Behold. A wormwood main.

This week a wormwood main was born. Why? I have no idea. Wormwood honestly doesn’t seem all that good aside from being able to chop his/her arm off like spongebob.

but I shall main them none the less because they are the only un-modded character that I have actually managed to survive a long time with.

wormwood is also the only character that I have actually done a solo ruins run with and survived. Which is odd since wormwood doesn’t seem like the best character to be fighting with.

going to kill the bee queen for the first time too. Wormwood is clearly busted op plz nerf.

Can’t tell if this is a joke or something else.. lol, Wormwood is fun though.

And placing multiple Bramble Traps around can give him an advantage off a few extra seconds of breathing room between him and Hounds.

Wormwood players need to build Tents... and keep those on hand to quickly and easily restore Health and Sanity levels. the Healing Salves also help to heal his Health up quite a good bit.

1 minute ago, Mr. Despair said:

Maybe because he has downsides that change your playstyle.

To be honest, The new characters are better than the reworks that we got.

I think that is kinda the purpose of them being DLC... I can’t think of any game I have ever played where the Paid DLC characters were Worse than the ones that came with the game free.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think that is kinda the purpose of them being DLC... I can’t think of any game I have ever played where the Paid DLC characters were Worse than the ones that came with the game free.

I get that...but other than Wortox they aren't "OP", I just find them to be more interesting to play.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Despair said:

I get that...but other than Wortox they aren't "OP", I just find them to be more interesting to play.

I actually disagree with you on this- Wormwood can craft his own Traps, his own armor, and build a massive garden of veggies pretty much anywhere he wants. He has an Infinite Supply Of Living Logs too Which is something other players are only going to get if they intentionally Spawn and Kill Tree Guards. 

and don’t even get me started on Wurt- LOL..

TL:DR She has so many GOOD Perks, and her only Downside is that she’s a Vegetarian..? Seriously.

I guess other than being like Webber and Wortox where Pigs Naturally just want to punch her in her face.. she has no real serious Downsides.

Unlike say uhh I guess Woodie who suffers a random transformation that turns him into a Were-Form during full moons & then he goes into full on Starvation status as soon as he reverts back to Human.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I actually disagree with you on this- Wormwood can craft his own Traps, his own armor, and build a massive garden of veggies pretty much anywhere he wants. He has an Infinite Supply Of Living Logs too Which is something other players are only going to get if they intentionally Spawn and Kill Tree Guards. 

and don’t even get me started on Wurt- LOL..

TL:DR She has so many GOOD Perks, and her only Downside is that she’s a Vegetarian..? Seriously.

I guess other than being like Webber and Wortox where Pigs Naturally just want to punch her in her face.. she has no real serious Downsides.

Unlike say uhh I guess Woodie who suffers a random transformation that turns him into a Were-Form during full moons & then he goes into full on Starvation status as soon as he reverts back to Human.

His armor is only really good to get cactus. You can get enough supply of living logs yearly with Bearger.

What Wurt does, others can do too with less to no downsides. You say she has no real serious downsides yet you said in another post that joining in winter is a death sentence to her.

Woodie can carry food on his inventory at all times and if you're not carrying at least one food then that's your own fault for starving.

7 hours ago, Sweaper said:

His armor is only really good to get cactus. You can get enough supply of living logs yearly with Bearger.

And Spikey Brambles for twigs. They are technically better then normal because the normal saplings can get diseased and don't grow during the winter, where as the Brambles don't get diseased and groq during winter. They are also greater in some aspects compared to twiggy trees as they are not a lag hazard and less of a wildfire hazard (its gets slow around like 400 twings maybe, all which are individually placed, and wildfires all have a chance to be lit on each twig. While fire can be countered with precautionary measures, lag Will need constant monitering). The only downside with the Brambles is that they hurt you whem picked, by the armor negates that, and so it becomes a viable option for twig farming.

While you can get living logs faster, Wormwood can easily summon one on command which allows for better instant gains then overall gains. In a better perspective, I don't want to go all the way back to base to grab living logs for a dark sword when I can just instead sacerfice the 20 hp for one. Its more for convience then actual form of getting mass living logs.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

She has so many GOOD Perks, and her only Downside is that she’s a Vegetarian..? Seriously.

1) Wurt requires constant set up and managment to be actually good. Unlike Webber or Maxwell, Wurt needs to get more buildings in order to get to her full potential (Yes I aknowlage the swamp spawns with merm houses but basing I'm the swamp can horribley restrictive based on where it spawns [It's usually farther away from more points of interest] and thus can actively hinder you from succeding if ypu base there rather them just digging up the turf and making her kingdom somewhere more advantageous). This means you will have to build up her community a lot to meet the same stats as ones that came from natrually spawned in pigs. Even beyond that, the constant need to either replace or feed the king for stat boosts for your brothers, sisters, and you is also annpying and takes alot of material and micro managing. 

2) Her merm compaions are very good compaions, but they are at the end of the day just better pigs. Any thing a pig can do, they can do little more but anything that destroys a pig will also destroy a merm. Bosses with aoe? Destroyed. Packs much larger then you have? Survivable but bearly with casualties. Timers running out? Disappointing. They are better companions but they are still limited to what compaions can do.

3) Without her compaions, she is very adverage. She does have a few perks like running on swamp turf with extra speed and holding onto stuff super tightly, but they don't make enough of a difference to make her survivabilty any better then the Wilson next to her. Maxwell and Webber on the other hand have abilites outside of their compaions which make them better without them. Maxwell easy sanity manipulation makes it very easy for new and veteran players to decide how sane or insane they want to be at any time, both of which can be useful at different times. Webber's traits of having a beard and eating m. meat with no penalty also makes him very useful without his compaions. His beard can easily be a very good support during winter (with also having the trait of being stylish as hell if used with the right hat) and since most of the enemies in the game drop m. meat, he also his a food source that is available anywhere in the game, with certin areas being more dense them others which can allow you less food preperation. 

Wurt is fine enough. She has a ability that makes her useful without being too powerful like you say, and has decent other perks that support her main perk, but without set up she is very unremarkable. Her vegan tendencies make her very interesting to play as most of the meta foods can't be used and the crockpot is much more useless, while farms do get much better (still not absurdly good but they become a actual viable option as they can provide her with more veggies and healing at home). She is a fun character to play as and can become very powerful with enough time and set up, but that time and set up is what keeps her from being op. Unlike actual op characters like Wickerbottom and Wolfgang who can get their power relatively easy, Wurt has to go through a few good in game weeks to finally get to a point where her power starts to shine. You value the result of what Wurt can become, but not the long and difficult road to get to that glorious moment.

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Dead by Daylight. Specifically the Survivors.

15 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

Dead by Daylight. Specifically the Survivors.

I mean thats a case to case and person to person thing. There is also atleast one decent or really good perk from each killer/survivor that can be ised bt the other killer/survivors so I would say thats its a fittable bit not as general like say the infamous "Horse Armor Dlc".

1 hour ago, Frashaw27 said:

-snip-

Well here’s why I feel the way that I feel about Wurt (I will try to keep this as TL:DR as possible)

Wurt thrives best in a Swamp, not only will she move significantly faster & see Swamp tentacle with ease there but she will also have a Pre-Built Set of Merm-Shacks & Ponds to fish within.

It only takes Fishing in the ponds nearby to gather enough fish to build even more Merm Shacks.

Now here’s what Wurt can do that no other character not even WEBBER can do- With enough Pre-Built & Self Built Merm Shacks Wurt now has her own personal Empire of Bodyguards to protect her base from other players. The ONLY people who can get anywhere near her base are either other Wurt players- Or the people she specifically crafts a disguise to wear Otherwise they’re getting punched to death quite quickly.

TL:DR less Willow Griefing burning everything you own.

Because She’s based in a Swamp and spiders tend to spawn there a lot she also never needs to leave too far from home to gather massive supplies of both Spider Silk & Fish.

A Wurt wearing a Top Hat and carrying a Pet Fish will never need to worry about Sanity management at all ever again.

Wurt doesn’t lose grip when her inventory becomes wet either so no weapons slipping out of her hands while engaged in Combat.

A Wurt with a personal Army of Merms also has the advantage of feeding them 1 Veggie or giving them a pet fish OR when it’s Wintersfeast 1 Eternal Fruitcake to have them follow her around.

Wurt can heavily save her Tool Durability by hitting a tree ONCE with a Axe or a Rock ONCE with a Pickaxe, The Merms will finish the jobs for her.

and now Wurts cons- She’s a Vegetarian and Pigmen Hate Her.

When Wurt first released She also used to be hated by Catcoon but even that Con was taken away from her.

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wurt thrives best in a Swamp, not only will she move significantly faster & see Swamp tentacle with ease there but she will also have a Pre-Built Set of Merm-Shacks & Ponds to fish within

Swamp turf can be moved and just simply replaced in a biome that is more benefical. Seeing where tentacles is good for exploring but it falls out usefulness since anything nessary blocked by a nearby tentacle can just be killed off and you just find random tentacles in the swamp that just means you barely go to that area to really notice it. The pre built merm houses are really far apart and are a pain to build around. There is also the issue that they act like simple merm houses so they can just be replaced by ones you created, they provide a slight boost in the early game but can still be easily replaced rather easily. Ponds aren't that rare. They appear in random forests and grasslands all the time so they aren't very special. There is also the fact the ther is the ENTIRE F***ING OCEAN to fish from (unless you are making merm houses but even then you would get them in bulk).

30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Now here’s what Wurt can do that no other character not even WEBBER can do- With enough Pre-Built & Self Built Merm Shacks Wurt now has her own personal Empire of Bodyguards to protect her base from other players.

10 tier 3 spider dens would be enough to deter normal players, ~15 should be enough to utterly eradicate anyone unless they played absurdly carefully. There is also the fact that a good fire clense from a suicidal grier can easily get rid of all those houses.

33 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

less Willow Griefing burning everything you own.

If you are that concerned about anti briefing measures, then just place fossils around the spawn portal and put a lazy deserter in there so that you can filter who gets in and out. Most griefers would just quit from this method and any griefer willing to jump through hoops just to grief obviously won't be detered by other methods either.

37 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Because She’s based in a Swamp and spiders tend to spawn there a lot she also never needs to leave too far from home to gather massive supplies of both Spider Silk & Fish.

Again the ocean, and spiders are really easy to move. Like a small step above meat bulb level easy, it just requires waiting and then the process of getting the den and moving it.

39 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

A Wurt wearing a Top Hat and carrying a Pet Fish will never need to worry about Sanity management at all ever again

Or wear a tam o shanter to achieve the same effect with a additional item space. Or just play maxwell and achieve this by stright up existing.

40 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wurt doesn’t lose grip when her inventory becomes wet either so no weapons slipping out of her hands while engaged in Combat.

Wearing a Eyebrella or Raincoat can negate wetness altogether so it is actually pretty easy to not be wet at all if you are not just using a straw hat and umbrella. The 3 enemies that can knock a weapon out of your hands are also easily kitable so there isn't much use for it.

43 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

A Wurt with a personal Army of Merms also has the advantage of feeding them 1 Veggie or giving them a pet fish OR when it’s Wintersfeast 1 Eternal Fruitcake to have them follow her around.

And then some time later you have to fees them again, and again, and agian and then you have run out of supplies and then they stop following you, and them you have nothing. The very fact you need to feed each and everyone is the problem here. Webber can get that food all back in a days work and he gets the on mass. Wurt has to tame each one you want and the food you eat to tame them is apart of the limitted food that has to actually regrow. There is also the fact the picking and taming time gets worse and worse with the more and more you have.

51 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wurt can heavily save her Tool Durability by hitting a tree ONCE with a Axe or a Rock ONCE with a Pickaxe, The Merms will finish the jobs for her

And stand around for a while while they chop. Maxwell can also do this, with no time limit, for significantly cheaper. There is also the fact if you are mining and chopping with a big enough brigade, you are clearly either prepare to do alot of chopping/mining and thus will have the tools required to do so. The process also isn't limited to merms since pigs do the exact same job, the exact same way except with only trees, which will be thier main purpose in harvest support. It might also be cool to mine a bunch of stone fruit at once but that can be easily done be hand with out sacerficing any profits.

58 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

She’s a Vegetarian and Pigmen Hate Her.

Yeah, thats because she is weak without her merms to help so adding a severely harsh downside would balence her late game but for the rest it would just seem unnecessarily hard for something that might not even happen. Her power relience on her merms is her biggest downside, she is adverage on her own and needs the support from her merms to be powerful. By saying that having too many good perks with a equal number of doqnsides is getting rid of any nuance. Wormwood moves faster during spring, can eat poisonus foods without penalty, craft living logs, make traps, armor, can gain sa ity from just planting pinecones, and can use lureplants for a highly refined version of a toothpit. Seeing that list you cpuld say that he is broken because of all of those perks but his downside of not being able to heal from food is whats makes him balenced. Her 2 true downsides, veganism and companion reliance, is enough to balence them put because of the severity of them. I assume that you are blinded by ypur percived notion that these perks are better then what they are, slightly useful perks that are meant to only be ther to better flesh out the character. She is powerful like Winona, basic at the beginning but grows in power over the game, she isn't broken because she has to build up to her power, thats what I have been saying this entire time. If having a lot of companions means a character is broken then all characters muat be broken because they can make a pig army. The only difference If the creature and a few slight difference, because merms are just slightly better pigs. The only reason why you are saying that Wurt is op is because merms are specifically for her, and thats it. Nothing about the merms screams inheritly broken yet you seem to say that just having enough of them with a few extra perks on the side is enough to be considered op. She is very strong at best.

Pigmen Don’t naturally punch and kill anything around them.. Pigmen will completely Ignore Miskito and laugh as they bite you, Merms on the other hand seek out and destroy anything that comes near their shacks.

which means- you can just stand in a Swamp pretty much forever while the Merms fight off the Miskito and Spiders and anything else that comes near their lovely run down homes.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Pigmen Don’t naturally punch and kill anything around them.. Pigmen will completely Ignore Miskito and laugh as they bite you, Merms on the other hand seek out and destroy anything that comes near their shacks.

which means- you can just stand in a Swamp pretty much forever while the Merms fight off the Miskito and Spiders and anything else that comes near their lovely run down homes.

What about not building pig houses around swamp pounds if you're going to use them as bodyguards? If you do that the only thing that can get you are hounds and bosses if you're bad at fighting them.

Which means you can just stand in a [insert any biome other than Swamp] pretty much forever while the Pigs fight off hounds and anything -monster- that comes near their lovely house. While giving you a bunch of pig skin every 20 days.

Same thing can be done with bunnies too.

But merms killing mosquitoes definitely make her OP, no doubt about it.

Wormwood is the best character for those days where you just feel like taking it easy. Plus, he tremendously supports the team by base sitting with a bird cage.

now Wilson has absolutely nothing going for him! His role of base sitting beard man has been replaced! >:D

7 hours ago, SonicDen220 said:

I thought this thread was about Wormwood.

Ah well that was completely derailed when they mention Wurt is op, which I had to remind why She is not. A d*** move? Maybe but they were the one to spark the fire so I'm not guilty at all. I also did share my opinion of Wormwood near the bottom of the second part, which might have been overshadowed by Wurt, but to sum it up: Wormwood is a great characters who's small perks feeds into a playstyle of base sitter/explorer as a majority of his power resides in him staying in a single location for a decent amount of time. His Downside perfectly dits him into a more pacifist or a basesitter because of the increasing difficulty for his health, this however doesn't restrict him from fighting and instead just adds a new layer of complexity to fighting. He is great, balenced characyer that is a joy to play as. He is very powerful in groups but is above mediocre alone.

7 hours ago, Booklover said:

Man stop stop stop. @Mike23Ua is amazingly persistent. You can only help those that wanna be helped, you know? Stop wasting your time and let's talk about Wormwood being great at both hunger and cuteness.

The only way to fight against ignorance is with knowlage. Even if the recipient has the listening skills of a brick wall, other people can read my, to be perfectly honest, too long arguements and can learn from reading them to find put why I think the argument is wrong in my eyes. Besides, a brick wall cam eventually be swayed with enough repetitious convincing.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Pigmen Don’t naturally punch and kill anything around them.

They kill what you need to be killed like hounds, spiders, and tentacles. They don't need a whole lot of targets as the amount is enough to kill as other mobs don't usually come in groups and thus are easily killable by your own to hands. If ypu are so worried about griefers, then just either use the method I described or just nase somewhere where it would too tedious for griefers to go to. You don't need a absurdly high amount of security from other people because you don't trust them. The merms crusading personallity may make them good defense but I also doesn't defend from a whole lot of things.

Pigmen will completely Ignore Miskito and laugh as they bite you,

I was so confused aas Mosquito is speeled horribley wrong that I though you we're talking about something like a hound. The mosquitoes are also completely ignorable if you fish from the ocean or from non swamp ponds.

you can just stand in a Swamp pretty much forever while the Merms fight off the Miskito and Spiders and anything else that comes near their lovely run down homes.

Or just use pigs, or bunneymen for the same or better results.. Also being able to just stand around and do nothing is not special and is actually a kinda useless trait.

7 minutes ago, Axelocke said:

now Wilson has absolutely nothing going for him! His role of base sitting beard man has been replaced! >:D

Hey, Wormwood can't grow a beard so he ia not completely replaced.

18 hours ago, Sweaper said:

Someone else mentioned this but they also let you get spiky bushes, which are superior in every way to normal saplings except that they damage you, so being able to negate that downside is just a nice qol thing.  The armor is also very useful for crowd control, especially on stunlockable enemies like bees and spiders, both of which drop healing items which can either be used raw or made into honey poultice and healing salves, glands salves and poultice being some of the easiest sources of healing as wormwood.  You can also use the silk to make tents/siestas, which are yet ANOTHER way to heal.  You also will want to wear it if you use the traps, as you will be damaged by them otherwise.  His armor compliments his downside really well and is probably one of the most underrated of his items imo.

42 minutes ago, cantbeatdaboss said:

Someone else mentioned this but they also let you get spiky bushes, which are superior in every way to normal saplings except that they damage you, so being able to negate that downside is just a nice qol thing.  The armor is also very useful for crowd control, especially on stunlockable enemies like bees and spiders, both of which drop healing items which can either be used raw or made into honey poultice and healing salves, glands salves and poultice being some of the easiest sources of healing as wormwood.  You can also use the silk to make tents/siestas, which are yet ANOTHER way to heal.  You also will want to wear it if you use the traps, as you will be damaged by them otherwise.  His armor compliments his downside really well and is probably one of the most underrated of his items imo.

If bees and spiders were harder to fight then I would have to agree that the armor was very useful for it. It gets worse when you remember that you can make an auto farm with spiders and bunnies. No reason to waste armor and healing items on an already easy mob, having to replace the armor (which isn't cheap early game and mid/late game is an annoyance) and healing items because of spiders is a big nope for me.

I never found a good use for spiky bushes personally, twigs are only demanding in the early game to craft tools and torches, but early game you won't be in need to go specifically for spiky bushes because their advantages won't matter at that point, and maybe mid game if you don't have a Shadow Manipulator yet, so you can craft ham bats. After that you'll barely need twigs and when you do you just pick from twig trees since it's faster to pick.

His traps aren't that good if you need to drop your backpack and risk it burning or being stolen and you'll need to craft to everyone else in the server or else they will be annoyed and get rid of your traps to put the tooth ones.

Archived