I need drawing advice (now kinda an art place for me)

4 Da LOLs

I want to get into digital art but don't know whether to use a normal mouse, touch pad or tablet

I have some experience doing paper art if that helps thanks!

and what programs to use for each

(edit I have the programs and now are doing my work this place is mostly just for my art now and advice)

Tablets are expensive. Most people start off with some sort of Wacom tablet, but there are other knockoff brands that work pretty well. Be sure to shop around and consider getting something second hand (off eBay or whatever) if you need to save money.

If money isn't an issue, then you could check out drawing monitors (I have this one) or an iPad Pro with one of those pencil things that come with it.

Alternatively you could draw on paper, scan it in, and then colour the drawing with a mouse. Personally I do not recommend this because excessive use of a mouse can be harmful to your wrist. It can also be a lot of hassle to do digital inking or linework.

Personally I use Clip Studio Paint, which is very highly regarded by people making comics. It is very good for digital painting as well, and Photoshop's main competitor. Their Black Friday sale is still going on for a day or two.

You could check out Autodesk Sketchbook or Krita, both of which are free and have had tablet support for a very long time (and, as such, are less likely to have bugs or support issues with different models of tablets).

Feel free to ask any questions.

2 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

That's pretty similar to the one I started out with. It's very small, however, and you should consider if that's going to be a nuisance or not. It might be if the monitor of your computer is much larger (if you have a smaller laptop, it may not be a problem.)

Also note that the software you get only has a temporary license.

This one is a similar size, cheaper and with no software. This one and this one are similar in price, larger in size, but also with no software.

https://www.youtube.com/user/novacolonyshow/videos This guy has a few tablet reviews that may be helpful. He also works in Autodesk Sketchbook so you can see if you like the look of that software. Lots of tablets have reviews on Youtube or in blogs that you can check out.

Not to try to paralyse you with indecision or anything, but just letting you know there are a lot of options!

15 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

I already own Krita so do I just plug them into the usb to use them on my computer?

The only thing you'd have to do first is go to the tablet company's website and download the appropriate driver. After that you can just plug them in and use them whenever. If there's any other steps, they'll be outlined in a manual or something.

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

The only thing you'd have to do first is go to the tablet company's website and download the appropriate driver. After that you can just plug them in and use them whenever. If there's any other steps, they'll be outlined in a manual or something.

thank you very much I just downloaded the files and bought the tablet thank you for your help

41 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

this keeps popping up and making it hard to draw

Is that a Krita thing? I have never seen it.

If there isn't something in the settings of your tablet that may be set to "if hovering, right click" then you may need to google some solutions. Also, it's cliche but sometimes restarting your computer helps.

32 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

Is that a Krita thing? I have never seen it.

If there isn't something in the settings of your tablet that may be set to "if hovering, right click" then you may need to google some solutions. Also, it's cliche but sometimes restarting your computer helps.

ok thank you it is actually that being in the same spot triggers a right click and its deffinition of "in the same spot" is very loose

I should be able to configure it soon thank you

Archived