How do you feel about Winona now?

How's Winona after all this time?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Does Winona need a re-rework?

• Yes, rework her entirely
    • Sort of, give her perks a rebalance (think Woodie's post-rework rebalance)
    • No, she's fine as she is

• Winona being able to upgrade/repair WX specifically would only disenfranchise WX players if they don't have Winonas around...
  • I love her Trusty Tape do not take it away, I hate making more than one hat.
  • I also cannot think of a practical use for the Searchlight...

9 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:
  • Winona being able to upgrade/repair WX specifically would only disenfranchise WX players if they don't have Winonas around...
  • I love her Trusty Tape do not take it away, I hate making more than one hat.
  • I also cannot think of a practical use for the Searchlight...

I'm not hoping she'd be able to upgrade him at the same rate that gears do... and you could also say not having a Wickerbottom would only disenfranchise WX-78 and Wurt players. Early on, they were thinking about giving Winona the ability to upgrade multiple characters. For example, Winona being able to give Bernie a cybernetic augmentation or something like that. 

48 minutes ago, O_Atoba_Azul said:

Winona definetly lacks buildings, perhaps she could make boat stuffs, like an proppeler, or something, and more fun machines. perhaps even a thumper, like wagstaff!

I think this is definitely a direction she could go - but I also think we should have a tech tree that anyone can access with more inventive techs.  Perhaps it could be that in your world you could craft either the magic tab OR the tech tab, but not both! Making it a world bound choice for which you will pursue in your game.

I would like her to be more indepth and interesting, but I would hate it for klei to have to go back over her. I think that she probably could use a re-rework, even more extreme than Woodie got. Because her problem isn't that her things are underpowered like rework launch Woodie, it's more because she's a BIT boring. Catapults are very interesting and I would recommend every DST player play one playthrough as a catapult happy Winona or at least have one on their team. It's just there's little use in winona herself aside from speed crafting, which is also handy, but not a game changer. I've noticed that most people tend to like characters that have extreme trends for extreme rewards, wortox's soul mechanics and wormwoods plant tactics traded off for meaningful downsides. I would like Winona to have a larger niche than just speed crafting and catapults, but I would also like her to have a more meaningful downside, so that it adds flavor to the character. (Woodie might could use one of these in human form as well tbh). But I'm afraid that it might be better for a mod creator to do the re-reworking of Winona, rather than Klei, as ROT and the next rework are both on klei's plate now it would seem. And I wouldn't want them to overload themselves.

23 hours ago, Bee2017 said:

1. She can craft things using 1/2 the material without the construction amulet.

If it were limited to say level 1 science items and below I think it'd be a neat perk without making it game breaking. Even if it was just 1/4 it'd be a useful perk.

To make it a bit more interesting and fitting for her character what if this reduction only applies if you're making multiple of the same item with the reasoning being that she's using leftover materials from the previous items to be more efficient.

3 hours ago, ButterStuffed said:

If it were limited to say level 1 science items and below I think it'd be a neat perk without making it game breaking. Even if it was just 1/4 it'd be a useful perk.

To make it a bit more interesting and fitting for her character what if this reduction only applies if you're making multiple of the same item with the reasoning being that she's using leftover materials from the previous items to be more efficient.

Actually a really interesting idea

At this point in time the poll has a larger "leave her as she is" vote count, yet those who want her unchanged remain silent.

I formally invite those who like winona as she is to give your reasons, maybe even your playstyle, so perhaps those that don't agree now, could see positive stuff that maybe are not taken into account.

I’ve spent all night playing as Winona just so that I can come here and post my final thoughts about her here-

1- Make Catapults run only using Winona Generator Power & Make it so that only Winona can fuel the Generator (no more building Catapults then swapping her out cause she has no further use to you) 

2- Smaller items that you have to build often and very regularly such as an Axe and Pickaxe should NOT provide Winona with such a heavy “Oh I Worked now I’m starving” penalty, it just makes her annoying as hell and not much fun to play as at all.

3- Winona’s Spotlight needs to be repurposed as a Boat only Specific item, Only Winona can craft it or operate it, it can only be placed On a Boat and it would act as a personal Boat Lantern and a Spyglass allowing you to see further distances than normal and provide light.

These last two things are NOT in the game but considering Winona’s Playstyle they definitely SHOULD be..

4-When a player joins the game and greifs a base by burning everything Winona should have a GIGANTIC MECHANIC WRENCH that can repair burned structures (it would be just like Woodies Lucy Axe and no one else can pick it up)

-Wickerbottom “That Things way too heavy for me to be carrying”

-Wigfrid “This tool seems incapable of a Warriors Hunt..”

-Wolfgang “Wolfgang Mighty But Wolfgang Doesn’t wanna drop that on Wolfgang Toes!”

Willow- “This Metal tool will not burn.. how boring.”

-Wendy “Yuck it’s covered in grease and Oil there is NO WAY I’m picking that up!”

WX78- “PRIMITIVE CONTRAPTION INCAPABLE OF BASIC WX ROBOT REPAIRS!”

Woodie- “Eh Winona do your tools talk to you too Mate?”

5- And the Perfect Winona Kit Item.. A Giant Mechanical Fan- It would be used as a way to keep cool in Summer if placed on land & reduce Overheating/ Base Wildfires, A Stationary Structure that can be rotated around in a circle to provide a Cone of cool breeze wherever you need it to be.. Can provide further cooling action if Ice is stored into it. But if you place it on a Boat say goodbye to ever needing paddles and sails again because now you got yourself a Mechanical Motor Boat. Powered by Winona’s Generator.

(just try not to smash it into land at break neck speed if you can help it.)

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’ve spent all night playing as Winona just so that I can come here and post my final thoughts about her here-

1- Make Catapults run only using Winona Generator Power & Make it so that only Winona can fuel the Generator (no more building Catapults then swapping her out cause she has no further use to you) 

2- Smaller items that you have to build often and very regularly such as an Axe and Pickaxe should NOT provide Winona with such a heavy “Oh I Worked now I’m starving” penalty, it just makes her annoying as hell and not much fun to play as at all.

3- Winona’s Spotlight needs to be repurposed as a Boat only Specific item, Only Winona can craft it or operate it, it can only be placed On a Boat and it would act as a personal Boat Lantern and a Spyglass allowing you to see further distances than normal and provide light.

These last two things are NOT in the game but considering Winona’s Playstyle they definitely SHOULD be..

4-When a player joins the game and greifs a base by burning everything Winona should have a GIGANTIC MECHANIC WRENCH that can repair burned structures (it would be just like Woodies Lucy Axe and no one else can pick it up)

-Wickerbottom “That Things way too heavy for me to be carrying”

-Wigfrid “This tool seems incapable of a Warriors Hunt..”

-Wolfgang “Wolfgang Mighty But Wolfgang Doesn’t wanna drop that on Wolfgang Toes!”

Willow- “This Metal tool will not burn.. how boring.”

-Wendy “Yuck it’s covered in grease and Oil there is NO WAY I’m picking that up!”

WX78- “PRIMITIVE CONTRAPTION INCAPABLE OF BASIC WX ROBOT REPAIRS!”

Woodie- “Eh Winona do your tools talk to you too Mate?”

5- And the Perfect Winona Kit Item.. A Giant Mechanical Fan- It would be used as a way to keep cool in Summer if placed on land & reduce Overheating/ Base Wildfires, A Stationary Structure that can be rotated around in a circle to provide a Cone of cool breeze wherever you need it to be.. Can provide further cooling action if Ice is stored into it. But if you place it on a Boat say goodbye to ever needing paddles and sails again because now you got yourself a Mechanical Motor Boat. Powered by Winona’s Generator.

(just try not to smash it into land at break neck speed if you can help it.)

I didn't know Woodie was Australian. Do they have beavers in the outback?

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

make is so that only winona can use winona things

I don't really get where you're coming from for a lot of that...

I think the main reason people don't play / stay as Winona is because of her hunger penalty and slow-crafting when hungry.  Its a very very poor reflection of Wolfgang's perk where the benefits don't match the costs.  If anything really needs to change about her this is where I'd start.  Having to micro-manage hunger for a 2x damage boost and free walking cane is great!  Having to micro-manage hunger so you don't take forever to craft 1 thing because you only needed to craft 1 thing... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz that's where I bounced off of her.

I'm not sure why search light should be a boat only item.  Like seriously, what about a search light means it should only be on a boat?  This isn't a spyglass (those should be added to DST though)  If you want to use it on a boat, go for it - why do we have to take this away from people who want to use it on land?  What's wrong with just making it good enough to actually be useful?  Considering the thing requires fuel every time you want to turn it on, without any off switch like a flingo, it should really light up about a lantern's worth.  Imagine if you had to put a nitre in a lantern every time you wanted to turn it on, and you couldn't turn it off...  The thing should just really be a lot more amazing than it is.

I generally oppose the entire "blow everything up when Winona leaves" or "only Winona can use Winona things."  I did this poll here and approximately half of the people who do use the celestial portal use it to utilize multiple character's perks.  Maybe you don't use this thing, but its obviously a useful feature for a decent chunk of the forum goers.  No reason to just hate on their play-style because it doesn't match your preference.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

I don't really get where you're coming from for a lot of that...

I think the main reason people don't play / stay as Winona is because of her hunger penalty and slow-crafting when hungry.  Its a very very poor reflection of Wolfgang's perk where the benefits don't match the costs.  If anything really needs to change about her this is where I'd start.  Having to micro-manage hunger for a 2x damage boost and free walking cane is great!  Having to micro-manage hunger so you don't take forever to craft 1 thing because you only needed to craft 1 thing... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz that's where I bounced off of her.

I'm not sure why search light should be a boat only item.  Like seriously, what about a search light means it should only be on a boat?  This isn't a spyglass (those should be added to DST though)  If you want to use it on a boat, go for it - why do we have to take this away from people who want to use it on land?  What's wrong with just making it good enough to actually be useful?  Considering the thing requires fuel every time you want to turn it on, without any off switch like a flingo, it should really light up about a lantern's worth.  Imagine if you had to put a nitre in a lantern every time you wanted to turn it on, and you couldn't turn it off...  The thing should just really be a lot more amazing than it is.

I generally oppose the entire "blow everything up when Winona leaves" or "only Winona can use Winona things."  I did this poll here and approximately half of the people who do use the celestial portal use it to utilize multiple character's perks.  Maybe you don't use this thing, but its obviously a useful feature for a decent chunk of the forum goers.  No reason to just hate on their play-style because it doesn't match your preference.

Yet... certain Characters can not be utilized by others at All, No one but Maxwell can read the Codex Umbra, No one but Woodie can pick up the Lucy Axe & you CANT Summon Abigail from Wendy’s flower when not playing as Wendy.

That May all change sometime in the future with more updates, but for now all you use Winona For is to craft a few things here and there and then swap her out, the same could probably be said for Wigfrid too.. Craft Helmets and Spears and then your done!

So Wicker CANT Read the Codex Umbra but Maxwell CAN Read Applied Horticulture..? 

So we come to a point where they need to make All characters Interact friendly, or make all characters perks exclusive to them and them alone.

Then there’s Wortox, you can’t go around killing stuff and collecting souls to give to Wortox- When he leaves the game his souls will go with him.

When Wortox examines the Codex Umbra he responds with something similar to.. “I don’t think he knows how to use it..”

Implying that Wortox knows EXACTLY how to use it. But yet, Wortox can’t read it.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

All players need such a feature! Not only Winona. Especially since she is not sea-based character. 

There is such a thing in the Hamlet DLC. It should be everyones feature.

-Burnt buildings repairer-

That's the thing I would like to see. But it need some other uses, because repairing burnt bases isn't the most common thing you do.

Deconstructing her own buildings, without the materials lost penalty could be a thing.

It would only work on her own buildings and not on anything else. Maybe the generator, if depleted, should lose the nitre to prevent abuse. This would let you move around your buildings as needed, as long as you carry the materials.

13 hours ago, Desblat said:

All players need such a feature! Not only Winona. Especially since she is not sea-based character. 

There is such a thing in the Hamlet DLC. It should be everyones feature.

That's the thing I would like to see. But it need some other uses, because repairing burnt bases isn't the most common thing you do.

I’m starting to think you just like my Boat item ideas and want everyone to be able to craft them, which is fine.. but that makes no logical sense.

Wendy being around 10 years old isn’t going to know how to assemble a Mechanical Motorboat Propeller. (Think Giant Industrial Fan that they used to use on movie sets and stuff to blow fake snow and stuff)

The Spotlight would only serve as a better quality version of the Boat Lantern.. an item that Does not currently exist in DST but DOES exist in Shipwrecked. Everyone should be able to craft Boat Lanterns, but only Winona should be able to use the Spotlight. (Sadly there is no perk where you can use this thing with Wigfrid to make her Method Acting more intense!)

I do not get why people have such extreme hatred toward Shipwrecked features being slowly added into DST, quite a bit of what’s already being added in this RoT update series has been a more or less improved version of Shipwrecked gameplay Mechanics- The Boats, and now the Improved Fishing Mechanics..

Shipwrecked even had the Trawl Net.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Trawl_Net

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I do not get why people have such extreme hatred toward Shipwrecked features being slowly added into DST, quite a bit of what’s already being added in this RoT update series has been a more or less improved version of Shipwrecked gameplay Mechanics- The Boats, and now the Improved Fishing Mechanics..

Shipwrecked even had the Trawl Net.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Trawl_Net

You keep saying that's what RoT has been adding, but it really really isn't unless you describe the SW and RoT features as vague concepts like "boats with sails" and "fish in water". The only SW content in RoT really is just some fish meat items and crock pot recipes.

Also, how is trawling relevant here in any way?

48 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wendy being around 10 years old isn’t going to know how to assemble a Mechanical Motorboat Propeller. (Think Giant Industrial Fan that they used to use on movie sets and stuff to blow fake snow and stuff)

Are we going to bar her from carrying statues and marble pieces?  from using the alchemy engine?  Is her downside going to turn into "could an 8 year old do this? lol" lol

I like the idea of things being added to shipwrecked.  I don't see what that has to do with Winona's spotlight or why it would be a boat only item...

15 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

So we come to a point where they need to make All characters Interact friendly, or make all characters perks exclusive to them and them alone.

No we don't.  Some characters can have more intrinsic qualities like Wolfgang while others can have more extrinsic qualities like Winona, some combine the two like Wigfrid.  That variety is a pretty valuable thing when people pick a character.  Is there some argument that extrinsic qualities negatively effect your gameplay?

More than that - how could you make certain qualities intrinsic?  So you simply call a destruct command on all of Winona's structures, what do you do with all of the wood, stone, and nightmare fuel that Maxwell farmed?  What do you do with the merm huts that Wurt has built?  What about the spider nests Webber has planted?  Should the ruins reset if a WX logs out after clearing it?  What's next?  Locking all of a player's structures so that no one else can use them?  Are we not in a multiplayer mostly cooperative game?

I have no problem with you wanting some things like a boat lantern, boat spotlight, or fan.  I'm really confused why you would think Winona's spotlight needs to be a boat only item that no one else should be able to utilize, and if she leaves the world it is instantly destroyed.

Archived