Warly needs some love...

... from community! 

Like really, a lot of people don't like him for no reason at all! Some time passed and I would like YOU to share your experience and tips for playing the Cheff:

Some things from me: 

Spoiler

1) portable crockpot still cooks your food and you can pick it while burning. True hero

2) you can cook dish with long cooking time to avoid Charlie in night (rip sanity)

3) setting diverse food sources is more viable. Diferent dishes fill different stats and also avoid his penalty) ). Few bee boxes, berrybushes, pighauses and farms will open so many possiblities, even in low numbers.

5) You can farm glowberries by ressurrecting Reanimated skeleton boi. Its cheap and Glowberry Mousse is the best.

6) Early game healing can be made by trail mix (1 birchnut, 2 berries and twig). Dont cook butterfly muffins - they are cheaper, but takes so much time! Even if you eat lot of them, 10 health is better then death. Haha

7) Hammering your crockpot will not destroy it. It will drop it as item.

8) You can place as much as 10 portable crockpots around one icebox and still reach them all (I think maximum for normal ones are six)

9) portable crock pot saves space on your battleship (bcs you need that firepit there you know ;) )

10) special season food (like Hot chilli dragon salads for winter, Azparachazpacho for summer and Fish Gordon Bleu for spring) are best if used in big combat. This food wIll free one space (for example: an eyebrella you need when fighting toad in spring [bcs you want it wet]. Instead you can use helmet and yellow amulet for better dodgIng.) Massproducing them just to flex on season is not worth the time.

11) new fishes can spoil and spoiled one can be hammered for boneshards (chance depends). That means you no longer require corpses of you friends for bone soup!

12) Onion for win. Keep it close to your heart.  

If you're not Wurt main, you're eating crockpot dishes anyway. The only thing I struggled with was sanity in long fights (aka no cooked greencaps or cacti), but hey - BQ crown is thing. When paired with huge damage buff from Voltgoat jelly, fight should not last long.

I should probably give warly a second chance, I played as him for like an ingame year, found myself barely surviving the whole time, then never played him again. Your tips are pretty good.

27 minutes ago, maciu67 said:

but he can eat only crock pot dishes and this is very big downside

Personally, the thing I struggled with the most, was the repeating foods penalty.

My gameplay, ever since I got the game, was to find a source of food, make enough of the same food for 2-3-5 days then move on to other things. With Warly I have to change that, and I can't do it in a way that allows me to develop other things as well... so I'm always stuck in just surviving.

3 minutes ago, Ninja1996 said:

If you're not Wurt main, you're eating crockpot dishes anyway.

Not me on public servers and while we are at publics, Warly's advantages in early game is almost non existent, winter being the second season just makes you wait more hours until you can make your dishes and you can ignore his diet with meat alone through a pig farm. Late game you can make food, stockpile with bundling wraps and switch, but I don't find any of the dishes good enough for me to want to do all the work getting their ingredients (not even the most broken one).

But at least there are people who likes his different playstyle from time to time, me included.

i like him alot, he s fun to play as, he forces me to approach things differently than i do with most characters; but i do think he's for sure the hardest one for begginers, so that could be a big reason why he s not that popular.

My advice as far as food goes for the first few days would be to pick up the berris&carrots around, kill a few butterflies, hopefully kill a koala, if not settle for a few spiders. Then settle the pot in a place where u can farm some rocks or wood while your food cooks. Then use your ingredients to make 2 potato tubbers(u should have your 2 potatos), 2-4 buttermuffins, depending on the meat situation make 2-3xmeaty stew and 2-3meatballs, and with the remaining carrots and berris 2-3 rattatouile. Pick up the cookpot and go find the goats :D

Another thing i do as him is rush farms pretty quick(you'll eventually want a massive farm), hopefully find a large beef herd and set some up before i go for lightbulbs for the poop. I find it that i have to prioritise things better as warly, with other caracters i rarely cook anything in the first 15-20 days(and if i am i just spend 1 day cooking 20 pierogis for some fight and that it), so this takes some time and i'm not able to get the some amount of things done as i would with someone else.

Use your spices :D. Best way i see for them is on powdercakes. Just have an icebox with spiced powdercakes, they basically never spoil and just pick up your buff when you need it :) . And i usually make all the jellybeans garlic jellybeans, since i most often eat them when i'm fighting something. 

A good warly could do magic on public servers, or just multiplayer servers in general, his buffs are nice and convenient, not only the spicy goat jelly to give to wolfgang to kill any boss in 2 minutes, also the wet and summer dish, i find them usefull and fun, and also the spicy powdercakes ofcourse; exploring caves in winter is great with no wetness penatly, having some azpagaragazpacho or whatever that dish's name is on you in summer is also convenient :D. Those are not game changers, nor needed, but they are usefull and fun nonetheless.

So that my take on warly, he okay :D

34 minutes ago, Ninja1996 said:

2) you can cook dish with long cooking time to avoid Charlie in night (rip sanity)

Same can be done with a single torch, but you won't be forced to stay near your Crock Pot.

37 minutes ago, Ninja1996 said:

8) You can place as much as 10 portable crockpots around one icebox and still reach them all (I think maximum for normal ones are six)

You won't need 10 Crock Pots around a single Ice Box as they'll anyway produce faster than you can refill them. If you place that many, there won't be place for more Ice Boxes. And if you want to produce foods en masse, then you should rather move the ingredients to your inventory.

44 minutes ago, Ninja1996 said:

9) portable crock pot saves space on your battleship (bcs you need that firepit there you know ;) )

Don't understand how that's supposed to save space, you should always place the bigger structures first and you can place like 7 normal Crock Pots on a ship. It will more like disable the ship for everyone except Warly.

47 minutes ago, Ninja1996 said:

10) special season food (like Hot chilli dragon salads for winter, Azparachazpacho for summer and Fish Gordon Bleu for spring) are best if used in big combat. This food wIll free one space (for example: an eyebrella you need when fighting toad in spring [bcs you want it wet]. Instead you can use helmet and yellow amulet for better dodgIng.) Massproducing them just to flex on season is not worth the time.

Hot chilli dragon salad requires a Dragon Fruit + a Pepper, and both ingredients are  hard to gather and don't grow during winter. You need alot of preparation to make use of them, besides that, a Hot Thermal Stone grants the same buffs but also protects you from darkness.

Same for Azparachazpacho: Ice doesn't grow during summer and you'll be better off with a Thermal, which even lasts longer than the Azparachazpacho buff.

Last but not least: You'll be better off against Toadstool with a Rain Coat or just an Umbrella, these items don't spoil in spore clouds and are capable to grant you 100% Rain protection. Besides that, Wigfrid is definetly the better choice against Toadstool, unless you're able to solo Toadstool on day 5 as Warly.

57 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Personally, the thing I struggled with the most, was the repeating foods penalty.

That's true. Warly should  promote  food variety but in real he promotes dishes that give lots of hunger like Meaty Stew.

Warly is my favorit character, and since the time when he got added to the multiplayer he is my main character to play, before it was winnona.

He is a character who is balanced enough, has no annoying debuffs like Wortox that only gets 1\2 of Hunger, like what is the idea to kill things all the time to feed yourself and heal while you can just get all the stats from food from other characters? He is "Hard to play", lets face it DST is not wherry "Hard", a lot of cheese thorough the hole game, and he is only who is like a challenge, except Wes who is a Mime, or beter said a Meme!

I want to say some experiences with him:

1. Since the new update its weary us full to craft the new fishing rod to fish every night 3 fish and get 1 meat = Surf and Turf made in Warly´s crook pot- easy healing for 60 early in game! Amazing.
  2. Spicing dishes in the seasoning station makes them different from the unseasoned ones. So he can get those 5 free meatballs for 2 days! It´s gota be plenty of food for you.
  3. If you taring to get a turkey trap for berries with powdery cake early, his crock pot helps a lot!
  4. He´s glowy mose is just OP, im telling you, you don´t need to even bother getting miner hat and Mogels.
  5. He´s spices make it easier to get ruins rush fast and safe.
  6. I´m not sure but maybe the morningstar is OP with he´s waterproof dish

Although people may think that he is horrible, he is not. But, i need to mansion you this:

NEVER try to pick up crook pop at night.

And NEVER go without your cook pot outside of base! There is a sorry to be told hire, but it´s probably should go to the players stories Forums.

People don't like Warly because they don't know how to play him and what he can do and offert or they hate cooking simulator. He is character stricte made for CO-OP game, not single and I think everyone can have smiliar or same feeling like me. As solo pick he can be weak because need to spend a lot of time to gather ingredients for dishes. Also his dmg is low. But if you play with more than - or only - 1 player, you can see how strong Warly can be and his synergies with other characters (eg. Wolfgang, Wickerbottom, Wigfrid, Wormwood). His dishes are pretty good also the most important part of his gameplay are - spices! Ofc getting ingredients for spices need some time, but worth. Trust me really worth because buffs connected with few dishes can be huge OP.

Example:

• Pierogi give you 40 HP, when Pierogi with salt spice give you 50 (10 HP more).

• Surf'n'Turf give you 60 HP, when salted version give you 75 (15 HP more)!

• Hambat deal 59.5 dmg per hit (if is fresh), after eat dish with chilli spice you can deal with same weapon 71.4 dmg!

• Dark Sword deal 68 dmg per hit, again after eat dish with chilli spice you can deal 81.6 dmg!

Weapon dmg was presented for characters with normal dmg modifier. Wendy with Wes have less dmg, when Wolfgang and Wigfrid have bigger dmg.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.84e8879bfd416d541d91b62944cd43a4.png

I love playing as Warly, but that repeating food penalty is really tough combined with his faster hunger drain. I wish he had more simple Warly specific crockpot recipes to help you in early game when you don't have a massive amount on onions handy. Also not a big fan of the faster hunger drain, but I'm willing to live with it.
Not a lot of people know this, but Warly actually has a hidden downside: being blamed when other survivors are starving. There will always be those day 3 Wendy's asking Warly for food. He needs to focus on feeding himself until there is a stable food farm.

All in all though, I think the best way to give the Warly man some love is give him more spices to work with (a speed one would be incredible) as well as some more special dishes.

Spoiler

CHEF SKIN

9 hours ago, Wumpair said:

Warly is my favorit character, and since the time when he got added to the multiplayer he is my main character to play, before it was winnona.

He is a character who is balanced enough, has no annoying debuffs like Wortox that only gets 1\2 of Hunger, like what is the idea to kill things all the time to feed yourself and heal while you can just get all the stats from food from other characters? He is "Hard to play", lets face it DST is not wherry "Hard", a lot of cheese thorough the hole game, and he is only who is like a challenge, except Wes who is a Mime, or beter said a Meme!

I want to say some experiences with him:

1. Since the new update its weary us full to craft the new fishing rod to fish every night 3 fish and get 1 meat = Surf and Turf made in Warly´s crook pot- easy healing for 60 early in game! Amazing.
  2. Spicing dishes in the seasoning station makes them different from the unseasoned ones. So he can get those 5 free meatballs for 2 days! It´s gota be plenty of food for you.
  3. If you taring to get a turkey trap for berries with powdery cake early, his crock pot helps a lot!
  4. He´s glowy mose is just OP, im telling you, you don´t need to even bother getting miner hat and Mogels.
  5. He´s spices make it easier to get ruins rush fast and safe.
  6. I´m not sure but maybe the morningstar is OP with he´s waterproof dish

Although people may think that he is horrible, he is not. But, i need to mansion you this:

NEVER try to pick up crook pop at night.

And NEVER go without your cook pot outside of base! There is a sorry to be told hire, but it´s probably should go to the players stories Forums.

Glowberry Mousse does not trump Moggles. Especially in the ruins. 

Also, dont forget, if you have friends, you can make them love you easily:

1) honey seasoned food for Woodie to chop fast

2) grim galette for Wormwood/Wickerbottom for fast healing or sanity

3) spicy voltgoat jelly for Wolfgang to make him raidboss

4) garlic powder for Wigfrid to master her defense (80% armor + her leech will make her unkillable)

3) pancakes, bone soup or Moqueca for Wortox to ease his hunger drain

4) Asparagazpacho for Willow, so she can bath in flames without overheating issues (need verify)

5) monster tartare for Webber or Wormwood, if you're too lazy to turn cooked mm into eggs. Also note that 2 mm and 2 eggs always turn into tartare while cooking in Portable crockpot (so no chance for bacon&eggs). Tartare cooks very fast. And looks fancy!

8 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

I love playing as Warly, but that repeating food penalty is really tough combined with his faster hunger drain. I wish he had more simple Warly specific crockpot recipes to help you in early game when you don't have a massive amount on onions handy. Also not a big fan of the faster hunger drain, but I'm willing to live with it.

I don´t know man, for me is enough for instance:

1. Meaty stew after hunting a coalefant
  2. Meatballs from spiders
  3. Spicy chilly from spiders coalefant and 2 carrots
  4. Surf´n´torf after getting the infinite fishing rod, fishing 3 fish during the night
  5. A fist full of gam from berries near me
  6. The trial mix if pigking is not too far from base
  7. Ratatuie if i have nothing else

My ultimet goal for all characters that i play is to go to the lunar island at spring, the see weds are the best food and now they are a vegie so you will have plenty of filler for the hole game!

Wigfried does not eat non-meat food for the religious reasons of her character. Wurt cannot eat meat because of its physiology. Why can't Warly eat not Crock Pot food? Even dried and fried at Campfire. In a survival game, this is absurd. Inadequate flaw number 1.
Warly gets less satiety from repeated meals. Why? Is there some kind of shadow curse on his stomach? Or is he like a spoiled princess tossing out part of a dish? X calories is still X calories, no matter what. Getting less sanity from repeated meals is correct, but getting fewer calories is nonsense. Inadequate flaw number 2.
“Portable Crock Pot is great” - there can be a discussion on which Crock Pot is more portable, one that can be picked up from the ground and put into inventory that already has many ingredients for different dishes, or one that is stored in the construction tab and costs less, which will put them on each camp.
If the developers wanted to force players to learn and use other recipes in this way (not only meatballs and pierogi), then a sequence of meatballs, meat stew and honey ham breaks these plans.
Conclusion: if Warly has access to Meat, then he does not experience the full power of his weaknesses, but if there are no ingredients for the above dishes in the environment (I hope one day adventure mode will be added to the game), then he will not have a chance to survive. And how will Warly survive if all of its Crock Pot are destroyed (destroyed by the Cyclops, accidentally torched at night with a torch, and so on)? It is not right.

Sorry, but saying that Warly is one of the best characters in DST sounds really dumb.

Just take a look at Wilson. he's such a nice multitasking character, a list of his abilities:

• He does not have the freezing penalty from Willow
  • He does not have the increased hunger drain from Wolfgang
  • He does not have the reduced damage from Wendy
  • He does not have the damage by wetness from WX-78
  • He can sleep in the Tent, unlike Wickerbottom
  • He can consume Monster Meat, unlike Woodie
  • He does not have any of Wes's penalities
  • His health is twice as high as Maxwell's health
  • He can consume vegetables, unlike Wigfrid
  • He's not being attacked automatically by Pigs, unlike Webber
  • [...]

Besides that, he also has the following abilities:

• He grows a beard which grants him insulation and can be shaved for Sanity and Beard Hairs

But do all of his "abilities" make him the best character in DST? Actually not: While Wilson doesn't have disadvantages, he's also lacking abilities and fulfills tasks much worse than certain characters.

Warly has some nice abilities unlike Wilson, but his abilities are really limited, and he has some kind of disadvantages:

• He has a 20% increased hunge drain: That one isn't too bad, just eat 6x Meatballs instead of 5x Meatballs
  • He can't eat not prepared food: That one is an early game disadvantage which forbids him to use caps for rushing

And finally his last disadvantage:

• Eating the same dish twice over <2 days applies a 10%/20%/35%/50%/70% penalty on that kind of food

That one penalty is something what ruins the whole character for me.

That penalty might feel like it's supposed to prevent the player from refilling their stomach with Meatballs only, but that's totally not what it does. Instead it forbids Warly to use low quality food, but it also forbids him to restore his stats with his own dishes. He can't stick on caps during early game to heal himself, but he also can't stick on Fishsticks or Pierogi as they allow you to restore your health only once every 2 days. Other foods aren't available during that time as they require unique ingredients.

That penalty is not a hunger penalty, it's a health and sanity penalty, and it doesn't affect dishes like Meaty Stew at all, so you can easily stick on 2x Meaty Stew every 3.17 days.

His seasonings also feel bad designed, all they do is to turn you into Woodie/Maxwell or Wigfrid for short, or apply the effect of less than a blue cap on your food. The size of his Chef Pouch feels too small for him and it fits way better on Wigfrid, since she needs to stick on Meatballs, Cooked Monster Meat, etc. It would do its job better as an Insulated Pack with 8-10 slots, which can only contain Crock Pot fillers and seasonings.

I would really like to enjoy Warly, but right now he's lacking dishes and his penalties make him feel like a bad but also boring support character.

Personally I haven't struggled too much with the picky eater penalty, you just have to be creative. But if you don't like creative cooking that much it's possible to eat only meaty stews without any penalty at all if you wait until you almost starve and then eat the next one.

Archived