Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

TheTruth

Any strategy for Woodie's rework?

Recommended Posts

TheTruth    13

I have been searching for his new rework strategy but all I found is bunch of old woodie strategy.Which isn't useful now. If any woodie mains out there may want to share their strategies with all of us? I understand the rework is just about 2 months ago, but if you have some decent strategy, that'll nice if you may share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ADM    3,019

c h o p   w o o d

You can do this freely now without having to be worried about your sanity or anything since chopping is now separated from the transformations.

So your objective for a multiplayer game is to harvest wood the more you can for a team while they're base-building or doing other stuff like fighting / gathering for resources.

And remind that Tree Guards might be a problem while you're farming so you better do a big session while on a early game cause tree guard spawn after some time you joined a server.

After you make yourself comfortable you can use idols to do stuff efficiently :

- Use the Goose idol to explore or find island while your meter is high,

- Use the Moose idol to fight swarms of mobs like during a hound wave or spider dens, don't use it to fight a single enemy, whenever it is strong or not, it's mostly effective when you can charge a group of monsters in a single time,

- Use the Beaver one when you have multiple of them, you'd have the ability to farm logs without being bothered by Tree Guards this time, you can use Warly Spice as well to make yourself a bulldozer.

 

You see, Woodie's transformations are focused on actions during strict conditions, since your hunger drop at 0 after using an Idol, you'd better just keep some berries or Blue Caps on you to eat it after exiting the transformation and repeat the transformations without taking important damages, don't eat a lot before being sure you have no more use of idols. And now, you are pretty optimised.

I don't suggest you using Woodie on a solo adventure cause you'd have quickly more advantage from using other foragers like Maxwell, but with friends, the idols can make a difference if you use them well and invest time in tree planting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ButterStuffed    1,754

Unless you’re intentionally trying to attract treeguards (especially poison birchnuts) chop trees as beaver form. I’m pretty sure they made beaver form have 0% chance of treeguards or just a really low number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Birchnut trees are your friend. Chop them for free and easy food. If they spawn a poison birchnut tree, kite and chop. If it happens to spawn right next to you, stop what you are doing and immediately spam click the perpetrator to death. Since berries are plentiful in most worlds, you can use your massive supply of birchnuts and berries as healing for moose in the form of trailmix.

What you use moose on depends on what you want to do. Clearing spiders is easy as moose, clearing frogs is easy as moose, clearing bees is easy as moose, clearing dogs is easy as moose. Though the peak of moose's use to me is at the ruins, since moose basically gets 'free' night vision and 90% armor, he stops the clockworks that would usually give rushers a trouble such as bishops. Also make note that moose clears shadow spleumonkeys really well, just remember to have your trail mix at hand for when you come out of moose as well as a light source. Also if you are about to transform back into moose, remember to put your light back into your inventory so you don't drop it upon idol consumption. Finally be careful where your charge ends at, it is best to let the hoard of whatever mob get decently close so they don't take 10 bites out of you when you come out of charge. Also note that moose is tanky enough to punch down a varg solo if the Woodie transforms at full health, and ewecus are unable to stun moose.

Goose is probably one of Woodie's strongest forms in the early game, it can find both the ruins and the lunar island very quickly because the resources required to make its idol is so cheap. The only catch for goose is that you need to be careful where you transform out of goose, since its transform anim is very very long a terrorbeak can easily catch up to you and have some thanksgiving leftovers. Also the best time to look for the lunar island is about half a day before the full moon comes out, since the full moon refills your weremeter of whatever creature you are using, you can maximize the goose-time of one idol this way.

Beaver is useful for lategame chopping, since at this point in the game, you most likely would have already fought multiple treeguards and are harvesting trees for logs, not living logs. Since beaver doesn't get treeguards ever, I would say that this makes him one of the best lategame lumber harvesters since he will be less likely interrupted during a chopping spree, though only if you don't want any more living logs. Which is a situation found quite often by players who prefer hambats for most fights.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheTruth    13

I see, so the transformations has it's own strict rules according to situations. To be honest, I'd love if we can benefit the goose in the late game , but this is already great all things considered. Thank you for the guide

5 hours ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

Birchnut trees are your friend. Chop them for free and easy food. If they spawn a poison birchnut tree, kite and chop. If it happens to spawn right next to you, stop what you are doing and immediately spam click the perpetrator to death. Since berries are plentiful in most worlds, you can use your massive supply of birchnuts and berries as healing for moose in the form of trailmix.

What you use moose on depends on what you want to do. Clearing spiders is easy as moose, clearing frogs is easy as moose, clearing bees is easy as moose, clearing dogs is easy as moose. Though the peak of moose's use to me is at the ruins, since moose basically gets 'free' night vision and 90% armor he stops the clockworks that would usually give rushers a trouble such as bishops. Also make note that moose clears shadow spleumonkeys really well, just remember to have your trail mix at hand for when you come out of moose as well as a light source. Also if you are about to transform back into moose, remember to put your light back into your inventory so you don't drop it upon idol consumption. Finally be careful where your charge ends at, it is best to let the hoard of whatever mob get decently close so they don't take 10 bites out of you when you come out of charge. Also note that moose is tanky enough to punch down a varg solo if the Woodie transforms at full health and ewecus are unable to stun moose.

Goose is probably one of Woodie's strongest forms in the early game, it can find both the ruins and the lunar island very quickly because the resources required to make its idol is so cheap. The only catch for goose is that you need to be careful where you transform out of goose, since its transform anim is very very long a terrorbeak can easily catch up to you and have some thanksgiving leftovers. Also the best time to look for the lunar island is about half a day before the full moon comes out, since the full moose refills your weremeter of whatever creature you are using, you can maximize the goose-time of one idol this way.

Beaver is useful for lategame chopping, since at this point in the game, you most likely would have already fought multiple treeguards and are harvesting trees for logs, not living logs. Since beaver doesn't get treeguards ever, I would say that this makes him one of the best lategame lumber harvesters since he will be less likely interrupted during a chopping spree, though only if you don't want any more living logs. Which is a situation found quite often by players who prefer hambats for most fights.

 

 

1 minute ago, TheTruth said:

I see, so the transformations has it's own strict rules according to situations. To be honest, I'd love if we can benefit the goose in the late game , but this is already great all things considered. Thank you for the guide

 

 

5 hours ago, ADM said:

c h o p   w o o d

You can do this freely now without having to be worried about your sanity or anything since chopping is now separated from the transformations.

So your objective for a multiplayer game is to harvest wood the more you can for a team while they're base-building or doing other stuff like fighting / gathering for resources.

And remind that Tree Guards might be a problem while you're farming so you better do a big session while on a early game cause tree guard spawn after some time you joined a server.

After you make yourself comfortable you can use idols to do stuff efficiently :

- Use the Goose idol to explore or find island while your meter is high,

- Use the Moose idol to fight swarms of mobs like during a hound wave or spider dens, don't use it to fight a single enemy, whenever it is strong or not, it's mostly effective when you can charge a group of monsters in a single time,

- Use the Beaver one when you have multiple of them, you'd have the ability to farm logs without being bothered by Tree Guards this time, you can use Warly Spice as well to make yourself a bulldozer.

 

You see, Woodie's transformations are focused on actions during strict conditions, since your hunger drop at 0 after using an Idol, you'd better just keep some berries or Blue Caps on you to eat it after exiting the transformation and repeat the transformations without taking important damages, don't eat a lot before being sure you have no more use of idols. And now, you are pretty optimised.

I don't suggest you using Woodie on a solo adventure cause you'd have quickly more advantage from using other foragers like Maxwell, but with friends, the idols can make a difference if you use them well and invest time in tree planting.

 

5 hours ago, ButterStuffed said:

Unless you’re intentionally trying to attract treeguards (especially poison birchnuts) chop trees as beaver form. I’m pretty sure they made beaver form have 0% chance of treeguards or just a really low number.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CarlZalph    3,466

Personally I go to lunar within the first 1-3 days, depending on how fast I can get a science machine, shovel, spear, and backpack up then getting 6 monster meat from spiders/hounds.

Stonefruit is S tier compared to every other bush in the game; grows in winter, gives rocks and food, and has a chance to replicate itself for even more fruits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheTruth    13
38 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

Personally I go to lunar within the first 1-3 days, depending on how fast I can get a science machine, shovel, spear, and backpack up then getting 6 monster meat from spiders/hounds.

Stonefruit is S tier compared to every other bush in the game; grows in winter, gives rocks and food, and has a chance to replicate itself for even more fruits.

Oh wow, I tried that strategy but I barely got any seeds when I tried to search for them. An exact opposite happened when I decided not to search for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jantonio    2,795
4 hours ago, TheTruth said:

Oh wow, I tried that strategy but I barely got any seeds when I tried to search for them. An exact opposite happened when I decided not to search for them.

if you see a bird, drop your seeds 2 tiles away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Queron81    422
12 hours ago, TheTruth said:

Oh wow, I tried that strategy but I barely got any seeds when I tried to search for them. An exact opposite happened when I decided not to search for them.

Just go the way back where you came from, there should be some seeds, as the birds are spawning near you and will sometimes drop a seed (also offscreen). If you just explore new areas, you won't find seeds that easily, as the birds didn't spawned there yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheTruth    13
8 hours ago, jantonio said:

if you see a bird, drop your seeds 2 tiles away.

Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

Just go the way back where you came from, there should be some seeds, as the birds are spawning near you and will sometimes drop a seed (also offscreen). If you just explore new areas, you won't find seeds that easily, as the birds didn't spawned there yet.

I tried that, and guess what? I ended up wasting probably about 5 days and I barely got any seeds again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mrklli    850
On 30.11.2019 at 7:37 AM, TheTruth said:

 

I see, so the transformations has it's own strict rules according to situations. To be honest, I'd love if we can benefit the goose in the late game , but this is already great all things considered. Thank you for the guide

 

I'd say there is at least one late game benefit from the goose: Malbatross. Personally I think sailing is too much of a hassel and I avoid it as much as I can. It's great if Goose-Woodie locates Malbatross and then everybody can go straight to the right spot, skipping all the aimless cruising around the high seas without knowing where to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rinkusan    506

While I'm not a Woodie main, I've learned how ridiculously valuable new Woodie is and how I can exploit his contributions as a Wicker main myself. As other people have already mentioned most of what new Woodie's perks are, I'll instead focus on what wasn't mentioned in detail yet: Woodie's contribution to the stone fruit bush meta.

Stone fruit bushes are pretty much the best food source in the game right now. To briefly go over how broken these bushes are:
1) They grow in Winter
2) They yield 1.8 edible fruits per bush on average that also count as veggies in crockpots 
3) They NEVER spoil as long as you don't mine them, meaning you can store them for eternity without ice boxes or bundling wraps 
4) They spoil fairly fast after you mine them, making them great for generating rot that you can use to re-fertilize the bush or save for booster shots
5) They are an extremely fast renewable source of rocks
6) They grow in about 1.2 days (insanely short compared to 4 days for berry bushes) 
7*) They have a 1% chance of dropping a sapling when you mine them; this sapling makes this overpowered bush even more overpowered because you can plant them to generate a NATIVE stone fruit bush AKA a bush that NEVER gets diseased and NEVER needs fertilizer; you can eventually make a native stone fruit farm and throw away your old bushes so that you'll never have to spend time fertilizing ever again.

Woodie is the king of stone fruit bushes for 2 very simple reasons: his goose form and beaver form. Goose form can be used to quickly find the lunar island where these stone fruit bushes grow because his goose form can run on water and bypass the entire boat-navigating mechanic (which requires a ridiculous amount of time and resources otherwise). On top of that, Woodie's goose form can be used to locate salt formations for salt boxes which I'll come back to later.
What some people don't realize though is that Woodie's beaver form can mine stuff now, meaning Woodie can mine a few hundred stone fruits without using a single pickaxe. The amount of flint, gold, and sticks you save by exploiting Woodie's beaver form to mine all these stone fruits is absolutely ridiculous. You might be thinking what good mining literally over a hundred stone fruits will do for you when there's no way you can use up that many before they spoil in the ice box. This is why I mentioned salt boxes earlier. Salt boxes are ice boxes on steroids; they slow down spoilage by 4x compared to ice boxes' 2x, but the catch though is that only raw ingredients like raw meats, raw fruits, and raw veggies are allowed inside. And wouldn't you know it; mined stone fruits ARE a raw veggie. What I'm saying here is that you can afford to have Woodie mine a hundred stone fruits at a time and then store them in easy-to-make salt boxes for food, all while your un-mined stone fruits stay unspoilable forever until you need to refill your salt box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheTruth    13
8 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

While I'm not a Woodie main, I've learned how ridiculously valuable new Woodie is and how I can exploit his contributions as a Wicker main myself. As other people have already mentioned most of what new Woodie's perks are, I'll instead focus on what wasn't mentioned in detail yet: Woodie's contribution to the stone fruit bush meta.

Stone fruit bushes are pretty much the best food source in the game right now. To briefly go over how broken these bushes are:
1) They grow in Winter
2) They yield 1.8 edible fruits per bush on average that also count as veggies in crockpots 
3) They NEVER spoil as long as you don't mine them, meaning you can store them for eternity without ice boxes or bundling wraps 
4) They spoil fairly fast after you mine them, making them great for generating rot that you can use to re-fertilize the bush or save for booster shots
5) They are an extremely fast renewable source of rocks
6) They grow in about 1.2 days (insanely short compared to 4 days for berry bushes) 
7*) They have a 1% chance of dropping a sapling when you mine them; this sapling makes this overpowered bush even more overpowered because you can plant them to generate a NATIVE stone fruit bush AKA a bush that NEVER gets diseased and NEVER needs fertilizer; you can eventually make a native stone fruit farm and throw away your old bushes so that you'll never have to spend time fertilizing ever again.

Woodie is the king of stone fruit bushes for 2 very simple reasons: his goose form and beaver form. Goose form can be used to quickly find the lunar island where these stone fruit bushes grow because his goose form can run on water and bypass the entire boat-navigating mechanic (which requires a ridiculous amount of time and resources otherwise). On top of that, Woodie's goose form can be used to locate salt formations for salt boxes which I'll come back to later.
What some people don't realize though is that Woodie's beaver form can mine stuff now, meaning Woodie can mine a few hundred stone fruits without using a single pickaxe. The amount of flint, gold, and sticks you save by exploiting Woodie's beaver form to mine all these stone fruits is absolutely ridiculous. You might be thinking what good mining literally over a hundred stone fruits will do for you when there's no way you can use up that many before they spoil in the ice box. This is why I mentioned salt boxes earlier. Salt boxes are ice boxes on steroids; they slow down spoilage by 4x compared to ice boxes' 2x, but the catch though is that only raw ingredients like raw meats, raw fruits, and raw veggies are allowed inside. And wouldn't you know it; mined stone fruits ARE a raw veggie. What I'm saying here is that you can afford to have Woodie mine a hundred stone fruits at a time and then store them in easy-to-make salt boxes for food, all while your un-mined stone fruits stay unspoilable forever until you need to refill your salt box.

Ahh, I suppose you are a non-solo don't starve player. Perhaps I should reconsider my woodie strats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Duplo52    40

My buddy did a ruins rush with Woddie and it worked out rather well.  granted this isn't anything new in the realm of Meta gameplay but it appeared to be a way easier go than doing it before the rework.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheTruth    13

Another important thing to note, Woodie players have to keep track of moon cycle.I believe him and (probably) Wilba are the only one who need to keep this in mind. Like annual flood at Nile River, if a person able to benefit from this, one would consider moon cycle as a blessing while otherwise would consider it as a curse. Especially the case of 0 hunger per full moon, you don't want that hunger goes 'egg' not for nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Duplo52    40
6 hours ago, TheTruth said:

Another important thing to note, Woodie players have to keep track of moon cycle.I believe him and (probably) Wilba are the only one who need to keep this in mind. Like annual flood at Nile River, if a person able to benefit from this, one would consider moon cycle as a blessing while otherwise would consider it as a curse. Especially the case of 0 hunger per full moon, you don't want that hunger goes 'egg' not for nothing.

My buddy does for sure.  He tries to capitalize on the extended time and will use an idol to select his form thus being able to avoid the random transformation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheTruth    13
1 hour ago, Duplo52 said:

My buddy does for sure.  He tries to capitalize on the extended time and will use an idol to select his form thus being able to avoid the random transformation.

Basically, you need a time table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheTruth    13
On 11/30/2019 at 8:22 AM, WoodieMain45684 said:

Birchnut trees are your friend. Chop them for free and easy food. If they spawn a poison birchnut tree, kite and chop. If it happens to spawn right next to you, stop what you are doing and immediately spam click the perpetrator to death. Since berries are plentiful in most worlds, you can use your massive supply of birchnuts and berries as healing for moose in the form of trailmix.

What you use moose on depends on what you want to do. Clearing spiders is easy as moose, clearing frogs is easy as moose, clearing bees is easy as moose, clearing dogs is easy as moose. Though the peak of moose's use to me is at the ruins, since moose basically gets 'free' night vision and 90% armor, he stops the clockworks that would usually give rushers a trouble such as bishops. Also make note that moose clears shadow spleumonkeys really well, just remember to have your trail mix at hand for when you come out of moose as well as a light source. Also if you are about to transform back into moose, remember to put your light back into your inventory so you don't drop it upon idol consumption. Finally be careful where your charge ends at, it is best to let the hoard of whatever mob get decently close so they don't take 10 bites out of you when you come out of charge. Also note that moose is tanky enough to punch down a varg solo if the Woodie transforms at full health, and ewecus are unable to stun moose.

Goose is probably one of Woodie's strongest forms in the early game, it can find both the ruins and the lunar island very quickly because the resources required to make its idol is so cheap. The only catch for goose is that you need to be careful where you transform out of goose, since its transform anim is very very long a terrorbeak can easily catch up to you and have some thanksgiving leftovers. Also the best time to look for the lunar island is about half a day before the full moon comes out, since the full moon refills your weremeter of whatever creature you are using, you can maximize the goose-time of one idol this way.

Beaver is useful for lategame chopping, since at this point in the game, you most likely would have already fought multiple treeguards and are harvesting trees for logs, not living logs. Since beaver doesn't get treeguards ever, I would say that this makes him one of the best lategame lumber harvesters since he will be less likely interrupted during a chopping spree, though only if you don't want any more living logs. Which is a situation found quite often by players who prefer hambats for most fights.

 

Hey woodiemain, I am struggling to find the lunar island because of the vastness of the ocean.Sometimes I only found other parts of the big island.Should I discover the whole island first or search for the lunar island?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2019 at 9:29 AM, TheTruth said:

Basically, you need a time table.

Just look at the day count. If it ends in 1 and the tens digit is odd the it is a full moon (Even = new moon). Ex. Day 11, 31, and 51 are full moons ( 21, 41, and 61 are new moons).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheTruth said:

Hey woodiemain, I am struggling to find the lunar island because of the vastness of the ocean.Sometimes I only found other parts of the big island.Should I discover the whole island first or search for the lunar island?

Discovering the whole island first before taking to the seas can help your chances, since you can use the revealed portion of the island to find where the island appears it should be (such as the island curving around it), but it's not really necessary. I usually just go out into the ocean and follow the border between the light and dark portion of the oceans. The lunar island is given away by the light portion of the ocean extending unusually far beyond the range of the mainland. Another trick is if you see the waterfall border while you are following the border of light and dark oceans. This usually means that the lunar island is on the opposite side of the mainland than where you are now. In fact, sometimes its good to check and see how far the waterfall border is from the mainland from the start, since it gives you a general idea how close the mainland is to the end of the world. Finally, like I said in my first post, I would recommend that you use goose about half a day before the full moon hits to maximize your time on the water. As soon as the full moon hits, your goose meter will be refilled and allow another half day (and a little extra due to the 'moon's influence slowing the degrading of the meter).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Queron81    422
2 hours ago, TheTruth said:

Hey woodiemain, I am struggling to find the lunar island because of the vastness of the ocean.Sometimes I only found other parts of the big island.Should I discover the whole island first or search for the lunar island?

Make some Goose Idols and explore the outer borders of the mainland. If you find a biome that looks like it is cut (has a suspicious flat site) look out for another biome near with a similar cut. In most cases Lunar Island is near these biomes (like between).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheTruth    13
On 12/2/2019 at 3:20 PM, Rinkusan said:

While I'm not a Woodie main, I've learned how ridiculously valuable new Woodie is and how I can exploit his contributions as a Wicker main myself. As other people have already mentioned most of what new Woodie's perks are, I'll instead focus on what wasn't mentioned in detail yet: Woodie's contribution to the stone fruit bush meta.

Stone fruit bushes are pretty much the best food source in the game right now. To briefly go over how broken these bushes are:
1) They grow in Winter
2) They yield 1.8 edible fruits per bush on average that also count as veggies in crockpots 
3) They NEVER spoil as long as you don't mine them, meaning you can store them for eternity without ice boxes or bundling wraps 
4) They spoil fairly fast after you mine them, making them great for generating rot that you can use to re-fertilize the bush or save for booster shots
5) They are an extremely fast renewable source of rocks
6) They grow in about 1.2 days (insanely short compared to 4 days for berry bushes) 
7*) They have a 1% chance of dropping a sapling when you mine them; this sapling makes this overpowered bush even more overpowered because you can plant them to generate a NATIVE stone fruit bush AKA a bush that NEVER gets diseased and NEVER needs fertilizer; you can eventually make a native stone fruit farm and throw away your old bushes so that you'll never have to spend time fertilizing ever again.

Woodie is the king of stone fruit bushes for 2 very simple reasons: his goose form and beaver form. Goose form can be used to quickly find the lunar island where these stone fruit bushes grow because his goose form can run on water and bypass the entire boat-navigating mechanic (which requires a ridiculous amount of time and resources otherwise). On top of that, Woodie's goose form can be used to locate salt formations for salt boxes which I'll come back to later.
What some people don't realize though is that Woodie's beaver form can mine stuff now, meaning Woodie can mine a few hundred stone fruits without using a single pickaxe. The amount of flint, gold, and sticks you save by exploiting Woodie's beaver form to mine all these stone fruits is absolutely ridiculous. You might be thinking what good mining literally over a hundred stone fruits will do for you when there's no way you can use up that many before they spoil in the ice box. This is why I mentioned salt boxes earlier. Salt boxes are ice boxes on steroids; they slow down spoilage by 4x compared to ice boxes' 2x, but the catch though is that only raw ingredients like raw meats, raw fruits, and raw veggies are allowed inside. And wouldn't you know it; mined stone fruits ARE a raw veggie. What I'm saying here is that you can afford to have Woodie mine a hundred stone fruits at a time and then store them in easy-to-make salt boxes for food, all while your un-mined stone fruits stay unspoilable forever until you need to refill your salt box.

Okay, so you're saying getting the salt AND stone trees are the priorities, is that correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rinkusan    506
42 minutes ago, TheTruth said:

Okay, so you're saying getting the salt AND stone trees are the priorities, is that correct?

Pretty much, except it's "stone fruit bushes", not "stone trees". I'm 99% sure you meant the former, but "stone trees" are actually a thing in DST, and I'm just clarifying that those trees are not what I'm talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheTruth    13
22 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

Pretty much, except it's "stone fruit bushes", not "stone trees". I'm 99% sure you meant the former, but "stone trees" are actually a thing in DST, and I'm just clarifying that those trees are not what I'm talking about.

Excuse me, my knowledge about RoT is very limited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites