Why do people base at the oasis? (long read)

10 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

All of these things can simply be relocated to the oasis desert, except for rabbits which aren't even slightly important outside of a couple of crafting recipes. The main appeal of the oasis desert is that it's a large biome completely immune to wildfires, the most destructive seasonal hazard (especially in a multiplayer context). Sure, you could just limit the size of your base and keep flingomatics fueled all summer, but that's the thing, you don't have to in the oasis desert. You can just make a base however you want as long as it fits within the biome.

The problem with the wildfire argument is that in a public server, you will still need to build flingomatics at your base anyways, not only because you need them to prevent crop withering, but because red hounds exist during summer. In a public server, you're very likely to have someone kill a red hound at base, and without a flingomatic, your base is gone. Essentially, depending on context, you can end up saving zero flingomatics by basing in the oasis.

I personally hate the oasis with a passion because of the sandstorm and the annoying amount of effort needed to get the goggle blueprints let alone the materials to craft them. 

1 hour ago, Toros said:

Oasis base is great, particularly for your first year and because of the lack of smouldering you can have a solid summer base if you decide to base somewhere else more permanently.

I like both deserts as bases because cacti are easy sanity and pierogi, and oasis having no smouldering and free gears from tumbleweeds both solve the same problem.

It’s not overrated for first summer or for public servers though, not even a little bit.

The oasis doesn't have tumbleweeds, though. Tumbleweeds spawn exclusively in the dragonfly desert.

With the exception of volt goats, the dragonfly desert has pretty much everything the oasis desert has and more; frankly, the former is so overpowered as a resource biome that I stopped basing there because it makes the game dull in my opinion. 

I can't stand Oasis Basis. Slowed movement speed/reduced visibility (and constant NOISE!) is not something I enjoy, and the additional work needed to relocate resources and counteract the sandstorm (not to mention usually it's really far from other niche biomes like swamps) just makes it a slog for me.

Personally I base near the Moonstone, as it usually has wormholes/sinkholes/touchstones/great biomes nearby (sometimes even the oasis desert itself) and it has that delicious infinite light/sanity/cold source(You can actually nullify the infinite cold by sticking a scaled furnace next to it, the two will balance each other out, so no freezing, no overheating). Sure, I need a singular flingomatic for the general base area, but you can keep it full of fuel throughout the summer and some just by having Glommer naturally crap all over the place, so in a sense it doesn't even consume any real fuel. I believe my biggest moonstone base only had 3 flingomatics, one for the entire base, one for the chest fields, the last for the farms. Again, Glommer's delicious defecation is enough to keep them all fueled through the entire season, and that was only when I made a somewhat large base. If you want to be practical, you'd wedge things a heck of a lot closer together than I do. And Antlion isn't a threat whatsoever to those that live outside the biome, just a free lumberjack at a somewhat random time.

Now, I do sometimes just plop firepits at Oasis, but almost every time I go there, I end up regretting wasting my time there for some fish and some trinkets that I could get in heaps from The Ruins.

Honestly it should be a Less important place than people make it out to be...

Oasis is a Nod to those old movies where people wander around in a empty desert for miles and Miles and then they start to see a Mirage-

Bud Abbot & Lou Costello did it, eventually they would get tired of falling for the “Mirage” and when an ACTUAL Oasis was seen they would ignore it and walk right through it (falling into the Water in the Process)

They should Rework the Oasis in my opinion though- Making The Biome a little bigger & By adding actual Mirage Versions until you find the real one- and replacing the Birchnut trees with Shipwrecked Style Palm Trees, and Crabbits.

if these items would appropriately fit ANYWHERE into DST it’s this Desert Mirage like Area I think.

(I am assuming with all of the confused reactions I’m getting to this post that absolutely none of you know who Bud Abbot & Lou Costello was, They are a Comedy Group from old TV movies I highly suggest googling them, they are what inspired the three stooges to become a thing.. unless you don’t know who they are either, and if you don’t then god help us all..)

I used to base in the desert pretty often.  It was great because my base was close to KO antlion early, cactus is a nice and reliable sanity filler when needed, and I could cut hundreds of trees down at once during the long days with my army of pigs without worrying about them catching fire.  I do think Oasis is over-valued.

Caves are much more advantageous for any season and I usually end up with some key setups in the caves no matter where I base top side.

Lately I've favored the moon base - the light and neutral temp (build furnace next to moon stone) are great for any time of year.

idk why anyone would care where they base on a pub server.  You're only going to play for the first year tops and then it will reset.  Recently I played from early autumn all the way through early spring.  I had a decent base set up with some good food generation, weather gear, and it was all near the spawn portal so there was no missing it.  I came back from getting some food about 20 mins later RESET lol

12 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

anything in the oasis or the sandstorm are immune to wildfires.

That's actually not correct, not that way:

anything in the oasis or the sandstorm can still be affected by wildfires if it's close enough to another biome or the ocean. The oasis or sandstorm doesn't prevent wildfires from happening in the corresponding biome, it only prevents players from casting wildfires around them while being in the oasis or sandstorm.

If somebody wants to seek a place where they're completly immune against wildfires or increased food spoilage then I would recommend them to settle in the caves.

I don't base at Oasis in summer AT ALL:

I like to base in caves instead, here's why:

1: It's relatively barren, and I don't want to relocate food

2: Snad, It gets everywhere. (Including my eyes)

3: Exploring the ruins is a lot more helpful than some crummy sandcastle set.

4: Late game loot because of ruins. 

5: Don't have to worry about heat at all.

6: Enough food to sustain 1-3 people down there without relocating food

7: I can map out the cave entirely

8: RONKS

9: Idk I just wanted 9 thingys

So yeah, some of these are basic or almost pointless. BUT REMEMBER THIS IS MY OPINION

:D

5 hours ago, Shosuko said:

It was great because my base was close to KO antlion early.

K.O.!

9 hours ago, SonicDen220 said:

Volt goats and cactus are enough of a reason for me.
The only annoyance of oasis desert is buzzards.

Dude I'm sorry but your opinion is 

FALSE

Just kidding don't bonk me....

I just really like Buzzards as an emergency food source.  Drop ANY meat they fly down you bonk em' over the head with a big ol' piece of meat and free drumsticks, jet feathers, and morsels

:D

10 hours ago, Bird Up said:

I don't think the oasis is actually any cooler than anywhere else, could be wrong tho.

Oasis bases in public servers are usually bad because they tend to be super far from portal, so it's hard for people to find the base early on, and the oasis often times is a dead end biome. Not always, but it's likely.  Public servers don't often get to summer, but when they do, they often get reset during summer. The cacti in oasis are a lot less useful than it used to be before kelp/stone fruit were introduced. Kelp and stone fruit make better veggie fillers. Dried kelp gives good sanity. It's nice to kill the ant lion early in summer to prevent earthquakes, so I guess basing oasis is nice for that, but it's pretty niche. Not useful until day 56ish. 

I try to base around dragonfly or triple mac tusks most of the time.

You know that thing James Bucket said? Oh man wha was it...... it was th- OH YEAH

WE ARE HAPPILY SUFFERING WITHOUT YOU

basically saying don't join in SUMMER nor WINTER

59 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

Drop ANY meat they fly down you bonk 'em over the head with a big ol' piece of meat and free drumsticks, jet feathers and morsels. 

That's exactly why they're annoying. If I go kill volt goats, I have to immediately pick up the loot so the buzzards don't eat it. And if I don't do it immediately, the buzzards will also aggro on me. Not only that, but because of buzzards you can't even leave any food on the ground to turn into rot, they'll just eat it.

I base on Oasis because on a public server I can't trust noobs to keep refueling fingos when i'm away. I also hate flingo management.

3 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

That's actually not correct, not that way:

anything in the oasis or the sandstorm can still be affected by wildfires if it's close enough to another biome or the ocean. The oasis or sandstorm doesn't prevent wildfires from happening in the corresponding biome, it only prevents players from casting wildfires around them while being in the oasis or sandstorm.

If somebody wants to seek a place where they're completly immune against wildfires or increased food spoilage then I would recommend them to settle in the caves.

The things get wildfires because the fire-preventing of the sandstorm only works if the sandstorm is beeing rendered, so if you're the only player outside the desert and there are other players at the desert, it wont smoulder, but if all players are away, it will.

19 hours ago, Bothead said:

You can just set up a small outpost there instead.

Why spend recources making 2 bases when you can make just 1?

I sometimes make a very minimal SECONDARY base at the oasis, if I find it before summer... (I use randomised seasons and huge worlds.  With possibly less time to explore and more area to explore _in_, that isn't guaranteed.)

Where I tend to make my _actual_ base is...at an area that has useful resources and is also near OTHER useful resources.  Like, a meadow near stuff such as:  savannah, rocks, forest, swamp or desert.

...so, basically the same way I pick my starting locations in "Civilization" games.  If it doesn't have food AND production symbols on that tile, I keep walking.  : P

...Notorious

Personally I dislike the Oasis aside from the outpost concept.  For me the Dragon fly desert is way better to base in/near. If you are effective with building placement you can easily make a 1 flingo base that can sustain 1-4 people(3 gears).  Expanding on that over time with more flingos as gears are gotten.  Below is a small chart of things each location has/deals with that I see brought up or are just equipped with for raw comparison.  Not all points I feel are valid as some can be avoided or remedied over time.  The biggest point I see consistently relates to wildfires and the need for no flingo.  While that can be great that doesn't stop other fire sources.  With that mentality players don't build them and thus are not prepared for the other fire sources to happen. There are two responses to those events:  Rollback or Rebuild. In my opinion one is valid and the player accepts the consequence for lack of preparation and the other just ignores it. Take these points as grains of salt.

Oasis D-Fly Desert
Proximity to Dragon Fly damage X O
Close to Dragon fly for killing X O
Lava Pools for heat X O
Cactus O O
Wildfires IN Biome X O
Wildfires from neighboring Biomes O O
Flingo to combat Wildfires X O
Flingo to combat accidental lighting X O
Tumbleweeds(OP) X O
Proximity to other things ? ?
Gold X O
Natural Hounds to farm X O
Close to Antlion for killing O X
Initial Proximity to Voltgoats O X
Having to refuel Flingos X O
Rocks O O
Sandstorm O X
Possible Wormhole X O
Rabbits I think X O
Place to Fish O X
Natural Light from set piece O O

23 hours ago, SonicDen220 said:

That's exactly why they're annoying. If I go kill volt goats, I have to immediately pick up the loot so the buzzards don't eat it. And if I don't do it immediately, the buzzards will also aggro on me. Not only that, but because of buzzards you can't even leave any food on the ground to turn into rot, they'll just eat it.

Ok yeah that's fair never mind XD

I think the reasons most newer base in oasis are: 

1. Early guides when ANR cane out talking about how it was the best base and a lack of popular current guides to redirect players to other locations.

2. The fact that it's a setpiece makes it look more attractive to newer players, being a nice calm area to contrast the desert around it.  This is similar to people who base at pk because it's a setpiece that looks like there is only one in the whole world, making people want to base there as it is "rarer", even if being right by pk the whole game isnt as useful as cacti and natural warmth and tumbleweeds provided by dragonfly desert.

Generally its newer players who base at oasis, as the people who responded to this post are mostly experienced players who show that other locations are more valuable.

17 minutes ago, Duplo52 said:

Something about light sources

I wouldnt really count those as light sources because they are hard to use as they are both incredible small.  The lava pools especially require you to either light yourself on fire or get really close to lighting yourself on fire.  The fireflies o  the oasis pond are also very small, and cannot be used during summer unless you move them.

You might enjoy this group

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/TheOasisSucks

Ps. I love Oasis because who wants to build their mega base around building and refilling flingos. Tho I agree if there isn't many good resources or good bioms around the Oasis desert, or it's waaaay off in the corner by itself, then it is a crappy choice. But that goes for any spot (PK, Swamp, Mac Tusk forest, etc.).

The Oasis came out a few months after I started playing. When it was first implemented everyone talked about how great it was for MEGAbases due to the lack of smoldering. I'm not sure when the shift happened that people thought it was a good location for any size base. 

As others have said, for a first base or public server base it's not a great location being so far away from other useful resources. The Oasis is great for a MEGAbase because players move all the good resources to that one location and you don't have to worry about everything smoldering. For the surface, it IS one of the best locations for a large base. Anything else though would be better suited in other biomes. 

*I'm on day 5050+ in my world and I've barely got a tiny camp in my Oasis. 

4 hours ago, O_Atoba_Azul said:

Why spend recources *RESOURCES* making 2 bases when you can make just 1?

This is a bad idea. I can see the use of not spending extra resources to have multiple bases, but late game it becomes essential. If you are applying this rule I assume it also means underground? 

BAD IDEA

You always want a secondary base or just a bunch  of little small bases hanging around the world. If you are running low on food run over to one of you mini bases and make some. If you need to make something that you forgot to run over to your little base. If you are all the way on the other side of the map, but you are low on food you are going to either have to make a crock-pot or go to your previous one. Small little bases are helpful. Doesn't have to be big, just a fire-pit, crock-pot, and and alchemy engine. that's it!

Sometimes the surrounding places make it interesting for that world, but it should mainly depend on your plan and your strategy for the moment, say if you want to fight as Warly for example. 

Then there are players that base there just because.

If there is a spider quarry in the world, 9/10 times the oasis is right by it (the rest of the time it's right by the spawn portal for some reason [does that happen to anyone else?]). Woodie main's gotta farm that epic spider loot, so the oasis provides a pretty good spot to base, better than in the middle of a clump of lumpy trees or amongst a bunch of boulders.

To be serious, not having to use flingos is no joke, it allows you to build large and decorative bases and not be punished because you can't cover every single thing with a flingo. Caves are still a superior base imo (insanity is neglected by client mods to disable the screen effect and unloading your nightmares or just a tam tbh). Caves also don't have to deal with hasslers (giants) stomping by every now and then and frees up the player to do what they want.

Also haven't seen anyone mention cactus yet, or the fact that it grows year round and is pretty good for sanity. Dragonfly desert bases have a chance of combusting year round due to flaming tumbleweed syndrome and if they don't then they are usually confined to one side of the desert. 

The oasis is also one of the few biomes that I would call consistently open meaning it doesn't have any thin portions of the biome that would restrict where you place things. I believe this is mainly because it lacks roads in the biome which is a downside if you are a heavy user of natural roads in your base design (I am not).

Though I still would rank another base spot on the surface, inline or above oasis base: moonstone base. Once you get a moon caller's staff, you can slot it any time for infinite cold light in a very large radius and is also near a guaranteed mactusk spawn location usually it is not quite as far out as the oasis so it is closer to the rest of the world most of the time.

I like to make a lil outpost at the oasis like you said, but i don't like making my base in there. 

I prefer interesting locations because of resources nearby or because they just look cool. I am terrible at megabase making, i just make compressed camps and a lil turf decoration here and there. So in my current world (1092 days) my base look like a day 54 one lmao! 

37 minutes ago, Misa22 said:

I like to make a lil outpost at the oasis like you said, but i don't like making my base in there. 

I prefer interesting locations because of resources nearby or because they just look cool. I am terrible at megabase making, i just make compressed camps and a lil turf decoration here and there. So in my current world (1092 days) my base look like a day 54 one lmao! 

That’s not bad though, big bases encourage greifers, but I’ve noticed with small ones they’re like “Pfffft this fool barely knows how to stay alive I’m not gonna even bother.”

On 6.01.2020 at 8:06 PM, Bothead said:

tl;dr: many aspects of basing at the oasis are sort of pointless and provide little advantage compared to lots of other good base locations.

I play on public servers a lot and I see lots of people that base in the oasis. And I genuinely don't understand why.

I mean the oasis desert is quite barren. There are no trees, no grass, no saplings, no rabbits, no moles and It's in one extremity of the map. Which sometimes makes it stand far from important things like pigs and beefalo.  You also have to relocate most of the things you need. It's also kind of weaker compared to its dragonfly variant. There are no hounds which can be farmed, no tumbleweeds(which can provide you with lots of grass and twigs and give you some occasional random loot which can be useful), and no dragonfly or its setpiece. So you can't use magma to heat your thermal stone. Some people say it risky because of the burning tumbleweeds but if that's your problem then just make some stone walls a few units away from burnable stuff or make it far from any magma so that the tumbleweed burns down before it reaches you.

Now I get it. It's used during summer when the lake fills, things don't smolder, and it's a bit cooler and it's closer to the antlion. However, these aren't that necessary.

If you plan ahead and put burnable stuff close to each other and use your space efficiently and in an organized manner, Than you can usually cover the whole base with 2-3 flingomatics. It's not that bad to craft and refilling it isn't really a chore. Just cut a few trees every few days and you'll get enough logs for it. 

The oasis being a bit cooler is kind of pointless when you base there. I mean everywhere else is hotter(except caves) and when you have a base at oasis ou probably have an endothermic fire there as well. So whenever you come back to the base you'll probably just fuel the fire to cool yourself down and the oasis being a bit cooler will become kinda pointless.

However, the main reason why people base there is because there's the lake which fills during summer. So they can fish there for long periods of time, and it's closer to the antlion. But why do you need an entire base just because of that? You can just set up a small outpost there instead. All you need is one firepit, one endothermic firepit, a few chests, one crockpot and icebox, one birdcage, some trees, and about 10 saplings and 10 grass tufts. And maybe one spider egg for monster meat and something else you may need. That's it. These are things you can easily get by like day 55. And if you can stockpile some food in the icebox you can just stand next to the endothermic fire all day and just fish. Then eat than fish again. What's even weirder is that most people just kill the antlion as soon as he spawns without trying to appease him at all. So I mean you are just doing it to get the blueprint for the googles. And from what I read from the wiki It's not that rare. You probably can get it after a few days of fishing.

That's at least what I think. If you have any more knowledge than please try to change my opinion on this.

Bcos you dont need to put flingos down and ruind base design. Having cramped base that is capabale of being covered by 2-3 flingos is small and ugli base that i personally do not pursuit.

Me and my friends are going big, taking over whole biomes building things wide spread. The lack of resources does not bother me bcos eveything can be relocated or you can just... walk to the original point of he resource, its not like walking costs you anything.

Distances does not matter in wolds 1k days +, its only annoying in the first year when you ahve to establish everything.

And come on, rabbits and moles? No one needs them at daily basis, just use 4 for the magic station and few moles for the moogles. 

It also shows a lot about your gamplay, your concerns suggest you are "sit at base" guy that likes have everything not further than two meters away from you from the day 1 or else you cant survive

Just imagine covering THIS in flingos

Spoiler

20200109164607_1.thumb.jpg.63c8c83c4c22e31deea308184dbcbeac.jpg20200109164614_1.thumb.jpg.ea70e6430e8f14794518e78d446c72b5.jpg20200109164625_1.thumb.jpg.f931106bb3e3959337bd6eb045a151a3.jpg20200109164637_1.thumb.jpg.532e0cbe000012da2ea661e7501eb10c.jpg

My current Oasis spawned with the Dfly desert attached to it and the shadow knight set pieces pretty much in Dfly’s area...lol so it was a must for me to base there.  I’m going to see if dfly will take care of them for me.

7C30E544-35CB-451B-ABA9-378628614204.jpeg

The location of the Oasis isn’t too much of a concern to me.  I build bridges between Biomes and can get to the other side of the map via wormholes.

The Oasis has volt goats which you don’t have to relocate across an entire map to pen, cactus flowers, eye plants rarely spawn to eat up all your stuff, no smoldering, infinite but slow source of fire flies, Antlion nearby so you can end his misery ASAP during summer. 

23 hours ago, cantbeatdaboss said:

I wouldnt really count those as light sources because they are hard to use as they are both incredible small.  The lava pools especially require you to either light yourself on fire or get really close to lighting yourself on fire.  The fireflies o  the oasis pond are also very small, and cannot be used during summer unless you move them.

I wouldn't "really" count them either.  At that point I was really reaching for things to mention.

23 hours ago, Duplo52 said:

Not all points I feel are valid as some can be avoided or remedied over time.

Archived