Fishsticks or Pierogi?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Fishsticks and Pierogi restore the same things. Which one do you guys prefer and why?

• Fishsticks
    • Pierogi
    • Both
    • Neither
    • Depends

Pierogis for sure; it has twice the shelf life of fish sticks and takes less time to gather the ingredients.

Fishsticks require a fish + a stick + 2 filler; the latter 3 are easy to get, but the fish is a pain to mass-gather, especially when you need silk for the fishing rod anyways.

Pierogis require a meat + egg (the equivalent of 2 monster meat) + a veggie + a filler; I don't think I need to explain how easy monster meat is to get (spiders), and you can find veggies everywhere in the form of carrots, cactus, or wormwood crops.

A lot of people said it already but I'll say it again, I rarely find myself making fishsticks, but I usually have a bundle on me that has stack of pierogi (unless I'm playing Wurt or Wormwood). Pierogis are just too convenient to mass craft.

Perhaps with a Wurt friend commiting merm massacres, mass cooking fishsticks could be a thing, but usually a Wurt would do such a thing to trade the fish for tentacle spots, so you meat eaters won't be the first choice to get the fish (you will most likely get a ton of frog legs though, which, you can turn into pierogi :D ). If you switch to Wurt to make a merm farm of some kind, you also are better off making surf and turf instead.

So the way I see it Fishsticks are an occasional thing you do once and then, and for usual cheap healing, or as an HP reserve, you carry around either Pierogis or Surf n Turf. (Again, unless you are Wurt who can't eat that, Or Wormwood, that despite being able to eat it, gets less benefits for doing so)

Even though Fishsticks has a simple recipe it actually takes a lot to get them in good quantity because fish take so long to catch, and require silks.  Catching a bird takes about as much as making 1 fishing pole, and the other resources you'll have on hand anyway as you build your base.  Most things you do in game produce meat, and with stone fruit added in... vegies are in no short supply...  Perogies are the natural choice.

Before you are set up for perogies I think Trail Mix takes the win in easy healing.  As you're harvesting logs for your base anyway just hit up some birch trees and berry bushes.

Fishsticks spoil faster and take longer to cook than pierogi and even though it's easier to fulfill their recipe meats, eggs and vegetables are easier to obtain than fish MOST OF THE TIME, however they are much better for occasional use when you managed to get fish. When I was trying out Warly back when he got added to DST, I found myself relying on Fishsticks for healing because fish is easier to get than eggs if you live as nomad.

Surf'n'Turf only restores 1,5 health value of Fishsticks while requiring 3 regular fishes instead of 1. I'd cook those only for sanity gain, health is more like a bonus to me.

And personally Trail Mix is the way to go when it comes to mass healing - very fast to cook and ingredients are easy to obtain - 1 cooked birchnut, 2 berries, 1 twig for easy 30 hp. Also, the eating animation is short unlike meat recipes which is handy for boss fights. While birchnuts can't be gathered during winter, they spoil for 40 days in ice box in their uncooked form so can make it through winter if obtained in autumn. Bonus - you can keep Trail Mix in your inventory if you use bunnymen to help you out.

Archived