Mirthandir's Mirthandart

Just having a go at this whole forum thing, purpose of the thread might change in the future. But, for now, it's mostly intended art related.

For the record, I have very little knowledge of how forums work, so. Something of a learning experience, on that front.

Just a Webber I did a couple months back, mostly as painting practice. Specifically, practicing saturated shadows, lighting, and fur textures, but also something I somewhat did just for personal bragging rights.

20191125_215049.png

hound.png

hound.png

Baby Warly

20190719_010146.png

• Like 15

A couple of Wilba doodles from 40 years ago. The WereWilba one is/was actually part of a finished piece, but I. Actually hate looking at the finished piece but still like the sketch so take it anyway

sketch1549630388518_1_1.png

sketch1549630388518_1.png

This is the real reason Wagstaff got taken off the character roster

warbanned1.png

warbanned2.png

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

On 1/9/2020 at 11:39 PM, Mirthandir said:

20191125_215049.png

hound.png

20190719_010146.png

Resembles @SDragonhead's Webber but unlike dragonhead making the teeth part of the flesh, the bony teeth are given a bucktooth vibe here. Cute painting and nice lighting.

Were you inspired by the anatomy of the moon hounds with the mouth?

That little detail became so iconic. Everyone wants to draw baby Warly.

On 1/10/2020 at 12:59 AM, Mirthandir said:

sketch1549630388518_1_1.png

sketch1549630388518_1.png

warbanned1.pngwarbanned2.png

You now have my curiosity piqued about the drawing.

That's adorable. Love the little ugly details on her chin.

I saw your thread a few days ago and I told my father your comic. This really made me blurt out laughing.

On 1/16/2020 at 10:29 PM, Mirthandir said:

itsathreat.png

578c39481d26a_Wilsonhashadenoughwithmaxwell.png.ce2f204374c213e671a933333426f130.png

I'm glad you're enjoying the terror that is WX's teeth.:wilson_ecstatic:

Is there a type of green color you used for this? It doesn't look grey to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

Resembles @SDragonhead's Webber but unlike dragonhead making the teeth part of the flesh, the bony teeth are given a bucktooth vibe here. Cute painting and nice lighting.

The thing about Dragonhead's Webber is that they're going for making Webber's fangs more realistic to real-life spider anatomy (chelicerae attached to mouth, fangs attached to the ends of chelicerae).

20190610_205838.png.83bf235a517e3d3a4832c785e5d04730.png

Which, I actually tried to do for a while, but could never get it quite right to my own liking. It was hard to find a balance between "my perfectionist OCD wants to make it closer to realistic spider anatomy" and "my perfectionist OCD ALSO wants to keep the buck-toothed vampire fang look in canon".

My solution to this? Make the chelicerae white.

20200118_192238.thumb.png.707683260665c1b63ff84d7becb21ac9.png

See, like this. (Sorry about the crappy sketch, I only did enough to demonstrate.) The chelicerae is the white part, where as the actual 'fang' is hidden behind it. Think of it sort of like a praying mantis' arm. So they aren't actually bones/teeth, but they're meant to give the illusion/impression.

Thank you for the compliments, btw. The colouring/lighting was actually what I was trying to practice with :')

That's adorable. Love the little ugly details on her chin.

Less "ugly details" more "imperfections". (It's meant to look like peachfuzz)

Were you inspired by the anatomy of the moon hounds with the mouth?

I actually can't remember what exactly it was that inspired me. I think it was a combination of "hounds have to have a skull that takes up like 40% of their body", a drawing of Charlie I saw on tumblr but don't know the source of, and messing around with the creature editor in SPORE. But it was a good couple months after Turn of Tides had already been out, so that could've been a subconscious thing too.

Edited by Mirthandir
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Oh I saw that yesterday XD was it Tumblr or DA? I wasn't sure if it was a birchnut or not at first.

It was probably on my tumblr. I hope to god it wasn't on DA, because I haven't used my DA in like two years and if it was on there then whoever posted it stole it without permission.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mirthandir said:

The thing about Dragonhead's Webber is that they're going for making Webber's fangs more realistic to real-life spider anatomy (chelicerae attached to mouth, fangs attached to the ends of chelicerae).

20190610_205838.png.83bf235a517e3d3a4832c785e5d04730.png

Which, I actually tried to do for a while, but could never get it quite right to my own liking.

I thought you already were the one artist who drew the best and most realistic Webber design tee hee. And I haven’t thought about how similar my Webber’s fangs were close to a real spider.. I have a strong mix between toony and realistic features when it comes to designs

0820062B-1B1B-4178-BED6-47E11C01F326.png

Also I always look up for any new draws you do! Glad to find ya here on the forums now

• Like 8

8 hours ago, SDragonhead said:

Also I always look up for any new draws you do! Glad to find ya here on the forums now

image0-29.png.b2dcf57263fd986c98e07c8781c36c6b.png

I mean the only real reason I never ventured to the forums was just bc the visual clutter of forums has always turned me off from them, but also I am Bewildered at you waiting on me since I always feel like baby tier in terms of artist popularity/recognition. I mean I have a couple of popular posts but, ;;

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SDragonhead said:

I wanted to tag you so you could see this person's art and so I could give a example without saying "HOW DARE YOU STEAL A POISON'S STOIL!?!?". You two are really good artists.:wilson_goodjob:

5 minutes ago, Mirthandir said:

I never ventured to the forums was just bc the visual clutter of forums has always turned me off from them,

Thanks for joining the forums! I really like looking at your work,.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 12:35 PM, Mirthandir said:

I mean the only real reason I never ventured to the forums was just bc the visual clutter of forums has always turned me off from them,

I always feel like baby tier in terms of artist popularity/recognition. I mean I have a couple of popular posts but, ;;

Yeah the forums can be quite a bit to take in at first but you get used to it over time. Heck, I don't even visit every sub-forum ^^; just art, memes and off-topic stuff.

I feel you. I've been on DA for the longest time and still only have a handful of active watchers. But I'm glad you decided to join us ^_^

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20200129_035132.thumb.png.cbc082c66b4ef7f46a9d38c08b441c52.png

Whoo it's done! I actually had this idea a good couple weeks back, but I was kinda dealing with moving into a new place and didn't quite have the time/energy to sit down and finish it until now.

Originally I wanted to draw Webber with This Outfit before Winter's Feast actually ended, but I figured a nice way of getting away with it was to do it sort of like an old vintage Christmas card.

Anyway, I love the odd unity that comes with the Winter's Feast event exemplifying the togetherness of the game itself alongside the fandom/community. Here's a screenshot of the correlating outfit.20200110_165712.jpg.aff07e9afd681645302c38d77ad3dd09.jpg

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Mirthandir said:

I actually had this idea a good couple weeks back, but I was kinda dealing with moving into a new place

Sometimes it can take a year for me to tackle the ideas I already printed out refs for.

10 hours ago, Mirthandir said:

20200129_035132.thumb.png.cbc082c66b4ef7f46a9d38c08b441c52.png

He looks really dapper there! The colors give off a Currier and Ives vibe.

• Like 2

20200206_004854.thumb.jpg.d9f42a1ad894bf870ec322af1b8ec66b.jpg

A ten-or-so-minute practice doodle of Woodie. Just a grandpa.

wheelerskins.thumb.png.c40c62419bfc56b94ded0194f5e18645.png

On a completely unrelated note, I spent the better part of a month gradually fleshing out this sheet for some hypothetical Wheeler skin ideas, because why not?

Left to right:

Triumphant -> Survivor -> Guest of Honor -> Gladiator

Roseate -> Victorian -> Snowfallen -> Magmatic

I probably could have done a couple other sets, but I decided to go with the largest ones. I might do more in the future, but for now I'm just glad to have this sucker done and out of the way :p

Edited by Mirthandir
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Nice base for Wheeler for the designs. Gives her a organic and lazed pose.

I just now realized I gave that Woodie sketch and the Wheeler(s) the almost exact same pose, which. I did not mean to do. The Woodie was drawn today and most of the Wheelers were drawn 2+ weeks ago, so uh. Whoops.

But either way, Wheeler's a chill gal, so having her weight resting lazily on one leg seemed in-character. Or maybe I just have a lot of stock poses.

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

The Woodie design is huggable.

Full disclosure, Woodie basically looks and acts like a slightly younger version of my IRL grandpa. All I can think of when it comes to Woodie is my grandpa and it shows in any and all art I do of him

• Like 1