Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

psusi

Cooling robo miners

psusi    189

I'm trying to figure out how to cool some robo miners in vacuum for a shove vole ranch.  If I understand correctly, they do not exchange heat with the tile they touch, but only any gas or liquid in the tiles the occupy.  In addition, since they need to face down so they can clear tiles underneath them, you can't just drop some water on the floor, so how can you keep them cool?

0rutyna0    524
4 minutes ago, psusi said:

I'm trying to figure out how to cool some robo miners in vacuum for a shove vole ranch.  If I understand correctly, they do not exchange heat with the tile they touch, but only any gas or liquid in the tiles the occupy.  In addition, since they need to face down so they can clear tiles underneath them, you can't just drop some water on the floor, so how can you keep them cool?

As an option: rebuild when it approaches the temperature overheat.

whodunit    9

since voles don't get overcrowded, you could make the ranch the minimum size and have the miners outside. This way they don't need to face down.  

You could also just have the ranch in a steam chamber, cooled by a turbine. I haven't tried this one yet but don't see why it wouldn't work

Gurgel    1401

For Shove Vole farms, the only viable option seems to be to have some gas in there, since you need the minor on the walls or the ceiling. 

psusi    189
56 minutes ago, whodunit said:

since voles don't get overcrowded, you could make the ranch the minimum size and have the miners outside. This way they don't need to face down.  

I'm pretty sure they can't mine through walls.

54 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

For Shove Vole farms, the only viable option seems to be to have some gas in there, since you need the minor on the walls or the ceiling. 

Yea, I'm planning on cooling the regolith in a steam chamber first before dropping it to the voles to eat, so I guess I can just keep the ranch at 125 C with some steam in there.

On another subject, if you just let the regolith sit in the steam on top of a door it won't radiate heat very fast right?  But if you have a triple door and crush the regolith in the middle door, it won't delete it but instead will exchange heat with the door rapidly?  Then once it's cooled down and made steam for your rocket, you can open the door and drop it down to the voles?

Coolthulhu    1045

I cool mine by puffing small amounts of oxygen on them. The miners have some drywall behind them so that the oxygen won't despawn immediately.

10g/s is 1/10 of a dupe, but still enough for 6 miners or so, provided that the gas pipes are in vacuum or cool tiles (otherwise the oxygen can get too hot).

psusi    189

Weird.. I've been testing in sandbox and it seems that a horizontal door when it closes on a regolith tile will destroy it outright if it can't exit the side ( even if top is unblocked ).  Regoligth debris though it does not destroy.  Being in the closed door does seem to improve the heat transfer somewhat, but it is still rather slow.  As in 20t of 300 C regolith still takes a dozen cycles or so to boil 2t of 95 C water and heat the steam to 120 C.  Without the doors the steam is still at 106 or so, so not a huge improvement.

whodunit    9
9 hours ago, psusi said:

I'm pretty sure they can't mine through walls.

I mean through a steel pneumatic door.

9 hours ago, psusi said:

On another subject, if you just let the regolith sit in the steam on top of a door it won't radiate heat very fast right?  But if you have a triple door and crush the regolith in the middle door, it won't delete it but instead will exchange heat with the door rapidly?  Then once it's cooled down and made steam for your rocket, you can open the door and drop it down to the voles?

Yeah I remember reading couple of posts about this. But honestly, I can't imagine it providing enough power for it to be worth it. Besides, power isn't even an issue anyway at the time when you're ranching voles. Also voles excrete at their body temp, so they're likely to kill the temp differential.so unless there're separate chambers for heat extraction and ranching, it's unlikely to provide any meaningful power.

psusi    189
6 hours ago, whodunit said:

Yeah I remember reading couple of posts about this. But honestly, I can't imagine it providing enough power for it to be worth it. Besides, power isn't even an issue anyway at the time when you're ranching voles. Also voles excrete at their body temp, so they're likely to kill the temp differential.so unless there're separate chambers for heat extraction and ranching, it's unlikely to provide any meaningful power.

Yea, the purpose is more to generate steam for the first rockets, but it takes forever for the heat to transfer so it doesn't seem worth the bother.  I think I'm just going to give up on using the heat from the regolith and just destroy it.  With the door sweeper under the bunker tiles, that will destroy most of it, and what is left maybe I can drop into a shove vole ranch.  I'm not sure if I want to use more doors to destroy it or the robo miners and just let the shove voles keep eating it for meat.

6 hours ago, whodunit said:

I mean through a steel pneumatic door.

Any reason for steel?  So make the ceiling entirely out of pneumatic doors and put the robo miner above them?  I guess I could leak a little oxygen to cool it.

Gurgel    1401
1 hour ago, psusi said:

Yea, the purpose is more to generate steam for the first rockets, but it takes forever for the heat to transfer so it doesn't seem worth the bother. 

I just drop 40t or so of hot Regolith into a chamber, close it and then pump in water and pump out the steam at need. Typically enough to last until the petroleum engine becomes available.

psusi    189
1 minute ago, Gurgel said:

I just drop 40t or so of hot Regolith into a chamber, close it and then pump in water and pump out the steam at need. Typically enough to last until the petroleum engine becomes available.

Really?  Wow.. testing that in sandbox it seemed like it would take a dozen cycles to get 2t of steam. I guess now that I look at it the rocket holds 700 kg and you can only launch it every 4 cycles ( 3 for trip, 1 for refuel ).  So maybe that is about fast enough.. maybe I could start making glass for the solar panels and use that to boil water too if I want to keep two rockets operating.

whodunit    9
4 hours ago, psusi said:

Yea, the purpose is more to generate steam for the first rockets

oh my bad, I didn't read it right. Steam is pretty easy to get honestly, I just make a small chamber under the bunker doors, use a couple diamond temp shift plates and you can get 2t steam almost every cycle.

4 hours ago, psusi said:

Any reason for steel?  So make the ceiling entirely out of pneumatic doors and put the robo miner above them?  I guess I could leak a little oxygen to cool it.

Voles can't path through anything made out of refined metals and obsidian. So if a single pneumatic door is left "automatic", voles can't path through it even when a dupe passes through it and opens it temporarily. Mesh tile so the hot regolith doesn't transfer it's heat, door is raised 1 tile because voles sometimes poop inside the door if it's level with the floor. And the miner is kept chill because voles poop at their body temp which usually is 20c when voles are born in vacuum.This is just a basic version, you can expand it to whatever you like.

20191216140322_1.jpg

20191216140505_1.jpg

psusi    189
55 minutes ago, whodunit said:

And the miner is kept chill because voles poop at their body temp which usually is 20c when voles are born in vacuum

Ohh... interesting.  Is that only after you get some new born ones in captivity?  i.e. wild ones tunneling through the hot regolith on the surface are heated by it aren't they?  I guess I will have to go check.

whodunit    9
59 minutes ago, psusi said:

Ohh... interesting.  Is that only after you get some new born ones in captivity?  i.e. wild ones tunneling through the hot regolith on the surface are heated by it aren't they?  I guess I will have to go check.

yup wild ones are heated by the hot solid regolith tiles but it doesn't take long to get new eggs once you're ranching