Klei owning all mod?

Hi, I see this mod

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1163019698

and I read Klei owns all mod or ownership of all mods. Can someone tell me what this means? Is klei basically steal any original artwork or sounds you make and say they own it cause you put it in a mod or it just talking about the code parts because if klei is “owning” anyone is stuff they made when put it in a mod that is very scummy and make me lose lot of respect for this company that they are basically stealing people’s hard work...

• Developer
54 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

Hi, I see this mod

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1163019698

and I read Klei owns all mod or ownership of all mods. Can someone tell me what this means? Is klei basically steal any original artwork or sounds you make and say they own it cause you put it in a mod or it just talking about the code parts because if klei is “owning” anyone is stuff they made when put it in a mod that is very scummy and make me lose lot of respect for this company that they are basically stealing people’s hard work...

This guy decided he was done modding, but didn't want to come off bad so he lied about the reasons why, there hasn't been any eula changes in recent history, either way the reason any company would put such a clause in is to protect themselves from(for instance) a modder separately makes and releases content that is near identical to some new(at the time unreleased) RoT content, without that clause the modder could theoretically sue klei for copyright infringement, by blanket claiming ownership, they prevent this, in addition, if they decide they want to add some feature from a mod, and the author is long gone, they aren't locked in a bad place were they can't do that. TL;DR most companies that have games you can mod have some clause like this in their eula so that they can't get locked out of making content someone else thought of first, if I remember correctly, they don't have an ownership clause, but they do have something that prevents anybody from suing them in relation to any mods created for Don't Starve (Together).

• Like 1