Recommended Posts

Zarquan    777

Ever wanted to have all of your dupes in exosuits, but you don't want multiple checkpoints or for them to walk down a long line of exouits? 

image.thumb.png.be5f2c0de10c85b267b7241170f94173.png

Here, we have a long lineline of exosuit docks, but the dupes only have to jump on the natural sulfur tile to get through the checkpoint.  The checkpoint fully functions and pulls suits from the correct place.  It can extend as far to the right.

This can easily be built in survival.  Liquid sulfur floats on petroleum and is liquid at the same point:

First, build a standalone exosuit dock in a vacuum, preferably out of steel.  Put an exosuit in it, but leave it unpowered and without oxygen.  The insulated tiles are made of ceramic.

image.thumb.png.5a1d931e7560b0d4b5206ba3c2a444d7.png

Second, put some petroleum at around 200 C.

image.thumb.png.0d22fe680e2313301983a59b990e95aa.png

Third, put around 600 kg amount of liquid sulfur in at around 200 C.

image.thumb.png.c564df718663dfced9c6f24b963841bb.png

Finally, cool the sulfur.  I do this by building a few temp shift plate next to it until is solidified. 

image.thumb.png.849cbecf5b607a03ea47f96f77f95bfb.png

The natural tile is now placed.  We can remove the insulated tiles and bottle emptier and build the other exosuit docks and checkpoint.  Put exosuits in the docks and wire and pipe the docks with floors under them.

image.thumb.png.d49052b728445bdfa92d1fc78b257bbc.png

Now we have an exosuit checkpoint that the dupes can path through vertically and that they can get exosuits in a constant amount of time, no matter how many exosuits there are!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1455

What in the world! Very cool. Are they required to be in a suit when moving through either direction?

Edited by nakomaru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarquan    777
4 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

I don't understand the point of this. What's wrong with having more than one checkpoint, for example?

This saves time.  It means they don't need to run past exosuits to get in to their exosuits.  It can also be built in-line with a ladder fire poll system without blocking the pathing.

7 hours ago, nakomaru said:

What in the world! Very cool. Are they required to be in a suit when moving through either direction?

Do you mean what happens if they go right instead of left?  Right is a dead end, there is nothing there to do, so the dupes never need to go that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ixenzo    62

@Zarquan I think I get the point of it. It allows vertical mobility across a line of docks. I suppose it useful, though since my dupes are always in suits, I've never had to deal with long checkpoint-dock lines. They don the suits first thing in the morning - the barracks are three plastic beds, 3 docks, and a checkpoint, with everything fitting nicely into a 16x4 room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarquan    777

The question I would ask is why do you have it set up like that?  You would probably save space (if you have a large number of dupes living in the same place) using a system like this one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ixenzo    62

Why wouldn't I set it up like that? There is no downside to having dupes always be suits, and all of the buffs are basically permanent. It makes the base compact, reduces the entire exosuit network to a single point of entry, which also has the benefit of not having to drag oxygen pipes and wires all over the place, and makes the problem you're providing a solution for impossible to occur (well, if three docks to a checkpoint is too many for you, then I suppose it doesn't).

For example, my base has two exits: left and right. The halves of the map can only be accessed through its corresponding door to cut down on pathfinding. I would have to place as many docks as I have dupes in front of each door to enable full access for everyone, which means two docks per dupe. That's a waste of space and materials. Having docks in the barracks also means I only have to supply atmospheric oxygen to them only and let the rest of the base drown in chlorine for all I care (but then I'd have to dispose of the CO2 dupes exhale during sleep, and the most obvious solutions insult my OCD, so I still slap that vent somewhere within the living space).

Another nice thing is that it provides an organic way to have dupes as multiples of three while fitting into the standard 16x4 structure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarquan    777
Just now, Ixenzo said:

Why wouldn't I set it up like that? There is no downside to having dupes always be suits, and all of the buffs are basically permanent. It makes the base compact, reduces the entire exosuit network to a single point of entry, which also has the benefit of not having to drag oxygen pipes and wires all over the place, and makes the problem you're providing a solution for impossible to occur (well, if three docks to a checkpoint is too many for you, then I suppose it doesn't).

For example, my base has two exits: left and right. The halves of the map can only be accessed through its corresponding door to cut down on pathfinding. I would have to place as many docks as I have dupes in front of each door to enable full access for everyone, which means two docks per dupe. That's a waste of space and materials. Having docks in the barracks also means I only have to supply atmospheric oxygen to them only and let the rest of the base drown in chlorine for all I care (but then I'd have to dispose of the CO2 dupes exhale during sleep, and the most obvious solutions insult my OCD, so I still slap that vent somewhere within the living space).

Another nice thing is that it provides an organic way to have dupes as multiples of three while fitting into the standard 16x4 structure.

My point wasn't why you want your dupes in suits, but why you have the docks as part of a modular setup like that.  If you have multiple barracks units next to each other, then you could save space by having them all go through the same exosuit checkpoint if you have a large number of dupes. 

Also, fun fact, you can put an exosuit checkpoint at both ends of a row of exosuits and it works fine.  This setup can be made to work like that.

But some people like their module designs for very good reasons.  I personally like my base to be usable without suits so I don't need to give my home maintenance dupes exosuit training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1455
1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

Do you mean what happens if they go right instead of left?

Actually I meant what happens when they go vertically. I thought you were saying you can keep all your dupes in suits all the time like this, so I figured that you had tricked them to staying in them when moving vertically. But it seems like that wasn't the case. Darn.

Edited by nakomaru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarquan    777
Just now, nakomaru said:

Actually I meant what happens when they go vertically. I thought you were saying you can keep all your dupes in suits all the time like this, so I figured that you had tricked them to staying in them when moving vertically. But it seems like that wasn't the case. Darn.

You could do that.  However, this is more of an in-line intersection rather than a vertical checkpoint.  All you have to do is make a floor under the exosuit docks and make the path down on the other side of the checkpoint.  Same principle applies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ixenzo    62
50 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

My point wasn't why you want your dupes in suits, but why you have the docks as part of a modular setup like that.  If you have multiple barracks units next to each other, then you could save space by having them all go through the same exosuit checkpoint if you have a large number of dupes. 

Also, fun fact, you can put an exosuit checkpoint at both ends of a row of exosuits and it works fine.  This setup can be made to work like that.

But some people like their module designs for very good reasons.  I personally like my base to be usable without suits so I don't need to give my home maintenance dupes exosuit training.

You can do vertically spaced rows of docks with a single checkpoint, but that would ultimately require a single entrance to all of the barracks (even if the rooms themselves are separated for the room bonus), and make the structure at least 18 tiles wide in a three-beds-three-docks configuration. That's ugly as sin.

Placing the docks outside of the barracks in a vertical row cfg leads back to the two docks per dupe issue.

Edited by Ixenzo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gurgel    1401

Not really relevant for me (I usually stay at 12 dupes), but I like the unconventional thinking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarquan    777
On 1/11/2020 at 1:20 PM, Ixenzo said:

You can do vertically spaced rows of docks with a single checkpoint, but that would ultimately require a single entrance to all of the barracks (even if the rooms themselves are separated for the room bonus), and make the structure at least 18 tiles wide in a three-beds-three-docks configuration. That's ugly as sin.

Placing the docks outside of the barracks in a vertical row cfg leads back to the two docks per dupe issue.

I agree that if your dupes are always in suits and their suits are integrated in to their sleeping arrangements, then this is unnecessary.  I personally don't do that because I have large numbers of dupes and it makes me give each dupe exosuit training when it isn't necessary if you oxygenate their workplaces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dosephshih    45

I like the idea as it give some new possible layout design. And you way to build is manageable but not easy to think of it normally.

Is it going to be "building entombed" for the second dock?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarquan    777
1 hour ago, Dosephshih said:

I like the idea as it give some new possible layout design. And you way to build is manageable but not easy to think of it normally.

Is it going to be "building entombed" for the second dock?

 

Yes.  In this design, the first 2 docks are non-functional, as the first one doesn't have a floor and the second is entombed.  The dupes will deposit suits in them, but they can't be refilled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now