Sign in to follow this  
Hellshound38

Battery Heat Math Question

Recommended Posts

Hellshound38    82

How many steel batteries sitting in steam would it take to have 100% up time on a maxed output steam turbine?

Would the power generated outpace the power leak?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhailRaptor    952

You'd need to use Large Batteries rather than Smart Batteries, I'd think.

You'd probably also need a "double floor" of Mesh Tiles for the Batteries to sit on, and then an actual floor of solid Tiles underneath, to ensure the Batteries can't ever be Flooded.  Or use the...  Submersible Batteries(?) mod, that has an equivalent set of Batteries and Transformers that can be submerged without becoming Flooded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,454

I can do the calculation when I get home, but transformers have no runoff and generate infinite heat, so you could answer the second question "yes" if you use those instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gurgel    1,391
33 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

I can do the calculation when I get home, but transformers have no runoff and generate infinite heat, so you could answer the second question "yes" if you use those instead.

Ah. That is why I do not find transformers under "power wasted". I have been wondering about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OxCD    481

Hem, one turbine is removing 877.59 kDTU/s for 850W net positive power.

So to keep one turbine up 100% max charge, 100% uptime, you would need 877 transformers. (I'm not even taking into account turbine cooling system to deal the 91.76 kDTU/s produced).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gurgel    1,391
10 minutes ago, OxCD said:

So to keep one turbine up 100% max charge, 100% uptime, you would need 877 transformers. 

Finally something I can do with all that empty space on my asteroid!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OxCD    481
9 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Finally something I can do with all that empty space on my asteroid!

9 tiles per transformer (including 3 tiles for the floor, so 3x3)

877 transfomers means 877x9 = 7 893 tiles

Map size is 384x256 = 98 304 tiles

That means it needs a steam room, which is filling up 8% of your map (more, because of neutronium snipping you've got less than 98 304 tiles total), and a single turbine on top, which is going to hoover the heat over 5 tiles only.

Also you'll need 175 400kg of refined metal (better have a metal volcano).

That definitely sounds... cosy.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarquan    777
11 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

You'd need to use Large Batteries rather than Smart Batteries, I'd think.

You'd probably also need a "double floor" of Mesh Tiles for the Batteries to sit on, and then an actual floor of solid Tiles underneath, to ensure the Batteries can't ever be Flooded.  Or use the...  Submersible Batteries(?) mod, that has an equivalent set of Batteries and Transformers that can be submerged without becoming Flooded.

The goal should be to maximize DTUs per joule, not DTUs per battery. 

Smart batteries produce 500/0.667 = 750 DTUs per joule.  

Jumbo batteries produce 1250 / 3.3333 = 375 DTUs per joule.

Therefore, using smart batteries is better for this purpose, but both are power-negative.  The batteries would need to produce at least 1032 DTUs per joule to be power positive.  Of course, using small transformers is infinitely better for this purpose, but then you don't get power storage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellshound38    82
2 hours ago, Zarquan said:

The goal should be to maximize DTUs per joule, not DTUs per battery. 

Smart batteries produce 500/0.667 = 750 DTUs per joule.  

Jumbo batteries produce 1250 / 3.3333 = 375 DTUs per joule.

Therefore, using smart batteries is better for this purpose, but both are power-negative.  The batteries would need to produce at least 1032 DTUs per joule to be power positive.  Of course, using small transformers is infinitely better for this purpose, but then you don't get power storage. 

I was originally thinking regular batteries.

They would also take less space

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarquan    777
4 hours ago, Hellshound38 said:

I was originally thinking regular batteries.

They would also take less space

Actually, regular batteries are just as good as smart batteries for this.  They have 750 DTU/joule conversion rate.

Edited by Zarquan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellshound38    82
25 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Actually, regular batteries are just as good as smart batteries for this.  They have 750 DTU/joule conversion rate.

Yeah I guess the only remaining question Is are Steam Turbines  more efficient at lower temps / blocked inputs. 

I assume not, so I guess this will always be an Energy loss. However, Using it for energy storage at least it recoups a significant amount of power leak. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psusi    188
3 hours ago, Hellshound38 said:

Yeah I guess the only remaining question Is are Steam Turbines  more efficient at lower temps / blocked inputs. 

Nope.

3 hours ago, Hellshound38 said:

I assume not, so I guess this will always be an Energy loss. However, Using it for energy storage at least it recoups a significant amount of power leak. 

Don't use batteries for storage, store the fuel and turn the generators on/off when needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this