Bring back the infinite lighter.

Ok so, I've been fussing over this for the longest time, ESPECIALLY during the Willow Refresh reveal but I finally decided I wanted to give my 2 cents on this.

Willow's lighter should be infinite in Don't Starve Together. 

Now before y'all start squeaking about how "it would make darkness pointless" and how "infinite light sources are too op" Imma ask you to shush for a while and read through this first.

Reasons why Willow's lighter wouldn't be "OP", "Broken" and "Busted" in Don't Starve Together.

1. The light radius is so small there'd be no point in using it as your main light source outside of the early game.
2. You still need to hold it in your hand slot for it to give off light, unlike the lantern on miner's hat.
3. It costs petals/gold/rope to make.

Reasons why Willow's lighter being infinite would be nice and healthy for her character and the game overall.

1. It would make Willow's character more unique as a whole simply due to having a unique, permanent tool at her disposal.
She'd be able to cook food with it on the go whenever she'd need to (this still wouldn't be broken simply because crockpots exist, the main purpose would be for stuff like green caps). Would be able to light some stuff on fire when needed and even use it as a nice secondary weapon(Lighter > Dark Sword > Lighter > Dark Sword).
2. It'd be something "new". We have no infinite light sources, nor really "unique" light sources in this game so the lighter would bring back something fresh into the game because let's be honest, the only reason it's not infinite is because Klei liked their PVP.
1. It'd be a nice little buff to Willow, not a huge and overly impactful one, but nice, not a flavour perk, but not really an impactful one either, a nice in-between.

The lighter used to be her signature thing, and the reasons that it no longer is are kinda disappointing.

But UwU Nikki! "Cried the fanboys and fangirls!"
The gwiefews will aboose the infinite lightew UwU! 

But you can play on private servers... And on monitored pubs, or make friends so you can play with them! "Cried Nikki as the fanboys and fangirls hounded him!"

NO UWU! WE KNOW WHAT'S BEST FORW THE CHAWACTEW WE DON'T PWAY UWU!

Anyhow, there was absolutely no point EVER in removing the infinite durability of the lighter, might as well bring it back. 

She wouldn't be even close to OP, unlike other characters. She'd just be nice and fun to play, but fun is very subjective.

One of the reasons I believe they did away with an infinite lighter is the idea of multiplayer support. When you look at Maxwell in SP, his passive sanity regen was 20+/min compared to DST's 6.25+/min; reasons of which were made to make playing him less of a "too hard? play them" character, and help encourage players to survive on their own means. Whole groups new to the game and having a hard time with night may crowd the Willow because she has infinite light, or even become the choice pick for an entire server. Hungry? Bring Willow all the food to cook. In single player DS, the players' actions were a lot more permanent in result, forcing the game to give the player advantages that compensate for the challenge, whereas this is not the case in DST as there are a lot more caveats to survive what with the added reserve to rely on your friends as well. 

Another thing I'd like to address is the "cost-benefit" to making the lighter craftable instead of infinite. The benefits a player can have is 1) a light source better than a torch, 2) cooking food on the go (which also Warly has access to), and 3) gives a challenge come spring time as it loses durability up to 2x as fast in rain. Griefing is not as much an issue as it has been in the past as long as you are careful about who you let join in a game, as a server host you understand the risks with griefers in any sense; not to mention a character with a hammer can be just as bad as a person with a torch (the latter is just a bit more devastating). All it takes is 2 grass and 2 twigs to make "any" character a potential griefer on that note, not just a lighter. One "large" benefit to having the lighter lose durability and need to be crafted is the willingness to abandon it. Imagine if there were no way to make more than one, obviously you would want to keep it on you at all times as not to lose it or place in a chest; however, with it being craftable you can make a new one whenever you need it or simply when you want to drop some inventory as it's replaceable.

The crafting recipe is not too harsh to justify a change in my personal opinion, mainly as 1) rope is not hard to make at all, 2) later on gold will be abundant if you trade with the king, and 3) petals (the hardest of the three to get in my opinion) is only a few butterflies away from being made into a fresh new lighter.

All in all you bring up some very good points about your suggestion, hopefully my take on it helps to further the discussion in a beneficial way.  

11 hours ago, Nikki Darks said:

She'd just be nice and fun to play, but fun is very subjective.

Did you...just backhand your own point?

On the first part of your response; yes, it would encourage people to cooperate with Willow, ask her for help, teamwork.

You literally said that she would have something to help the team with.

My whole point on the infinite lighter is that it would NEVER be OP,
It's not better than a torch, just more reliable,
It could never replace the lantern nor the miner's hat, all it would be is a quality of life change for the character.

On the recipe, not saying it's hard to make nor punishing, just kinda tedious in the early game, plus I'd much rather save the petals for rot than to use them on the lighter,

Also, it's pretty cool that Warly can cook on Willow's lighter, but sad that it'd still be useless for him.

The last comment I put was just like, Idk to be honest, more of my personal take on the subject.

But thank you for your response, it's very much appreciated! Sorry if I responded a bit too late, dyslexic ass ass took a while to read. uw u

Infinite lighter was not op in single player, however it was very broken in multiplayer, because other characters would steal willow's lighter once she's dead and use it for themselves and never give it back. I think the lighter should be at least refuelable by something like petals or slurtle slime and also refuel itself if carried in Willow's inventory.

I kind of like the way it is now, a real lighter doesn’t last forever so having to create a new one when one burns out isn’t that big of a deal to me, it doesn’t even require ridiculous amounts of resources- An infinite lighter would server One and ONLY ONE purpose-

Willow would never ever EVER die again in Darkness, how lame...

If any character in the game AT ALL needs such an overpowered perk it’s WURT, well to be more precise- it’s The Abyssal Wurt Skin, because it Quite literally has an Angler fish light on her head.

But having a character who is forever immune to dying in darkness just sounds boring though.

The thing about being "immune" to darkness....

The infinite lighter would only have a drastic effect on people who were already bad enough to be dying to darkness in the first place. 

To people who know about torches, miner hats, mole hats, and lanterns, it would just be a nice little quality of life change. \o / 

4 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

do you die to darkness at all to begin with?

Yes almost all the time, especially when there aren’t any resources around anywhere in sight to build a simple light source with.

people tend to forget that without Grass, Saplings, or Flint to make axes and Pickaxes with you, simply can’t make light sources out of thin air.

Its even worse once you make it to summer season, your constantly burning through Endo Fires that eat away at your resources.. and I ain’t ashamed to admit that I’ve occasionally been caught off guard by not paying attention to the remaining resources I have left in my inventory. 

But what I Defiantly don’t agree with at all is negating Charlie’s attacks completely.. which is probably also why Wurts Abyssal Skin is purely Cosmetic only, even though she literally has a Light on top of her head at all times.

But I’m also probably in (the minority) group of players who wants a Harder Difficulty option for this game- one of the best examples of a Harder Difficulty is State of Decay 2- There is a World of differences between Normal & Nightmare Mode in that particular game... But the biggest thing is that there are less & less resources, & a lot more dangerous types of enemy threats.

The reason I bring up SoD 2 is that DONT STARVE has a “more” or “less”  toggle for a good majority of its content- so if any game can replicate State of Decay 2’s Less Resources & More Enemies, and meaner variations of said enemies- It’s Don’t Starve.

However- I personally would like to see some actual gameplay changes when it came down to a Hardcore Mode, for example.. Spider Warriors carrying the Poisonous bite effect they had in Shipwrecked.

And maybe even extending to Nightmare hands that come after your  firepit light, giving them brand new animations of swirling and dodging your path to reach your firepit in an Even less predictable manor..

Im sorry for completely hi-jacking your thread and making this TL:DR post, but I felt the need to talk about how there should be Easy and Harder Difficulty Sliders for this game.

ESPECIALLY if your playing on Consoles- Which do not have Access to Modded gameplay Content to change up the game.

Anyway, although it’s a few days late Wendy wishes you the Merriest Christmas and enjoy the rest of the WintersFeast.

2B27C8EA-D9BF-41F9-A945-00D7B9ED5BCB.jpeg

It should at least be refueable by using its ingredients used to craft it as fuel and not magically dessapearing when its durability gets down to 0. DST Willow already has alot of advantages and making her a  complete direct upgrade to DS Willow would be a weird design choice,even tho i don't really think a infinite lighter would be that op,due to the fact that light sources are dirt cheap.

My thoughts?
I would highly prefer infinite lighter. 
Or at the least, a cheap-ish way to refuel it. Like maybe throw some twigs/grass in there to give it some more life time.
Or, have it be infinite if Willow is holding it, and make it drain for other characters.
My thoughts, rough and off the top of my head, so obviously it could be better.

If you could refuel it at all that would be more than enough to make me use it more. Although I wouldn't say no to infinite durability.

It's just annoying that if you have a lighter that is low durability you either have to just toss it or carry around an extra in case it runs out during a critical time. Both options are infuriating since the the former just puts junk in the world you have to see every time you pass it and the latter wastes an inventory space.

Archived