I Need Lore

I know this is kind of random to say right now, but I've been bottling up these thoughts for a while now and I want to talk about them.

Please Klei, I need lore. The shorts are cool, but a lot of the shorts either have very little lore in them, or they just open up much more questions than they answer. Klei, will you ever answer big questions like:

Who are the ancients? What happened to them?

What connection does the moon have to the mysteries of the constant?

What's going on with Charlie? Can she be saved?

Who is Them????

My main theory on the entire Constant is that it's a game (as meta as that sounds) and the two main magics (Shadow and Lunar or Black and White) have the 16 main characters as pawns to help them overthrow the other. the characters are in neither side, but unintentionally aid the respective magic in ways such as Charlie absorbing energy from the ancient gateway or the characters replacing the florid postern with the celestial portal.

It is somewhat confirmed that Charlie and Maxwell were technically queen and king so if we are going to get 16 characters as a reference to chess pieces then we may actually get Charlie as a playable character. But that would be 17th player in total so maybe those who were born in DS world like Wortox, Wormwood or Wurt would not count.

Other option is that we may get 32 characters in the very end to fill the whole chessboard eventually.

6 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

As for your questions, most likely you'll have to wait till full release of "Return of Them" DLC to get ..them (probably partially) answered.

6 hours ago, Skorne said:

Will they ever answer "who is Them?" in the series of updates called "Return of Them"? Gee, I dunno.

know the DLC is called "Return of Them", and I am dearly hoping that it will end up giving a bunch of lore about Them. But personally, in all my time playing DST, every time there's a new update or character that I think will give a ton of lore, I get disappointed. I don't want to get my hopes up too high again.

Well, we already have some answers for the Ancients. General population became shadow creatures once the portal started overflowing, their leftover physical forms from the metamorphosis became statues.
There are also indications that the Fuelweaver is/was likely the mind of the Staffwielder taking over a skeleton, and at least some narrative implications that the creature fused with Charlie is the Torchbearer.
Post with more explanation over here.

I'd really like to see more on those two specifically, using Maxwell and Charlie as a medium for discovery with how similar they are to the two monarchs.

You know what... no I want some lore too, But not on characters or how they got there- I wanna know what’s up with the Crazy weather patterns, how it can go from Freezing Cold with Ice everywhere and then Transition into Summer with a Blazing inferno of hell where the surface gets so hot that everything catches fire, it gets so hot that the ground itself beneath your feet will actually collapse into craters, dropping large boulders down into caves if your unfortunate enough to be in one at this time.

This world is pure Torture!!! :( 

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You know what... no I want some lore too, But not on characters or how they got there- I wanna know what’s up with the Crazy weather patterns, how it can go from Freezing Cold with Ice everywhere and then Transition into Summer with a Blazing inferno of hell where the surface gets so hot that everything catches fire, it gets so hot that the ground itself beneath your feet will actually collapse into craters, dropping large boulders down into caves if your unfortunate enough to be in one at this time.

This world is pure Torture!!! :( 

Not to mention spiders as big as your head,zombie penguins and dogs,mutant creatures, living vegetables,magic and many more.

Shame that Woodies short which is the most childish and provides zero lore has the highest views on youtube, about 2 million more than Warly and Willow's ATM.

I doubt many people care about lore or even know Dont Starve has any, so I dont see any lore focused shorts or anything arriving any time soon.

I like DS's ambiguous, cryptic lore. I love getting little breadcrumbs of information here and there, but I don't want some massive exposition dump on Them. The answers to lore mysteries are often a let down in most fiction, since the reality can never really live up to the hype. I'm all about getting some lore nuggets in upcoming content, but I'd also love it if we also end up with a few more questions to keep us wondering.

56 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Shame that Woodies short which is the most childish and provides zero lore has the highest views on youtube, about 2 million more than Warly and Willow's ATM.

I doubt many people care about lore or even know Dont Starve has any, so I dont see any lore focused shorts or anything arriving any time soon.

Woodie is a joke character,that's probably why his animated short has no lore.

Still,his animated short is the worst one yet,i don't know why it has more views than the better ones like Warly's.

23 minutes ago, Kuba5565 said:

I really hope you're wrong.Besides shorts were created in the first place to give us more information about lore and characters past aren't they?

Not really, I always saw them as weird advertisements for dlc or patch updates, it’s only when someone sits down and explains in great detail what is actually going on.. that I see the Lore part. But #Console Generation.

Theres PLENTY of Lore in the Batman Arkham Franchise- But that didn’t stop the developers from selling DLC characters that were heavily focused around the lore of the game such as Catwoman & Harley Quinn.

So I find it slightly Odd that Klei would choose NOT to do DLC characters that are heavy on Lore Aka (Charlie, Billy & Mumsy) Because that rule has to be a strictly PC thing But if you ask Console players I can pretty much guarantee you that they would be the most purchased DLC characters.

It happened with Harley, and it will happen again & again, we kind of expect it to be honest. 

outside of Wurt living in a swamp reading nursery stories, ripping out Pigs cause she hates them and stealing Wendy’s bag of Halloween Candy, her Short told us absolutely nothing about her as well. :(

57 minutes ago, Kuba5565 said:

Shorts were created in the first place to give us more information about lore and characters past aren't they?

I would rather have funni canadian beaver man run around and fight cartoon tree.

Lucy? Whose that? Lore? Whats that?

44 minutes ago, Lammarr said:

Woodie is a joke character,that's probably why his animated short has no lore.

Still,his animated short is the worst one yet,i don't know why it has more views than the better ones like Warly's.

Every character is a "joke" character, Warly had barely anything going for him, he was just a parody of a french chef, and they managed to make his short bring a whole new level of relatability and empathy to his character.

They had that oppertunity with Woodie to give him that same level of depth, we could have learned about his rough life in the lumber camp, how his transformation came to be, ans who or what Lucy is, but they chose to focus on making fun of him some more, and added more WaCkY gimmick transformations.

Im in on the joke, Klei and I are both Canadian, I get all of his references and like or love them, but he could have been MORE than a collection of jokes.

The shorts weren't made to give the fans lore, except I guess Wilson and Winona's. The shorts were made for marketing.

You all know this deep down, so don't get your hopes up and maybe find some appreciation for the artistic merit of the shorts, 'cos there ain't a whole lot else in them.

Yea, after the success of the Woodie one and the direction of the DLC characters, it seems that we're moving away from lore in the future. Backstory just doesn't grab as much attention as flashy, clickbaity antics, and the old, dark lore just doesn't appeal to wide enough of an audience; and DST is more focused on wide appeal than the niche audience DS went for.

They might still wrap back around to it with the last character trailer or two, though. Maxwell at the least. Not sure, though.

Archived