tier 2 Spiders Nest Grows into a Tier 3, Watch as they see Characters like Wormwood and his Veggie Garden Anywhere and Wortox with his Soul Hop and group healing as Overpowered GODS.

I try to explain why someone Might see a certain character as OP... but your only going to argue up and down that “So and So expert Method is Better..”

THATS The Difference- These items are part of these characters Default abilities, you don’t have to learn for example how to actively Aggro the Bearger around the map for Living Logs when you can just chop them off your dang self out of your own body for a little HP Lost that can easily be revived with healing salve or by sleeping inside in a Tent.

If there are things that straight up outclass certain character then that character can't be that overpowered in the first place. If your argument is that a casual player won't have the knowledge about those things that are outclassed already then that's the player's fault, not the game's fault.

One dumbed down argument: Weapon X does 10 damage and costs 3g to buy and sells in every shop.

Another weapon, Y, does 80 damage but costs 10g and can only be bought in a hard to find shop.

Just because people might not know about weapon Y doesn't mean it's not better than X.

Lack of knowledge from the players part shouldn't be taken into account when considering which method of doing things is better overall. Otherwise we would be arguing about rabbit vs frogs trapping and never progress from there.

23 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yes, one is well versed in the mechanics and knows the value of things like farms and companions, while the other doesn't. The reason why qe argue about ypu being wrong about the power balencing is necause veteran players knows how far and usefil certin perks are. I don't play much of Wurt but I can I can judge her strengths and weaknesses by playing her a little bit. I can judge the strength and weaknesses of her by comparing to the strengthes and weaknesses of all other compaions. Yes, we do have different mindsets but being ignorent to better stratgeies isn't a defence for you saying a character is way too powerful when any real analysis can aay otherwise.

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I can see through a beginner's perspective, but when debating the true potential of characters, it takes all knowlage into account and not just something from a beginners perspective. There is also the point that from a beginners perspective, characters like Wendy and Webber can seem overpowered when they are in the grand scheme just above average. Certin perks from a beginners can be exagerated to be more powerful then they can be and thus will create a false pretense of what can be considered op and not op. The reason why we talk in this manner is because we know what works and what doesn't.

42 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

WATCH THEM Panic when a Tier 2 Spiders Nest Grows into a Tier 3, Watch as they see Characters like Wormwood and his Veggie Garden Anywhere and Wortox with his Soul Hop and group healing as Overpowered GODS.

Yes, and watch as they slowly gain more knowlagable and learn that these things aren't true. Its all based in experience, and by telling them they are wrong and what is better would just make that process faster. Helping them learn and dispelling preconceived notions and pkwer helps them in the long run instead of them just observing them spouting the wrong things to other people. We aren't teying to be douches whem saying your wrong, qe are trying to help see why you're wrong and reconsider your opinion.

49 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

try to explain why someone Might see a certain character as OP... but your only going to argue up and down that “So and So expert Method is Better

You know the reasons I brought those methods are to show that any character can do that with better results then using the methods you think are too powerful, thus dispeling the notion of its power by showing a better, and more efficent method that isn't character specific. The veru fact that a different general any character method can easily trump others that are character specific shows how they aren't op at all. Also being op based on personal preference isn't really a idea taken into consideration with these types of debates, I could argue all I want about the power of Maxwell, but that still won't change the fact that he above average most of the time. Personal preference doesn't trump facts.

Well then in that case no one should have the right to say what character is or isn’t OP because it’s based entirely off personal perspective Alone.

However I can freely speak about my own survivability as those characters- & I Seem to stay alive as good with Wurt just as I can Wendy or Wigfrid.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well then in that case no one should have the right to say what character is or isn’t OP because it’s based entirely off personal perspective Alone.

However I can freely speak about my own survivability as those characters- & I Seem to stay alive as good with Wurt just as I can Wendy or Wigfrid.

Staying alive =/= Efficiency

To build on the above.

Yes, you can freely speak about your own survival experience as any character. But saying one is OP because they can do x, y and z while every other character can do the same x,y and z using a slightly different crafting recipes with less downsides to their gameplay is just bonkers to me.

Why people think Wickerbottom is OP? Because with her tentacles she can kill BeeQueen in around 20 days of preparation, while it would take every other character at least 50% more time with bunnies or merms (and an ice flingomatic if you're paranoid about your hard work vanishing in flames).

You can have a daily auto farm of bunnies without losing their meat (free pierogis), splumonkey farm and others mobs but those other mobs can be accomplished with other characters in some other way.

She can make WX go from good to OP.

She can keep a server full of Wolfgang at max hunger alive as long as they make their increased stats useful in some way.

She can farm Krampus faster and easier than anyone else.

In public, having the advantage of crafting a thermal stone or any other gear with just one gold is pretty good when you join in any season other than Autumn.

Can others do what she can as efficient as her? Well, uh... I don't know, maybe you should test yourself and see it with your own eyes.

Now let's take Wurt. She can build a merm city. Others can build a pig/bunny/spider city. You can use the merms to kill Bee Queen, others can use bunnies to do it too. Merms will aggro anything that goes near their house if they don't have a King, Pigs will aggro any mob considered a monster which is what a casual player should be worried about.

She can walk faster on swamp turfs, others can craft cobblestones but takes time however it applies to every character unlike swamp turf.

She has a firm grip but then you need to have a thermal stone/winter gear if you plan to use that perk, others can avoid getting wet, truly a hard thing to do.

Now Wormwood, he is good (as in above Wilson).

He can carry a server by doing almost nothing.

He can easily get living logs before year 1 ends if you have a Wortox otherwise you'll need to get your hands in some healing resources, after that it just becomes a portable slot free crafting requirement for dark sword.

And his armor is nice for cactus and if you're into spiky bushes or wasting its durability on spiders or bees than I guess it's good for those too.

All of them have some disadvantages that can hinder their gameplay, but from these three the smallest disadvantage goes to Wickerbottom, the one that can do a lot more than the other two combined (feeding and city building).

From these 3, Wurt is the only one whose most perks can be achieved by most other characters.

If Wurt is OP but most other characters can do the same thing as her with less downsides or more upsides then that makes most other characters OP too. And if everyone is OP, no one is. That's why we compare a character to another to see if they are around the same level and when we see someone that is clearly on its on league we call it overpowered.

But at the end of the day everything these characters do are optional and you could just keep trapping rabbits and eating berries all day long and that's all you gotta do to survive with any character (although casuals with Warly could time it wrong and snowball to their death). And if that's all you worry about in DST then something OP won't affect you since you won't use their perks either way. However, just because it doesn't affect your gameplay doesn't mean it stops being OP, it's just you either not knowing, turning a blind eye on the rest of the game or being too afraid to die trying something new.

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If it's okay for you to explain why certain people would think Wurt is OP, why is it not okay for someone else to explain why certain people would think Wurt is not OP?

Oh god please. I have wormwood and wortox both but I cant play with anyone of them because of they dont work at offline. Klei please dont forget us :'(
 And the saddest thing is I will not able to play with new character too...

29 minutes ago, Slagger said:

Oh god please. I have wormwood and wortox both but I cant play with anyone of them because of they dont work at offline. Klei please dont forget us :'(
 And the saddest thing is I will not able to play with new character too...

I think they should not only give us the option to play DLC Characters Offline, but to also allow us to use all our unlocked skins (we can save up to 10 Pre-Sets of Outfits..) But when there’s no Internet you can only use the default characters & no skin items. :( 

Archived