Challenge: Create a character that interacts with lesser used mechanics

We all love to create custom characters' advantages and disadvantages, but they almost always have abilities that fall into the categories of combat, food, resource gathering, stat management, or exploration (e.g. Wolfgang (in theory) has greater difficulty with his hunger and sanity, higher DPS output and damage resistance, Maxwell has high sanity, passive sanity regeneration, and shadow servants but low max hp, Wortox can cover a lot of ground with his souls and quickly heal, but he needs to eat twice as much).

What would you make for a character whose abilities (advantages and/or disadvantages) were based around mechanics that aren't used often in the game?

Underrepresented mechanics include, but are not limited to:

• Day count
  • Moon Phase
  • Day Phase (Dusk, night etc.)
  • Current sanity
  • Ambient world temperature
  • Naughtiness
  • Current Health
  • Turf Type
  • Weather
  • Hunts
  • Drop rates
  • Spoilage

Some traits I made based on these underutilized mechanics:

• A character who gains a speed boost based on how many segments of dusk there are compared to the whole cycle
  • A superstitious character who gains effects based on the number that the current day ends with
    • +10% speed on days ending with a 1
    • Can't eat meat on days ending with a 2
    • Can't attack innocent creatures on days ending with a 3
    • -5 sanity/min on days ending with a 4
    • Can't eat fruit on days ending with a 5
    • Can't craft on days ending with a 6
    • +8.25 sanity/min on days ending with a 7
    • Can't eat veggies on days ending with an 8
    • Tools lose 20% less durability on days ending with a 9
    • +10% damage on days ending with a 0
  • A lucky character who gets an additional loot roll for one item from the defeated creature's non-guaranteed loot table (e.g. Killing a mactusk rolls an additional chance for a tusk or tam, Beefalo get another roll on horn drops). Guaranteed items are not rolled again (e.g. Bees always drop one stinger or honey, deerclops always drops just one eyeball).
  • A character who gains special bonuses during some weather events

What do you guys think?

I'd like to see a character who has their own special bedroll and a logical need to sleep every night like an actual human being, with stat bonuses for sleeping well and a hefty sanity decay for when you neglect your bedtime past a certain threshold.

And you wonder why everybody else goes insane to the point where literal shadow monsters attack them and it's not treated as anything extraordinary. Extreme sleep deprivation is no joke, folks!

I currently have a "character" mod in the works that's based around managing constantly decreasing max HP, as in it ticks down with time rather than being a penalty for something. I think that's a pretty neat mechanic that could be utilized with magic or some other supernatural aspect, perhaps.

Spoiler

Your traits ideas are great, I'm going to consider them for my future content I'll work on, especially the clock segments concept ! :wilson_goodjob:

We can imagine all kind of perks just by looking at the game components and think how to use them on someone new, but one of the hardest to use from your list on a character might the loots, cause this is always sided on the mobs & structures, you can't edit it much from a character cause they mostly only listen to their original loot tables.

This game have so much potential for making hundreds of characters with strong perks or personality. So I'd be doing some self promiting here if you don't mind with my second main that I've made myself, hope you like it.

Wirlywings from Cherry Forest :wirly_MayuNezz2.thumb.jpg.f400efedc9c9b8116e259655635c9ca3.jpg

If you're looking for unused mechanics, you can give her a try with/without the Cherry Forest mod itself but she mostly use it as part of the original gameplay.

First thing, the parks are :

* Has a cute hood-mmh

* Love food and making friends

* Is afraid of night time when alone

The unique perks use the emotes of the game and an alternative start.

Unlike other survivors of the game, you will start in a setpiece of the Cherry Forest (which is explained in her lore but I've not revealed it yet...)

So... if you play with the default settings, this will make you survive on an island and I can tell you it's quite something unique ! You can decide to start surviving there with another assortment of resources or speed-running a boat to reach the mainland. It's up to you to decide !

Next mechanic is using the emote /wave to befriend friendly creatures, such as Pigs and some others, or even players :

wirlywings_wave.gif.bc549381256c708a6cfaaba22abae102.gifWaving someone regenerate sanity and they will become a follower for some time.

You will be bond to the mob you waved ! If you attack them or if they die, your sanity will drop.

Mobs have no waving cooldown but you can only wave players one time per day to restore sanity for both of you and reduce your sanity drain from negative aura during the cooldown time.

There's also some easter eggs... :wilson_blush:

Spoiler

waveking.gif.67077c0cd70edf4d3ff6f22ef5e4aaf6.gif

I've also used the character clothes as a perk itself, her hood is making her a seasonal survivor, especially during spring :

It give you 70% resistance from wetness and your inventory is protected from rain. Combine this with any standard hat and you will have a 90% resistance, making spring a second autumn to enjoy with all the friends you can make around to fight or whatever you plan to do.

The hood design is also making the character pretty fun, she can't talk properly and just "Talmmhk like this-mmh." ^^

The last perk is food related. So I'm not going to talk much about it cause lot of the characters have a perk about hunger, even if her ability to share prepared food is life-changing.

Spoiler

wirlywings_sharefood.gif.6e485614b93fcd23b6c3432419797e23.gif

If you want to know more about her, there's a link bellow for the Cherry Forest guide with a part dedicated to Wirlywings details.

I'd like to see stealth to become a mechanic, maybe a character specific one. Currently the only stealth mechanic we have is through hiding in the bush hat or snurtle armor.

Another Mechanic that could be interesting is a blocking stance. Currently you can do that with the snurtle armor if timed right, you can block 100% of the damage into the armor when you are about to get hit (instead of dodging the attack, you just hide for half a second). Perhaps other types of weapon or armor could let you do something like that.

This somewhat touches food but I think it's a unique role regardless. Just wrote this on the Winnie thread so copying it down:

Winnie would have an animal herder/ animal husbandry role, the closest perk we ever had to that being Woodie's ability to befriend mobs for a little more (not sure if they removed this on the rework or not). She'd be friendly with animals like Beefalos, Volt Goats, Koelephants, Slurtles, Reindeers, Bees and such; and maybe she'd have a primary friend in the herds tends to but she'd be farming the rest of them for their milk and meat instead of being a vegetarian environmentalist activist of any kind.

I do think she can be an interesting character as a specialized mob rancher of unintelligent neutral mobs, perhaps being good and effective at ranching and domestication: being able to calm down and befriend Koelephants, Slurtles, and Grass Geckos (and even perhaps Ewecii), Bring new domestication mechanics with her such as Koelephant domestication and better control over domestic animals, may be able to have singular animal companions like a domestic catcoon, hound and a beefalo, following and protecting her and giving her sanity, she could speed up or even induce reproduction etc. I see so much potential in such a husbandry role.

17 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Unfortunately, my unreleased Skeledork mod involves catcoon hearding and being a skeleton. If anyone has ideas to add the stas mentioned in the op's post, that'd be interesting.

Can craft drawings that when given to other players, raise their sanity.

Okay challenge Accepted- But I’m picking a character that’s already (sort of) in the game though- Charlie, 

and the Lesser used game Mechanic I am going to give her is the ability to manipulate and warp the world around her, for example moving the Obsidian Pillars that in the original DS were used as obstacles to block your progress until you lowered or raised your sanity, but in DST I’ve really only ever seen them used as decorations surrounding the Pig King.

Converting Flower to Evil Flower or Vice Versa. (Which Ghosts Haunting Them can already do very seldom)

Insanity Rabbits/Regular Rabbits 

Regular Pumpkin to Jackolantern.

Some of her Highest Tier End Game Abilities would be being able to Convert Monster Meat back into Normal Meat and Campfires to Endothermic Fires (this ability would obviously require a lot of work and would NOT be something you can do easily..) 

I just feel that from her Animated Short that she should be able to convert objects between Pretty, or Scary.. and these are just a few of the ideas I had for that. :

And compared to Wickerbottom and her Applied Horticulture book I don’t feel AT ALL that these abilities would be too Overpowered or Gamebreaking.

considering the naughtiness aspect, i thought of a simple aspect

for an innocent feeling character, they would think their reputation has been tarnished and lose sanity. this is a slow drain over time that eventually hits a massive drop after krampus spawns. 

Concerning innocence, it could be a dainty kind of character, kind of a "commune with nature" deal. butterflies and bees would follow then and not attempt to hurt them unless they initiate combat. this would extend to most bugs or "natural" kinds of mobs, not tallbirds or spiders but maybe rabbits and frogs if you want it to be decent. this would compound as an issue in the naughtiness problem, possibly because they will feel second hand guilt for seeing natural creatures that follow them die next to them.

any extra thoughts would help this character along

A character with a sweet tooth. Taffy, pumpkin cookies, waffles and ice cream could have improved effects on them and they'd crave a sweet every 4 days or so. If you ignore this craving, normal food values will be reduced and your character would suffer from withdraw. A weak hit modifier, 5% slower movement speed, and a passive sanity loss would ensue. When consuming more than 10 sweet points (each sweet is valued differently, a taffy is 1 point, cookies are 3 points, waffles and ice cream are 10 points) they'd go into a sugar rush. Increased movement speed, passive sanity gain, slower hunger loss and faster gathering and building speeds. The character could also come with a sweets cart they can place down and passively create cotton candy/craft more sweets for the price of one recipe. For example, if you put one ice, one berry, one butter and one honey in the cart, it would produce 2 servings of ice cream. Hopefully they add other sweet recipes along with the character, like they did with Warly. Hoping for some summer exclusive cocoa beans to craft alternatives to jerky. Chocolate bars would be nice long-lasting sanity treats.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay challenge Accepted- But I’m picking a character that’s already (sort of) in the game though- Charlie, 

and the Lesser used game Mechanic I am going to give her is the ability to manipulate and warp the world around her, for example moving the Obsidian Pillars that in the original DS were used as obstacles to block your progress until you lowered or raised your sanity, but in DST I’ve really only ever seen them used as decorations surrounding the Pig King.

Converting Flower to Evil Flower or Vice Versa. (Which Ghosts Haunting Them can already do very seldom)

Insanity Rabbits/Regular Rabbits 

Regular Pumpkin to Jackolantern.

Some of her Highest Tier End Game Abilities would be being able to Convert Monster Meat back into Normal Meat and Campfires to Endothermic Fires (this ability would obviously require a lot of work and would NOT be something you can do easily..) 

I just feel that from her Animated Short that she should be able to convert objects between Pretty, or Scary.. and these are just a few of the ideas I had for that. :

And compared to Wickerbottom and her Applied Horticulture book I don’t feel AT ALL that these abilities would be too Overpowered or Gamebreaking.

Maybe include some of the other "warpable" items, e.g. changing mushroom types, berry bush variants (normal, lush, or juicy), sapling/grass tuft variants.

20 hours ago, Loopy Ouroboros said:

I'd like to see a character who has their own special bedroll and a logical need to sleep every night like an actual human being, with stat bonuses for sleeping well and a hefty sanity decay for when you neglect your bedtime past a certain threshold.

And you wonder why everybody else goes insane to the point where literal shadow monsters attack them and it's not treated as anything extraordinary. Extreme sleep deprivation is no joke, folks!

Okay, lets develop this, and the go off the deep end:

Wimblton the Tired Neat Freak

-Enjoys a cozy, neat base

Will gain sanity for standing on man made turf, and will gain separate amounts depending one the "quality" of material for his feet to be on (i.e. 2 s/min. for wooden flooring and 6.5 s/min. for carpted). The effect will only take place if there is more then 5 structures within a 5x5 tile radius.

Will lose sanity from standing on naturally spawning turfs if 5 structures are within the 5x5 radius.

Will gain 0.1 sanity/min. for all structures within the 5x5 radius

Will not enjoy having items on the ground and will have a -0.2 s/min. for every 10 items on the floor (if the structures are also there).

Will gain additional bonuses from sleeping (disscussed later) and eating (2x sanity boost, 1.2 hunger boost) in the base if the base is surrounded with walls with a gate door

Crafting any structure or item from the structure tab gives him +15 sanity

loses 30 sanity if any other character/entity destroys any structure near him (if conditions apply)

dislikes random plants being in the base, negates floor bonus if there is plants within the base

will gain items that can improve a structure for a specific purpose, like putting a chimney around a firepit for better warmth and log efficiency at the cost of not being able to cook on it, or a making a freezer that reduces spoilage of foods by 1/2 the rate of the salt box, but the food will get freezer burn if left too long (besides ice).

The point of this perk is to put a focus and reward people for making nice bases and making it more home then camp. It makes players use new items like gates and gives walls a new purpose and make it so players experiment with base building instead of focusing on pure survival.

-Is sleep deprived

Reduces the hunger drain and boosts sanity gain of sleeping in any thing

can sleep anywhere, anytime

will fall asleep if within the vicinity of Sleepytime stories or Panflute when they are used, even if there in no pvp

Introduces the exclusive "Sleep" meter

With a high sleep meter, sanity drains are reduced to 0.8, you move 15% faster, harvests 10% faster, crafts 10% faster, and will have Gestalts ignore him regardless of Enlightenment

With a low sleep meter you move 15% slower, have sanity drain to 1.3, will occasionally drop a item on the ground when crafting, will hurt himself when sowing with a sowing kit, hit slower, and take longer to eat foods.

at 0 Sleep, you stop what ever you are doing and will sleep until you get to 50 Sleep (about 1 full day), where you can then continue control. Going into this state will insure that you will have 0 hunger and will have to endure a further increased drowsiness state for 2 days, but slowly wearing off during that time period.

Sleep can be gained by sleeping by any method. Straw roll will have a +10/min. while tents will have a 4 min. timer but at the end will give you full sleep, sanity, and will give you a improved version of the well rested perks for 1 full day

Sleeping in a "good" base will double the sanity and Sleep gain, as well as prolonging the effects of well rested by 25%

Sleep decreases by 25 points every day (or 3.13 per min.)

Can make 2 new sleep rolls. A Sleeping bag, and a Luxury Mat

Sleeping bag: Infinite durability, works the same as a fur roll, starts with one like Warly and his portable crock pot, can be re crafted by using a sowing kit (uses one use), a fur roll, and beefalo fur

Luxury Mat: 5 use durability.  Restores 60 sanity per min, lose almost no hunger,  restores Sleep to 100 in 2 min. Gives the same benefits as resting in a tent. Despawns all nightmares and gestalts in the area, as well  as stops all nightmare fissures/lights in the immediate area from spawning nightmares. Crafting: 1 Thick Fur, 10 Slurper Pelts, 10 Lune tree Blossoms (The expensive materials and limited use makes it more justified to do all the stuff it can do).

If he fights a boss monster, he will go into Paranoia mode. Paranoia mode will reduce Sleep drain to 1 per day because you won't be able to sleep at all. You will feel the effects of the sleep level you are at, with a additional hunger drain increase and sanity drain and can only calm down after 2 days of Paranoia mode. You will also be able to predict any hound/worm attacks 4 min. early, but that is inter spliced with other crazed sayings. When you get out of Paranoia mode, you will take a 50 Sleep drain hit, with a max. 15 Sleep remaining after (if low enough at the point). The point of paranoia is not to be useful, but too show how these giant monsters can traumatize someone.

Sleep is suppose to give the player a reason to use the sleeping materials as they literally need them to keep their Sleep afloat and will suffer the consequences, or reap the rewards based on how you take care of it. 

-Enjoys wearing a verity of hats

Will gain a increased sanity boost for the first 3 days of wearing a hat type

will start decreasing (sanity) after 5 days because he is bored of wearing that hat

Not the most influencing, but it is a small perk/downside that adds flavor to the character and is a interesting mechanic.

Not sure if this is what you envisioned but its what I got.

12 hours ago, minespatch said:

Unfortunately, my unreleased Skeledork mod involves catcoon hearding and being a skeleton. If anyone has ideas to add the stas mentioned in the op's post, that'd be interesting.

Might not quite be a fit for that character, but I had an idea a good while back of a skeleton character being generally harder to kill (higher hp or built in armor) and not needing food, but taking all physical damage as max health damage and needing special items to heal it rather than the usual Booster Shots.
Crumbles into nothing on death rather than dropping a skeleton, needs a skeleton/rebuilt skeleton to haunt to revive.

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Charlie

Thought a long time ago that it would be neat to have a character that changes based on their Sanity. At the time, Enlightenment didn't exist, but now with it being the opposite end of the spectrum...
Maybe Light/Dark styled changes based on how high/low the meter is could work, with the middle being 'normal'.

With what Charlie's been up to, she'd be a perfect match for that kind of system. Duality and all that. She's connected to both; her Sanity state could attract their power.
Could actually have a character that has to manage their Sanity.
Brainstorming:
- All forms
  = Attracts Gestalt and Shadow attacks like Bernie, but doesn't spawn them as often as other characters
- Low Sanity, Dark
  = Monstrous appearance, sharp claws, and predatory running stance with a ravenous eating animation
  = Has Monster tag (attacked by Pigs and such)
  = Higher damage dealt, faster unarmed attack speed with claw-slashing animation
  = Can heal herself and gain a brief speed boost by eating Nightmare Fuel
  = Ability, shadow hand emerges stretches out from Charlie and pulls her toward the target, also keeping it from moving for a second
  = A bit stronger overall in the Ruins
- High Sanity, Light
  = Constantly content face, has subtle light whisps coming off her, dainty skipping animation
  = Slow attack speed, and attacks don't do any damage; the animation is replaced with some hand waving and slight Light glow
  = 'Attacking' a player or mob gives it a few seconds of low health regen and, if it's aggroed against any current players or allies, removes the aggro
  = Can also touch plants to remove disease
  = Can craft Fairy Dust (only usable in this form) somehow involving Moon Moths, which is basically the Hallowed Nights moon mutation potion
  = Ability, creates a decently sized circular zone where nothing can be damaged for a few seconds and mobs deaggro
  = A bit stronger overall on the Moon Island

59 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

Can anyone more creative than me think of a character trait based around the seasonal stages of birchnut trees (Green, Autumnal, and Barren)?

...I think it would be nice if Wormwood could interact with plant life like that in some way. Doesn't necessarily have to be as minions, either.
He could calm angry plants like Poison Birchnuts or Treeguards. Maybe turn Birchnutters into Birchnuts at the same time.
Take plantable versions of plants (pinecones, ect) from them without digging them up/otherwise destroying them.
He doesn't necessarily need it, but I'd like to see more work on him at some point for flavor. Explain it with more time spent in the world.

On 03.12.2019 at 8:12 AM, S19TealPenguin said:
  • Day count
  • Moon Phase
  • Day Phase (Dusk, night etc.)
  • Current sanity
  • Ambient world temperature
  • Naughtiness
  • Current Health
  • Turf Type
  • Weather
  • Hunts
  • Drop rates
  • Spoilage

1) Day count - I would avoid that, because it's very immersion breaking. Clear day count is gameplay element, Robin Crusoe quicly lost day count.

2) Moon Phase - clearly some werewolf character, I can totally see him being powerful of being in complete wolf form during full moon, and being weak human, if it is a new moon phase.

3) Day phase - there is a that adds Charlie as playable char for solo DS (I helped to code her), her main perk is shadow form, but if she is exposed to sunlight or any other light without prorection - she starts to burn. Explaining why she afraid of light.

4) Current sanity - there is very much things you can do with that. There is mod that adds Wyro (Pyro) who sees world as a candyland while on high sanity, but it all fades to normal, if sanity drops. D E P R E S S I O N

5) World temperature - elemental/golem character who can change element he consists of and melt/freeze if temperature changes. Like water elemental, if it's cold he will freeze and slow. If temp is too high he will boil away.

6) Naughtiness - evil character, who needs to have certain level of naughtiness to stay powerful.

7) Current health - BERSERK! Low health = high damage!

8) Turf type - webber and wurt use that.

9) Weather - there are currently 3 weather states - rain, snow, clear sky. Rain and snow are bound to sunlight power, this is kinda used by Charlie. Also that can affect water elemental.

10) Hunts - character finds elephant tracks more frequently? has a chance to find 2 elephants at once?

11) Drop rates - simple - more loot. Perphaps character gets special tool that allows to butcher animals and get more loot, after being killed by him animals don't dissapear in 1-2 seconds.

12) Spoilage - WX and Wickerbottom have traits related to that. Not sure what else we can do about it.

I made a concept for a character mod a while back, but it didn't go very far because I have no idea how to program. After seeing this, I'm going to edit him with some new stuff.

Spoiler

Waxwing: the flightless

-  Is a bird

-  Can’t fly

-  Knows the magic of feathers

Waxwing is a bird person. Nobody knows where he came from, but it seems that Charlie thought it would be fun to remove his wings. Now Waxwing has been lost in the constant, and must live with the humans (and other stuff) to survive.

Waxwing wishes he could get his wings back and fly away to another realm, but that won’t be happening anytime soon. Without his wings he is forced to walk to survive, which is not what birds were meant to do. He doesn’t move slower or anything, but he gets hungry faster.

75 hunger

100 health

200 sanity

Pros:

Gains 20 hunger, 5 sanity, and 5 health from eating seeds (raw or cooked)

Drops a random feather every 1-3 days (30% red white or black, 10% yellow) dropping a feather reduces sanity by 1 point. Every feather he drops in fall or winter gives one passive insulation point. Feathers dropped in spring or summer do the opposite.

Tallbirds are neutral

Gobblers and other birds don’t run away

Cons:

Loses sanity from killing birds (-15)

Loses sanity from using bird traps (-5)

Standing in range of a scarecrow has effects of purple amulet.

Loses hunger from walking for long periods of time (after 3 seconds of moving he must rest for 3 seconds or get a hunger drain of *1.5 until he rests)

Special crafting tab: For the birds

Rod of Lightning: 1 volt goat horn 3 saffron feathers ; Make a lightning strike (5 uses)

Hurting stick: 1 spear 2 azure feathers ; Weapon that does 50 damage (150 uses)

Sleeping powder: 1 ashes 1 jet feather ; Put a player or non hostile mob to sleep (1 use)

Fire feather: 1 nitre 1 crimson feather ; Fuel a fire for as much time as glommers goop

Seed finder: 5 crimson feather 5 azure feather 5 jet feather 1 gear 1 nightmare fuel ; when walking while holding, has a chance of making seeds appear on the ground on the edge of the screen. Works like woodlegs’ hat. Lasts forever. Doesn’t work in winter.

Seed remover 3000: 2 hound tooth 1 gears 1 electric doodad ; produces seeds when carrots and other farm foods are placed inside. (structure)

Wings: 25 malbatross feathers 25 down feathers 5 gears shadow manipulator ; lasts for three days, can be refueled by 10% with Malbatross feathers. *2 speed boost, no walking sanity drain. Allows walking on water and abyss like the goose. Equip in chest slot.

I had come up with this in a different thread and I feel it touches on the lesser mechanics you mention.  Not very flushed out as far as values go but the core is there.

Ok, hear me out, the beta branch is called like Hook, Line, and Inker. 
-What if the new character was like an octopus/squid. 
-The character would have extra arms to say gather extra in some way. maybe x-y gatherables within a 1 tile range or x-pixel units whatever Klei wants to use.
-The person could swim some like Woodies turkey form but maybe better or less timed and more naturally.  To keep the swimming from being too over powered and abused maybe add a large hunger drain like wolfgangs. Maybe give it a certain diet limitation as a drawback
-maybe some new mechanic relating to wetness where it needs to have a wetness bar otherwise it dries out and takes hp or sanity drain until wet again. Similar to how woodlegs functions with needing to be on the ocean or he drains sanity. 
-naturally it gets colder faster because of the wetness needed and dries out faster in summer when not in water.  Clearly this makes spring a wonderful season for this character. and plays into the seasonal bonus you mention.  Could also hold onto wet tools better as the character has suction cup hands.
-it could play into the stealth option that was mentioned as well. 
- Clearly not making him overpowered using everything here but some as the critter itself has a lot of utility.  The hard part would be balancing a drawback properly.

11 hours ago, maradyne said:

Charlet

I like the concept by itself, but it doesn't seem to fit Charlie, because she is way too corrupted by shadows. Even beyond Maxwell levels, she became nightmare creature that lurks in darkness! If anything, moon exposure will just kill her.

Hovewer, I would like to see brand new character with a moon-shadow duality.

Archived