Large quantities of cold CO2. Do I vent into space or are there other uses?

Yep; if you want to save it use an infinite gas storage.  I don't know why you would want to do that though.  The goal is to make more hydrogen which means you're always going to be making more oxygen than you need, which means you're never going to use that infinite storage.

10 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

If you have over production of o2. Don't use long hair    use   dense puffs and prince pufts. They will make you oxylite 

I would, never bothered with them though and by now I'm so far down the line that all pufts in my map have died off sometime somehow. 

9 hours ago, psusi said:

And then what do you do with that?  It's only use is turning back into oxygen, which is what you were trying to get rid of.  Unless you still haven't gotten to the point of using LOX for rockets, in which case you're either already doing this or using the oxylite refinery and will be moving to LOX soon.

I've got both, oxylite production has made the problem of spoms backing up much less frequent and more manageable already for me, as such I'm using it in petrol rockets which I can send back and forth in high frequency to 10k/20k asteroids to get fullerene, while saving Lox and Lh2 as precious fuel for longer trips. 

So untill I get enough dupes to offset oxygen production Im going to stick with oxylite for a while. 

1 hour ago, Lilscratchy said:

I've got both, oxylite production has made the problem of spoms backing up much less frequent and more manageable already for me, as such I'm using it in petrol rockets which I can send back and forth in high frequency to 10k asteroids to get fullerene, while saving Lox and Lh2 as precious fuel for longer trips. 

So untill I get enough dupes to offset oxygen production Im going to stick with oxylite for a while. 

I suppose it does take less power than liquifying oxygen, though you burn more petrol too which means using up more water on that.  Which you could use instead to generate the power used to liquefy the oxygen... probably more so.  And probably still save on water that you could then electrolyze for more hydrogen.

18 minutes ago, psusi said:

I suppose it does take less power than liquifying oxygen, though you burn more petrol too which means using up more water on that.  Which you could use instead to generate the power used to liquefy the oxygen... probably more so.  And probably still save on water that you could then electrolyze for more hydrogen.

I kind of like it using up more water as is, since I'm boiling petroleum instead of using oil refineries, on top of that I've built a mini sour Gass boiler which, powers two small bricks of 12 nat. Gas geysers one which is insulated, left to heat up to about 150 degrees before the turbines kick in, after which the polluted water has flashed into steam, the dirt is collected and shipped off, while the other brick feeds its water straight into my Ph20 reserves, which, among with the water from 8 petroleum generators, two Ph20 geysers, and two cool slush geysers actually leaves me with more water than I know what to do with. I could do with more hydrogen, but I don't like wasting the oxygen I'm thinking of upping h2 production by building a spom and just shipping the oxygen off to a small room where I can freeze it and leave it in airflow tiles in a vacuumed space or something. But then again that'd defeat the purpose of me switching to steam and nat. Gas power primarily since hydrogen gens and my reserves are basically backups for if power goes reaal low. So basically, right now I have no necessary use for extra water to turn into hydrogen. Although, it's a good point, if and when I ever have to be conservative on resources I'll definitely keep that in mind! 

Man, I have no idea what you guys are doing with all that power.  My hydrogen gens hardly run anymore with all of the steam turbines, and the petrol gen only running at 25% from one ethanol refinery from 4 wild arbor trees.  I'm burning off some NG from the oil refinery and fertilizer gen, and the NG vent I finally found is usually overpressure and not running.

17 hours ago, psusi said:

Man, I have no idea what you guys are doing with all that power.  My hydrogen gens hardly run anymore with all of the steam turbines, and the petrol gen only running at 25% from one ethanol refinery from 4 wild arbor trees.  I'm burning off some NG from the oil refinery and fertilizer gen, and the NG vent I finally found is usually overpressure and not running.

The bulk of my power consumption comes from aquatuners maintaining cooling loops, I've also built a large space reserved for automining and collecting regolith with a lot of miners and sweepers. 

On top of that I have a transit tube network with lots of access points, i want everything place to be accessible. It tends to drain a lot of power when you have 20 dupes using it over the course of a cycle. Also 

44 minutes ago, Lilscratchy said:

The bulk of my power consumption comes from aquatuners maintaining cooling loops

How much?  I've got a cooling AT in both of my mini rodrgiuez spoms with a loop cooling the industrial area around them, but they don't run much.  The other AT cools the oxygen.  The only other ATs I have are for the LOX production and to keep the 3 steam turbines cool that delete that heat and heat from the rocket launches.

46 minutes ago, Lilscratchy said:

I've also built a large space reserved for automining and collecting regolith with a lot of miners and sweepers. 

I wonder how much power that takes.  Initially I built some bunker doors with a double layer of unpowered crusher doors underneath to protect the space scanners and observatory and dispose of the regolith.  Once I scanned all of the planets, I shut that all off and just left the bunker doors locked.  The rockets I just leave out in the open.

46 minutes ago, Lilscratchy said:

On top of that I have a transit tube network with lots of access points, i want everything place to be accessible. It tends to drain a lot of power when you have 20 dupes using it over the course of a cycle. Also 

Ahh, I only have one transit tube running from main base up to space.  Still, even if 20 dupes used it 4 times per cycle that's "only" 1,333 watts on average, or less than two of those dozen NG gens.  I guess if they are really going everywhere in it then maybe they could use it 10 times per day though... or could they be using it more?

38 minutes ago, psusi said:

How much?  I've got a cooling AT in both of my mini rodrgiuez spoms with a loop cooling the industrial area around them, but they don't run much.  The other AT cools the oxygen.  The only other ATs I have are for the LOX production and to keep the 3 steam turbines cool that delete that heat and heat from the rocket launches.

I wonder how much power that takes.  Initially I built some bunker doors with a double layer of unpowered crusher doors underneath to protect the space scanners and observatory and dispose of the regolith.  Once I scanned all of the planets, I shut that all off and just left the bunker doors locked.  The rockets I just leave out in the open.

Ahh, I only have one transit tube running from main base up to space.  Still, even if 20 dupes used it 4 times per cycle that's "only" 1,333 watts on average, or less than two of those dozen NG gens.  I guess if they are really going everywhere in it then maybe they could use it 10 times per day though... or could they be using it more?

I think I have 11 or 12 constantly running AT's off the top of my head. Around 20 acces points Id say, true at one point I doubt the necessity of Constantly removing regolith, but it serves to me a dual purpose of harvesting regolith for a regolith melter powering 11 steam turbines, on top of that it has so far converted regolith into 2000 tones of igneous rock. 

I have dupes running supply errands all over, however to preserve performance I have centralised storage where I literally dump everything, so in order to maybe supply a build in space, dupes have to travel to my storage around the center of the map to get it sometimes leading to 4 dupes working on a build having to travel back and forth 2 to 3 times each. In order to speed that up I have to have a lot of quick acces leading to the storage and leading to the vicinity of wherever they need to go. And that's just the dupes running supply errands, usually when they get out of the living quarters the start of a cycle, at least 8 immediately jump into the transit tubes and go off to do what they do and when they have downtime or go to bed, they use the transit tubes as well to get back to the living quarters( except for when they're real close to the living quarters) . So that is a standard of 2 to 3 uses for every dupe on top of that as wel. 10 times per dupe per cycle would be a stretch. From what I've seen it's more like around 6 times per day for every dupe. 

I don't know the exact numbers though. Could be that it's something different consuming the bulk of my power but I find that unlikely. I recently had to implement sour Gass boiling for the nat Gass generators to quick-fix the twofold problem of a dirt shortage accompanied by occasional brown outs during spikes in power consumption, especially when meteor showers hit, bunker doors opened and all my sweepers and miners had to get to work. So what I do with all my power is... Consume it... To which the logical next answer would be either crank up power production or to conserve consumption... Which I really wasn't feeling like doing. 

Also, I could probably do with less power producers. Everything is automated and it usually takes 10 seconds of everything running to fill the batteries up again due to my high net-production, 6 petrol gens and maybe only 8 NG gens was working earlier, but it took incredibly long for my batteries to fill up, maybe over half a cycle at times, if they filled up at all. At some points they just drained ever so slowly while my producers were constantly running. So I just made sure I set up enough petrol gens and (now) nat-gas gens so that my production of petrol/Gass almost matched their consumption if they were to have to run full time at one point. Of course, my power producers aren't running continously, but it does allow me to compensate for potential future needs so I won't have to micromanage my everything because I may or may not be producing enough power. 

Interesting.. what do your stats say?  The worst cycle in the last few that I checked says:

Power Added: 1984.1 kj ( Hydrogen: 1161.3 Steam Turbine: 536.3 Petrol: 164.8 NG: 121.8 )

Power Removed: 1955.6 kj

• Jet Suit Dock: 288 J
  • Mech Airlock: 384 J
  • Auto Sweeper: 480 J
  • Electric Grill: 1.5 kJ
  • Atmo Dock: 4.8 kJ
  • Jokebox: 12.9 kJ
  • Gas Range: 13.5 kJ
  • Water Sieve: 25.4 kJ
  • Liquid Pump: 31.1 kJ
  • Carbon Skimmer: 33.8 kJ
  • Soda Fountain: 38.5 kJ
  • Glass Forge: 53 kJ
  • Fert Synth: 72 kJ
  • Electrolyzer: 96 kJ
  • Incubator: 110 kJ
  • Ethanol Distiller: 119.2 kJ
  • Transit Tube Access: 129.2 kJ
  • Molecular Forge: 273.6 kJ
  • AquaTuner: 360.5 kJ
  • Gas Pump: 579.2 kJ

Power Wasted: 20 kj ( 16 kJ smart batteries, 4 kJ transformers )

I imagine you are getting quite a bit of power from the melter steam turbines too.  The three I have for the rocketry stuff are almost always running, but not hard.  The ones in the SPOMs hardly run.  The ones over the hydrogen vents run pretty good when it is erupting, but that's only 1/4th of the time.  Looking at these numbers it looks like I really need to get that NG going more and save more hydrogen.

12 hours ago, psusi said:

Interesting.. what do your stats say?  The worst cycle in the last few that I checked says:

Power Added: 1984.1 kj ( Hydrogen: 1161.3 Steam Turbine: 536.3 Petrol: 164.8 NG: 121.8 )

I imagine you are getting quite a bit of power from the melter steam turbines too.  The three I have for the rocketry stuff are almost always running, but not hard.  The ones in the SPOMs hardly run.  The ones over the hydrogen vents run pretty good when it is erupting, but that's only 1/4th of the time.  Looking at these numbers it looks like I really need to get that NG going more and save more hydrogen.

I'm not home at the moment, I'll probably be able to take a look tomorrow, I'll post it here tomorrow :)

The regolith melter has provided me with lots of power indeed, thought it could even power up to 15 turbines

12 hours ago, psusi said:

Hmm I'm not at home at the moment, I'll be able to check it out tomorrow though. You need aquatuners just to cool your Spoms? That must be some serious heat they're putting out, how come? I just run pipes of my main water supply of already chilled water behind them and that works out fine in churning out hydrogen and oxygen that is well below 20C. 

You'd do well to save up on some Nat gas, through some sour Gass boiler since nat gas geysers don't have output that will keep you going for long. It's a bit of a hassle to set up but the rewards are quite nice, on top of that you could repurpose the water/steam gained from it to either produce oxygen and hydrogen, gain some dirt or by doing some other things with the polluted water. Relatively uncomplicated and small designs exist too like the one I used for just 1kg/second of nat gas. 

I don't know if it's net water positive but water shouldn't really be a problem, just tame some steam vents. 

4 hours ago, Lilscratchy said:

You need aquatuners just to cool your Spoms? That must be some serious heat they're putting out, how come? I just run pipes of my main water supply of already chilled water behind them and that works out fine in churning out hydrogen and oxygen that is well below 20C. 

They cool the oxygen coming out.  It's the Rodriguez design with a heat exchanger under the steam turbine that the oxygen flows through on its way out of the sealed room with the electrolyzers and hydrogen generators ( so they delete their own heat ).  The ATs don't run very much at all, but it's a nice self contained system.  I don't do any cooling of water anywhere ( other than as the coolant in the sealed loop between the AT and the heat exchanger in the spom ).

1 hour ago, psusi said:

They cool the oxygen coming out

Do you really need to do that? I've always been setting up electrolyzers right next to the tamed water source, fed that water without cooling and then just shipped oxygen in regular pipes to the base. One screen worth of space is pretty much enough to cool to ambient temps, and even if you end up with 40C oxygen inside the base it's no issue whatsoever.

34 minutes ago, Ixenzo said:

Do you really need to do that? I've always been setting up electrolyzers right next to the tamed water source, fed that water without cooling and then just shipped oxygen in regular pipes to the base. One screen worth of space is pretty much enough to cool to ambient temps, and even if you end up with 40C oxygen inside the base it's no issue whatsoever.

Eh?  The oxygen comes out at 75-95 C.  You don't want your base that hot, so you have to cool it somehow.  Either you cool it at the SPOM then ship it around, or you have to cool the whole base after the hot oxygen comes out of the pipe.  Or I suppose you could just cool a room next to the spom and the oxygen will be cooled by that on its way through.  Is that what you are saying?  That's basically what I'm doing, but that room is small, sealed, uses radiant pipes and kept at around 10 or 15  C so the oxygen comes out at around 20 C instead of 40.  If the oxygen is starting at 40, then any local heat source is going to get it hotter than that, and iirc, dupes start having problems then, and certainly crops don't like it.  At least I start getting nervous when things get over 30.

3 hours ago, psusi said:

Eh?  The oxygen comes out at 75-95 C.  You don't want your base that hot, so you have to cool it somehow.  Either you cool it at the SPOM then ship it around, or you have to cool the whole base after the hot oxygen comes out of the pipe.  Or I suppose you could just cool a room next to the spom and the oxygen will be cooled by that on its way through.  Is that what you are saying?  That's basically what I'm doing, but that room is small, sealed, uses radiant pipes and kept at around 10 or 15  C so the oxygen comes out at around 20 C instead of 40.  If the oxygen is starting at 40, then any local heat source is going to get it hotter than that, and iirc, dupes start having problems then, and certainly crops don't like it.  At least I start getting nervous when things get over 30.

I'm saying exactly what is written in that post: there is no need to cool the oxygen at all unless the production is literally inside your farm, which it wouldn't be. The only place in your base that needs to be actively thermoregulated is the farm; dupes can sleep in 70C oxygen no sweat.

The amount of energy in a full pipe of 95C oxygen is negligible compared to the surrounding mass: even a small biome through which a pipe is laid has dozens of tons of material which will take hundreds of cycles to appreciably heat up all the while passively cooling the oxygen. In one of my bases I had oxygen enter at 40C at the insulated shell and supply nine suit docks. 400 cycles later the docks area was 34C, whereas the farm 10 tiles diagonally away from it was 20 - the temperature of water supplying it. The base fully oxygenated with that same oxygen and solid tiles where all gold. No cooling loops whatsoever, the farm water pipe traveled in the insulated shell and entered the base only as far as the furthest plant box. The 40C entry temp was achieved by using an igneous rock pipe (not even granite) laid from the electrolyzer 1.5 screens away. The temp inside the electrolyzer room was slightly below 97C.

I'm not arguing that you or someone else shouldn't cool oxygen. I'm arguing that it's a pointless waste of power, materials, and space.

1 hour ago, Ixenzo said:

I'm saying exactly what is written in that post: there is no need to cool the oxygen at all unless the production is literally inside your farm, which it wouldn't be. The only place in your base that needs to be actively thermoregulated is the farm; dupes can sleep in 70C oxygen no sweat.

They may be able to take 40, but 70 will definitely cause heat stroke.

1 hour ago, Ixenzo said:

I had oxygen enter at 40C at the insulated shell and supply nine suit docks. 400 cycles later the docks area was 34C, whereas the farm 10 tiles diagonally away from it was 20 - the temperature of water supplying it.

That's why: you were cooling it down with the water.  Instead of cooling the air, you cooled the water and the water cooled the air.  And it is kind of a waste of power to cool the water down to 20 before feeding it to bristle berries since they only need to be below 30.  If you keep the air cool you can even feed them significantly hotter water if you use a valve to choke the flow to only what they need.

10 hours ago, psusi said:

a waste of power to cool the water down to 20 before feeding it to bristle berries since they only need to be below 30

The temp of incoming water is irrelevant because it is apriori lower than the temp of incoming oxygen. You must cool water for the bristle regardless of whether you cool the oxygen or not. The waste of power here is cooling the oxygen when it is passively cooled by the surrounding tiles all the way from the electrolyzer box to the docks.

6 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

The temp of incoming water is irrelevant because it is apriori lower than the temp of incoming oxygen. You must cool water for the bristle regardless of whether you cool the oxygen or not.

Did you not read the rest of what I said?  You don't need to cool the water for the bristle berries.  You only have to keep the plant itself cool. If you can perfectly insulate the hot water from the environment you wouldn't need any cooling whatsoever.  You can't get it perfectly insulated, but by using a valve to choke the flow, you can get pretty close.  Then you only need to use a tiny amount of energy to cool the oxygen instead of a metric ton cooling down all of that water.

6 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

The waste of power here is cooling the oxygen when it is passively cooled by the surrounding tiles all the way from the electrolyzer box to the docks.

It's only passively cooled until the environment heats up.  That may take 30 to 50 cycles, but it will happen.

19 minutes ago, psusi said:

If you can perfectly insulate the hot water from the environment you wouldn't need any cooling whatsoever.  You can't get it perfectly insulated, but by using a valve to choke the flow, you can get pretty close.

So you're saying that I should use a valve for each pipe leading to a plantbox limited to exactly the plant's consumption per second and somehow water would get deleted without transferring heat to the plantbox and the plant itself? If that's the case, then it's clearly a bug and an exploit. Even if I put it in insulated insulation pipes, the water should be transferred to the plantbox from the pipe inside it first, exchange heat with it, and only then get consumed. The plantbox will heat up the plant and exchange heat with surrounding tiles, quickly stifling the plant. Therefore, cool water is required.

25 minutes ago, psusi said:

It's only passively cooled until the environment heats up.  That may take 30 to 50 cycles, but it will happen.

Add a couple zeroes to the cycle number and you're in the right ballpark.

1 hour ago, Ixenzo said:

So you're saying that I should use a valve for each pipe leading to a plantbox limited to exactly the plant's consumption per second and somehow water would get deleted without transferring heat to the plantbox and the plant itself? If that's the case, then it's clearly a bug and an exploit. Even if I put it in insulated insulation pipes, the water should be transferred to the plantbox from the pipe inside it first, exchange heat with it, and only then get consumed. The plantbox will heat up the plant and exchange heat with surrounding tiles, quickly stifling the plant. Therefore, cool water is required.

Yes, that is exactly how it works.  The farm tile only gets heated up by hot water that sits in its internal reservoir.  Once the plant deletes it, it no longer can heat anything.  That's how the game works.  You do the same thing with hydrogen generators: feed them hot hydrogen and they delete the heat.  Feed an electrolyzer hot water and it deletes the heat.  If you use a valve to limit the flow to only 1 kg/s and the electrolyzer never gets overpressure, it can delete a lot of heat by feeding it water that is above 100 C.  There are many examples.

Even if you don't use a valve to limit the water flow and let it heat the farm tile, it still takes a lot less power to cool the air around the plant than it does to cool the water.

1 hour ago, Ixenzo said:

Add a couple zeroes to the cycle number and you're in the right ballpark.

Definitely not.  It seems the reason you think this is because you keep cold water flowing in the area which is cooling it.  Thinking back to the first time I used an electrolyzer I just piped the oxygen through radiant pipes in my main starting water pool.  It certainly worked for a while but even that large body of water got hot after a while and it certainly wasn't 5000 cycles.  If that were the case then nobody would ever bother with cooling at all because nobody plays that long.

2 hours ago, psusi said:

It seems the reason you think this is because you keep cold water flowing in the area which is cooling it.

The 20C water and the 40C oxygen enter the base from diametrically opposing directions and never come closer than 10 tiles diagonally from the closest dock/plantbox. I can insulate the farm that has cool water flowing in it and the base's temp won't ever reach heatstroke temperatures (unelss you're producing the oxygen inside your base), which is the main point - cooling oxygen is pointless unless your dupes live inside the electrolyzer chamber.

2 hours ago, psusi said:

You do the same thing with hydrogen generators: feed them hot hydrogen and they delete the heat.  Feed an electrolyzer hot water and it deletes the heat.

All buildings with piped input produce heat during operation... except plantboxes. Operating in vacuum they will eventually overheat. Except plantboxes (though you wouldn't have them in vacuum to begin with). However, the point I made is that no matter how little of the resource you're piping into a building, thermal transfer between the resource and the building must occur before it is consumed. Yet another thermal bug, yet again.

As it stands, why should I need a hydroponic plantbox if it's evident that the plant actually sits inside the pipe that supplies the resources and the box around it is just a decoy? By the way, make it consume power as well, and produce heat as a result. It would also be more realistic.

1 hour ago, Ixenzo said:

The 20C water and the 40C oxygen enter the base from diametrically opposing directions and never come closer than 10 tiles diagonally from the closest dock/plantbox. I can insulate the farm that has cool water flowing in it and the base's temp won't ever reach heatstroke temperatures (unelss you're producing the oxygen inside your base), which is the main point - cooling oxygen is pointless unless your dupes live inside the electrolyzer chamber.

Wherever your electrolyzer is, the oxygen starts at 70 C minimum and you need to cool it down to at least 40 from there to avoid cooking your dupes.  Let's just say that you have a 10x10 area of natural igneous rock tiles that are each 400kg.  I believe that is quite a generous mass.  That's 40 mDTU per degree to shift.  1000g of oxygen in the duct at 70 C has to lose 30 kDTU to drop to 40 C.  That's 18 mDTU per cycle if the pipe is fully flowing.  As you can see, it will only take about 30 cycles to warm all that rock by 15 degrees or so.  Even if you have an entire biome between your base and the electrolyzer that you only cut a path through for the pipe, and then insulated the barrier between there and your main base, that's still not going to keep your oxygen cool for 500+ cycles.  Trust me, you're cooling it off somehow, even if it isn't the cold water ( which it is ).  The surprising thing is that you managed to do it by accident without realizing it.

Archived