A Character trait Ideas: Clusmsy and sleepy!

Clusmsy

When sewing, the player would get damaged;
crafted items would not go to the inventory, instead would fall on the ground;

would fall off beefalos very often;

rowing would have a chance to fail, without hav

ing to time it wrong.

Sleepy

After exiting a tent, siesta, bed roll the character  would be sleepy, with reduced movement speed(similarly as waking up to bearger's yawn);
The duration of both sleeping effects would be increased.

10 minutes ago, JustCrimson said:

sleeping could also count as narcoleptic where as long as you are in immediate danger or in combat you can pass out for a few seconds

You probably meant "as long as you're not in immediate danger or in combat"

Ho look at that he made a mistake.. It happens man

9 hours ago, O_Atoba_Azul said:

Clusmsy

When sewing, the player would get damaged;
crafted items would not go to the inventory, instead would fall on the ground;

would fall off beefalos very often;

rowing would have a chance to fail, without having to time it wrong.

Sleepy

After exiting a tent, siesta, bed roll the character  would be sleepy, with reduced movement speed(similarly as waking up to bearger's yawn);
The duration of both sleeping effects would be increased.

Something you should always ask yourself when thinking of character downsides: would this be fun? Would it be an interesting challenge to overcome, or just a complete annoyance? In my opinion, all of these fall into the latter category.
Taking damage when sewing - This just means you have to eat heal a bit after sewing, is that fun to work around?
Dropping crafted items onto the ground - This means you have to press space after literally every time you craft something. Imagine trying to make a storage area with this character. Every board would fall out onto the ground and have to be picked up. It just adds tedium, is that fun to work around?
Falling off of beefalo - Why
Rowing having a chance to fail even if you time it correctly - This can be countered by simply placing a firepit on your boat, but I'd personally still get annoyed by the obviously negative animation of failing. Is that fun to work around?
Getting groggy after sleeping - Not very relevant imo because sleeping in DST, but I still don't really get the point of this. It's not as bad as the others, but I still don't see it adding any sort of fun or challenge.

6 minutes ago, Canis said:

Walani.

I want Walani just as much as you, but I really don't think she needs anything like this. Walani in SW is a character with a useful "boat" and very little downsides to worry about, and I'd hope she'd be somewhat similar in DST (just like how Warly in DST is still themed around the same thing as his SW gameplay, that being cooking a variety of dishes). I don't think any kind of perk would be able to make me put up with dropping every single item I craft.

"Clusmsy" I actually prefer this typo lol

I think that these downsides are too small to add to a character if you want to give them interesting upsides. You might end up with another Winona (at her first release).

But, I'll try to complete the character with the above downsides and fitting the theme

• Clusmsy - Crafted items are dropped on the ground instead deposited into your inventory. There is a 33% chance that any action using the crafting animation (gathering, cooking, assembling etc.) will fail and the ingredients used will be dropped instead. Damage reduced by 10%.
  • Sleepy - lose 10% speed at dusk and 20% at night. Negated if you have spent more than one minute sleeping in the past 40 minutes (5 days)
  • Happy Go Lucky - negative sanity auras have 20% less effect, does not effect instant sanity changes
  • Cheerful - +0.33 sanity/min aura to nearby teammates
  • Excited - Gain 20% more stats from eating sweet or fruit based foods (e.g. berries, ice cream, dragonpie, honey). Gain +5% speed if you've eaten something with a fruit or sweetener value of 1 in the past day.

Maybe this character would be too OP, but I see them as a Noob friendly character with a positive attitude.

3 hours ago, S19TealPenguin said:
  • Clusmsy - Crafted items are dropped on the ground instead deposited into your inventory. There is a 33% chance that any action using the crafting animation (gathering, cooking, assembling etc.) will fail and the ingredients used will be dropped instead. Damage reduced by 10%.

How do I collect berries/grass with that char? Seems rather tedious. That simply forces you to hold spacebar near each of those until you win diceroll. There is no interesting way to counter that.

1 hour ago, Desblat said:

How do I collect berries/grass with that char? Seems rather tedious. That simply forces you to hold spacebar near each of those until you win diceroll. There is no interesting way to counter that.

I mean, you already hold the spacebar to harvest large fields anyway. Would you rather that anything using the craft anim simply take 33% longer? it's the same effect but with less flavor.

9 hours ago, S19TealPenguin said:

I mean, you already hold the spacebar to harvest large fields anyway. Would you rather that anything using the craft anim simply take 33% longer? it's the same effect but with less flavor.

Crafting and collecting are the things that you do most of the time. Making it 33% longer doesn't make character more interesting to play as, because game doesn't provide different mechanics in that field.

Also most characters tend to have small and counterable downsides. Like WX can use umbrella to counter rain, Wendy has Abigail to fight instead of her countering lower damage, or Wendy can hire pigs/bunnies for the same purpose. Wickerbottom must use sanity restoring items instead of sleeping. But there is no mob or item that can counter reduced harvest and craft speed rendering such a character unplayable for me.

However there is mechanics in solo DS that's close to this. In SW Wilbur has reduced movespeed thus it's a bit slower for him to harvest bunch of grass/twigs, but he can use monkeys to collect those items for him. That's the thing that might work in DST, but... well we've got no monkeys in DST.

Archived