My item balance wishlist after 1000 hours of playing

The developers seem quite fine with not altering existing content at all besides the character reworks, which is unfortunate because there's at least two Return of Them updates worth of content in this game that nobody uses because it's just not worth it.

So after a thousand hours of playing I feel like posting this regardless.

Also, with in regards to underpowered content, the "I used this thing one time in a very specific situation and have never used it since or for anything else but because I used it once that makes it balanced this game is perfect stop complaining" argument is a fallacy. While it is true that some content is situational by design, most of the content in this game is blatantly not designed to be situational it's simply so bad you never would use it unless you had literally nothing else.

Here goes,

Blow Darts - Crafting them should produce three of said blow dart instead of one. A single blow dart is equal to only two hits from a medium to high tier weapon, blow darts simple aren't powerful enough to be worth crafting in their current state. Sleep darts should put enemies to sleep much easier since the sleep mechanic is situational enough as is, if it was easier to trigger at least it would be more appealing to use for strategic purposes. Fire darts should deal more base damage than regular darts, since using fire is generally disadvantageous so players should be rewarded for taking the risk of burning everything down by dealing more damage with them. Electric dart base damage should at least be the same as regular dart. Damage modifiers from things like character perks shouldn't apply to them.

Breezy Vest - It takes comparable effort to craft a breezy vest than a winter hat yet the breezy vest is half as good and takes up a more important equipment slot. It should at least have the same warmth value as a winter hat if not slightly more.

Rabbit Earmuffs - Although being relatively easy to craft they are so bad there's basically no reason to even bother, they provide so little warmth that even if you're desperate they still give you little to no actual benefit. There's really not much you can do to balance them that wouldn't disrupt the status quo with the winter hat, so I would suggest giving them a different benefit entirely such as a small speed boost or causing rabbits to no longer run away from the player.

Tam 'O' Shanter - Is too strong. It basically gives the player immunity to most forms of sanity drain yet is relatively easy to acquire and mass produce even. Plus it's only really unusable during the summer so that's three quarters of the year that players can essentially be part Maxwell. Reducing its sanity regeneration to be decent but not more than items that provide no other benefits than sanity regeneration would make it less predominate.

Tentacle Spike - If the player knows how to kite tentacles, or lures powerful enemies into fighting them, the player can easily mass produce this. Yet after all the tentacles are gone it then becomes an obscurity that can only be found from tentapillars. Reducing the drop rate but having surface tentacles respawn during the summer would better balance their availability versus renewability.

Ham Bat - Deals comparable damage to other mid and high tier weapons yet is generally easier to acquire and potentially lasts longer if used aggressively. The damage should be lowered to match how easy it is to craft and use.

Bat Bat - Although the health regeneration is nice players can mass produce healing items and comparable or stronger weapons much easily. Reduce the material cost so that it's actually worth crafting, and reduce the amount of sanity it drains so it's less punishing to even use.

Tail 'O' Three Cats - Very tedious to craft, its de-aggravation ability potentially interferes with kiting, and it deals terrible damage. Reduce the amount of tentacle spots it requires, reduce its durability to only a dozen or so uses, and instead cause it to forcibly pacify any mob hit by it. The pacified mob won't be able to attack anything for a brief period time so the player can switch to another weapon and attack it while it's vulnerable. Allowing the weapon to be used as a unique combat advantage to disable enemies so that they can't defend themselves.

Cat Cap - Harder to make than a winter hat yet worse to use. The cat cap should instead provide more warmth than a winter hat, but less than a beefalo hat still.

Rain Hat - Should provide at least eighty or ninety percent wetness resistance and helmets shouldn't provide any. When combined with an umbrella it's currently easier to craft a helmet, which has nothing to do with protecting against water, than an actual hat designed to protect against water.

Moggles - Provide only a moderately larger sight radius than a lantern yet are harder to craft and much harder to fuel, generally only being useful for exploring the ruins as the extra sight is effective for seeing dangerous in the distance. Moggles should either last significantly longer or gain significantly more durability from glow berries to compete with the easier to use and maintain light sources in the game.

Night Armour - Increase its durability, or decrease its material cost, and decrease its sanity drain to make it more appealing compared to other much easier to make armours with comparable protection.

Thulecite Crown, Suit, Club, Pick/Axe - Significantly increase all of their durability to match how difficult they are to craft. Additionally the Pick/Axe should be even more effective than just a twenty percent bonus.

Scalemail - Lower than average protection, costly to craft and is a fire hazard. Remove the fire hazard entirely and give it 95% damage reduction along with comparable if not more durability than thulecite. If players are going to fight a boss just to give a single piece of armour it should at least be useful for taking on other bosses.

Scaled Flooring - Should provide smoldering immunity to all structures on it. Avoiding smoldering is already so simple as making a flingo, if players are going to fight a boss just to get some floor it should at least be an upgrade from using a flingo.

Flooring in General - Plants should only be able to be planted on the appropriate flooring, for example trees shouldn't be plantable on solid rock or desert ground it makes absolutely no sense. Currently the flooring system is entirely cosmetic, if players had to transplant flooring to be able to plant certain things in certain places it would add more depth to the game and make flooring actually meaningful.

Artificial Flooring - Player made flooring like wooden, carpet and checkered should provide a slight speed boost to give players a practical reason to craft and place them beyond cosmetics

Snelmet , Snurtle Shell Armor - Although both are powerful pieces of equipment their mere rarity makes them generally not worth acquiring, The drop rate of the shelmet should be significantly increased considering how long it takes to even kill slurtles, and the appearance rate of snurtles should be increased. Furthermore slurtles shouldn't be able to immediately hit players when they spawn after their nest is hit.

Belt of Hunger - Food is so relatively easy to produce that having an equipment item to reduce hunger is redundant. Significantly reduce its durability and cause it to increase the overall effectiveness of eaten food would make it a much more interesting advantage.

Straw Hat - Needs to provide more wetness resistance to give players more ways to resist wetness if helmets aren't going to provide any.

Night Light - Impressively awful, requires a decent amount of resources to craft and is just not worth using in general versus a fire pit. Giving the night light the ability to produce the opposite temperature of the current season, reducing its sanity degeneration and making its fire last longer would make it much more of an actual upgrade to the existing two firepits.

Pumpkin Lantern - Should at least last much longer in general and have a slightly bigger light radius. It could have unique potential but it's so obscure to craft and hardly lasts any time that it's not worth bothering with.

Top Hat - Considering that it provides no other benefits than sanity it aught to provide more sanity than a tam o shanter, which does have alternate benefits beyond its sanity regeneration.

Basic Farm and Improved Farm - Rename them to something else and give them the same growth rate but different benefits. There's essentially zero reason to craft a basic farm when it's not much harder to craft an improved one. If they had the same effectiveness but different quirks then there'd be more reason for two to even exist.

Morning Star - Considering the rarity of acquiring goat horns, and with Warly it's far better to make the jelly, the Morning Star should be stronger and last much longer to be worth using in comparison to how awkward it is to craft.

Boomerang - Beyond farming birds there's essentially no reason to use it at all. Giving it more damage and perhaps the ability to briefly knockout enemies (sleeping animation) but not fully put them to sleep like a dart or flute would may give the boomerang more appeal.

Monster Meat - Should automatically turn any meal it's cooked with into monster lasagna. If birds are fed it they should produce a bad egg, or take damage so that they can only be fed a certain amount of monster meat every while or they'll die. The game is absolutely filled with numerous sources of healthy meat and there's little reason to bother with most of them when it's easier to just use monster meat. Yes higher tier food sources require healthy meat but you don't need them, and you can find other ways to regenerate health and sanity while sustaining your hunger perpetually with meat balls. If monster meat was actually punishing to use at least players would be forced to find more diverse and less effortless ways to substitute for meat in the crockpot.

Ice - If more than one piece of ice is used in the crockpot the meal should turn to wet goop. Ice can be easily mass acquired and infinitely preserved in the icebox thus defeating the point of winter being a harsh season and providing a bountiful amount of on demand filler for the next season or longer. If ice couldn't be used as an exclusive substitute for generic filler players would be forced to find more diverse and interesting ways of survival than subsisting off frozen water.

Dapper Vest - Should provide more sanity regeneration.

Feather Hat - Generally no point to use it since birds already spawn decently frequently, if it had less durability but caused birds to not longer fly away from the player that may give it more of a unique advantage.

Ice Cube - Significantly easier methods of staying cool already exist, if it at least provided complete immunity to overheating but didn't last as long that could make it more appealing to some degree as an alternative to the chilled amulet.

Fashion Mellon - Also too obscure to use versus current methods of staying cool, increase its overheating protection.

Backpacks - The meta. So many body based pieces of clothing in this game exist but they're mostly all not worth bothering as hats can generally protect you decent enough from temperatures, and important body pieces like armor can just be swapped to on the go. Decrease the amount of slots on the basic backpack, and cause players movement speed to be slowed down slightly for each unique item in their backpacks. Remove the speed reduction on the piggy back. Have the higher tier backpacks penalize the player subsequently less each tier, piggyback to insulated pack to krampus sack. 

Straw Roll and Fur Roll - Keeping a tent is so much easier and more effective that both of these aren't worth using. Make the straw roll cost more resources but have the same benefits as a tent, so that it becomes basically a portable tent, and make the fur roll last longer or be more effective.

Siesta Lean-to - Whatever role it's supposed to serve it really just doesn't, instead it could be a lower tier tent that costs cheaper resources to make but has less uses.

Rain-o-Meter / Thermal Measurer - Perhaps players could gain a sanity bonus when examining them each day. The better the climate and weather forecast is the more sanity they gain from looking at them.

Grass Suit - Decrease the grass cost by like half. It's meant to be a junk item but at the same time if it cost less at least it would be more appealing to make in an emergency as a disposable piece of armour.

One-man Band - Generally increase its effectiveness and reduce its sanity reduction to make it more useful for mass recruiting followers, and allow it to buff followers as well so that it's more useful as a support tool.

Ocuvigil - Make it tell the player which direction the lunar island it is, so that it becomes a valuable progression tool to make it easier to find the island.

Fire / Ice Staff - Have both deal an average amount of base damage to the enemy struck by them so that they actually are decent ranged weapons instead of near pointless niche things. Specifically have the fire staff deal more damage since it's more of a risk to use.

The Lazy Deserter - Pointlessly punishes solo players, should be usable solo but at a significant sanity cost

Telelocator Staff / Telelocator Focus - Generally cost too many purple gems to be worth using much unless the player has accrued a lot of them from long term boss and ruins farming. If they cost less purple gems in general, and if one purple gem was enough to fuel the focus for one use, it would be more appealing to use without needing an absurd stash of purple gems.

Walls - While being a great idea in concept they're almost useless for defense due to little durability they have, if their durability was significantly increased they at least might have some more value than being used as pens and to provide the illusion of safety. Additionally it should be possible to place walls on tiles adjacent to the ocean / abyss.

Bee Mine - Not worth using between the cost of creating it and the general lack of threat bees provide, also is one use. If the mine dealt damage on activation, significantly more damage than a tooth trap, and cost stingers instead of bees it could be useful as a higher tier single use trap. Currently the only purpose it has is forcibly aggravating bees onto mobs, which can already be done in a variety of other ways and there isn't much point to it anyway.

Napsack - Pointless. If it put enemies to sleep significantly longer and the sleep is so deep they don't even wake up when attacked that might make it at least more useful.

Whirly Fan - Although being cheap to make it does so little it's not worth bothering. If it provided a more significant temperature reduction that may make it more desirable.

Pretty Parasol - Also easy to make but not worth using, if it was slightly more affective and lasted much longer then maybe.

Weather Pain - Increase its damage or durability to make it more useful for fighting as a ranged weapon than just two specific bosses.

End Table - Increase the sanity gained from putting a flower in the pot so it actually has some value as a sanity management tool.

Luxury Fan - Increase its uses to compete with easier to craft methods of staying cool primarily the chilled amulet. Allowing the luxury fan to provide a speed boost to your boat if used in proximity would also give it more purpose.

Honey Poultice - Increase its healing, as it's easier to make food that heals a comparable amount.

Bee Queen Crown - Give it more defense, durability so that it can actually be used as a piece of armour. Additionally allowing it to be repaired, or giving it the ability to slowly mend itself overtime, would make it more useful outside of just being a sanity station type item. Considering this is a drop from one of the strongest enemies in the game.

Hibernation Vest - Give it more warmth and at least comparable durability to a puffy vest, considering it's a boss item and it takes up a valuable slot.

All of the obscure crockpot recipes - There's a lot of crockpot recipes in general that are so awkward to create yet provide comparable or even worse benefits than things that are easier to make. It really should be the opposite of that.

So this is at least 80%+ of the items in the game and a majority of them I legitimately never use since there's either something better that isn't on this list, it is on the list and I'm suggesting it be nerfed, or it's something so situational that there's no point in using it most of the time. It's really tragic honestly how much content in this game is just not worth touching.

And considering what I've seen elsewhere even though all the underpowered items on this list are pretty much never used, and after a thousand hours of playing I've both seen this in other servers and in my own, and all the overpowered items are almost exclusively what people do use, again from my own experience after a thousand hours; there's still going to be people who are like GAME IS BALANCED SO PERFECT EVERYTHING USEFUL STOP WHINING I USED THIS THING ONE TIME THREE YEARS AGO SO IT'S TOTALLY USEFUL.

Yeah imagine how much more interesting the game would be if the meta didn't consist of there only being one or two useful items per general concept, while multiple other options exist but the developers have just never bothered to balance it properly. So the progression of every server is generally just the exact same thing over and over again since all the alternative playstyle options are objectively worse and thus only used when you don't know any better or when you have nothing else.

10 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

again from my own experience after a thousand hours; there's still going to be people who are like GAME IS BALANCED SO PERFECT EVERYTHING USEFUL STOP WHINING I USED THIS THING ONE TIME THREE YEARS AGO SO IT'S TOTALLY USEFUL.

Extremely mature way to show that you're correct: making fun of an exaggerated version of an argument nobody else has even made yet. Also I don't get why you keep mentioning your hours, it's possible for someone to play thousands of hours without learning much about the game, and it's possible for someone to speed through the main goals in less than a thousand hours, I've seen many examples of both.

Anyway, I do agree with a couple of these (like darts or the rain hat), but other than that I really do think you're either not getting creative enough with how you farm/use certain items, or you're calling items useless because you aren't satisfied with their use (top hat is early game sanity source + a crafting ingredient, end tables are meant for decor, whirly fan is for joining servers in summer, ice staff is cheap for gaining aggro and various bird-related things, etc). If I'm being honest, I think you're approaching the game in general with the wrong attitude. You're treating it like a competitive game, sorting things into tiers and calling things objectively worse or better than others, rather than treating this sandbox as... well, a sandbox.

1 minute ago, Sunset Skye said:

Extremely mature way to show that you're correct: making fun of an exaggerated version of an argument nobody else has even made yet.

It's the most common and predominate pseudo-"argument" I've seen to the very mention of balance suggestions and it's not exaggerated at all, that's exactly what people say although they try to sound less absurd when they utter it. And that generally seems to be the very logic you're attempting to use in your subsequent text, which is likely why my preemptive mockery of that logic triggered you so. I'm sorry that you're confused.

54 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

there's still going to be people who are like GAME IS BALANCED SO PERFECT EVERYTHING USEFUL STOP WHINING I USED THIS THING ONE TIME THREE YEARS AGO SO IT'S TOTALLY USEFUL.

lol

Siesta Lean-to - Whatever role it's supposed to serve it really just doesn't, instead it could be a lower tier tent that costs cheaper resources to make but has less uses.

the siesta lean to restores an extremely good amount of health + sanity at the cost of shockingly little hunger, it's arguably better than the tent

Rabbit Earmuffs - Although being relatively easy to craft they are so bad there's basically no reason to even bother, they provide so little warmth that even if you're desperate they still give you little to no actual benefit. There's really not much you can do to balance them that wouldn't disrupt the status quo with the winter hat, so I would suggest giving them a different benefit entirely such as a small speed boost or causing rabbits to no longer run away from the player.

useful for winter starts

Pretty Parasol - Also easy to make but not worth using, if it was slightly more affective and lasted much longer then maybe.

useful for spring starts (use in tandem with straw hat and standing below a tree to become completely dry with very little cost)

Hibernation Vest - Give it more warmth than a puffy vest, considering it's a boss item and it takes up a valuable slot.

it lowers hunger rate its good enough bro

Bee Queen Crown - Give it more defense, durability so that it can actually be used as a piece of armour. Additionally allowing it to be repaired, or giving it the ability to slowly mend itself overtime, would make it more useful outside of just being a sanity station type item. Considering this is a drop from one of the strongest enemies in the game.

while i agree that it should have a little more defense, I think it serves a good role already by itself since the ability to manipulate sanity efficiently is a very useful tool and it doesnt drain durability from that so you could use it forever

Bat Bat - Although the health regeneration is nice players can mass produce healing items and comparable or stronger weapons much easily. Reduce the material cost so that it's actually worth crafting, and reduce the amount of sanity it drains so it's less punishing to even use.

i agree

Walls - While being a great idea in concept they're almost useless for defense due to little durability they have, if their durability was significantly increased they at least might have some more value than being used as pens and to provide the illusion of safety. Additionally it should be possible to place walls on tiles adjacent to the ocean / abyss.

walls aren't good at defense,  but they're good at being used in such a way that mobs path around them. even flying mobs will think to travel around walls or through a mazelike structure, so you can get pretty creative with them. however i agree that you should be able to place them adjacent to ocean/abyss.

Honey Poultice - Increase its healing, as it's easier to make food that heals a comparable amount.

both materials (honey, papyrus) are easy as pie to renewably get, i think its fine

Luxury Fan - Increase its uses to compete with easier to craft methods of staying cool primarily the chilled amulet. Allowing the luxury fan to provide a speed boost to your boat if used in proximity would also give it more purpose.

it's main use is to put out fires bro not cool yourself down

Belt of Hunger - Food is so relatively easy to produce that having an equipment item to reduce hunger is redundant. Significantly reduce its durability and cause it to increase the overall effectiveness of eaten food would make it a much more interesting advantage.

wolfgang

Bee Mine - Not worth using between the cost of creating it and the general lack of threat bees provide, also is one use. If the mine dealt damage on activation, significantly more damage than a tooth trap, and cost stingers instead of bees it could be useful as a higher tier single use trap. Currently the only purpose it has is forcibly aggravating bees onto mobs, which can already be done in a variety of other ways and there isn't much point to it anyway.

i agree

Straw Hat - Needs to provide more wetness resistance to give players more ways to resist wetness if helmets aren't going to provide any.

combine with pretty parasol / umbrella for easy complete dryness resistance

52 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Fire / Ice Staff - Have both deal an average amount of base damage to the enemy struck by them so that they actually are decent ranged weapons instead of near pointless niche things. Specifically have the fire staff deal more damage since it's more of a risk to use.

i certainly wouldn't be against them dealing a set amount of damage each hit, but outside of that both of these staffs in terms of offensive use are best used as stunning tools. many weaker mobs will run around panicking if you light them on fire which, especially as willow, is a good time to strike them. otherwise, ice staffs are good too.

23 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

the siesta lean to restores an extremely good amount of health + sanity at the cost of shockingly little hunger, it's arguably better than the tent

useful for winter starts

useful for spring starts (use in tandem with straw hat and standing below a tree to become completely dry with very little cost)

it lowers hunger rate its good enough bro

The lean to is only usable during the day which is the most productive time to be doing something else, making it worse than the tent, especially since hunger is completely negligible.

If you need to use rabbit earmuffs or a pretty parasol at the start of a season you are not very good at this game. If you need to use rabbit earmuffs or a pretty parasol because you just joined a server, the people already in it aren't very good at the game for not having accrued enough spare resources to give you decent equipment unless they've been swarmed by new players; and you generally shouldn't be joining cooperative servers during the harsh seasons anyways since it's an unfair burden on the players who are already in it.

Decreased hunger rate is useless, hunger is not a problem if you're competent at the game, and that's the only benefit it provides that is different than a puffy vest. Have you actually even used it, or mentally compared it to anything else, or factored in anything at all. Actually it's worse than a puffy vest because I'm pretty sure it degrades faster.

Seems like folly to continue debunking these should you add more "criticisms" to your reply.

6 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

The lean to is only usable during the day which is the most productive time to be doing something else, making it worse than the tent, especially since hunger is completely negligible.

bro just get a miner hat or something, night is just as valuable of a time as day, hunger is a resource that you should use efficiently apparently so using it in a siesta lean to is better off, such is the trade off for using day time instead of night time

If you need to use rabbit earmuffs or a pretty parasol at the start of a season you are not very good at this game.

lmfao

If you need to use rabbit earmuffs or a pretty parasol because you just joined a server, the people already in it aren't very good at the game for not having accrued enough spare resources to give you decent equipment; and you generally shouldn't be joining cooperative servers during the harsh seasons anyways since it's an unfair burden on the players who are already in it.

im not gonna rely on some poor dude to wait for me to spawn at the portal to give me a beefalo hat and thermal stone, i'd much rather prove myself on my own in harsh conditions, and in that, bunny muffs & pretty parasols & whirly fans are useful.

Decreased hunger rate is useless, hunger is not a problem if you're competent at the game

even if hunger is something that many people can get in mass, doesnt mean items that help with it or mitigate it for characters like wolfgang are useless. by that logic, crock pots and fridges shouldn't be in the game since you could certainly make due with berry bushes alone. 

Have you actually even used it

yeah i use it extensively in ds/t during later game winters, it's nice to have

or mentally compared it to anything else, or factored in anything at all.

lol 

it's worse than a puffy vest because I'm pretty sure it degrades faster.

it does indeed degrade faster, but sewing kits exist and i'd say it's worth it 

1 hour ago, mirrormind said:

Tam 'O' Shanter - Is too strong. It basically gives the player immunity to most forms of sanity drain yet is relatively easy to acquire and mass produce even. Plus it's only really unusable during the summer so that's three quarters of the year that players can essentially be part Maxwell. Reducing its sanity regeneration to be decent but not more than items that provide no other benefits than sanity regeneration would make it less predominate.

Sanity isn't much of a challenge, it's easy to grasp and conquer, it's not some sort of punishment. It's very helpful to go insane and kill the monsters for resources.

This would only make it harder for new players, the first 100 hours of the game and that's even, which is unlikely, get to winter.

There is no need for this, 6.7 a min isn't godly, and it's just really helpful

Scaled Flooring - Should provide smoldering immunity to all structures on it. Avoiding smoldering is already so simple as making a flingo, if players are going to fight a boss just to get some floor it should at least be an upgrade from using a flingo.

ok this would be topkek

Monster Meat - Should automatically turn any meal it's cooked with into monster lasagna. If birds are fed it they should produce a bad egg, or take damage so that they can only be fed a certain amount of monster meat every while or they'll die. The game is absolutely filled with numerous sources of healthy meat and there's little reason to bother with most of them when it's easier to just use monster meat. Yes higher tier food sources require healthy meat but you don't need them, and you can find other ways to regenerate health and sanity while sustaining your hunger perpetually with meat balls. If monster meat was actually punishing to use at least players would be forced to find more diverse and less effortless ways to substitute for meat in the crockpot.

So make it useless? Why? That won't solve the nonexistant problem of "food source op" I can crap food out without monster meat.

btw this entire thread kind of misses the point of the game, it's "difficulty charm" only comes from the factor of the unknown. You want to make the game harder that doesn't change whenever you know something or not? That's going to drive people away

again from my own experience after a thousand hours; there's still going to be people who are like GAME IS BALANCED SO PERFECT EVERYTHING USEFUL STOP WHINING I USED THIS THING ONE TIME THREE YEARS AGO SO IT'S TOTALLY USEFUL.

Not to be rude, but using these things as a qualifier for your argument, especially as an opener, does make it infinitely harder to take this seriously.

One thing I would say is to observe the game from the lens of the lesser experienced players which dominate the landscape compared to the veterans who can’t die if they tried. I think it would change your opinion about some of these things. Definitely feel like farms and blow darts can get some love though.

Rename them to something else and give them the same growth rate but different benefits. There's essentially zero reason to craft a basic farm when it's not much harder to craft an improved one. If they had the same effectiveness but different quirks then there'd be more reason for two to even exist.

I think we should just add in hoes and till/fertilize the ground 

Try to not make wormwood's perk redundant, but honestly farms need to change, and this is a bad bandaid for it.

So make it a bit complicated, but not softcapped by making fat expensive plots to plant 1 seed so it'll grow in a few days but literally just gives you 1 berry worth of hunger

Edit: sorry for chained responses, I thought this would merge

29 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Currently the flooring system is entirely cosmetic

Not well known is that flooring affects bird spawn behavior (e.g. crows will not land on grass turf, redbirds/snowbirds will not land on anything other than grass, forest, savanna). But I won't deny it is otherwise largely cosmetic.

30 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Morning Star - Considering the rarity of acquiring goat horns, and with Warly it's far better to make the jelly, the Morning Star should be stronger and last much longer to be worth using in comparison to how awkward it is to craft.

I actually prefer using the morning star. The jelly gives you 4 (5?) minutes of electric damage, which have to use right away. Morning star lasts 8 minutes and is weaker, but I can choose when to use the 8 minutes. I also don't have to worry about spoiling jelly. Most of the time, combat is very short-lived and never lasts long enough to make me bother with switching to Warly to make jelly. I think the morning star is fine as is, but I wouldn't mind a slight buff to damage.

48 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Telelocator Staff / Telelocator Focus - Generally cost too many purple gems to be worth using much unless the player has accrued a lot of them from long term boss and ruins farming. If they cost less purple gems in general, and if one purple gem was enough to fuel the focus for one use, it would be more appealing to use without needing an absurd stash of purple gems.

I feel these items are reserved for the late game, where you can set up varg farms for gems to make use of these.

49 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

I think the near-instant drop to 5 degrees body temperature is worth the effort. It's also nice for emergency fire extinguishing. What else would you need from it?

53 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

This item is meant to be an item you make because you have no other choice. Think starting a game in spring, which is actually possible on default in single player Don't Starve.

59 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Moggles - Provide only a moderately larger sight radius than a lantern yet are harder to craft and much harder to fuel, generally only being useful for exploring the ruins as the extra sight is effective for seeing dangerous in the distance. Moggles should either last significantly longer or gain significantly more durability from glow berries to compete with the easier to use and maintain light sources in the game

Moggles as a concept makes sense. Moleworms are underground dwellers; Moggles allows you to see underground. I think they are balanced very well for this purpose.

---

Most items have their own specific uses, some more niche than others. Yeah, I'll agree that some of the items really need a boost, but c'mon. Don't complain about moggles, luxury fans, bq crowns, or even the rainometer. They all have their uses, and are fine as they are. This game is all about learning to make use of all the tools available to you. Some uses are a bit more nuanced, and so require a bit more effort to find some use for them.

A few things I disagree, Rabbit earmuffs can make your life easier if you join a server in winter so you don't need to burn a tree every 10 seconds. I craft rain hat over umbrella if I'm on public servers, have a walking cane and the Deer spawned far from me. Straw hat helps people who join in summer. Moggles make your ruins rush way too safe already, there has to be a tradeoff for that in some way. Everything body clothes/armor, if you know you won't need more than 3 items to do what you need to do might as well use it, usually happens on privates because in publics you need to hold on to your items but even there you can play backpack-less without a problem with good item management. Belt of hunger is best used for Wolf so he doesn't need to eat seeds/honey too often to keep his damage topped off. Boomerang is nice if you're riding a beefalo for fun and wants to hunt naked beefalos with trunks. I never felt the need to hunt for tentacle spikes they are just bonus. Grass suits are nice when you don't have gold yet and wants to get early gears in a laggy server or for Warly to start hunting meat sooner with an axe. You can cheesy a certain boss with bee mines if you can't solo it. You can light a Night Light with a fire staff, they have utility in caves. Have fun playing without Monster Meat on a public server where everyone is making pigs go homeless. Most public servers die during winter because the icebox doesn't have enough food and you want to take MM and ice out of crockpot recipes.

For someone with 1k hours you really don't like items that take out sanity.

[Insert item that doesn't require an alchemy engine] aren't that useless, specially if you join a server in the middle of a season outside autumn, they are cheap for a reason.

Sleeping items are good if you're riding a beefalo and it's aggroed into something.

Crafted healing items are good for Warly and Wormwood, never goes bad, doesn't require you to craft a crockpot where you are or go back to base and doesn't need you to kill beequeen which is not something one does on a public server without preparing a good amount of time. They have their uses, no need to make them heal more just because they are overshadowed by food.

If I'm not mistakes Ocuvigil keeps part of the map always loaded which is good for some farms, making them reveal Lunar Island would take exploration away.

If the devs make walls too good, people will starve worlds from stones in public servers (sometimes they do that already).

Gotta sleep, I'm not going to format this properly.

21 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Tam 'O' Shanter

It's fine where it's at. The sanity you gain from it can negate normal everyday exploration but it also barely does anything to any other sanity drain that is less then 6. Ii provides a useful extange of not wearing armor in the head slot for sanity and warmth which allows both the chest and head slots to have items that have some of the same properties. The fact that it offers these benefits in extange for other benefits fits in line with the others.

26 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Tentacle Spike

Not only is the tentacle spike still renewable without wickerbottom (via tentapillers), the limitedness of the item makes sense for pushing the player towards progression. When a player who has been relying on tentacles spikes runs out, it pushes them to go look for other weapons, to experiment. It also makes sure that the player has to actually use crafting stations and not just have pigs kill stuff for rewards.

29 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Ham Bat

While I agree that it might be too powerful, reducing the damage doesn't remove its best perk, its unlimited durability. Sure fights might last longer but a weapon that doesn't break won't be effected by the damage increase. A better route might to make it spoils faster. This way it makes a noticeable impact while not entirely reducing the limit of its power.

33 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Bat Bat

The Bat Bat should have a reduced crafting cost but the way it is now isn't bad. It provides a way to heal yourself without having to stop dealing damage or having to mess up your rythem is valuable to some. It also gives a use to bat wings which beyond giving eggs aren't very used.

36 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Tail 'O' Three Cats

While it's uses are very limited, the change you suggested would be way to broken. You simply suggested a way to stunlock bosses since you didn't give any exemptions to that effect. Simply making have a higher damage and durability would make it better, not changing it entirely.

39 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Rain Hat

While agree with the rain hat buff, you shouldn't remove the wetness resistance that you get with a helmet because it makes sense. Having a giantic hat that encompasses your entire head would naturally make is that you get wet slower. There is also the point that using umbrella and football helmet doesn't protect you from lightning which is also a huge danger in spring.

42 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Moggles

Moggles are actually and really reusable once you get the atrium and the fossil pieces. The Forest Stalker will produce lesser glow berries which can easily refuel a moggle with room to spare. The way they are made now are fine, even if you disconsider the forest stalker thing. The benefit of full vision of your surroundings is good enough that the relatively low durability is a good way of balancing the item.

45 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Night Light

The nightlight should just produce 2x as much light as firepit. That alone would make it useful and not make the others seem redundant. The way I see it, the only thing holding it back is the lack of a way to mass produce n. fuel. In DS, the ruins could produce you stacks and stacks of the stuff in 1-2 days which made it a comparable option to the other 2. 

48 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Top Hat

Top Hat is fine where it is. The sanity gained is decent and lasts long enough for it to be useful. The warmth you get is poor but is better then literly nothing. main use is of course advancement to magic. These combined factors combined makes the item fine for its cheapness.

51 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Basic Farm and Improved Farm

The 2 exist for one simple reason: reproduability. As there way no way to quickly produce rocks (with the exception of stone fruit bushes but if you are doing that for a couple of farms then I don't think you really need them) you do need to have a alternative that is more easily made without these resources that have more uses and are harder to obtain. While I do agree there is no reason to make a basic farm, there is a place for them in place of the advanced varient.

57 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

Thulecite Crown, Suit, Club, Pick/Axe

The changes you want are unnecessary. They are already extremly valuble, which is one of the reasons why people go to the ruins in the first place, The thulucite armor is appealing when dealing with bosses due to needing less of it. While you may want more out of it, many people still desire it as its effectiveness it already has can't be understated.

Scalemail

While I do agree that it needs to not light enemies on fire and needs a higher damage reduction, 95% is just a tad bit too much. The armor should shine for it's passive effects of fire immunity and not for its high damage reduction. A better way to buff it would to give it 85% reduction and provide a really high heat reduction bonus so it provides a big benefit during summer, which it's boss use to be associated with.

Flooring in General

This is already in place as there are certain turfs where you can't plant at all. The reason why you can't plant any plant on any plantable turf is so that you don't have to arbitraily dig up the ground just to plant stuff, which wouldn't work in the first place as replacing the ground doesn't automatically imbue that ground with the properties it had before it was dug up.

Artificial Flooring

It's fine as it is. The purpose of mammade turfs is 1) to make sure nothing grows on it and 2) A E S T H E T I C S. The reason why cobble works is because its made out to be a actual foot path or road while the others aren't.

Snelmet , Snurtle Shell Armor

The drop rates matches its power. Grinding for good items is a constant is a majority of long play time games like these. People don't complain about the krampus sack's drop rate becuase it's power matches it's drop rates, like it does with these 2 pieces of armor.

Belt of Hunger

Just because you can't get a bunch food doesn't reduce the potential of reducing hunger rates. The hunger reduction can easily be used by characters like Wes and Warly to negate one of their downsides for the extange of not being able to use anything in those slots. It can also help with very long trips as you will have much less stops/return less because of food. The fact that you know how to propely get food after 1000 hours doesn't change the fact that hunger can still altered for a easier time.

Monster Meat

Oh boy make it entirely worthless if your name isn't Wigfrid, Webber, or Wormwood. Changing this won't be change much as health meat is still better in every way and is much easier to produce with experience. While Meatballs are most certainly useful when you are scrapping by, saying that all other foods are trumped by them is stupid.

Ice

Again making entirely useless. Ice is useful because you can't use for much else other then filler, which most actually good recipies have little room for. While meatballs does allow you to use 3 ice, most recipes won't let you get away with more then one.

Ice Cube

It does provide complete protection to over heating.

Backpacks

Backpacks shouldn't be changed. Backpacks provide a useful early game tool that provides a useful beneifit without being too powerful. Just because everybody prefers storage space over everything else is not a sign that its too powerful, we just like having storage space.

Straw Roll and Fur Roll

They are meant for sleeping on the go while Tent is meant for sleeping at your base. The movability of the straw roll and Fur Roll allow it them to be a easy stop to recover sanity if you need some, instead of creating a entire structure in the middle of nowhere that you 'll most likely never use again. Buffing them is Unnecessary

Siesta Lean-to

It's meant for sleeping in the day, that's it. It's not meant to be compareable to the tent in power, its meant to be able to be used during the day while all other methods can't.

Rain-o-Meter / Thermal Measurer

It serves it job well enough. They don't be changed just because they information they give is unnecessary to the experienced.

One-man Band

Buffing followers is unnecessary as the item can easy allow you to amass quantity which is the purpose of followers, to be quantity vs quality.

Ocuvigil

The structure is fine but telling where the lunar island would be a one time benefit as once you mapped it out, it wouldn't be needed anymore and would just point at it for no reason.

The Lazy Deserter

I mean the games has to have some multiplyer specific items, and having inability to teleport to another point is something I can deal with compared to something else they can make something much more important.

Walls

I don't use walls because of maintenance. The maintenance to keep up with them just wastes time and is a apparent design flaw in them that is also necessary for their renewable game style. Walls just don't mix well with a veteran mindset so it does causes some problems when you try to use them like they are suppose to be used. Trying to fix walls is unnecessary because they are useless by their design.

Whirly Fan

Pretty Parasol

People have already disscussed this so I won't bother, but they are right about these items.

Weather Pain

I like it's ability to be useful as a multitool that can easily make harvesting tons of closly placed trees very easy. While niche, it doesn't need to be buffed in any sort of fashion.

End Table

Again its suppose to be for A E S T E T I C S  and thus isn't suppose to have any actual functionality by design. Despite that, it's use as a wall is actually really good for things like the Lunar Staff.

2 hours ago, mirrormind said:

Luxury Fan

As others have pointed out, its uses are fine.

Honey Poultice

While increasing the healing wouldn't be bad, it's also unessary as it is tstill a very useful way of healing and is sometimes required by Wormwood and Warly

Bee Queen Crown

The Bee Queen Crown is fine where it's at. It provides a very good use but it's fragility also makes it retain this air of impoartence and should be saved for big stuff unlike other armors, it also makes it so that you have another reason to kill bee queen again.

And the rest are things I have no gripes with.

after a thousand hours of playing I've both seen this in other servers and in my own, and all the overpowered items are almost exclusively what people do use, again from my own experience after a thousand hours; there's still going to be people who are like GAME IS BALANCED SO PERFECT EVERYTHING USEFUL STOP WHINING I USED THIS THING ONE TIME THREE YEARS AGO SO IT'S TOTALLY USEFUL.

This is a bad thing to say as it completely disregards any argument that argue it (like me) as you pose it as you opinion. While it is your opinion, I can still criticize that opinion. You also completely disregarding that argument also displays a sign that they might be right saying that somethings made 3 years ago are still balenced, but adding a generality to it makes so that they can't pick parts of that statement they agree with (again like me).

If you need to use rabbit earmuffs or a pretty parasol at the start of a season you are not very good at this game. If you need to use rabbit earmuffs or a pretty parasol because you just joined a server, the people already in it aren't very good at the game for not having accrued enough spare resources to give you decent equipment; and you generally shouldn't be joining cooperative servers during the harsh seasons anyways since it's an unfair burden on the players who are already in it.

Decreased hunger rate is useless, hunger is not a problem if you're competent at the game, and that's the only benefit it provides that is different than a puffy vest. Have you actually even used it, or mentally compared it to anything else, or factored in anything at all. Actually it's worse than a puffy vest because I'm pretty sure it degrades faster.

Seems like folly to continue debunking these should you add more "criticisms" to your reply.

All this seems to have sprouted from not experiencing it from the perspective of a person of a different perspective and experience, like @Sweaper said. All of these assume that you start early enough, people in the server are generous enough, and that everyone know the ins and outs like you do. Taking these out of consideration might help you see this in an new light.

Have a nice night.

Blow Darts - Crafting them should produce three of said blow dart instead of one. A single blow dart is equal to only two hits from a medium to high tier weapon, blow darts simple aren't powerful enough to be worth crafting in their current state. Sleep darts should put enemies to sleep much easier since the sleep mechanic is situational enough as is, if it was easier to trigger at least it would be more appealing to use for strategic purposes. Fire darts should deal more base damage than regular darts, since using fire is generally disadvantageous so players should be rewarded for taking the risk of burning everything down by dealing more damage with them. Electric dart base damage should at least be the same as regular dart. Damage modifiers from things like character perks shouldn't apply to them.

If you set your mind to crafting blow darts you can get a decent stack.  They deal 100 damage per hit and can be spammed pretty quick giving you an amazing burst without even needing to kite.  I use these for fighting Klaus when the Krampus show up.  You get 2 per player and these can be a nuisance to take on.  I always do this fight with at least 3 blowdarts so I can ko one Krampus quick, then switch back to melee to down the other.  So not only is this the "best burst" weapon in game but it also has a great niche use.  I don't think they need to be any better to craft as then people might just run around with ONLY these and then all the other weapons are made worthless lol

Tail 'O' Three Cats - Very tedious to craft, its de-aggravation ability potentially interferes with kiting, and it deals terrible damage. Reduce the amount of tentacle spots it requires, reduce its durability to only a dozen or so uses, and instead cause it to forcibly pacify any mob hit by it. The pacified mob won't be able to attack anything for a brief period time so the player can switch to another weapon and attack it while it's vulnerable. Allowing the weapon to be used as a unique combat advantage to disable enemies so that they can't defend themselves.Rain Hat - Should provide at least eighty or ninety percent wetness resistance and helmets shouldn't provide any. When combined with an umbrella it's currently easier to craft a helmet, which has nothing to do with protecting against water, than an actual hat designed to protect against water.

I would love it if the tail always pacified mobs.  It should be a bit like a sleep effect where any damage removes it, but you get a bit of time where that mob will basically ignore you.  There should also be a whip version you can make that has better damage in case you just want to fight with whips.  Their range could be nice for some fights.

I agree with this 100%  Already many people base in Oasis or Caves to avoid smolder.  We need better ways to manage summer.

Night Light - Impressively awful, requires a decent amount of resources to craft and is just not worth using in general versus a fire pit. Giving the night light the ability to produce the opposite temperature of the current season, reducing its sanity degeneration and making its fire last longer would make it much more of an actual upgrade to the existing two firepits.

This is an interesting idea I'd have never thought of.  I like it - you get a sanity penalty, need to fuel it with nightmare fuel, but are always drawn to a neutral temperature.

The Lazy Deserter - Pointlessly punishes solo players, should be usable solo but at a significant sanity cost

I play this game alone 99% of the time.  I think a lot of the content needs a once over with the question of "how does 1 player do this" in mind.  I think it should be able to be activated similar to telelocator focus.  Create some second item you can connect with the deserter to activate it remotely allowing you to utilize the item.  I've literally never used the Lazy Deserter because I play solo T_T

On that note - telltale hearts should be able to be activated by haunting.  Solo players are completely barred from this low tier res item for no real reason.  The item already penalizes your max health, why not let solo players use this too?

Rabbit earmuffs shouldn’t make you run faster or make rabbits stop fleeing you, they are EARMUFFS they should protect your ears from loud sounds, such as Moose/Goose Honks that startle you causing you to fling your weapon away.. 

but as a Con to using them perhaps you would not hear warning sounds of incoming hound attacks either LOL.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

I play this game alone 99% of the time.  I think a lot of the content needs a once over with the question of "how does 1 player do this" in mind.  I think it should be able to be activated similar to telelocator focus.  Create some second item you can connect with the deserter to activate it remotely allowing you to utilize the item.  I've literally never used the Lazy Deserter because I play solo T_T

If you play the game solo, I don't see any harm in using mods that make items that are obsolete for solo play useful. There is a mod for Lazy Deserter that makes you able to charge it up with nightmare fuel and later use it alone so I'd recommend you that. Of course it'd be better if the developers had the solo mindset too when designing, such as making you able to start up a Deserter with desert stone to use it later but DST is a social interaction game as much as it is a survival or adventure game so I can understand when devs put focus on TOGETHER part for most aspects of the game. And the deserter is such a great item when playing together, makes me an addict for desert stones.

I generally agree with a lot of things here. There's a ton of weak items in the game that I wish were better. Even starting in mid winter i'd never make the dreaded bunny earmuffs. parasol is borderline useless, etc etc etc.

Bee Queen crown is fine tho. The durability on it is insane. If it had high % reduction it would be way too good. Also, Beequeen drops other ridiculously strong items. Bundling wrap and beans alone are amazing.

I think if characters were given like 2 more slots, and backpacks only had 6 slots, then the backpack would be less ubiquitous.

I agree on some, disagree on most, i hope i'll go in detail later but just wanna say that you completely negate the purpose of the BeeQueen Crown and it's reverse sanity aura, it's not meant to be hit with it, but it's insanely usefull if you fight deerclops and espacially the Fuelweaver, if you kite or switch armors when being hit. So in the ways you put it, it's a boss item that helps you kill clops with no sanity issues, and makes the fight with probably the hardest boss to solo a lot more managable. There's no way it should be even better.

This is a perfect example of misunderstanding an item a little, and there are some similar cases in your original post. That's fine anyway, as i said in the begging i do agree with some of your suggestions, but not with most. I just think your approach might make your experience a little less enjoyable.

How is a sanity item like the tam o' shanter op? Just learn to kite and kill shadow creatures lmao.

Also,i agree on the less useful items like the rabbit earmuffs,Tail 'O' Three Cats and Night Light.

BUT the Bee Queen Crown is fine,it's already an amazing item that makes you waste less time with sanity items for some bosses and BQ it's still worth it to kill for her op jellybeans and bundling wraps.

14 hours ago, mirrormind said:

And considering what I've seen elsewhere even though all the underpowered items on this list are pretty much never used, and after a thousand hours of playing I've both seen this in other servers and in my own, and all the overpowered items are almost exclusively what people do use, again from my own experience after a thousand hours; there's still going to be people who are like GAME IS BALANCED SO PERFECT EVERYTHING USEFUL STOP WHINING I USED THIS THING ONE TIME THREE YEARS AGO SO IT'S TOTALLY USEFUL.

Here's a list of "underpowered items" people use:

14 hours ago, mirrormind said:
Spoiler

Blow Darts

Tentacle Spike 

Bat Bat

Rain Hat

Moggles

Night Armour

Thulecite Crown, Suit, Club, Pick/Axe

Scalemail

Snelmet , Snurtle Shell Armor

Belt of Hunger

Basic Farm and Improved Farm

Morning Star

Boomerang

Straw Roll and Fur Roll

Siesta Lean-to

Rain-o-Meter / Thermal Measurer

Ocuvigil

Fire / Ice Staff

The Lazy Deserter

Telelocator Staff / Telelocator Focus

Walls

Napsack

Weather Pain

Bee Queen Crown

yeah, this is big brain time.

please don't complain about insanity being a bad thing after you played 1K hours.
xoxo, 2K hour player *dab*

What on earth are you talking about with "mass producing" Tam O'Shanters? The drop rate is only 25% from each MacTusk, they take a couple of days to respawn, and there's a single-digit number of MacTusk camps in a world unless you change the worldgen settings. All well and good if you're playing solo, perhaps, it's entirely possible to get two tams in one winter in singleplayer or a solo world, maybe even three if you really make an effort to farm them, but have you ever tried outfitting ten regulars on a server with their own tams? I play with a specific group of people on our own long-running private servers, so I have. The drop rate is not that favorable. In addition to being a poor choice of headgear during the summer I also wouldn't really recommend wearing them in heavy rain, except if you drop your backpack for a raincoat and use an umbrella, which virtually no one does.

I use weak, easily-crafted items like the bunny earmuffs and the pretty parasol mostly when I've had one misfortune after another, I recently joined the server, I might not have joined in a favorable time of year like autumn or late spring, and I'm playing either by myself or with inexperienced friends for whom I'm sacrificing better items. I've pretty much exclusively used the pretty parasol when I join as WX-78 and immediately get hit with a rainstorm. Especially in singleplayer, which the majority of these items are inherited from; there was one time when I had just bought Reign of Giants and decided to play as WX, then had to start in spring with 100 hp. Then moved on to Adventure Mode and got A Cold Reception. What little rain protection I was able to get kept me alive.

You've correctly identified several items that the player has to go out of their way to craft but that don't provide strong or broad enough benefits to make most players bother except perhaps in a few niche situations, but I'm not sold on most of your suggestions for improving them.

(By the way, I have 2096 hours in DST and another 574 in singleplayer DS.)

Archived