Joy Responses

11 hours ago, Junksteel said:

Balloon Artist seem to be working fine after the update!

image.thumb.png.09ff7f512e65a3df4a7521b161baac2f.png

Why do you have metal on top of carpet?  Don't they only get the bonus if they walk on the carpet?  And doesn't the metal tile even stop the decor from showing through?

4 minutes ago, psusi said:

Why do you have metal on top of carpet?  Don't they only get the bonus if they walk on the carpet?  And doesn't the metal tile even stop the decor from showing through?

Metal has decent decor and gives speed bonus.

Carpet tile has OP decor, stress reduction buff but slower dupe speed.

In this scheme I make sure they walk mostly on top of metal (getting speed bonus) and just touch the carpet tile (if I eventually need them to have stress reduction buff). Most of time carpet tiles are serving as walls and ceiling thus providing the max decor possible for tiles with no disadvantage attached.

18 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

Metal has decent decor and gives speed bonus.

Carpet tile has OP decor, stress reduction buff but slower dupe speed.

In this scheme I make sure they walk mostly on top of metal (getting speed bonus) and just touch the carpet tile (if I eventually need them to have stress reduction buff). Most of time carpet tiles are serving as walls and ceiling thus providing the max decor possible for tiles with no disadvantage attached.

If you are going for maximum decor, wouldn't diamond glass tiles be better? This wouldn't provide the speed bonus, but would allow the decor from rooms above/below to stack, especially if you use metal statues, marble sculptures (the 2x2 ones), and pedestals with decent quality space stuff, as they have a huge decor range.

A simple comparison of the tiles:

1. Diamond window tile: +10 decor for 1 tile, no speed bonus
  2. Gold Metal tile: +22.5 decor for 3 tiles, +50% speed
  3. Granite Carpet tile: +30 decor for 4 tiles, -20% speed, and stress reduction
  4. Basic granite tile: +7.5 decor for 1 tile, +25% speed

The results for how this stacks on a floor completely made of each material is that diamond windows provides +30 decor in each tile, gold metal tiles outputs +112.5 decor, and granite carpet provides +130 decor in each tile. However, the bonus of being able to stack the decor of rooms above and below can GREATLY overcome the decor bonus of using just carpet or metal tiles. The stress reduction of carpet tiles isn't worth the runspeed, particularly if you're going to these lengths to maximize decor.

Conclusion: don't use carpet tiles on the floor, use them on the ceiling and walls, as the decor radius is large enough to reach the floor. Use diamond window tiles for divisions between rooms, and use gold metal tiles everywhere else.

5 hours ago, crypticorb said:

If you are going for maximum decor, wouldn't diamond glass tiles be better?

Yes, absolutely. Although I'm playing a seed very poor on diamond spawn. I cleaned all the possible diamond I could harvest and still don't have enough for all the dia tempshift plates I normally use. I'm planning to bring more from space soon(ish). In the other hand I have 1 polluted water vent inside the base and at least 3 cool slush geysers sitting in the borders of the map.

The second and main reason I'm using carpet tiles instead of diamond glass is my love for this tile. I created threads asking for it to be buffed and I feel Klei did a decent job on its balance. I'm pretty happy with results. Dupes got maximum morale from decor and it's aesthetically pleasing to my taste.

Just now, Junksteel said:

Yes, absolutely. Although I'm playing a seed very poor on diamond spawn. I cleaned all the possible diamond I could harvest and still don't have enough for all the dia tempshift plates I normally use. I'm planning to bring more from space soon(ish). In the other hand I have 1 polluted water vent inside the base and at least 3 cool slush geysers sitting in the borders of the map.

The second and main reason I'm using carpet tiles instead of diamond glass is my love for this block. I created threads asking for it to be buffed and I feel Klei did a decent job on its balance. I'm pretty happy with results. Dupes got maximum morale from decor and it's aesthetically pleasing to my taste.

My asteroid is also incredibly diamond poor, as I chose Verdante with frozen core, which meant a very scattered handful of oil biomes of the dry variant. Turns out you actually don't need diamond tempshift plates for just about anything, as refined aluminum has almost three times the thermal conductivity of diamond, and for most other purposes using something like lead/gold will work very well, and if you need a thermal buffer, dirt has 2-3x the thermal capacity of anything else, with still modest conductivity and temperature range.

1 minute ago, crypticorb said:

My asteroid is also incredibly diamond poor, as I chose Verdante with frozen core, which meant a very scattered handful of oil biomes of the dry variant. Turns out you actually don't need diamond tempshift plates for just about anything, as refined aluminum has almost three times the thermal conductivity of diamond, and for most other purposes using something like lead/gold will work very well, and if you need a thermal buffer, dirt has 2-3x the thermal capacity of anything else, with still modest conductivity and temperature range.

Exactly, I got a frozen core with same traits as you. I made like 12 diamond tempshift plates and don't have enough for a single extra simple block. And these plates are encaged in closed systems I'm not considering to crack open atm. lol

I saw people commenting about refined aluminum as a good alternative but didn't catch up with the math until now. Three times thermal conductivity of diamond? Holy crap... Well, I don't even need to bring that diamond from space then.

I haven't actually used a super productive researcher....I am not sure....

Super productive has a chance of just plain completing tasks that have a duration bar. Digging a tile, building a building, cooking food, even using a latrine can be instant completed.

I have no idea how it would affect a researcher though.

It's not as flashy as the sparkle streaker, but it can put in some work when you instantly build a liquid reservoir or some other object that takes a long time to build.

Archived