Are you satisfied with hamlet?

JosePapp

I don't really have anything to add because a lot of my issues with Hamlet have already been said but It's a real a damn shame that they won't be updating Hamlet or singleplayer Don't Starve for that matter.

I usually don't have anyone to play DST with or have good enough internet so Hamlet is my only way to scratch that Don't Starve itch but after a full year of in-game survival you start to feel a bit bored and run out of things to do. Initially I was very hyped for the Aporkalypse happening and I was, because the mood and atmosphere was very good up until I started hearing the regular Don't Starve autumn music play and the only real threat being the endless waves of 20 bats each day and the Ancient Herald (who doesn't even pose much of a threat unless you attack him).

I would world hop but Shipwrecked has lost it's steam with me and I feel like Reign of Giants is kind of obsolete now that DST has waaay more content now.

I guess all I really want now at this point is just a Quality of Life update or just add the unimplemented content.

People complain that adding too many things from DST wouldn’t make sense lore-wise, but who really cares anymore? Single Player DS lost any sense of lore canon a long time ago, and I bet I’m not the only one who would pay Klei good money if they ported every last drop of DST content over to DS (albeit with some balance changes).

Edit: Hey @JoeW, this seems to be a pretty popular quote, *ahem* maybe that's a hint... :wilsondisapproving:

On 3/23/2020 at 12:20 AM, SpoonyBardIV said:

I bet I’m not the only one who would pay Klei good money if they ported every last drop of DST content over to DS (albeit with some balance changes).

Tbh most of the things from dst wouldn't really fit singleplayer. Speaking about the bosses and such ofc. Stuff like fences, gates has been ported to ds and I believe that more things like this would be better to port. Regrowth mechanic, moon dial, no overheating in caves etc.

Those would polish the vanilla/RoG gameplay.

But in the end what's the point of doing all of that untill Don't Starve's engine and coding isn't overhauled to match that of dst's. After all the engine and money were most likely the reason Hamlet turned out how it turned out.

Sorry for necro'ing the thread

Some responses from Joe about this from the Steam Forums:

Hey - So the thing is, we said the game was done when we moved over to work on DST but we enlisted CAPY to work on SW for us. THEN, for funsies we worked on Hamlet as kind of an experiment with the team that was working with CAPY for SW.

That's kind of hard to see for the newer players, but technically we have been "done" with Don't Starve for quite a while. But we might do something at some point. After all, in the past when we said no more updates we ended up doing them later at some point.

But right now, other than some porting partners working on Hamlet ports, we don't have anything else being worked on for singleplayer.

and regarding porting content between both games (HAM+SW to DST in OP's context)

Don't Starve Together is balanced and designed for multiple players, Don't Starve was balanced and designed for Single player. While they may appear to be similar games, but DST was rebuilt entirely to allow multiplayer, the content was designed for multiple players.

Bringing over either one of these would take many months to accomplish and the game wouldn't necessarily be better for it since the content was designed for single player a ton of work would need to be done to get everything in line for multiplayer.

So even at that point, they wouldn't be the same. We would have made entirely different choices when designing the game with multiplayer in mind.

More or less, working on singleplayer again is not impossible, but it's not currently what they are working on. Don't take this as 100% confirmation. 

guess the devs had been done with DS since 2013 when DST started out, no wonder some bugs from that never ever got fixed.

either way it seems funsies can still generate an entire DLC and even ported content from the latest game.

lets hope klei gets the urge for this type of funsies again.

Spoiler

p.s thank you very much @oCrapaCreeper for posting this here, nobody would have noticed and kept asking for updates 

7 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

THEN, for funsies we worked on Hamlet as kind of an experiment

huh

so the dlc came to be for funsies

Well whatever. If that's how the singleplayer situation looks like then devs should either let it finally die or actually put a lot of effort and money to make it capable of handling more dlcs. No more trying to force a modern dlc into this old engine

On 6/17/2020 at 3:11 AM, Szczuku said:

huh

so the dlc came to be for funsies

Well whatever. If that's how the singleplayer situation looks like then devs should either let it finally die or actually put a lot of effort and money to make it capable of handling more dlcs. No more trying to force a modern dlc into this old engine

Honestly? I own shipwrecked, I own Hamlet.. but I don’t really care to play either of them, Because I have to play them Single Player.. and Without my custom skins and belongings, and what’s worst of all without the Character Reworks..

Falling in love with “No longer Dumb Abigail” as a Wendy Main and then having to go back to her being dumb again in newly released Hamlet for Xbox One.. it.. it just sucks. I have no utility or control over her and it’s Awful!

The Expansion is pretty fun.. it has a lot of interesting features that SHOULD be ported over to DST- Things like a Poison Dart frogs, Sickly Biomes, Hell man even the TALL Grass (which can’t be picked by hand and instead has to be chopped with a machete and if you burn it it lasts for incredibly short duration.. UNLIKE DST, where burning a single blade of grass can burn long enough to get you past night.)

I am very much aware that SW and Ham was never designed with 6+ players in mind.. but they could probably easily handle 2-3 player. 

What SHOULD Happen (& until someone at Klei straight up shatters my dreams and comes out and says it’s NEVER going to happen!.. I will keep hoping for) is That The DLC content packs I bought someday becomes Compatible with DST.

Why? Easy really.

#1- At the very least two player Coop Play. 
#2- You can use the awesome no longer Dumb Abigail from Wendy’s DST Rework. #3- You can PLAY and ENJOY your DLC Expansions and still get time played in DST towards unlocking your weekly Curio packages.

And #4- Not being able to change the clothing my characters wear is just idk.. it’s hard to go back to Single Player DS.. :( 

Regardless of ALL That and being absolutely spoiled by how much better than Solo DS, DST is... I still bought Hamlet Yesterday on the off chance that it actually DOES become compatible with DST.

And if they can grant players free access to Wormwood (if you bought Hamlet) Then- The games are ALREADY reading each other in some way right?? 

9 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I like hamlet a lot but im not happy because playing a long term world in this dlc feels like something is missing

IT feels like the updates got cut short. How many updates did Shipwrecked get in comparison to Hamlet?

3 hours ago, minespatch said:

IT feels like the updates got cut short. How many updates did Shipwrecked get in comparison to Hamlet?

Idk hamlet was release meanwhile my computer wasnt in my town so i miss all the info. I read all the things thst happend to warbucks and the stop of updates few month ago xD

I would change a little the ancient herald and how works his loot (or adding more loot because more than 1 cloak is no sense and i really like the aporkalipsis) and i would add a season or add a danger in lush season (maybe plage of flytraps over all the map or something) becausw lush season is autumn 2.0 when you have the food for it. I like the seasons but being so short and only 3 becames so repetitive and i like building my own town but i need some adrenaline between grinding materials (vampire bats are to dumb)

Considering that Hamlet was released on Xbox about a week ago (and coming to other consoles soon) Klei didn’t just abandon Hamlet and say “Well okay we’re done with that, it’ll forever remain on PC only and we won’t release it elsewhere.”

My biggest dream is that they will update the single player DLC Expansions to become compatible with the Multiplayer version of DS. I keep saying this over and over and over again but I’m looking at it from a much bigger picture than most everyone else is.

Klei has stated that when they created DST they wanted that game to be Crossplatform capable, why & how is that important to Hamlet? I’ll tell you Why..

Imagine DST becoming like Elder Scrolls Online, Ark Survival Evolved, Minecraft, GTA Online, Rainbow Six Siege.

(The TL:DR- Games that continue to add more and more content and expand and evolve into something new and different over years worth of time.)

I said that DST had the POTENTIAL to compete right beside Minecraft & GTA Online, Because THIS is what I was envisioning for its future-

Imagine.. being able to turn on DST- and then in world gen settings choosing to load that world up as the following options-

Vanilla Reign of Giants DS (with the Cardboard cutout sea and the obstacles like obsidian pillars or Rocks blocking game progress)

DST (With The added sailable Sea and Return of Them Content)

DS Shipwrecked (where the whole game is pretty much spent at sea with tiny islands everywhere)

DS Hamlet- (horrible new stuffs that wants you dead like walking piranha plants and biomes that are toxic to wander around in without protection) 

Imagine being able to play A Hamlet world save, but still use your skins and belongings and invite a friend or two to join you in your adventures in a Hamlet save.

I’ve been playing ALOT of DS Giant Edition lately.. and I’m noticing how much “Better” DST COULD be if it just did some of the stuff DS Giant Edition does..

(toggle boxes to determine what version of the game you want to play, Access to ALL the games characters regardless of what DLC they’re originally from- In any of the other versions of the game.)

I repeat myself like a broken record over and over and over again BECAUSE Klei has already acknowledge that the future of DS is highly likely to be Crossplay between consoles...

They HAVE Their version of GTA Online, they HAVE Their Version of Minecraft Bedrock Edition.....

The Question now is- What exactly do they plan to do with it?

On 6/16/2020 at 5:26 PM, oCrapaCreeper said:

THEN, for funsies we worked on Hamlet

Wow. I'm so glad I gave Klei my money so that they could fool us with an unfinished DLC that they only made as an "experiment". You know what, Klei? You can forget about having any of my money ever again. I'm done with you. You guys have really let DS players down in such an enormous way, and it is absolutely shameful. I hope one day that this comes back and bites you in the ass.

EDIT: Yes, I'm salty. And I'm allowed to be. Klei can't just expect us to be happy when they abandon a game before it is completely finished.

EDIT 2: And the fact that Klei is just abandoning the game without any further thought is just sad! One of their "reasons" for halting work on the game is that the engine is too old to work with efficiently, so why don't they just give DS one last push with an engine update? If they updated the engine to the one DST uses, they could work on updates for both games at once and satisfy both communities!

EDIT 3: *Sigh* I'm sorry. Maybe I was a bit harsh in my original post... But that still doesn't excuse Klei for completely giving up on DS and its players. If they're going to stop working on the game, the least they could do is deliver the content they promised, and maybe fix a few bugs before they completely stop. @JoeW, maybe that's something you might consider?

5 hours ago, Machine Reaper said:

what sort of variety are we talking about here?

If you are talking about which origin mangoes. Then the only right choice would be from warm climate, around the equator. Fitting for hamlet, that's exactly where we are. And the closer the origin of the tree to the equator, the more ripe and delicious the fruit will be.

I do not recommend eating any mango without a hint of yellow in it. Even if it is ripe. A European mango is a disgrace to the actual taste you could actually acquire. In my time abroad in Russia, I've bought only one mango to try out and it was the last one I purchased. Russia is more north pole than northern heimsphere. And the fruit tasted more like unripe cantaloupe than a mango. When I was in the United Kingdom. I had a fruit salad with mango in it. It was told it had no sugar. While the taste of the salad was fine, the mango pieces in were as stiff as an apple.

I know what I'm saying is obvious, the further you are apart from the poles, the juicier the fruit will be, But it bums me out when I've met a lot of people across the world who have disliked the taste of this fruit because they couldn't taste a proper one.

6 hours ago, Ryde said:

If you are talking about which origin mangoes. Then the only right choice would be from warm climate, around the equator. Fitting for hamlet, that's exactly where we are. And the closer the origin of the tree to the equator, the more ripe and delicious the fruit will be.

I do not recommend eating any mango without a hint of yellow in it. Even if it is ripe. A European mango is a disgrace to the actual taste you could actually acquire. In my time abroad in Russia, I've bought only one mango to try out and it was the last one I purchased. Russia is more north pole than northern heimsphere. And the fruit tasted more like unripe cantaloupe than a mango. When I was in the United Kingdom. I had a fruit salad with mango in it. It was told it had no sugar. While the taste of the salad was fine, the mango pieces in were as stiff as an apple.

I know what I'm saying is obvious, the further you are apart from the poles, the juicier the fruit will be, But it bums me out when I've met a lot of people across the world who have disliked the taste of this fruit because they couldn't taste a proper one.

I come from a contrary inside the equator AND we have Mango season going, RIPE AND JUICY!
actually there are two varieties we have, one is a Big and fleshy one and the other is small and green which is very sweet and juicy.

however incase of HAM I don't think Mangoes will be possible in the climate it has, Mangoes requires temps in the range of 50c to 40c and only start ripening properly around start of june, its pretty sizzling hot here and enough to burn stuff and explode spray cans (similar to RoG Summer)

On 7/17/2020 at 4:59 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t know where to post this... but Hamlet has officially been confirmed as Coming to Both PS4 AND Nintendo Switch!

We all knew it was coming to PS4, but Klei said nothing about Switch until now.. :D 

C1DD1242-5BB9-4FB8-BC4C-F3703307F342.png

you think that they'd might release another last update as they release Hamlet on those platforms also? Final hope we'd get something new :c

10 minutes ago, Mantas said:

you think that they'd might release another last update as they release Hamlet on those platforms also? Final hope we'd get something new :c

It’s hard to say WHAT Klei will do- I mean just the other day they released a Quality of Life update to single player Don’t Starve that added the ability to tame Beefalo, build fences, and fence doors.. 

A game that’s been out since 2013.. got a new update, Usually a company just discontinues support for a game and moves on to the next big thing.

So for THAT I will forever admire Klei..

when I look at games like Injustice 2 which I paid well over 100$ for when it released, they could’ve done more for it.. they put Justice League movie skins in the game that look nothing at all like the actual movie characters (Aquaman never got a Jason Momoa head..) Despite the fact they advertised them, to top that off the FREE mobile App of Injustice 2 actually DOES have the real skins.

So- As you can tell by now I’m never buying another NRS game for as long as I live.

It is Entirely possible that Klei does more for Hamlet after it’s released on all consoles, But don’t take my word for it.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s hard to say WHAT Klei will do- I mean just the other day they released a Quality of Life update to single player Don’t Starve that added the ability to tame Beefalo, build fences, and fence doors.. 

A game that’s been out since 2013.. got a new update, Usually a company just discontinues support for a game and moves on to the next big thing.

So for THAT I will forever admire Klei.

I also greatly admire this, but the problem is obvious here,

there aren't many players on DS anymore, most people have moved on to other games and it seems less reputable to be updating a game that very few people play.

DST has become too advanced that any player getting back to DS from DST will feel quite...ancient playing DS.
(Which was the obvious reason Klei decided to finally push out QoLs for DS while developing HAM cause the old engine was too old)

in the end its completely upto Klei,

personally I don't see any further updates happening cause DS either needs a complete update to bring to levels of DST (skins, events and all)

OR DST gets updated with HAM and SW content which will even force players like me to get on DST completely.
(SW content is already added by now since The return of Them)

however as I said, its upto to Klei~

Spoiler

I mean can you imagine players could jump across different Servers in DST and link to eachother's Worlds in such a way?

seems quite stupid but incredible none the less

Archived