Recommended Posts

KittenIsAGeek    1449

Nice! I've been using a similar setup, though I don't bother with sterilization.

image.thumb.png.34a0475875b91eec0cd40f4f2c6099ec.png

image.thumb.png.09ed4f356e1d4c48bd2e8676abd2d8d9.png

The 5 pipe segments between the sieve and the first shower are plenty to cover use from 12 dupes.  Excess PW that gets produced goes to feed a single thimble reed.  With 12 dupes, this is almost enough to keep it continually growing.  Note: The PW line in the floor tile is a coolant line and flows counter to the PW from the toilets/showers/sinks.  It compensates for the very gradual temperature increase in temperature due to toilet use.

Thimble reeds make a great wastewater disposal system.

Edited by KittenIsAGeek
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neotuck    2219
1 minute ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Note: The PW line in the floor tile is a coolant line and flows counter to the PW from the toilets/showers/sinks.  It compensates for the very gradual temperature increase in temperature due to toilet use.

nice, I was just planing on replacing one of the statues next to the bathroom with a wheeze wart

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KittenIsAGeek    1449
Just now, Neotuck said:

nice, I was just planing on replacing one of the statues next to the bathroom with a wheeze wart

That would work too!  You can still see my farm plot in the upper left corner where I had a wart before I put my coolant line in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neotuck    2219
Just now, KittenIsAGeek said:

That would work too!  You can still see my farm plot in the upper left corner where I had a wart before I put my coolant line in.

haha, took me a minute but I see it!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neotuck    2219
27 minutes ago, caffeinated21 said:

@Neotuck any idea how many dupes this could support before your single treatment reservoir would get backed up?

I have been thinking about that, need about 3 minutes average of no bathroom use to kill germs and empty the first reservoir

with proper schedule management and even adding more bathrooms to the loop I'm sure you can support waaaaaay more dupes 

Currently with 16 dupes the reservoir only fills up with less than 300kg average

If my math is right with 5000kg being the max it can hold in theory this compact design can support over 266 dupes.  Doubt I'll ever need that many

Edited by Neotuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soulwind    273

I use something similar, although I use a clock timer for the sterilization door (open door for 10 percent time) and a single germ sensor to loop germy water back in.  I also have the cleaned water dump back into my main reserve to be cycled into the base cooler and berry irrigation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KittenIsAGeek    1449

All you have to do is make sure that your schedules have at least 135 seconds between dupe activity in the restrooms. My schedules wouldn't work, because my fourth schedule overlaps downtime and bathroom use.

image.thumb.png.9c03a4171edc102351d7839c41b6a761.png

Also, there's only a minimum of 50 seconds between one schedule's bathroom time and another schedule's down time for the other three.  So in a wort-case scenario, there wouldn't be 135 seconds for the germs to die.  I would have to either use a different method or change my schedules.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neotuck    2219
1 minute ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

All you have to do is make sure that your schedules have at least 135 seconds between dupe activity in the restrooms. My schedules wouldn't work, because my fourth schedule overlaps downtime and bathroom use.

image.thumb.png.9c03a4171edc102351d7839c41b6a761.png

Also, there's only a minimum of 50 seconds between one schedule's bathroom time and another schedule's down time for the other three.  So in a wort-case scenario, there wouldn't be 135 seconds for the germs to die.  I would have to either use a different method or change my schedules.

that's why I just add more bathrooms to the loop, free up the schedule to allow germs to die 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ixenzo    62

Here's the bathroom loop I've been using. Well, it's also an entire industrial district with a cooling loop and a heat dump battery that will take as much heat as you can throw at it - I've been using it to smelt all of the metal I need for hundreds of cycles.

 

Spoiler

1.thumb.png.012bb3e0387ded17b26d61471f6e2693.png

Piping:

 

Spoiler

2.thumb.png.3b199302160bb4ad31ba62b34c30a9a0.png

Features an infinite PW storage tank with a pump and an aquatuner inside. The more water it contains, the more heat it can take. Pump supplies the sieve and the refinery with PW, priority can be decided with the bridge direction. You can also enlarge your vessel girth-wise if you want a second pump to evacuate the liquid for other purposes. All of the PW enters through a vent, you can bridge in any exterior source of PW, and I'm sure you can perform some pipe macaronis to fit another vent or two to increase the maximum rate of filling.

Sieved water enters a reservoir that just so happens to be submerged in chlorine (I don't care about disinfection but still do it out of habit). The purpose of it is to provide 10 kg packets into the aquatuner loop instead of 5 kg since there's only one sieve. Its output is bridged in into the AQ loop. The radiant part of the loop can be extended anywhere you want, I just use it to locally cool down the district, primary from the kiln, and I use granite pipes because who cares. The shutoff lets the water out of the system into the upper reservoir. The upper reservoir collects this water for a rainy (not) day and also happens to be submerged in chlorine. I've never seen any germs in it once it's full. Output is to whatever consumer you have - bathroom, farms, vent to space.

Wiring is straightforward:

 

Spoiler

3.thumb.png.da0ea9524e37aea345003ad1c226b6eb.png

Aquatuner is restricted by automation:

 

Spoiler

4.thumb.png.10d2de1eea5cc059a9ef6e91a77dce3e.png

Here I use a simple AND gate with a clock gate - I only allow it to operate when dupes sleep AND water packet temp is hot enough. My dupes are on a single shift, so this is sufficient. If you use multiple shifts, a pressure plate single under the operator spot of the refinery can be used to shut down the aquatuner any time the refinery is being worked or when some dupe runs across the plate. With this you have 70 watts left over to play around with, go nuts.

The sweeper is there mostly for fully automated luxury ceramics, but jsut happens to refill the sieve and put polluted dirt into the compost pile, and fill up the refinery with stuff as well. There's some space for receptacles/rail chutes delivering humanitarian aid too.

I don't actually insulate the floor doors of the tank and just let it radiate into the environment for reasons of laziness, but it's totally possible if you were to have plans for this much heated PW for some reason. It would also make the "hall" a nice four tile height.

Not gonna lie, I pump all of the primordial PW into this baby just because I can (and I mean it's gotta go somewhere, I'm buildin' 'ere!).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psusi    189

Why are you bothering to disinfect the germs, if you are just feeding it to a thimble reed?

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Note: The PW line in the floor tile is a coolant line and flows counter to the PW from the toilets/showers/sinks.  It compensates for the very gradual temperature increase in temperature due to toilet use.

Wait, what is doing the cooling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psusi    189
2 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I have a polluted water circulation loop running through the living area of my base.  It keeps the temperature fairly stable.

And that's cooled with an AT?  It sounded for a second like you were somehow using the water in the closed toilet loop to cool the water in the toilet loop ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KittenIsAGeek    1449
Just now, psusi said:

And that's cooled with an AT?  It sounded for a second like you were somehow using the water in the closed toilet loop to cool the water in the toilet loop ;)

Yes, it now uses an AT.  For the first 100 cycles or so it simply circulated through a pool of water that occasionally had ice thrown into it.  But, no, I'm not using the toilet water to cool the toilet water -- unless you consider that I have a counter-flow heat exchange system between the bathroom water and my cooling loop.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0eec23c568762db5552e34893368e339.png

At the far left, the PW from a shower enters the exchanger at 22.7c.  At the far right, it leaves the exchanger at 21 C.  The coolant line, immediately above it, is 20.8 C as it enters the exchanger from the right.  It isn't designed well -- it was built as a kludge and I never got back to redesigning it.  

Originally the PW from the bathrooms exited at the top going right.  When I built the coolant loop, it ran underneath the bathroom.  This kept things below the bathroom cool, but the recirculating water in the bathroom loop was slowly warming up.  Anyway, its a mess that needs to be redesigned, but it works so it isn't high on my priority list.  I think when I get around to fixing it, I'll run the clean water line down there.  Since that water stands still much of the time, it won't take long for it to reach ambient even if the PW going to the sieve is warmer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurve    379
1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

This run I was kinda curious how many dupes I could support with only two bathrooms before they started having accidents.

Around 48.  If you stagger their potty breaks by one time block, someone will be wanting to go just as the toilet becomes available.  The downside is the seat will still be all warm.

Edited by Lurve
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neotuck    2219
59 minutes ago, psusi said:

Why are you bothering to disinfect the germs, if you are just feeding it to a thimble reed?

clean dirt

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fifty_ducks    9

I have hope that one day germs will get a second look and content update so this type of clever stuff is more useful than dirt - regardless, excellent setups everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nitroturtle    635
4 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

Here's the bathroom loop I've been using. Well, it's also an entire industrial district with a cooling loop and a heat dump battery that will take as much heat as you can throw at it - I've been using it to smelt all of the metal I need for hundreds of cycles.

 

  Hide contents

1.thumb.png.012bb3e0387ded17b26d61471f6e2693.png

 

I'm confused about where you are dumping the heat and also how those sinks are intended to function.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KittenIsAGeek    1449

I'm with @Nitroturtleon that one.  @Ixenzo, are you aware that sinks are only used when dupes walk past them with germy hands?  So, they'll use the toilets, then because its a dead-end path, they have zero reason to walk to the sinks.  I'm curious.. are your dupes fighting with food poisoning a lot?

Edited by KittenIsAGeek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ixenzo    62
11 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

how those sinks are intended to function.

 

4 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I'm with @Nitroturtleon that one.

They're there to show the consumers of clean water? Should I have added a plantbox or two as well? I probably would have noticed my dupes not washing hands after all the years I've been playing this game if that were the case? I assumed it was obvious, but apparently not, so I'll take that into account should I share other builds of mine.

11 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

where you are dumping the heat

 

15 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

Features an infinite PW storage tank with a pump and an aquatuner inside. The more water it contains, the more heat it can take.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neotuck    2219
2 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

They're there to show the consumers of clean water? Should I have added a plantbox or two as well? I probably would have noticed my dupes not washing hands after all the years I've been playing this game if that were the case? I assumed it was obvious, but apparently not, so I'll take that into account should I share other builds of mine.

dupes are dumb by nature, you have to place the sinks in their path in order to make them use it

Edited by Neotuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now