Kilns in a vaccum

If you place a bead of liquid on the floor and actively cool the floor, then you can have the kiln in a vacuum.  If you don't have a bead of liquid on the floor to exchange heat with the tile beneath it, then your kiln will explode in the vacuum.

20 minutes ago, TheEvilMango said:

I remember a while back there was a post about kilns not heating up if in a vaccum but I can't seem to find it. Do any of u all know what I'm talking about and if so could u tell me if it still works and how it works?

I'm using this and it's juste disapear when it overheat.

6 hours ago, angrybovine said:

I recall seeing a video of someone using a kiln in a vacuum so much until it melted into refined metal.

Francis John. This is how you use molten steel as coolant in a metal refinery to run through pipes to a radiant pipe segment to melt Gravitas buildings.

6 hours ago, SamLogan said:

I'm using this and it's juste disapear when it overheat.

It probably is actually melting, but the mass of the kiln is so low that it just vanishes into space like any other liquid.

Since there is no overheat temperature for kilns, you can just pick a cheap material with a high melting point like iron, or if you are rich then something like steel/wolframite, and not worry about when it vanishes.

On 12/5/2019 at 6:20 PM, angrybovine said:

I recall seeing a video of someone using a kiln in a vacuum so much until it melted into refined metal.

The ice-make does the same, incidentally. Never overheats, just eventually melts.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:01 AM, TheEvilMango said:

I can't seem to find it.

It was my post. I don't think may people have used/abused/exploited/known about the issue.

i discovered this because I wanted to boil a tiny amount of crude into petro (didn't want to bother with an oil refinery for 100g of petro), so I figured I'd use a kiln to do the heating.  It fails, because of a heat transfer mechanic that occurs for small volume substances (<1500g, see the post above, and R9MX4's (FIXBUGFIXBUGFIX) comments). Last I checked (it has been a month), this was still in the game.  It's been there for more than 2 years (maybe even since the beginning), just not well known. 

You can abuse this pretty drastically by placing your kilns in 10g liquid (smart batteries, tepidizers, and more - not metal refineries).  Anyone who thinks they are controlling their batteries or kilns by placing them in a small amount of liquid, and then cooling the liquid, is flat out deceived. They just don't realize they are abusing this temp clamping.

Is it a bug?  Not sure. It seems to me like an intentionally designed mechanic to prevent small liquids that pass by machines from instantly vaporizing. It also stops you from getting a 20g blob of CO2 (exhaled by a dupe) from suddenly jumping to 6000K.  Can it be abused to run rows of kilns, with 100% uptime, and have practically no heat added?  Yep! Why cool things down with an aquatuner when you can prevent them from heating up. Just  dropping 10g of liquid on it. If the surrounding environment is a very minute amount of gas, the same thing happens. 

This exploit requires at least one blob of something to be over the machine. If you run the kiln in pure vacuum, then all heat goes to the machine and it melts down (as stated above by others).

I've explored this issue a lot more since the post above.  The vacuum setup requires at minimum a single tiny blob (10g) of liquid over one tile of the base of the machine.  The rest can be in vacuum. I find it simpler nowadays to just cover the desired machine completely in stacks of 10g liquid. For example, I'll put a layer of 10g of crude, topped with 10g of petro, over all my kilns (which can be done in lots of ways to get exactly 10g). I use petro and crude so that a dupe who walks through with a 200C block of regolith won't vaporize my 10g water-flavor layers. 

You can even drop pacus in the room and they will happily live, and never move, in the lower 10g liquid. You can then double your kiln room as a pacu room (but beware of the dreaded gulp fish, as they will convert your crude to water, and screw everything up).

Have fun. Hope this helped. 

On 12/7/2019 at 11:23 AM, mathmanican said:

beware of the dreaded gulp fish, as they will convert your crude to water

Wait, what? Gulp fish convert crude oil to water?

I knew they would convert polluted water, but crude to water doesn't seem correct.

Archived