PS4 Controller on Mac L joystick up and down not working

thedem

The left joystick on the PS4 controller on MAC quickly moves over items in the chest; so fast I can't hardly move anything. This is happening in Don't Starve (all the versions). Never had this problem before the last update :( The joystick works fine with everything except when you go into a container and try to move it, so like 20% of the game no longer works. :'( SUCKS!

• Developer

Hi, 

Could you try opening the debug console in the main menu ('~' key) and entering the following command

ResetControllersAndQuitGame()

..followed by <enter>?

It should quit the game. Let me know if things improved if you then restart the game.

Hi! I have the issue thedem described above. The cursor jumps a few slots in response to the slightest push on a joystick or touch on a right pad. I'm using Mac, latest DST, and a Steam Controller.

In addition to that, if I have a backpack on, the cursor would stick to the bottom (the backpack) and would stay there. It's possible to move the cursor out with a joystick or pad but the moment the pressure is released, the cursor is jumping back to the backpack - just like that in the gif I attached.

My controller is calibrated, I'm using official DST controller configuration by Klei and there are no other issues in the game.

I did try ResetControllersAndQuitGame() command in the console - it did not restart the game and there was no effect after I did so manually.

Please help :)

Kapture 2020-01-29 at 11.17.57.gif

I noticed my mistake: I ran ResetControllersAndQuitGame() in a game, not in the main menu as you suggested. I did as you said and the game restarted, but the issue is still there: the cursor still sticks to the bottom of inventory (backpack slots) as shown in the gif

I am having this same exact issue. I have no idea how to resolve it. The game works just fine until my character has a backpack on, then I am unable to select items in the inventory due to the right joystick constantly pushing down. I thought it might be my controller, but it doesn't happen in any other game, only DST. 

Hi folks, if the cursor keeps on scrolling down while in-game, could we get you to exit your current game world and go back to the main menu? From there, go to Options > Controls > In the controls screen, navigate to the Reset button and activate it > activate the Apply button to finish the control binding reset. From there, restart your game, and launch the save file you were playing on recently to see if that resolved the issue. 

Another thing you can check is if you have or have had any controller emulation software (such as VJoy, Joy2Key, X360CE), please uninstall that and see if that makes a difference. There are times when these controller emulation software may conflict with the game's built-in controller settings.

Finally, if you have enabled any type of controller configuration support (such as PlayStation/Xbox/Switch Generic gamepad Configuration Support) in Controller Settings in Steam, try temporarily disabling that in case it was conflicting with the game's controls.

I have exactly the same problem. the right joystick always seems to be going down and when I go to settings to change the bindings it automatically enters a right joystick binding. (I'm leaving a screenshot of exactly what binding gets done)
This happens while using Steam configuration support in DS and DST. I use a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller in a MacBook Pro.

Should this be addressed by Steam or by you guys? 

Would like to leave a stable config and not have to switch the steam controller support on and off. 

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 3.41.51 PM.png

Adding my +1 with the same issue. It happens both with a Steam Controller and with XBox One controller. Right Joy Down is constantly pressed making it impossible to change the bindings and to leave backpack. Also the Inventory is very difficult to use, because the joystick (or the trackpad in case of Steam Controller) is too sensitive. On a Mac, running through Steam.

Hey folks, in case you had missed bizziboi's original post in the thread, could we get you to try the following steps to see if this resolves your issue:

1) Launch Don't Starve on Steam and wait until you get to the game's main menu screen.

2) On game's main menu screen, press the Tilde key ( ~ ) on your keyboard to bring up the console command line.

3) On the console command line text box, type this code (or copy and paste it): ResetControllersAndQuitGame() and then press Enter key on your keyboard. This will reset all of your control binds to their default values and exit the game. 

4) Launch Don't Starve once more and try using the same controller for the game.

Should the issue persist, you may want to try temporarily disabling Controller configuration support on your Steam client for the controller you are using currently, before doing the steps above, in case the configuration support is conflicting with the game's built-in controller support. 

Archived