Misa22    495

I agree, I like the easy health and quite the amount hunger they give, and you can amass them really easily (but i have been doing this with eggplants or pomegranate since the very beginning tbh, but they are a better substitute).

I started appreciating them when playing as Wurt, and i like the sanity possibilities they have. 

Pretty good crop all around!

• Like 4

Kuba5565    3193
1 hour ago, Rinkusan said:

An argument I'm anticipating is the pointlessness of sanity recipes in the first place because having no sanity is a GOOD thing. For a solo player who WANTS low sanity to farm nightmare fuel for magiluminescence or knows how to unload shadows so that they never bother you again no matter your sanity, I absolutely agree.

I see, but one can think that sanity is annoying and bad thing, newbies for example. Not to mention that they don't probably know about magiluminescence or unload shadows and stuff.

• Like 2

Terra M Welch    3069

Still doesn't top the bacon and eggs + pierogi meta sadly, at least as far as I can see.

As for sanity, jerky or surf n turf does a way better job. :s

Note I say these things not taking wurt into account. The things I'm mentioning are for non-wurts. >.<

GetRektKids    1005
4 hours ago, Booklover said:

This is from a Reddit Post, ain't it?

Although I will admit that potatoes are surprisingly amazing. A few days into the Warly update I, a noob in the matters of new recipes and veggies, thought that all veggies except for garlic, tomatoes and asparagus are weak. Oh how wrong I was. I even assumed Fancy-Spiralled Tubers are bad! That's how noob I was then. Until good ol' @JazzyGames revealed to me the greatness of Fancy-Spiralled Tubers and potatoes. Like, it's so perfectly disguised as a crap food until you cook it or turn it into it's crockpot variant. It's so darn common as a crop too! 2 Fancy Spiralled Tubers can easily win Meatballs anyday. I always make one as Warly on the first day to combat his hunger plummeting.

Yeah I will say this: Dragonfruit meta is over. Potatoes are kings now. Please don't sue me.

For the love of god..... For all our sanity....

[SNIP]

Please...

• Thanks 2

True, Potatoes are the best in general in my opinion for everyone but Warly. With Warly, I think Onions are the best, but Potato is still an honorable mention.

And yes, Fancy Spiralled Tubers is a godsent to Warly.

Edited by GrandTardigrade

Rinkusan    519
5 hours ago, Terra M Welch said:

Still doesn't top the bacon and eggs + pierogi meta sadly, at least as far as I can see.

As for sanity, jerky or surf n turf does a way better job. :s

Note I say these things not taking wurt into account. The things I'm mentioning are for non-wurts. >.<

I personally hate jerky to be honest; it is one of the most tedious food products to make. 2 days on the drying rack is - in my opinion - 1.5 too many days for jerky to be worth it. If you have a Wigfrid who needs sanity food for the fuelweaver fight, taffy is a great alternative.

The thing with the bacon and eggs is that it's actually expensive. Despite being a high-hunger recipe with one of the longest shelf lives in the game, you definitely cannot keep 18 other people fed with bacon and eggs alone. Bacon and eggs require 2 eggs (i.e. 2 monster meat as the cheapest source of eggs), 1 large meat (i.e. 1 monster meat), and 1 non-monster meat. 3 monster meat for just 1 recipe is a deal-breaker already, but that non-monster meat requirement just makes this recipe that much more tedious. A massive Webber farm and Wickerbottom's sleepytime-stories + birds-of-the-world can barely keep up with that kind of demand, and it's plainly put just a lot more work and sanity cost for less compared to a huge Wormwood potato/garlic/dragonfruit farm.

Pierogis and bacon and eggs are situationally amazing recipes, but you can't mass-produce them the same way you can mass-produce potatoes. 

7 hours ago, Kuba5565 said:

I see, but one can think that sanity is annoying and bad thing, newbies for example. Not to mention that they don't probably know about magiluminescence or unload shadows and stuff.

I'm fully aware that low sanity is awful for newbies; what I'm trying to say in that paragraph though is that low sanity is ALSO bad for even the most elite players if those elite players are playing on a public server where other people can re-load the shadows that you unloaded.

• Confused 1

Rinkusan    519
9 hours ago, Booklover said:

This is from a Reddit Post, ain't it?

Although I will admit that potatoes are surprisingly amazing. A few days into the Warly update I, a noob in the matters of new recipes and veggies, thought that all veggies except for garlic, tomatoes and asparagus are weak. Oh how wrong I was. I even assumed Fancy-Spiralled Tubers are bad! That's how noob I was then. Until good ol' @JazzyGames revealed to me the greatness of Fancy-Spiralled Tubers and potatoes. Like, it's so perfectly disguised as a crap food until you cook it or turn it into it's crockpot variant. It's so darn common as a crop too! 2 Fancy Spiralled Tubers can easily win Meatballs anyday. I always make one as Warly on the first day to combat his hunger plummeting.

Yeah I will say this: Dragonfruit meta is over. Potatoes are kings now. Please don't sue me.

I honestly had no idea that JazzyGames made the same argument. For full transparency, I came up with this argument independently while having a private-message conversation with a friend on discord over Wormwood vs Woodie; apologies if it looks like I'm plagiarizing. Could you link the Reddit post you were referencing?

Also, I'd personally put potatoes in god tier, but eh, potato potahto.

3 hours ago, AnitaCoffee said:

As an Irish descendant literally sitting here eating her Boston Market microwaved potatoes, I conquer whole heartily. 

Potatoes are part of a hearty breakfast. 

• Like 2

Maxil20    373
12 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

Potatoes and crops

I think a lot of people undervalue any crop that is not dragonfruit. Many of the crops can give good hunger and heal for 20 HP cooked (eggplants/potatoes and pomegranates are fantastic examples of this), and people waste them by using them as crock pot filler, not realizing how strong they are normally. I especially like how that’s completely relevant in Hamlet as well, where pomegranates and eggplants are incredibly cheap while dragonfruit anything is significantly more expensive.

The problem I have with potato grinding, and farm crops in general, is just that:  they are farm crops. That means that no matter how you farm them, you must plant the seeds, wait for the seeds to grow, and recycle them through a bird or constantly pick up crop seeds from birds to make up for seeds if you are doing gamble harvesting. It’s especially painful as anyone but Wormwood since farmplots can take a long time to set up due to their resources, and even as Wormwood you can’t leave the crops out for extended periods of time, otherwise they grow increasingly spoiled.

Even if you do make farming worthwhile (which is 100% possible, especially with Wicker/Wormwood) it just takes so long to cycle all of the seeds per harvest since all of them need the gathering animation. This is especially noticeable when comparing it to something like honey, which you can simply harvest and utilize immediately without having to do the process of replanting with random or everyone’s favorite bird lottery in order to hoard rarer seeds. 

In short, it’s not my cup of tea. You can make it work, but you need to put in some constant effort in order to get the rewards you want.

Edited by Maxil20
Empowering W’s since 2020!
  • Like 4

Booklover    376
1 hour ago, Rinkusan said:

I honestly had no idea that JazzyGames made the same argument. For full transparency, I came up with this argument independently while having a private-message conversation with a friend on discord over Wormwood vs Woodie; apologies if it looks like I'm plagiarizing. Could you link the Reddit post you were referencing?

Also, I'd personally put potatoes in god tier, but eh, potato potahto.

Potatoes are part of a hearty breakfast. 

Oooh no he didn't make the same argument. Just that in his "Should Wurt farm dragonfruit" and "New Crockpot recipes" video he told the viewers how great potatoes are when cooked and Fancy Spiralled Tubers are amazing too.

I believe you wrote this on the "Wickerbottom + Wormwood... we didn't starve that day"? 

*When you grow another batch of crops, I highly recommend planting more potatoes. They are a ridiculously amazing crop, arguably BETTER than dragonfruits. A lot of people don't realize that you can reliably regenerate all 3 stats with potatoes.  

Need hunger or health? Cook the potato and eat it; heals 20 hp and 25 hunger simultaneously. Need sanity? Make spiralled tubers or potato pures; the former heals 15 sanity, and the latter heals 33 sanity. Both recipes are insanely cheap, with the spiralled tubers even accepting 2 twigs (the cheapest of ingredients).  

Spiralled tubers = 1 potato + 2 twigs + any non-meat filler  
Potato pures = 2 potatoes + 1 garlic + any non-meat filler*

Sorry if I mislead you with my comment and sorry for if it seem like you're plagiarizing.

Shosuko    951

I normally play solo and don't farm much at all - but I was joining some friends for a ps4 lan party.  One of the players went wormwood and was dutifully planting every seed we found.  He doesn't get any stats besides hunger from the vegies, and we didn't request anything specific except dragon fruit because that's all we knew so he was eating the potatoes without a second thought.

At some point someone comes into the base with a bit low stats and needed something fast.  Wormwood cooked him some potatoes and we were completely blindsided by the amazing healing and hunger these have for a simple cooked vegi!!!  Now we all know potatoes are serious sustanance and seek them out whenever we set up some type of farm.

Unfortunately...  with how good stone fruits are at dumping vegies on us its rare we bother to set up farms...  This game has no sense of balance lol

Rinkusan    519
4 hours ago, Booklover said:

I believe you wrote this on the "Wickerbottom + Wormwood... we didn't starve that day"? 

*When you grow another batch of crops, I highly recommend planting more potatoes. They are a ridiculously amazing crop, arguably BETTER than dragonfruits. A lot of people don't realize that you can reliably regenerate all 3 stats with potatoes.  

Need hunger or health? Cook the potato and eat it; heals 20 hp and 25 hunger simultaneously. Need sanity? Make spiralled tubers or potato pures; the former heals 15 sanity, and the latter heals 33 sanity. Both recipes are insanely cheap, with the spiralled tubers even accepting 2 twigs (the cheapest of ingredients).  

Spiralled tubers = 1 potato + 2 twigs + any non-meat filler  
Potato pures = 2 potatoes + 1 garlic + any non-meat filler*

Sorry if I mislead you with my comment and sorry for if it seem like you're plagiarizing.

Oohh, so that's what you meant when you were talking about a Reddit post. Yeah, that comment was me.

No worries; miscommunication/misinterpretation happens pretty often.

Rinkusan    519
9 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

The problem I have with potato grinding, and farm crops in general, is just that:  they are farm crops. That means that no matter how you farm them, you must plant the seeds, wait for the seeds to grow, and recycle them through a bird or constantly pick up crop seeds from birds to make up for seeds if you are doing gamble harvesting. It’s especially painful as anyone but Wormwood since farmplots can take a long time to set up due to their resources, and even as Wormwood you can’t leave the crops out for extended periods of time, otherwise they grow increasingly spoiled.

Even if you do make farming worthwhile (which is 100% possible, especially with Wicker/Wormwood) it just takes so long to cycle all of the seeds per harvest since all of them need the gathering animation. This is especially noticeable when comparing it to something like honey, which you can simply harvest and utilize immediately without having to do the process of replanting with random or everyone’s favorite bird lottery in order to hoard rarer seeds. 

In short, it’s not my cup of tea. You can make it work, but you need to put in some constant effort in order to get the rewards you want.

Oh absolutely, I'm not saying that farm plots are worth it at all. It's why I clarified that these are "Wormwood crops". 

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know what the point of your honey comparison is. Honey's a great ingredient, but it can't feed a whole public server of people, not to mention the hassle of setting up a honey farm in the first place.

To your point on the gathering animation, I'd argue that this aspect is negligible and - if anything - a slight positive because it gives the people you're feeding a way to contribute to the farm business. Even the newbiest of players know how to hold space bar and drag harvested crops from their inventory to another person. Also, I'm a bit confused about your "bird lottery" comment because potatoes are tied with a few other crops as having the highest possible chance of growing from regular seeds, not to mention the fact that you're guaranteed at least 1 seed of the specific crop you fed the bird.

• Like 1

Easonade    118
4 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

Honey's a great ingredient, but it can't feed a whole public server of people, not to mention the hassle of setting up a honey farm in the first place.

I must disagree, bee boxes are arguably one of the most op food sources in the game, honey is great for all three stats with an extremely long spoilage time, they're much easier to set up than potatoes farms if you don't have a residential Wormwood, and barring winter (of which crops also don't grow) a good amount of bee boxes can absolutely feed a whole server of people.

• Like 2

Maxil20    373

To your point on the gathering animation, I'd argue that this aspect is negligible and - if anything - a slight positive because it gives the people you're feeding a way to contribute to the farm business. Even the newbiest of players know how to hold space bar and drag harvested crops from their inventory to another person. Also, I'm a bit confused about your "bird lottery" comment because potatoes are tied with a few other crops as having the highest possible chance of growing from regular seeds, not to mention the fact that you're guaranteed at least 1 seed of the specific crop you fed the bird.

I guess that works out, but harvesting for me has always been a laborious task. It takes a good amount of time to harvest crops, especially if it’s farmplots. It’s certainly easier with multiple people/Wormwood powers, and anyone can get the hang of it.

I was mainly referring to rare crops with that statement (peppers/dragonfruit), and not other crops themselves. Even if you are guaranteed one seed you still don’t gain anything from it and that happens for 50% of the crops, so 2/3rds of the harvest is snackraficed away to the bird to maintain the crop at minimum. Wormwood can tolerate it since all you really need is a bigger field,  but in farm plots it’s especially bad, since even with 120 farm plots you are really only guaranteed to get a stack of what you wanted. 

Misa22    495

It's no secret that farms are generally not worth it at all. Fight some spiders, get some eggs whoop whoop meatballs forever. 

Which sucks. 

Don't get me wrong, I like crops. There is a ton of different ones and it is a shame that they are not that used. Tbh Wormwood's seed thing is a thing that would save crops... If every survivor could do it. 

I mean, when i play as Wormwood, i notice that i keep eating a lot of cooked veggies from the ground. It's nuts how much this thing makes you change your diet. 

Rinkusan    519
3 hours ago, Easonade said:

I must disagree, bee boxes are arguably one of the most op food sources in the game, honey is great for all three stats with an extremely long spoilage time, they're much easier to set up than potatoes farms if you don't have a residential Wormwood, and barring winter (of which crops also don't grow) a good amount of bee boxes can absolutely feed a whole server of people.

Bee boxes produce honey extremely slowly unfortunately. If you're not standing next to the bee boxes 24/7, the honey production rate is 1 per day per bee box. You need 8 honey to feed a single person per day, meaning you'd need 160 bee boxes to feed a whole server let alone the extra amount needed to keep them sane via taffy.

A Wormwood potato farm, on the other hand, costs nothing but seeds, a single bird cage, a bird net, and Horticulture. It takes 3 cooked potatoes per day to feed a person, meaning 60 potatoes per day if you're excluding other crops that you'll inevitably grow from regular seeds that you have a 50% chance of getting every time you feed any crop to the bird. That's easily doable for a Wicker/Wormwood duo whereas I don't think 160 bee boxes is even possible. 

GenomeSquirrel    653
3 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

1 per day per bee box.

60 potatoes per day

If you’re putting in 60 crops per days worth of effort, I promise you can get more than a single honey per box per day. 

Sweaper    388

Bee boxes produce honey extremely slowly unfortunately. If you're not standing next to the bee boxes 24/7, the honey production rate is 1 per day per bee box. You need 8 honey to feed a single person per day, meaning you'd need 160 bee boxes to feed a whole server let alone the extra amount needed to keep them sane via taffy.

A Wormwood potato farm, on the other hand, costs nothing but seeds, a single bird cage, a bird net, and Horticulture. It takes 3 cooked potatoes per day to feed a person, meaning 60 potatoes per day if you're excluding other crops that you'll inevitably grow from regular seeds that you have a 50% chance of getting every time you feed any crop to the bird. That's easily doable for a Wicker/Wormwood duo whereas I don't think 160 bee boxes is even possible. 

A whole server will have at least someone near bee boxes, even if not, you're comparing something that takes two specific characters against something that takes one.

Replanting is a lot of work, 60 potatoes a day means clicking the bird cage for a while, replanting, reading a book, harvesting everything, repeat. Beebox in the long run is less time consuming. And considering we have multiple and easy ways to get hp and sanity when needed, the amount of potatoes planted will be a waste stat wise, you won't always need hp/sanity, might as well focus on dragonfruit seeds and if a seed grows potato use it for sanity.

Now, if you're on a public server and don't care about sitting at a base planting over and over again then yeah, potatoes will carry an entire server, if you find repetitive work that fun, then good for you, I personally won't be babysitting someone and grinding for them to survive.

Edited by Sweaper

Shosuko    951
3 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

If someone is playing Wormwood to feed an entire server I assume that means they will rarely leave the base.

If I wasn't going to leave the base I could build a simple setup of 24 bee boxes.  While active this would produce 3.5 stacks of honey each day.  Each stack can feed normal character for 4 days.  This gives an upper limit of 14 characters that can be supported off of a simple bee box setup.  Spoilage time is quite long so reserves can be easily stored for winter or when the base-player wants to leave on some adventure.  It can also be kept up by any player so no single player is forced to be the base player just to keep it going the way Wormwood is required to keep up the plant production.

Gathering the honey is a bit tedious, but so is planting a bunch of seeds, feeding the crops to the birds to generate specific seeds, and then planting fields of these specific crops.  Which is "better" probably comes down to team composition and player choice.  Neither is "bad" in that they can both do the job, but its hard to argue against honey when it comes to low maintanance food sources once they are set up.

• Like 2