KittenIsAGeek

Natural Tiles for Hatch Stable: Problem or Awesome?

Recommended Posts

Siromatik    135

Maybe you can try regulate the population by adding an another ranching station and/or disable some, counting the critters at night and add some free night ranchers... Hmm interesting thing, thanks for the post !

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KittenIsAGeek    1,432
2 hours ago, Siromatik said:

Maybe you can try regulate the population by adding an another ranching station and/or disable some, counting the critters at night and add some free night ranchers... Hmm interesting thing, thanks for the post !

I might add another ranching station or two -- get more groomed before daylight!  It appears that with only one grooming station, my hatch population stabilizes around 50 to 60 hatches, depending on the timing of eggs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
speckle21    57

That's... something i never thought of. Amazing. 

Is Gossmann getting his sleep during the day? Like is he on a nocturnal cycle?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gurgel    1,387
1 hour ago, speckle21 said:

That's... something i never thought of. Amazing. 

Is Gossmann getting his sleep during the day? Like is he on a nocturnal cycle?

Gossmann is female. Well, as much as Dupes can be. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
speckle21    57
11 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Gossmann is female. Well, as much as Dupes can be. 

I just followed along since OP said gossman was he. 

Is Gossmann getting her sleep during the day? Like is she on a nocturnal cycle?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KittenIsAGeek    1,432
2 hours ago, speckle21 said:

Is Gossmann getting his sleep during the day? Like is he on a nocturnal cycle?

Yes, Gossmann is on a nocturnal cycle.

image.thumb.png.fae60d6dafb8f42f9a8e7d9ec9522298.png

18 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Gossmann is female. Well, as much as Dupes can be. 

I will apologize to Gossman for using male gender pronouns.. when they wake up for the night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
speckle21    57
Just now, KittenIsAGeek said:

Yes, Gossmann is on a nocturnal cycle.

image.thumb.png.fae60d6dafb8f42f9a8e7d9ec9522298.png

Everything seems great then. To answer your title i would say AWESOME!

If you want to groom more then get some more dupes in there. Put more groom stations. Gossmann physically can't groom unlimited numbers of hatches by themselves. But if everything is working out. i don't really see a problem. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,452
Posted (edited)

Taken to the extreme: 

If you want maximum grooming efficiency, you can water lock the hatches to just the center tile of the station.

Edited by nakomaru
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coolthulhu    1,042
25 minutes ago, psusi said:

Dang!  How do you feed that many hatches?

One hatch eats at most 140kg/cycle, so you only need 7 seconds of "conveying" per hatch, per cycle. 600/7=~87, so a single belt would suffice for the whole ranch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psusi    188
1 hour ago, Coolthulhu said:

One hatch eats at most 140kg/cycle, so you only need 7 seconds of "conveying" per hatch, per cycle. 600/7=~87, so a single belt would suffice for the whole ranch.

I didn't mean how do you deliver it, I meant how do you have that much material to sustain them?  I once ranched two normal ranches worth of stone hatches ( so 14? ) for too many cycles and found myself without enough stone when I wanted to start building insulated pipes all over.  With 50 hatches that's 7 tons per cycle.  It won't take very many cycles to eat through all of the material on the map.  Also how are you going to burn 3.5 tons of coal per cycle? ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,452

You don't really need to feed them. Just wait and they turn into meat at the cost of dupe labor. Or wild ones without the cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soulwind    271
30 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

You don't really need to feed them. Just wait and they turn into meat at the cost of dupe labor. Or wild ones without the cost.

Well, wild ones won't ever get you to that massive population expansion. Unless you print a lot of them from the portal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psusi    188
1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

You don't really need to feed them. Just wait and they turn into meat at the cost of dupe labor. Or wild ones without the cost.

Then they will starve to death and you will quickly have none instead of 50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,452
1 hour ago, Soulwind said:

Unless you print a lot of them from the portal.

You got it. Space too.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Then they will starve to death and you will quickly have none instead of 50.

Not before laying one egg while groomed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psusi    188
1 minute ago, nakomaru said:

You got it. Space too.

Are you really going to waste a rocket mission on getting a few kg of meat?

2 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Not before laying one egg while groomed.

I'm pretty sure that only works with pacu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,452
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, psusi said:

Are you really going to waste a rocket mission on getting a few kg of meat?

No, I already get millions of kcals of meat from printing wild voles for double the meat.

5 minutes ago, psusi said:

I'm pretty sure that only works with pacu.

Tamed pacu do not need to be groomed (fed) at all.

Tamed hatches will maintain population with grooming.

Edited by nakomaru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psusi    188
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Tamed hatches will maintain population with grooming.

I swear I've killed off the population before by letting them run out of food.  As a result I always disable grooming if I'm not planning on feeding them to grow more.  Maybe it was because I ate the egg and then they starved to death later... hrm...

 

Still, it's a waste of labor to groom them.  They will still lay an egg and turn into the same amount of meat without being groomed.

Edited by psusi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coolthulhu    1,042
2 hours ago, psusi said:

With 50 hatches that's 7 tons per cycle.  It won't take very many cycles to eat through all of the material on the map.  Also how are you going to burn 3.5 tons of coal per cycle?

I tend to have like 2000t of spare rock around cycle 300 despite farming stone hatches for carnivore. Anything beyond cycle 1k is "death from boredom" (and lag) kind of a game.

Later you can switch to sage hatches fed tree ethanol pdirt byproduct - one tame tree produces over 150kg of pdirt/cycle this way, so it's just one tree per hatch (or 4 wild trees if you roll that way). Or build a regolith melter with cooling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,452
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, psusi said:

They will still lay an egg and turn into the same amount of meat without being groomed.

Ungroomed unfed tamed hatches starve to death at 57.5 cycles of age.

They take 65 cycles to lay an egg.

Testing this math again in the same map now. Testing confirms this with some imprecision.

If you keep them in a vacuum, the hatches will be happy to eat 1300C igneous rock with no adverse reactions. :)

Edited by nakomaru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psusi    188
6 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Ungroomed unfed tamed hatches starve to death at 57.5 cycles of age.

They take 65 cycles to lay an egg.

Testing this math again in the same map now.

So 47.5 cycles is what they take to get to 0 calories, which means if groomed, they would get there in 9.5 cycles, then die at cycle 19.5.  It looks like they take 6 cycles to lay an egg when happy, so another 3.5 cycles would get about 55% to a second egg,  Once they start starving they revert to the wild egg rate of 60 cycles, so they only gain another 16.6% before dieing, which doesn't quite get a second egg.

 

It's funny, I thought that critters were set so that they could lay one egg when wild before starving to death, and that remained the same when tame but not groomed.  Then grooming multiplies the calorie needs by 5 but the breeding by less than that so you had to feed them.  It's weird that a groomed hatch will lay an egg before starving but an ungroomed one will live longer but not lay an egg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,452
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, psusi said:

It's funny, I thought that critters were set so that they could lay one egg when wild before starving to death, and that remained the same when tame but not groomed.

That's mostly right: wilds reproduce at the same speed as glum+tame, and in fact consume calories slightly faster, but the difference is wild status prevents starvation.

Test update: the hatch began to starve at 49/100 age and had about 72% reproduction. Dies at 90%.

Edited by nakomaru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now