The wiki says that dupes will sleep during bed time, and go to work during work time, and can get by on only two blocks of sleep each night.  Why then, do I sometimes seem to see dupes sleep in during the morning when both bath and down time are at the end of the day?  It seems like they will remain in bed during work time as long as their stamina is < 100%.  But then at the same time, every now and then I see one fall asleep from exhaustion wherever they are.  If they slept in until 100% stamina, then this should never happen.  What's going on?

Also if they will go to the bathroom during downtime, why have bath time at all?  Just give an extra down time and no bath time.

The reason is that they only start sleeping when they reach their bed.  If it takes them more than their designated sleep time to get to their bed, they don't get any sleep.  This means that they will fall asleep due to exhaustion eventually.  One way to avoid this is by having a good amount of break time before bed, so they have more time to get back to the base.  When a dupe falls asleep, they stay asleep until 100% stamina, which is a good thing and a benefit of comfy beds.

Bathtime is useful because it is almost a cross between work time and downtime.  They can take showers and use the bathroom, but they will work if they have none of that stuff to do. 

You need to understand how Schedules work.

2 blocks of sleep is enough to recover full stamina, but that will be effective only if they go to sleep exactly when their sleep blocks start. If for any reason they delay going to bed, they will oversleep into the next block to recover 100% stamina. Now when you see some dupe taking a nap off at a random time, it could be due to 2 reasons:

1. The dupe has the "Narcoleptic" trait which causes the dupe to take a power nap at random times, at random locations. This cannot be avoided. Although when the dupe is taking a power nap, you can use the 'Move to' command to disrupt his sleep with no harm.

2. Another reason could be that the dupe completely missed his sleep schedule and hence had no stamina recovery. So he continued with his work schedule and slept when his stamina reached 0 during the day. The missing of sleep blocks could be due to inaccessibility or long commutes.

About the last point, the 'Bath' time is for using Showers I believe if you have them built.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

The reason is that they only start sleeping when they reach their bed.  If it takes them more than their designated sleep time to get to their bed, they don't get any sleep.  This means that they will fall asleep due to exhaustion eventually.  One way to avoid this is by having a good amount of break time before bed, so they have more time to get back to the base.  When a dupe falls asleep, they stay asleep until 100% stamina, which is a good thing and a benefit of comfy beds.

Hrm... I do have 1 bath and 1 down time before the 2 bed times.  But I guess if someone was way out in BFE they may not be able to get into bed before bed time is up and I just didn't notice.   So they do stay asleep until 100%, but if they get to 100% early, they don't wake up early so it's a bit of a waste to give 3 bed times.

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

Bathtime is useful because it is almost a cross between work time and downtime.  They can take showers and use the bathroom, but they will work if they have none of that stuff to do. 

Problem is that they run to the bathroom right away, finish, then go try to do some more work, get half way there, then turn around and head back for down time.  I think I'd rather them get +1 morale from a second down time than have half a chance of doing a few more seconds work.

Unless they can only shower during bath time?  As long as they can do that during down time too, then I'm just going to give more down time instead of bath time.

2 minutes ago, psusi said:

Problem is that they run to the bathroom right away, finish, then go try to do some more work, get half way there, then turn around and head back for down time.  I think I'd rather them get +1 morale from a second down time than have half a chance of doing a few more seconds work.

I generally order it downtime->sleep->downtime->bathtime.  That way, if they missed any necessities during the downtime or overslept, they can still use the bathroom and such before they go about their day.  Plus if they sleep through any downtime, that's free morale :D

This is why comfy beds, and core layout is important.

It's all well and good having lots of downtime, but if your dupes don't have time to use the rec stuff what's the point? If they spend that downtime running to base.

3 blocks of sleep with comfy beds, so the travel time only affects the sleep blocks, the comfy beds will probably always get the dupes to 100% before it ends. If not you maybe miss out on a shower.

Then you have a shower right next to your bedroom, with one bathroom slot, so they wake up and shower.

Then you have your downtime slots, for them to eat, use the toilet and use the rec stuff.

3sleep->1bathroom->how much downtime you want or need.

3 minutes ago, xenoborg said:

3sleep->1bathroom->how much downtime you want or need.

Better to have no bathroom and one more down time instead.  With the bathroom, they may go, then try to run off to do some work, get half way there, and have to turn around and come back for recreation.  They will still use the bathroom during recreation anyway.  May want the bathroom after recreation just in case they didn't have time for it during recreation, and otherwise they go to work for the day, like @Zarquan suggested.

The point of bathroom is to force them to shower, which is why the shower is right next to the bedroom. Then they traverse the same way to get to the job they want to do for like 5 seconds as they would to get to the toilets or mess hall or rec rooms etc. 

+3 shower morale is better than +1 

3 minutes ago, xenoborg said:

The point of bathroom is to force them to shower, which is why the shower is right next to the bedroom. Then they traverse the same way to get to the job they want to do for like 5 seconds as they would to get to the toilets or mess hall or rec rooms etc. 

+3 shower morale is better than +1 

But they would shower during downtime anyway wouldn't they?

You aren't guaranteeing that they do, they could run past the showers go eat, then use the toilet, then maybe they run all the way back to the shower, at least for early mid game +3 every day that's easy to get is good, when you have all the new late game rec stuff though you can probably ditch showers and bathroom slot.

Again your base layout is very important, if the way out your base forces your dupes to pass through the showers / toilets / rec rooms / mess hall without having to double back and such. You waste less downtime with travel.

Archived