Recreation Pack discussed

3 hours ago, NurdRage said:

The first thing i thought of when i saw the wind tunnel was "Can i leave it stuck ON and use it a forced air mover? Maybe turn it into a high speed gas-gas heat exchanger? Most of the fun in ONI was messing with things the way they were NOT intended.

Totally wrong, people still didn't try to find alternative usage. Here's one for your example :

compressor1.thumb.png.05336d415281739c9d1c75d2acfe87d6.png

You can use it as a gas compressor, the gas is drain from bottom and stay in the room. If you enclose the room with a waterlock the gas can be compressed, there's not limit and it doesn't affect the machine. :)

2 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Totally wrong, people still didn't try to find alternative usage. Here's one for your example :

compressor1.thumb.png.05336d415281739c9d1c75d2acfe87d6.png

You can use it as a gas compressor, the gas is drain from bottom and stay in the room. If you enclose the room with a waterlock the gas can be compressed, there's not limit and it doesn't affect the machine. :)

How did you force it to stay on without dupe interaction?

In my own feeling, I think the new content is welcome, and it is up to my choice to use it. And currently I just put 2 surfer and continue my other works. If the long use of time and long duration of effect is intended, I think they should working more on the schedule UI. It is better to have a 5 days working schedule followed with a 1 day holiday. Dupes are allowed to use the long time items during the holiday. (May be they will get a Monday mood with negative morale on the first day of working)

The current problem is the new items are not very fit to current schedule design.

Bug fix shall always be the first priority. However, if they do the bug fix at all cost to fix every single bug, then new content may never come. So, every updates released together with some bug fix is ... may be tolerable to me. (Of course I hope they can fix all bugs asap...)

Morale is and was never a problem for me and the new recreational stuff needs to much space, or the soulless conveyor creatures need to much time to use it, for my taste.
The overjoyed reactions bring some life into them, but after the 100x time sparkle streaker you realize, they still have no soul, no personality.
That new permanent big grin gfx reduces their live, even a bit more for me.

Bugfixing would be more of my interest.
That whole game is a casual micromanaging buggy lagfest.

5 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Morale is and was never a problem for me and the new recreational stuff needs to much space, or the soulless conveyor creatures need to much time to use it, for my taste....

Yah, instead of running around with 50 morale and needing 30, you can run around with 70 needing 30 but requiring more dups to make up for all that time spent on these machines.

imo the point of this update is just for the players to have fun with the new buildings. I see these buildings as endgame luxury when dupes are idling around a lot of time. 

unknown.png

Im happy to build stuff like this letting my dupes enjoy all possible morale buffs. This update might not be to everyone's liking but hey give props to the artist for the cute animation. 

Also to avoid dupes missing sleep from using wind tunnel/hot tub/beach chair put sleep block before downtime.

45 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

The gas stay in the room, it goes from bottom to center, since you have waterlock.

But yes, to aspirate the gas, you need Duplicants.

So why am i totally wrong? I found the exact issue. I couldn't get it to remain "stuck on" without duplicants.

40 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

Ok I misunderstood your point.

Gotcha.

In any case i'm really sorry for anything I've done in the past to prompt such a toxic response. I do admit i'm not the best at communication and i'm hoping to do better. 

On 12/30/2019 at 3:32 AM, Junksteel said:

The only workaround I found so far is disabling Wind Tunnel... not ideal but 

Have you tried a duplicant sensor with a filter? Set it to the number of seconds you are happy for them to use wind tunnel then turn it off for a few seconds?

criticize and say it's a waste of time I find it too exaggerated

It was certainly not what anyone wanted or expected (I wanted new methods of recreation and de-stress, but both were unexpected at one time)

there are people who are counting the days to receive a dlc, pay even more, this is overkill

the reality is one the game wasn't quite ready to say it was ready, but I believe their deadline had already broken, so they did what they believed to be acceptable, and with the game released they want and plan to do something like the DS keep filling up with updates ... to make the game cute you ask, not young youngling, but to make the game soaring, always commented always on trends to always have something to talk about the game and so always spin the wheel trade for new people to be interested in and buy the game so taking this as a view of course this dlc came up for this purpose they are rushing to try to solve the problems and create new things but during this period they have to produce something to the game doesn't die, so they do something smaller that consumes less time while they work in parallel with the big stuff, that's how it works

2 hours ago, Tytan said:

the reality is one the game wasn't quite ready to say it was ready, but I believe their deadline had already broken, so they did what they believed to be acceptable, and with the game released they want and plan to do something like the DS keep filling up with updates ... to make the game cute you ask, not young youngling, but to make the game soaring, always commented always on trends to always have something to talk about the game and so always spin the wheel trade for new people to be interested in and buy the game so taking this as a view of course this dlc came up for this purpose they are rushing to try to solve the problems and create new things but during this period they have to produce something to the game doesn't die, so they do something smaller that consumes less time while they work in parallel with the big stuff, that's how it works

exactly. all the points you make sound right.

It seems that this way of making games was common for quite some time (civilization 5, stellaris, EU4, cities skylines), which saddens me a bit because in some cases it leads to things like civilization 6 and no mans sky.

Im just hope Klei isn't going to give up on ONI.

I found absolutely no purpose in it. All the time spent making it happen, no matter how much or little it took, is therefore utterly wasted. I would prefer nothing over useless and meaningless. It's selfish, but that's how it is.

No, wait, they did fix a bug where dupes would get stuck trying to use water pumps on stacked liquids. So I guess it did have good things after all.

We have no doubt they're working on the game. Everyone here loves ONI. The question is: Are they working on new stuff and sort of not worrying about the already known issues or are they dealing with the problems while preparing new content? It's an honest reasoning and I think none can respond it with certainty. Let's hope for the best = new content plus all the fixes. I liked the update, more specially the Joy bonuses. But if they are not going to deal with the problems, I agree with others that no content would be better because of the snowball effect it brings.

Taking as guaranteed that they will face the issues at some point, there are some of them specific from this update and its content. If we ever expect things to get fixed we should at least circumsbribe the problems for them. I can point out for sure Joy Reactions (specifically Balloon Artist but maybe Sticker Bomber too) have problems in their triggering and, in my opinion, Wind Tunnel can't be in its final form. The info on the build says it needs piped gas... it doesn't. And there is this absurd time use which causes mess in the dupes schedule.

I just noticed something interesting about Joy Reactions. I'll report it here in case someone didn't know about that yet.

Overjoyed Responses are attached to specific dupes in the initial picking. For example, as far as I can see, Bubbles will always be Sticker Bomber, Devon will always be Super Productive, Harold got Balloon Artist and so on... It seems to not change. I have yet to check how they come from the printing pod once the run started. It doesn't change. I'll come up with the complete list later.

I'm not sure I like this feature as Balloon Artist and Sticker Bomber are not showing up properly. It means some duplicants are worse than others at this moment to achieve the bonuses. Meep is OP ofc, he got Sparkle Streaker. Bubbles, my previous favourite dupe, is Sticker Bomber, RIP.

The more lenghty recreation activities seem like made for a scenario where your base is fully developed, automated and self managing so the dupes have a lot of spare time and end up idling. Then you can just give them 10 squares of recreation and watch them do their tasks permanently overjoyed.

16 hours ago, Junksteel said:

I just noticed something interesting about Joy Reactions. I'll report it here in case someone didn't know about that yet.

Overjoyed Responses are attached to specific dupes in the initial picking.

Umm... yea?  It says what their joy reaction is right there on their bio when you are choosing them, along with their stress reaction.

49 minutes ago, psusi said:

Umm... yea?  It says what their joy reaction is right there on their bio when you are choosing them, along with their stress reaction.

But is it persistent? Like for example Bubbles will always have the Binge Eater stress response, so will she also have the Sticker Bomber overjoyed response?

Spoiler

Edit: After doing some testing, yeah...it's persistent.

Well I was planning on updating my Dupe Chart™, seems now is as good a time as any. :wilson_goodjob:

32 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

But is it persistent? Like for example Bubbles will always have the Binge Eater stress response, so will she also have the Sticker Bomber overjoyed response?

I mean, your bubbles will always have whatever response she was born with, but mine may have a different one.  I'm 99% sure that both the stress and joy response are randomly chosen when the printing pod offers the dupe.

56 minutes ago, psusi said:

I mean, your bubbles will always have whatever response she was born with, but mine may have a different one.  I'm 99% sure that both the stress and joy response are randomly chosen when the printing pod offers the dupe.

Nope, Stress Responses are set to specific dupes.

Bubbles will always be a binge eater, Banhi will always be destructive, and Max will always be an ugly crier.

Spoiler

Discounting that one time where they changed Banhi from ugly crier to destructive... :wilson_curious:

48 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Bubbles will always be a binge eater, Banhi will always be destructive, and Max will always be an ugly crier.

Reveal hidden contents

Discounting that one time where they changed Banhi from ugly crier to destructive... :wilson_curious:

Exactly. Same stress responses and overjoyed reactions for each dupe in any situation.

1 hour ago, watermelen671 said:

Reveal hidden contents

That's... weird.  They said in the patch notes when they added the joy responses that they were going to randomly assign them to existing colonists when you load up a save that didn't previously have them.  I guess that was a lie.

1 minute ago, psusi said:

That's... weird.  They said in the patch notes when they added the joy responses that they were going to randomly assign them to existing colonists when you load up a save that didn't previously have them.  I guess that was a lie.

Well that's different from what we're discussing. 

Old Pre-RP upgrade dupes will be given a random Joy Response, but any new colony made in the current build will have persistent joy responses for each dupe.

Archived