Fahrenheit Gang or Celsius Clan?

C and K both, depending on the situation.

Maybe make a poll, you can still edit it in:

Spoiler

image.png.3b950b032151ead0c94802d4b7cd8aec.png

There are not many countries that use Fahrenheit, a distinction might be interesting (multiple choice is an option for the poll).

I'm in the US, so initially I considered switching the game from Celsius to Fahrenheit, but I decided to stick with it. It's really not too bad. In a lot of ways, it makes more sense than Fahrenheit does, even in real life. 

Cold = 0C = 32F (Get out your heavy coat)

Cool = 10C = 50F (Take a jacket or sweater)

Nice = 20C = 68F (Room temp)

Warm = 25C = 77F (T-shirt time)

Hot = 30C = 86F (A perfect day for a swim at the beach)

Very Hot = 40C = 104F (Stay in the AC)

4 hours ago, Vampenguin said:

I'm in the US, so initially I considered switching the game from Celsius to Fahrenheit, but I decided to stick with it. It's really not too bad. In a lot of ways, it makes more sense than Fahrenheit does, even in real life.

One of the reasons most of the world is on SI/metric units these days. Some holdouts stick to historical units because they believe they are somehow better, but that is basically just an unfounded belief in their own superiority.  (That belief can basically be found in any nation on earth. Go figure...)

25 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

One of the reasons most of the world is on SI/metric units these days. Some holdouts stick to historical units because they believe they are somehow better, but that is basically just an unfounded belief in their own superiority.  (That belief can basically be found in any nation on earth. Go figure...)

Also an unwillingness to let go of the system they were raised on or use to.  I generally don't want to update things because I'm not willing to put in the time at any given moment to learn a new system/layout.  This happens all the time when there's an update to a website or program.  The current version/system works, stop bothering me about learning a new one.

Changing to a new temperature system is at least something that's really easy to wrap your head around, just because of how well designed Celsius is.  It isn't a new look for the sake of being a new look.

“In metric, one milliliter of water occupies one cubic centimeter, weighs one gram, and requires one calorie of energy to heat up by one degree centigrade—which is 1 percent of the difference between its freezing point and its boiling point. An amount of hydrogen weighing the same amount has exactly one mole of atoms in it. Whereas in the American system, the answer to ‘How much energy does it take to boil a room-temperature gallon of water?’ is ‘Go **** yourself,’ because you can’t directly relate any of those quantities.”

For a long time I had no idea there was an option to choose F or K in ONI. By the time I was aware of it, I was thoroughly accustomed to the relevant C figures, so I didn't switch.

C works pretty well for ONI anyway, since freezing and boiling points for water are pretty important, and of course C is scaled around those. F isn't all that intuitive for ONI since Duplicants have a ridiculous range of thermal tolerance. They're happy enough in 150 F surroundings.

5 hours ago, KILLABUDZ said:

Whereas in the American system, the answer to ‘How much energy does it take to boil a room-temperature gallon of water?’ is ‘Go **** yourself,’ because you can’t directly relate any of those quantities.”

And if that was not bad enough, a gallon is not a gallon. US and UK gallons are different! I suspect room temperatures are different as well and that would probably be "go bugger yourself" instead.

11 hours ago, Vampenguin said:

Cold = 0C = 32F (Get out your heavy coat)

Cool = 10C = 50F (Take a jacket or sweater)

Nice = 20C = 68F (Room temp)

Warm = 25C = 77F (T-shirt time)

Hot = 30C = 86F (A perfect day for a swim at the beach)

Very Hot = 40C = 104F (Stay in the AC)

I'm too old to start over, but this makes it a bit more translatable.

36 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

US and UK gallons are different! I suspect room temperatures are different as well and that would probably be "go bugger yourself" instead.

Yeah I know! how crazy that they made a different size but kept the same name lol.
I would have phrased it slightly diff re the room temp, its a quote.

4 hours ago, KILLABUDZ said:

Yeah I know! how crazy that they made a different size but kept the same name lol.
I would have phrased it slightly diff re the room temp, its a quote.

It's not that they made up different  sizes for the weights and measures.

The UK sent it's colony a set of measures made from precious metals and some thieving bastard shaved them down.

Oh and C all the way though I'm happy enough using K.

Still prefer Miles over Kilometers though.

50 minutes ago, Fyrel said:

Still prefer Miles over Kilometers though.

Yeah its strange sometimes. I was/am a builder (as little as possible now) and so much is imperial, car tools and stuff too, anything under half an inch I will talk in mm, then a combination of mm, inches, and feet up to a meter, then back to metric. But every actual measure was done in metric, except when building US kits for things like large automatic doors for aircraft hangers that arent made in Aus. Then you get an understanding of how several major space program accidents happened. Converting the metric used by actual scientists like the ones at NASA to goofy systems like 128ths of an inch.

6 hours ago, KILLABUDZ said:

Then you get an understanding of how several major space program accidents happened. Converting the metric used by actual scientists like the ones at NASA to goofy systems like 128ths of an inch.

Indeed. I grew up metric and the imperial and US measures are crazy! We had something about the evolution of measurements in history lessons and that was medieval history coming to life. 

Archived