[Idea] Floating ice sheets for Winter?

So, I think it's high time for our seasons to get some love in Return of Them. So why not have a new mechanic of ice sheets spawning randomly on the world in winter?

They could have random irregular shapes and act just like boats that players can board and hop on, Maybe even breaking apart into smaller ice sheets at random times( Or when cookie cutters and Gnarwails break it) . Penguins and maybe a new mob could live on these ice sheets.

Maybe even a new semi-biome in the ocean with tons of small broken up ice sheets that you can quickly hop across? Just a small idea to liven up the ocean at winter time. :)

And imagine the chaos when you and your friend are an ice sheet, and it breaks apart dividing the both of you, hehehe

As long as you slide crossed them somewhat uncontrollably I’m down with that idea (this sliding mechanic was an actual glitch with the game not too long ago..) you’d punch a berry bush and the berries would slide across the floor like skating on Ice.

It´s a pretty interesting idea, surely needs some improvement.

Maybe it wouldn't completely disappear but the structures like those ice sculptures that you mentioned would disappear from a land mass, surly would ad more to the Oceania. Although it´s interesting, i´m not sure if Klei would ad one, cause it doesn't really fit well in the hole Update, i personally think that if there was a new land\structure in the sea would be soothing like Maxwell´s "they come from the fire lands" examining the red birds quote.

Interesting idea, though, like what would there be? A new ice armor perhaps?

If we're gonna have this, it's REQUIRED that if your boat instantly sinks because it lightly brushed up against an Ocean Ice Chunk, the player who DOESN'T drown must sing "My Heart Will Go On" over their microphone (if applicable) at the one who did.

The more off-key the better.  : P

(seriously though it's a cool idea, I'm all for spicing up seasons in non-instant-death, non-inescapable ways. Now if only we could do something for summer...)

...Notorious

I've been waiting for something like this as long as we've been able to sail. I'd love to have some random icebergs and sheets of ice floating around. It would be really nice to have pengulls and a few extra mactusks randomly walking around the ice, maybe even a new polar bear mob.

7 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

If i recall correctly, there are strings in the character speech files suggesting an icebergs and melted icebergs. Hopefully they're still there, and hopefully they'll get implemented :)

Arent those quotes for ground icy rocks? 

On 20.12.2019 at 10:40 PM, Hornete said:

So, I think it's high time for our seasons to get some love in Return of Them. So why not have a new mechanic of ice sheets spawning randomly on the world in winter?

They could have random irregular shapes and act just like boats that players can board and hop on, Maybe even breaking apart into smaller ice sheets at random times( Or when cookie cutters and Gnarwails break it) . Penguins and maybe a new mob could live on these ice sheets.

Your idea is perfect. 

1. It adds unique gameplay mechanic: imagine exploring icy islands biome by jumping from ice platform to ice platform. 

2. It expands enteraction with ocean. Icebergs might be a new boat class. It will melt in summer If you dont cool it with coldfirepit. 

3. It can be a basis of arctic biome. The one from there pingulls originate from. Also. Polar bears!

4. It makes seafaring more challenging. Avoid icebergs! Avoid Titanic fate! 

5. There can be New unique material. "Icebergs Ice" that has some magical applications. 

6. Icebergs should have routes that depict ocean streams. Meaning that you can remember icebergs danger places at sea. 

25 minutes ago, Desblat said:

Your idea is perfect. 

1. It adds unique gameplay mechanic: imagine exploring icy islands biome by jumping from ice platform to ice platform. 

2. It expands enteraction with ocean. Icebergs might be a new boat class. It will melt in summer If you dont cool it with coldfirepit. 

3. It can be a basis of arctic biome. The one from there pingulls originate from. Also. Polar bears!

4. It makes seafaring more challenging. Avoid icebergs! Avoid Titanic fate! 

5. There can be New unique material. "Icebergs Ice" that has some magical applications. 

6. Icebergs should have routes that depict ocean streams. Meaning that you can remember icebergs danger places at sea. 

Thank you, :) I really liked my idea and thought it was unique and hey I'll slide it into the back of my mind for a future possible mod if Klei doesn't add something like it for DST

16 hours ago, Mrklli said:

a few extra mactusks randomly walking around the ice

I'd love to see something to do with where the MacTusks go when it's not winter. Maybe we could find another island where they hang out in warmer weather, or at least watch them leave, whether magically or on a boat or some other vehicle. Maybe they cruise around the ocean in the warmer seasons on some kind of ship or something, ready to harass other people on boats.

On 12/20/2019 at 11:40 AM, Hornete said:

maybe a new mob could live on these ice sheets.

Here me out... Seals that squeal called “Squeals” or “Squeal Seals” I dunno. Point is they hunt penguins and squeal when they slide or swim away from stuff that attacks them.

On 12/21/2019 at 10:35 PM, kiwikenobi said:

I'd love to see something to do with where the MacTusks go when it's not winter. Maybe we could find another island where they hang out in warmer weather, or at least watch them leave, whether magically or on a boat or some other vehicle. Maybe they cruise around the ocean in the warmer seasons on some kind of ship or something, ready to harass other people on boats.

this we need more interactions with old things like this seriously

Archived