How do you feel about Winona now?

How's Winona after all this time?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Does Winona need a re-rework?

• Yes, rework her entirely
    • Sort of, give her perks a rebalance (think Woodie's post-rework rebalance)
    • No, she's fine as she is

I simply just do NOT at all like the idea of people playing as Winona long enough to build a few things from her kit and then immediately swapping to a superior character.

Thats my problem- If your gonna take Advantage of Winona’s kit, I should be able to pick up Lucy and go ham on a few trees, or summon Abigail for Spider farming.

I am not saying destroy all Winona Structures, someone else said that.. I’m simply saying Force all of Winona’s Structures to have to be powered by her Generator/Gem-er-rator and that no other character in the game can fuel or power them.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I simply just do NOT at all like the idea of people playing as Winona long enough to build a few things from her kit and then immediately swapping to a superior character.

Thats my problem- If your gonna take Advantage of Winona’s kit, I should be able to pick up Lucy and go ham on a few trees, or summon Abigail for Spider farming.

I am not saying destroy all Winona Structures, someone else said that.. I’m simply saying Force all of Winona’s Structures to have to be powered by her Generator/Gem-er-rator and that no other character in the game can fuel or power them.

only letting winona refuel her generators would be the most unfun and uncooperative way to fix her character in the sense that people dont swap her, what she would need is something that actively makes her fun or interesting to play so you play her more, something along the lines of faster crafting but more extreme

37 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

That's kinda even worse isn't it?  Like even if she is in the game currently, being played full time, all of her team mates need her to run around just powering generators for whatever they're doing...  Pass.

I don't think the right question is "why would you switch to this character" but more "why would you switch away."

People main Wes.  Think about that for a second...  People log in and love playing Wes.  People don't switch off of playing Winona because they need Wolfgang, or need something else.  No character needs any perk.  What people switch away from is a tedious crafting / hunger penalty that doesn't really bring any positive value to the game.  Crafting fast is useful in few situations, but the crafting penalty for being hungry can be very severe - like when you're in the middle of a boss battle or hound wave and need to craft a new weapon / armor.

Forcing people to use Winona to fuel the catapults isn't going to make people play and stay as Winona, its going to make people pass over her completely.  The catapults aren't worth her crafting penalty.

I agree, but then you have to realize that Winona's machines aren't really that interesting.
Not much I really have to say that hasn't been said a thousand times. In this thread alone, even.

I think this thread has honestly gotten the concepts for a dream Winona down.

All I want is more exclusivity to fueling her machines, some sort of way to store energy without it being used, a buff for the spotlight, and some interesting new machines.

5 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Because she's Charlie's sister, so it's only fitting for her to have a structure that helps with darkness.

But the Spotlight is very linked to theatre and hasn't got much connection with the factory worker that Winona is...

Not that I want this, but it feels like an item more suited for Wigfrig's lore?

9 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

But the Spotlight is very linked to theatre and hasn't got much connection with the factory worker that Winona is...

Not that I want this, but it feels like an item more suited for Wigfrig's lore?

It fits Charlie's lore..

4 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

It fits Charlie's lore..

Maybe.. I guess?? If she wants to kill her sister (the light kills the darkness and Charlie IS Darkness..)

to me it sounds more fitting as a Stationary turret that doesn’t actually fire bullets but instead when Winona Shines it onto Wigfrid her “Stage Performance Act” is kicked up a notch because well uhh she’s a Stage Actor in the Spotlight? Come on man it’s perfect.

Maybe.. I guess?? If she wants to kill her sister (the light kills the darkness and Charlie IS Darkness..)

to me it sounds more fitting as a Stationary turret that doesn’t actually fire bullets but instead when Winona Shines it onto Wigfrid her “Stage Performance Act” is kicked up a notch because well uhh she’s a Stage Actor in the Spotlight? Come on man it’s perfect.

It doesn't necessarily KILL Charlie, moreso eliminates the ability to perceive her, which makes her unable to attack

...I think if she had her speed-crafting perk all the time and had a completely different downside instead of the current one, that would be a good starting point.
She needs more than that obviously, but I think that that would bring her back up to 'neutral'. Someone that people are ok with actually playing through the game as, even if she's still not the most interesting/entertaining pick for it.

I take it that most of the people who are voting that she's fine as-is are moreso saying 'it isn't a big deal to me'. Not affected because they don't play her, for the most part.
Because regardless of the vote, seeing Winona played on public servers (outside of quick pick-and-swap turret setup at boss areas) is a rarity.
She definitely does have problems that make sticking with her unappealing, and those should be addressed.

So there was some discussion about a spotlight being a boat structure, not gonna lie, if it works about like this:
boatlight.thumb.png.28c217986f12823dabf1b95daa0344e8.png
Controlled by a steering wheel, having a big straight line light radius on the active side (+maybe a small circular area around it so that the boat itself has light on it as well), that'd be a pretty cool structure on its own, which would make sailing at night a lot easier (since with current light sources you can't really see what's in front of the boat at night.
(I'm not tying Winona into this, I'm talking only about the structure itself, which I found pretty interesting of an idea and expanded upon)

16 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m starting to think you just like my Boat item ideas and want everyone to be able to craft them

I recently made a mod that adds floodlight and boat torches: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1910111177 

I feel like game badly needs lightsourses for boats. That's odd to force players play as Winona to use those craftables.

11 hours ago, SonicDen220 said:

So there was some discussion about a spotlight being a boat structure, not gonna lie, if it works about like this:
boatlight.thumb.png.28c217986f12823dabf1b95daa0344e8.png
Controlled by a steering wheel, having a big straight line light radius on the active side (+maybe a small circular area around it so that the boat itself has light on it as well), that'd be a pretty cool structure on its own, which would make sailing at night a lot easier (since with current light sources you can't really see what's in front of the boat at night.
(I'm not tying Winona into this, I'm talking only about the structure itself, which I found pretty interesting of an idea and expanded upon)

Exactly the thing I made. I really want it to be in game officially.

EB0EA070541759E63F72FC87A82E7EAF965D74A8

3 hours ago, Desblat said:

I recently made a mod that adds floodlight and boat torches: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1910111177 

I feel like game badly needs lightsourses for boats. That's odd to force players play as Winona to use those craftables.

Exactly the thing I made. I really want it to be in game officially.

EB0EA070541759E63F72FC87A82E7EAF965D74A8

Technically they are in the game officially- they are called Boat Lanterns. However they are only in the Shipwrecked DLC.... ANYONE should be able to craft and use Boat Lanterns.. Winona’s Spotlight would just be a Superior Quality of Boat Lantern. THAT was what I was aiming for (not Winona being the only one who can have light on the boat lol that would be overpowered and dumb!)

The thing that annoys me most with Winona is her Hunger penalty when crafting things, she starts halfway starving after making a few spears, axes or pickaxes- these are items that players have to make very often and her cost in Hunger to craft them doesn’t make her fun it just makes her highly Annoying. 

However.. Winona is now Officially one of my top 3 favorite characters to play as- she is single handedly the QUEEN of the Winter season.

Why do I say this??

Her Trusty Duct Tape can be used to laughably easily repair Winter Hats and Thermal Heating Stones <3 

Simply throw them on the ground in front of you and then patch it up with some tape.

Now THAT is Overpowered.. but having a slightly better quality Boat Lamp isn’t. 

7 minutes ago, L. Ringmaster said:

Technicality this is a DST thread, so no, they aren't.

Shipwrecked came out in 2015.

Dont Starve Together (advertised as a Sequel of Sorts..) came out in 2017

it is now 2019 most of these Return of Them content Updates are just them expanding upon gameplay features they created back in 2015.

Boats, Sea-Faring, More uses for Fishing Rod. All of it has been done before.

But DST is a SEQUEL..... Of freaking Course I expect features introduced in the original game to carry over into a Sequel, it may not be IDENTICAL to Shipwrecked.. but it’s close enough to tell where the Concept came from.

anyway your completely ignoring the point of this entire Thread-

Winona is the now officially the QUEEN OF WINTER. <3333333

29 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Shipwrecked came out in 2015.

Dont Starve Together (advertised as a Sequel of Sorts..) came out in 2017

Except no, you're using the console release dates again. The DST beta began in December of 2014, while the SW beta began in December of 2015. DST's official release date (April 2016) is one month after SW's (March 2016), but both games got updates afterwards (ANR and Home Sea Home) and DS even got a full DLC in the form of Hamlet (even if it's not on Xbox, Hamlet exists and is relevant in this discussion.)

29 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

it is now 2019 most of these Return of Them content Updates are just them expanding upon gameplay features they created back in 2015.

Boats, Sea-Faring, More uses for Fishing Rod. All of it has been done before.

Except no, these gameplay features are not at all similar unless you simplify them down to "boats and ocean". Shipwrecked didn't even have more uses for the fishing rod, it just introduced two new kinds of ponds that you use the exact same fishing rod on to get reskinned fish. No matter how much you say "RoT is actually just an expansion of SW's mechanics", it doesn't make it actually true.

13 minutes ago, L. Ringmaster said:

Please share your sources. I've never seen anything from Klei advertising DST as a sequel.

I could see where they got that, dst can be seen as sequel becouse the New Reign trailer happening after adventure mode from single player where character was trapped on the nightmare throne then freed my Charlie.

but i don't know when Shipwrecked and Hamlet are happening.

23 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Except no, you're using the console release dates again. The DST beta began in December of 2014, while the SW beta began in December of 2015. DST's official release date (April 2016) is one month after SW's (March 2016), but both games got updates afterwards (ANR and Home Sea Home) and DS even got a full DLC in the form of Hamlet (even if it's not on Xbox, Hamlet exists and is relevant in this discussion.)

Except no, these gameplay features are not at all similar unless you simplify them down to "boats and ocean". Shipwrecked didn't even have more uses for the fishing rod, it just introduced two new kinds of ponds that you use the exact same fishing rod on to get reskinned fish. No matter how much you say "RoT is actually just an expansion of SW's mechanics", it doesn't make it actually true.

Your version of this game and MY version of this game are obviously two very completely different things.

Correct me if I am wrong (which I’m not but feel free to correct it anyway) But when hosting a Non-Shipwrecked world in Single player Don’t Starve you can choose to set that world to be Compatible with Shipwrecked features. Which then puts Wreckage outside of your map in the ocean just out of reach which can be fished out using a special SW fishing rod.

11 minutes ago, Kuba5565 said:

I could see where they got that, dst can be seen as sequel becouse the New Reign trailer happening after adventure mode from single player where character was trapped on the nightmare throne then freed my Charlie.

Actually give me like 15 minutes and I can prove it.

0FCDE478-76BE-45B9-8779-2C8497191F0F.jpeg

EF9D7169-86A0-431E-AD7E-BAA670989DC6.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Correct me if I am wrong (which I’m not but feel free to correct it anyway) But when hosting a Non-Shipwrecked world in Single player Don’t Starve you can choose to set that world to be Compatible with Shipwrecked features. Which then puts Wreckage outside of your map in the ocean just out of reach which can be fished out using a special SW fishing rod.

You are wrong. Slightly before SW was even announced, Wolly's sunken boat was added to worldgen. This sunken boat has flotsam in the ocean nearby, which can be fished up by just clicking on it with the vanilla fishing rod to get special trinkets, grass, twigs, boards, and various other junk items. One of those trinkets (the seaworther, which can also be obtained from hammering the sunken boat) is useless without SW compatibility, since you can't craft the Seaworthy with it, but that's the only way SW compatibility affects it. There is no special SW fishing rod, and the flotsam has existed since before we even knew about SW.

SW compatibility simply allows you to craft the Seaworthy, and causes a bunch of smaller mechanical differences to leak over (items will float in the water rather than sink, wetness and crock pot spoilage will both exist, moleworms exist in vanilla worlds, etc.)

4 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

You are wrong. Slightly before SW was even announced, Wolly's sunken boat was added to worldgen. This sunken boat has flotsam in the ocean nearby, which can be fished up by just clicking on it with the vanilla fishing rod to get special trinkets, grass, twigs, boards, and various other junk items. One of those trinkets (the seaworther, which can also be obtained from hammering the sunken boat) is useless without SW compatibility, since you can't craft the Seaworthy with it, but that's the only way SW compatibility affects it. There is no special SW fishing rod, and the flotsam has existed since before we even knew about SW.

SW compatibility simply allows you to craft the Seaworthy, and causes a bunch of smaller mechanical differences to leak over (items will float in the water rather than sink, wetness and crock pot spoilage will both exist, moleworms exist in vanilla worlds, etc.)

I have come to the conclusion that The only way you will ever see anything from my point of view is by playing the game on Xbox.. lol 

Sadly I can not say ANYTHING at all here without being proven wrong by some hardened PC FACTS that simply do not exist at all whatsoever for the Console versions of the game- the Flotsam that you speak of (thank you for reminding me what that was called by the way) simply does not ever show up at all in a Xbox One console version of Don’t Starve unless you toggle ON Shipwrecked Compatibility.

i apologize for being wrong and I am sorry, But I do not apologize for being a ignorant Xbox Player who does not have and can not provide PC Facts like you can.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I have come to the conclusion that The only way you will ever see anything from my point of view is by playing the game on Xbox.. lol 

Sadly I can not say ANYTHING at all here without being proven wrong by some hardened PC FACTS that simply do not exist at all whatsoever for the Console versions of the game- the Flotsam that you speak of (thank you for reminding me what that was called by the way) simply does not ever show up at all in a Xbox One console version of Don’t Starve unless you toggle ON Shipwrecked Compatibility.

i apologize for being wrong and I am sorry, But I do not apologize for being a ignorant Xbox Player who does not have and can not provide PC Facts like you can.

I've played the game on ps4 and flotsam and the parrot boat spawns without shipwrecked dlc even purchased

9 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

I've played the game on ps4 and flotsam and the parrot boat spawns without shipwrecked dlc even purchased

They do now.. but that’s only after a few patches later. They did not at first- and that’s been my whole point. So please stop laughing at me.. it is rude.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Actually give me like 15 minutes and I can prove it.

A small blurry badge on the title screen of a game you've already bought? I wouldn't call that advertising.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Of freaking Course I expect features introduced in the original game to carry over into a Sequel

I think you will find yourself disappointed if you're expecting DST to incorporate all the features and mechanics of DS and its DLC.

2 minutes ago, L. Ringmaster said:

A small blurry badge on the title screen of a game you've already bought? I wouldn't call that advertising.

I think you will find yourself disappointed if you're expecting DST to incorporate all the features and mechanics of DS and its DLC.

Not all of them,

Boats and an ocean with sealife in it. check.

Fishing Rods that can be used out at sea. Check.

New island Biomes that I can sail my Boat to with new mobs crafting materials and more.. Sort of Check?

the Venomous Spider Warriors and Snakes of Shipwrecked that provide Poison Damage over time to your health Core until you crafted an Anti-Venom to cure it. NOT Check.

^^^ why is this last one NOT patched into the game already..? Spider Warriors are ALREADY in the game and their Bright Green colors usually indicate Poison- Maybe they just decided to turn DST into a Base Building Party Game and remove the Uncompromising part altogether? Checkmate.

Archived