Rook Now Playable!

Kevin

• Developer

release_poster_12-12-19.png

Hey Grifters,

Griftlands' second character, Rook, is now playable. You can play through the first two days of his story in an all-new location, Grout Bog. Rook has new card sets for both negotiation and combat that take advantage of several unique mechanics.

I'd like to send out a big thanks to our players - your feedback is very, very helpful when trying to balance and tune a game with as many moving parts as Griftlands. Rook has only been played internally and by QA so far, so please send us as all of the feedback that you have, both here and in-game. 

Our next big update will be Jan 23, and will focus on fleshing out more of Rook's world. We will probably push an experimental build later today with a sneak peek of what's upcoming.

Oh, and we also made this, as an introduction to the character:

Full patch notes:

Spoiler
  • Added Rook

Hi, Kevin. First, I want to say thank you for a cool game (Yes, I'm from Russia), and secondly, I would like to ask you if you will do the open world of all three characters when their storylines end? For example, different side tasks to earn money, and then spend it on new cards and improvements, to establish relationships with other game characters. It would be very cool if after passing the final day the game does not end just like that!

Is it intentional that Rook doesn't get Boss grafts, at least for the first 2 days?

EDIT: I’m enjoying the charge mechanic, and the interplay between coins and gamble.

I feel like Rook starts hella weak in negotiations compared to Sal though, although he catches up if you power through the first few. It’s especially painful against Jakes because of their special ability, and the very weak composure cards Rook starts with. It’s noteworthy because early game Sal can handle about any negotiation the game throws at her even at maximum prestige, while I almost lost my second negotiation with Rook at prestige 0. Sample size of 1 though, so take with a grain of salt.

There seems to be a near-infinite loop if you get Thought Reverser, Gab, and Cranial Patch. Any Gamble which results in a Head can trigger Gab as a result of Thought Reverse preparing the card draw from Cranial Patch, which leads to replaying Gab (when it's already been played and should be in the discard pile), which can lead to more heads and more Gab replays even when it should be in discard.

Unsurprisingly this makes negotiations take longer than necessary.

• Developer

I was thinking of something witty to reply with, but then I got a notification that our robo-tester just found a crash bug in one of this morning's "fixes". Now I'm in a race to push a fix before any real players encounter it! :)

Good job, I like the triple agent thingy, and how Rook is so different from Sal. I wasn't very convinced by the negotiation system he gets, because he is very weak early on, but becomes much more consistent afterwards (especially when you get influence at the start of battles). I've done only a run in prestige 1 so far, so it is a bit too early to judge the balance of his cards (since I don't have access to all of them yet), but I like it so far. Keep up the good work, I really love the animations, and that blend of rogue like and story driven game. I love the universe, and the graphics. Looking forward to see what's next!

Spoiler

PS: It was nice to meet Sal in a side mission!

To be honest, I'm not having nearly as much fun with Rook's gameplay mechanics. I know it's more of a learning curve to get a functional negotiation deck for him, but a bit too convoluted to be fun. Sal's deck mechanics were fun. Rook's seem more like a chore. 

Adding that if my first experience playing Griftlands was with Rook's cards, I'd probably have a much lower opinion of the game and may not have put nearly as many hours into it. Great work on everything else, but a redesign here might be a good idea. 

I like Rook more than Sal since she's way too straight forward, but I'd prefer if there are longer content to play with Rook. Instead of adding more and more feature, shouldn't we be focusing on longer campaign instead?

Archived