My item balance wishlist after 1000 hours of playing

I strongly agree that a lot of tools and features of the game are frustratingly and disappointing unbalanced to interact with in any manner, half of the suggestions sounded like something I agree on and some I don't. I just wanted to bring up the Octuvigil specifically though.

I recently learned a trick were you build an Octuvigil on a stray boat, paddle it away from the main island and jump off to let it float off on it's own. It will keep going and fill in the map for you, and if it bumps into any lunar islands you'll be able to see that. I think this is a hilariously brilliant technique. Retrieving the Octuvigil as it bounces back or around isn't even impossible either, but even if so I think the items potentially lost is a fair price to pay for saving some time from blind-sailing the ocean.

Also I get the feeling blindly sailing around is the intended "intrigue" with finding the lunar islands, what's in exploration if it's just a waypoint? However... equally true, what's in exploration if there's nothing else to bump into on the way to your intended goal? Oceans could use some more fluff. Anyway, off-topic all that. This method of basically sending out a remote scout I find it both hits the 'exploration nerve' and yet takes away the time-waste-frustration, rather well balanced.

2 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

It really doesn't matter what it was originally designed to be when you can go between them this easily now.

If you think DS isn't dead, and that the existance of SW and Hamlet are what make DS the "single player version" and DST the "multiplayer version" then why is there so much more content on DST that is actually relevant to the core world?  SW and Hamlet are derived worlds that were worked back into DS because that's what fans wanted.  They don't add anything to the core DS world.  DST adds oasis biome, dfly raid boss set piece, toadstool, bee queen, fuel weaver, lunar island, ect ect ect... all in the same game.

Look at the forums - there is DS Reign of Giants, and then another section for DS SW and DS Hamlet - note that these forums are separated by what game they are.  It isn't DS (with rog sw and hamlet) all together.

More than that - DS has been dead for a while now.  I'm kinda surprised whenever I hear anyone plays it still.  I go to Twitch.tv and I see 4 channels for DS, only one in english.  39 viewers and 162k followers of the game.  I search for DST and I see 51 channels with 189 viewers and 581k followers...

DST is the current version DS.  Solo players need to be considered when developing content.

15 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Look at the forums - there is DS Reign of Giants, and then another section for DS SW and DS Hamlet - note that these forums are separated by what game they are.  It isn't DS (with rog sw and hamlet) all together.

image.png.78a675abb44bb4a2f902e9cbce0b1298.png

15 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

More than that - DS has been dead for a while now.  I'm kinda surprised whenever I hear anyone plays it still.

Do I also have to go through all the times I've heard this for literal years? Let me just say, There's been a constant stream of people saying that at every opportunity since SW's early access ended.

2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

image.png.78a675abb44bb4a2f902e9cbce0b1298.png

Do I also have to go through all the times I've heard this for literal years? Let me just say, There's been a constant stream of people saying that at every opportunity since SW's early access ended.

While I don’t agree that DS is dead yet, I think it SHOULD be- But only because I selfishly want all of their attention only in developing more content for DST.

Why continue to add to DS when all their Money revenue comes from DST and people playing together and buying Skins? (Which DS Solo does not have)

However that is NOT why I choose to quote you- I’m Quoting this to point at that there is only two different forum sections for Don’t Starve Together & Don’t Starve Together Return of Them because ROT is still very much in BETA..

Unlike Single Player DS Which has the base game and then Two paid DLC expansion packs.

You also mention something about a flying machine which can take you from Map to map.. I believe it is this thing?? which is only available in Hamlet and is NOT available on consoles at all ATM.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Skyworthy 

That actually sounds Awesome, but it also sounds highly Impossible for DST- 

You've already Argued with me to death over the fact we simply CANT have new Biomes added into the game due to the Caves and the Ruins being combined together to keep the game from having to run 3 different shards (or whatever)

So something like this would probably cause ALL of Don’t Starve Together to Spontaneously Explode..  Which is quite sad because- I would love Shipwrecked and Hamlet compatibility in this Manor. :( 

3 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Well if you don't consider having only 4 twitch streams a dead game, how about the forum use?  The DS forums for each game have had only a few posts from this month.  The DST forums front page is nearly all within the last 24 hours...  DS is not a buzzing hub of activity, meanwhile DST is quite popular.  This isn't because so few people play solo, its because everyone is playing DST whether solo or not.

When was the last patch for DS adding new content anyway?

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Hammer

I mean sure, it would make you have to apply that extra effort to cut like 4-6 (with/out shovel) and actually craft cutstone then raid the pigs for the materials, but the hammer isn't something that needs to be a alchemy engine tier tool. The hammer is a classic tool that allows you to start shaping the world, and it would feel odd for you to need to make 2nd tier science for it. I wpuld just suggest to change it to science machine if you really want it to be tied to progression, but there isn't really many uses for it before you you get to the later part of the game.

Football Helmet

The football helm is fine as it is. Pig skin isn't hard to get but it still a hassle, esspecially for new players, so the effort can equal out with the equipment. There is also the fact that pig farms take time if you use it everytime they respawn, and risk the 25% drop rate biting you in the ass, or use it every full moon for full gains, but that also every 20 days. You could use both for the best results but that also requires you need to back to your base every 4 days. Other armor is still very useful (except for the grass suit as anything but desperation armor) as theu allow you to use something else on your head. Using a miners hat and log suit to fight is lot easier then using a lantern and football helmet.  It also helps during winter and summer as it allows you to use clothing (discussed later) without sacrificing armor. Depending on the character, it might even be preferable to make compared to football helmet.  Woodie and Maxwell can easily amass a lot of logs which can easily be used to make log suits and make other things. They also work well with log suits since they both drain slower whem worn together. This can make the armor last longer then it would alone. The Football Helmet is a nice equipment item, but it isn't surpassing other armors (besides, again, the sad, sad grass suit).

Sewing Kits

This is a thermal stone problem not a sewing kit problem.

Thermal Stone

So a thermal stone can allow you to survive winter and summer, clothing makes that time a whole lot easier. The winter and summer gear are designed to make it so that you lose/gain tempature slower and so makes things like pit stops for lighting trees on fire and endothermic fires lot less commen. It also works really well with the rhermal stone since it loses/gains ita tempeture slower with you. It makes the game slightly easier and allows you to be much more efficent since you spend less time heating up/cooling down. The thermal stone is the bare minimum and I would rather spend more time with a Beefalo Hat or Eyebrella to keep me warm/cold then barely scrap by with just a Thermal Stone.  There is also the tip that carrying around gold and hammer with a fridge precrafted/having a snow cheater around allows you to constantly swap between 2 thermal stones and never even touch a endothermic campfire. 

Umbrella and Straw Hat combination

Okay, so there is this thing called a Eyebrella that it better then both of these things combined. It provides 240 "cold insulation" which is more then both the straw hat and umbrella combined, provides 100% wetness resistence, and provides lightning resistence. It also frees up your hand slot for more cane/tool action. This thing is really powerful and you get it really early on, and the umbrella and straw hat is much less preferable in any situation where you have access to a deerclops eyeball/eyebrella and don't have to share. Straw hat/Umbrella is also less preferable for new players as the pig skin requires you to have a more aggressive playstyle whoch new players don't have.

Mini Tl;dr: Use a Eyebrella instead unless you are playing with other people, them you should ask the other people if you can use it. If not then use umbrella/strawhat as a last resort.

3 Ice + any Random Meat source = MEATBALLS.

Again, this is bottom acraping effort. You can survive with this but you will be hard pressed to find a dish that is overall worse then meatballs. You can easily mass produce them but the quality of them is a whole lot worse thwn others. Bacon and Eggs maybe slightly more expensive, but they are better is literally every single aspect when compared to meatballs. Meatballs are the McDonalds of Don't Starve, easy to reproduce and can easily do in a punch but there is a whole slew of options that are better.

Anything combined with 3 Ice should always probably result in Wet Goop.

I mean frozen balls of meat are still Meatballs, a single berry of ice is can sill be a fistful of jam, a single muchroom garnishing ice could be considered salad,  you just need to broaden you mindset. In seriousness, the dishes that allow you 3 ice aren't usually the best.

In total, I think that you need to increase your minimum required effort and try a little harder to massively increase your efficentcy. Expand your mindset and see how different items interact with eachother and try to expand your quality of survival, rather then scrapping rock bottom.

Tl;dr: I recommend you to expand your mind set and improve your quality of survival by not doing the bare minimum for survival.

33 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

When was the last patch for DS adding new content anyway?

It was like before summer or to the middle of summer.

While this wasn't a definite sign, I do think DS has run its course. I would like if the devs did a few more bug updates like fixing the aporkalpse figjt music or the volcano telportato bug but I think in terms of major content, DS has run its course.

7 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

I mean sure, it would make you have to apply that extra effort to cut like 4-6 (with/out shovel) and actually craft cutstone then raid the pigs for the materials, but the hammer isn't something that needs to be a alchemy engine tier tool. The hammer is a classic tool that allows you to start shaping the world, and it would feel odd for you to need to make 2nd tier science for it. I wpuld just suggest to change it to science machine if you really want it to be tied to progression, but there isn't really many uses for it before you you get to the later part of the game.

The football helm is fine as it is. Pig skin isn't hard to get but it still a hassle, esspecially for new players, so the effort can equal out with the equipment. There is also the fact that pig farms take time if you use it everytime they respawn, and risk the 25% drop rate biting you in the ass, or use it every full moon for full gains, but that also every 20 days. You could use both for the best results but that also requires you need to back to your base every 4 days. Other armor is still very useful (except for the grass suit as anything but desperation armor) as theu allow you to use something else on your head. Using a miners hat and log suit to fight is lot easier then using a lantern and football helmet.  It also helps during winter and summer as it allows you to use clothing (discussed later) without sacrificing armor. Depending on the character, it might even be preferable to make compared to football helmet.  Woodie and Maxwell can easily amass a lot of logs which can easily be used to make log suits and make other things. They also work well with log suits since they both drain slower whem worn together. This can make the armor last longer then it would alone. The Football Helmet is a nice equipment item, but it isn't surpassing other armors (besides, again, the sad, sad grass suit).

This is a thermal stone problem not a sewing kit problem.

So a thermal stone can allow you to survive winter and summer, clothing makes that time a whole lot easier. The winter and summer gear are designed to make it so that you lose/gain tempature slower and so makes things like pit stops for lighting trees on fire and endothermic fires lot less commen. It also works really well with the rhermal stone since it loses/gains ita tempeture slower with you. It makes the game slightly easier and allows you to be much more efficent since you spend less time heating up/cooling down. The thermal stone is the bare minimum and I would rather spend more time with a Beefalo Hat or Eyebrella to keep me warm/cold then barely scrap by with just a Thermal Stone.  There is also the tip that carrying around gold and hammer with a fridge precrafted/having a snow cheater around allows you to constantly swap between 2 thermal stones and never even touch a endothermic campfire. 

Okay, so there is this thing called a Eyebrella that it better then both of these things combined. It provides 240 "cold insulation" which is more then both the straw hat and umbrella combined, provides 100% wetness resistence, and provides lightning resistence. It also frees up your hand slot for more cane/tool action. This thing is really powerful and you get it really early on, and the umbrella and straw hat is much less preferable in any situation where you have access to a deerclops eyeball/eyebrella and don't have to share. Straw hat/Umbrella is also less preferable for new players as the pig skin requires you to have a more aggressive playstyle whoch new players don't have.

Mini Tl;dr: Use a Eyebrella instead unless you are playing with other people, them you should ask the other people if you can use it. If not then use umbrella/strawhat as a last resort.

Again, this is bottom acraping effort. You can survive with this but you will be hard pressed to find a dish that is overall worse then meatballs. You can easily mass produce them but the quality of them is a whole lot worse thwn others. Bacon and Eggs maybe slightly more expensive, but they are better is literally every single aspect when compared to meatballs. Meatballs are the McDonalds of Don't Starve, easy to reproduce and can easily do in a punch but there is a whole slew of options that are better.

I mean frozen balls of meat are still Meatballs, a single berry of ice is can sill be a fistful of jam, a single muchroom garnishing ice could be considered salad,  you just need to broaden you mindset. In seriousness, the dishes that allow you 3 ice aren't usually the best.

In total, I think that you need to increase your minimum required effort and try a little harder to massively increase your efficentcy. Expand your mindset and see how different items interact with eachother and try to expand your quality of survival, rather then scrapping rock bottom.

Tl;dr: I recommend you to expand your mind set and improve your quality of survival by not doing the bare minimum for survival.

It was like before summer or to the middle of summer.

While this wasn't a definite sign, I do think DS has run its course. I would like if the devs did a few more bug updates like fixing the aporkalpse figjt music or the volcano telportato bug but I think in terms of major content, DS has run its course.

Dude your missing my point- I play brutally hardcore games that punish you for making even the slightest little mistake.. so the fact that I CAN get by using the bare Minimum of Survival tools slightly upsets me.

Why ever craft a Rain Hat when the Straw Hat and Umbrella combo do just fine?

Why do I Need Tier 3 Winter Clothing from Koelaphant Trunks if I can make it through the ENTIRETY of Winter Without ever needing them?!

I had posted a suggestion that fixes this awhile back ago that solved this problem but my Idea did not seem to gather as much attention as I would’ve hoped, you can find that Here: 

The TL:DR Using only content that already exists in the game.. I broke apart each Biome into its own Island, giving us a REASON to want to build a boat and sail to these Areas, But I also provided use for Tier 3 Winter Clothing, And Rain Clothing Items in that same process by turning the Islands into a 24/7 Season.

The Ice Biome would be like a Frozen Tundra new Gameplay Mechanics of sliding acrossed It’s slippery Surface and frequent Intense Blizzards that would otherwise kill you if you tried to live with just a Thermal Stone and Campfires.

The Rainforest would have 24/7 Rainfall for the irony of it being called a RAIN Forest.

And the Volcanic Biome would be 24/7 Summer Overheating but cranked up to 11.

21 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why ever craft a Rain Hat when the Straw Hat and Umbrella combo do just fine?

Straw Hat + Umbrella combo takes 2 slots, Rain Hat takes just a single one. All I need to do is to find a Tree and dry up below it once my wetness reaches 30 (100 wetness without protection), but being able to use a Walking Cane or other tools while keeping your 70% rain protection saves more time than using an Umbrella non-stop.

So why ever craft an Umbrella if a Rain Hat does just fine?

31 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Straw Hat + Umbrella combo takes 2 slots, Rain Hat takes just a single one. All I need to do is to find a Tree and dry up below it once my wetness reaches 30 (100 wetness without protection), but being able to use a Walking Cane or other tools while keeping your 70% rain protection saves more time than using an Umbrella non-stop.

So why ever craft an Umbrella if a Rain Hat does just fine?

Mostly because as I’ve said before- I can get by just fine through both Spring and Summer with just Straw Hats and Umbrellas.

this is due to Two reasons actually- 1-Seasons not being long enough or Harsh enough to actually NEED anything more than that.. And 2- On Consoles its as simple as clicking left on my D-Pad to Swap Between a Umbrella & Another Item in my hand slot So for me it’s not even a THAT much of a Hassle, 

Hell on games like State of Decay and The Division you have to actually pause the game, enter your inventory, pick an item and then drag it into the inventory slot you want it in all while of course- being shot in the face or chased by zombies..

So simply pressing Left on the Dpad to quickly hot swap between two different tools just comes as something Natural & super easy for me.

but my point was this- that we need Island Biomes where it’s Winter 24/7 Where you couldn’t just Simply get by with a Beefalo Hat and a heated up Thermal Stone, you would actually NEED all of that PLUS those Winter Jackets, because cold Blizzard winds would blow out your Campfires.

A Intense Volcanic Biome where you’d need to craft special new Heat resistant clothing items to avoid even being burned alive.. 

They don’t have to change the way the game currently plays At all- they can simply add to it and to throw in some additional new Island Biomes that makes you HAVE to craft for example Winter Vests as something you simply can’t stay on that particular type of island without.

This would give boats more of a use then simply going to Lunar Island and then back to the mainland, and it would give players a real survival reason to need to craft any of the higher tier clothing items if they expect to explore the other islands..

Why would you want to explore each island Biome?? Well.. that would be entirely up to whatever Klei wanted to do with them, but I would have each Island have a part to some contraption such as (Solo DS’s The Wooden Thing) That requires you to quest to all these different Areas and locate all the different parts & then bring them all back to a specific location to build a gateway (See DS Adventures Mode as reference)

This thread was about explaining the importance (or the lack thereof rather) of certain items, and what the OP felt needed to be changed and tweaked- My Suggestion is Simply not to change or Tweak ANYTHING but to instead- Add new content into the game that DEMANDS the use of Them.

27 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

this is due to Two reasons actually- 1-Seasons not being long enough or Harsh enough to actually NEED anything more than that.

By your logic you don't even "NEED" a straw hat and a umbrella. Just be insane and burn a tree to get rid of freezing. But leaving a slot free gives you less clicks or buttons presses during your gameplay or less time wasted walking because walking cane.

Items are about being time efficient, anyone who has knowledge of the game can survive the entire year with just grass and twigs for torches and a food source, will he accomplish much? Probably not, that's why we craft better items, to be able to be more efficient with the time. Have fun clearing ruins with both your hand and headgear occupied with stuff that doesn't give any defense or light on a controller compared to someone who is using more efficient items for that task.

Last but not least, why waste an item slot? Those are precious (specially on public as Warly), you can only have so much item slots even with backpacks, so take care of those, if you can get rid of an item wasting space in your inventory just do it. But, I guess efficiency isn't a vocabulary console players knows about. Oh, oops.

15 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

this is due to Two reasons actually- 1-Seasons not being long enough or Harsh enough to actually NEED anything more than that.. And 2- On Consoles its as simple as clicking left on my D-Pad to Swap Between a Umbrella & Another Item in my hand slot So for me it’s not even a THAT much of a Hassle, 

Hell on games like State of Decay and The Division you have to actually pause the game, enter your inventory, pick an item and then drag it into the inventory slot you want it in all while of course- being shot in the face or chased by zombies..

So simply pressing Left on the Dpad to quickly hot swap between two different tools just comes as something Natural & super easy for me.

involvement.thumb.jpeg.5919161c8f94049670c4a57e7efb6d84.jpeg

I suggest changing the world settings.  Try setting starting season to random, and doing very short for autumn, very long for the rest.  Up the ante with lightning, rain, disease, meteor fields and meteor frequency, hound attacks, hunting surprises and treeguards to lots, then set grass, twig, flint, berry bush, carrots, and mushrooms, pigs, catcoons, and beefalos to less.  Set mini glaciers, tumbleweeds, failed survivors, touch stones, and pengulls to none.

Make sure you set these in forest and caves settings.

40 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

involvement.thumb.jpeg.5919161c8f94049670c4a57e7efb6d84.jpeg

I suggest changing the world settings.  Try setting starting season to random, and doing very short for autumn, very long for the rest.  Up the ante with lightning, rain, disease, meteor fields and meteor frequency, hound attacks, hunting surprises and treeguards to lots, then set grass, twig, flint, berry bush, carrots, and mushrooms, pigs, catcoons, and beefalos to less.  Set mini glaciers, tumbleweeds, failed survivors, touch stones, and pengulls to none.

Make sure you set these in forest and caves settings.

I actually have a world where days are set to very long, and nights are set to super short- which is great for every season except Summer.. I love it, 3 Seasons of the easy going, and then Summer... welcome to a blazing inferno of hell on Earth.

Willow Would love it here.

On 30/12/2019 at 6:27 AM, Shosuko said:

If you think DS isn't dead, and that the existance of SW and Hamlet are what make DS the "single player version" and DST the "multiplayer version" then why is there so much more content on DST that is actually relevant to the core world?  SW and Hamlet are derived worlds that were worked back into DS because that's what fans wanted.  They don't add anything to the core DS world.  DST adds oasis biome, dfly raid boss set piece, toadstool, bee queen, fuel weaver, lunar island, ect ect ect... all in the same game.

More than that - DS has been dead for a while now.  I'm kinda surprised whenever I hear anyone plays it still.  I go to Twitch.tv and I see 4 channels for DS, only one in english.  39 viewers and 162k followers of the game.  I search for DST and I see 51 channels with 189 viewers and 581k followers...

DST is the current version DS.  Solo players need to be considered when developing content.

i still playing ROG, has a lot of different stuff and mechanics and what the hell do you want for a game that was released years ago, content for free? for a cheap old game? 

14 minutes ago, thetricker1 said:

i still playing ROG, has a lot of different stuff and mechanics and what the hell do you want for a game that was released years ago, content for free? for a cheap old game? 

Isn’t that what they’re doing though? content for free in the form of these Return of Them Updates and Character Refreshes. 

They are hoping to make profit off people buying dlc characters and item skins, and therefore all world content is free to avoid separating their player base between who does & Does not own DLC expansions.

But the more the update and add to DST the more attention the game will get, drawing in more players which hopefully brings them more money so We the players can continue to get more free awesome content updates.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:29 AM, Mike23Ua said:

However that is NOT why I choose to quote you- I’m Quoting this to point at that there is only two different forum sections for Don’t Starve Together & Don’t Starve Together Return of Them because ROT is still very much in BETA..

But compare these clearly marked alpha, beta, and early access forums:
image.png.b556644af8fd7d4291bab55bfda71aee.pngimage.png.ccdfb8166a4db439c394c181727b60f0.png
image.png.ddd43906453d21423bbe6056eeacbdd2.png
image.png.dd42d296ac3ab3303a47a2a15b3d947f.png
To the Return of Them forums, simply marked "Return of Them":
image.png.1602aceae98bc68e757ce278713d4525.png

6 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

But compare these clearly marked alpha, beta, and early access forums:
image.png.b556644af8fd7d4291bab55bfda71aee.pngimage.png.ccdfb8166a4db439c394c181727b60f0.png
image.png.ddd43906453d21423bbe6056eeacbdd2.png
image.png.dd42d296ac3ab3303a47a2a15b3d947f.png
To the Return of Them forums, simply marked "Return of Them":
image.png.1602aceae98bc68e757ce278713d4525.png

Return of them is content that is added into the core game, there isn’t any dlc expansions you have to pay for download and install to play RoT content- Therefore RoT content is now officially part of the Vanilla gameplay experience of DST.

It is Only categorized as its own thing because as I said- it’s still in Beta. Once all of the Return of Them Content is completed and added into the game there really is no further reason to have two different sections of the forums because DST General Discussion would also include Return of Them which is- DST Core Gameplay Content.

Shipwrecked and Hamlet are Paid DLC Expansions, There’s a Difference but I really can’t explain it without sounding confusing to you.

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Isn’t that what they’re doing though? content for free in the form of these Return of Them Updates and Character Refreshes. 

They are hoping to make profit off people buying dlc characters and item skins, and therefore all world content is free to avoid separating their player base between who does & Does not own DLC expansions.

But the more the update and add to DST the more attention the game will get, drawing in more players which hopefully brings them more money so We the players can continue to get more free awesome content updates.

??? im talking about RoG

2 hours ago, thetricker1 said:

What do I expect from a game released years ago?  A game for which no new content is being generated?  A game that won't get new updates or balance patches because its... an old game which already has a successor on the market which does receive patches and new content?

For the players to realize its a dead game.  I like to play retro games, but I'm willing to admit Mario Bros isn't the "current version" just because some people still compete over speed runs...  Its not saying Mario 1 is a bad game, but lets not kid ourselves.  Mario 1 is a dead game.  So is DS.

If you think it isn't ask yourself this:  Is DS going to get Bee Queen, Shadow Pieces, Fuel Weaver, Toadstool, boats, or the lunar biome?  No.  Because DS is dead and DST is the current version of Don't Starve.  That is where all new content is being generated.

And the entire reason I'm sticking with this argument is 1 simple thing:  Just because DST has multiplayer doesn't mean it is only the multiplayer version and that solo players should still be in DS where none of this new content is being added.

People need to recognize that while they may play multiplayer others play solo, and having content that requires multiplayer can be a pretty big downer for their game.  AntLion is a great example of the solo player let down.  We can't avoid this boss.  We either get annoying sinkholes, (sometimes useful but mostly) annoying cave ins, give tribute to the thing every few days, or fight it and get a recipe for an item a solo player can literally never use.

Mods aren't a good answer because console players can't use them.  Neither is taking the AntLion out of worldgen because that doesn't answer to the problem which is whether MORE multiplayer-required content is added.  No, it should not.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

What do I expect from a game released years ago?  A game for which no new content is being generated?  A game that won't get new updates or balance patches because its... an old game which already has a successor on the market which does receive patches and new content?

For the players to realize its a dead game.  I like to play retro games, but I'm willing to admit Mario Bros isn't the "current version" just because some people still compete over speed runs...  Its not saying Mario 1 is a bad game, but lets not kid ourselves.  Mario 1 is a dead game.  So is DS.

If you think it isn't ask yourself this:  Is DS going to get Bee Queen, Shadow Pieces, Fuel Weaver, Toadstool, boats, or the lunar biome?  No.  Because DS is dead and DST is the current version of Don't Starve.  That is where all new content is being generated.

And the entire reason I'm sticking with this argument is 1 simple thing:  Just because DST has multiplayer doesn't mean it is only the multiplayer version and that solo players should still be in DS where none of this new content is being added.

People need to recognize that while they may play multiplayer others play solo, and having content that requires multiplayer can be a pretty big downer for their game.  AntLion is a great example of the solo player let down.  We can't avoid this boss.  We either get annoying sinkholes, (sometimes useful but mostly) annoying cave ins, give tribute to the thing every few days, or fight it and get a recipe for an item a solo player can literally never use.

Mods aren't a good answer because console players can't use them.  Neither is taking the AntLion out of worldgen because that doesn't answer to the problem which is whether MORE multiplayer-required content is added.  No, it should not.

What do you consider a dead game?

DS got a huge update in the form of the Hamlet DLC last year. Bee Queen, Fuel Weaver, etc. are old content compared to that. 

I alternate between the two games, getting tired of one and switching to the other. I like the RoT update, and I’m soloing DST now because it’s fresh, but TBH, this update is nothing compared to Hamlet. I expect I’ll be playing DS again soon because I still haven’t done everything I’d like to try in it. Currently, it’s pretty easily to max out on DST unless there’s a new event because there’s only one new turf/ biome. Also, it’s DLCs make DS aesthetically superior to DST. Because it remains kind of stuck in the Constant, DST is always going to look a bit tired compared to Hamlet and SW. Piling on more bosses will not change that. I would love to see more DS DLCs. For better or worse it’s much easier to get a whole new world to play in with DS. It doesn’t need any of the DST bosses when it has that. Adding Bee Queen or Fuel Weaver to DS would just be boring.

That said, I have little choice but to play DST solo, as well, so I appreciate the argument. Fortunately, I’m not stuck with a hobbled console and can use mods, but DST should support a solo setting. And, for that matter, consoles should permit mods.

tbh i think OP has very good points and I don't get all this flare cuz OP was a bit sarcastic at the end. 

We all know that some items need a bit of love and bashing someone that took a lot of time trying to analyze some underused items is a bit undeserved. It's just an opinion and we all have our own. OP has the right to express his points and I agree with some of the ideas. If you disagree just point out the things you find different in your experience in a precise and non condescending way. I've learned the hard way that being an ass proving a point doesn't take you anywhere.

Archived