All the advances made in performance were lost

I don't know if this is the same for other people, but all the advances made in the performance front by the previous update where lost in the last update.

My game returned to the painstakingly slow mess it was before.

As i don't want to lose my 5000+ cycle colony, i am considering going back to the previous version of the game.

Hopefully you will take a look at that Klei.

I'm thinking a lot about agreeing with you. I play at 4-5 fps, with drops at 1 ^^ I play on 16g RAM, core i7 7700HQ, nvidia GTX1070.

I can play also with my pro laptop, 16g RAM, Intel Xeon E3-1505M, NVIDIA M1000M, same result (very slightly better, maybe because of the xeon ?)

5 hours ago, OxCD said:

I'm thinking a lot about agreeing with you. I play at 4-5 fps, with drops at 1 ^^ I play on 16g RAM, core i7 7700HQ, nvidia GTX1070.

I can play also with my pro laptop, 16g RAM, Intel Xeon, NVIDIA M1000, same result (very slightly better, maybe because of the xeon ?)

What, how can you play at 5 fps? That sounds like an unbearable slideshow. You have better cpu and gpu than me, my base runs at 25 fps currently and it's already noticeably jarring. Not to mention dupes get that thinking lag again. I'm probably going to leave it be for a while until I can afford better cpu so that I can enjoy the game, not be frustrated with it.

Can't imagine 5 fps. What xD Do you have 100 dupes there or sth? I'm at 12.

1 minute ago, Ellilea said:

What, how can you play at 5 fps? That sounds like an unbearable slideshow. You have better cpu and gpu than me, my base runs at 25 fps currently and it's already noticeably jarring. Not to mention dupes get that thinking lag again. I'm probably going to leave it be for a while until I can afford better cpu so that I can enjoy the game, not be frustrated with it.

It depends very much on jitter. Many Intel CPUs cause a large amount of jitter. I have been playing on AMD for a long time at 20 FPS or so and things felt smooth, because (as streamers also have found) jitter is a lot smaller on AMD than on Intel. Some Intel set-ups also have low jitter and 5 FPS may just be bearable then.

2 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

It depends very much on jitter. Many Intel CPUs cause a large amount of jitter. I have been playing on AMD for a long time at 20 FPS or so and things felt smooth, because (as streamers also have found) jitter is a lot smaller on AMD than on Intel. Some Intel set-ups also have low jitter and 5 FPS may just be bearable then.

Mine is Intel i5-4670 but while I can imagine 30 fps looking smooth, idk about 5. That's so few you could pretty much clap your hands with every frame :o I'm not implying you're wrong cause I have no clue about these things. But I cannot imagine playing/watching anything at 5 fps and feeling it's anything but a slideshow.

4 hours ago, Ellilea said:

Actually I'm at 35 dups, I aim for 46, but hundreds of critters (see check list under ressources)

image.thumb.png.2e7e1d9b2036834ed039d03c9ccd8958.png

And thousands of rails and automations

image.thumb.png.edbc5bf2cba68b3e70fb4cf3d8194eb5.png

Save joined. Please feel free to enjoy the Lagovore ;)

OxCD's Downtown.sav

10 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

@OxCD Did you start your base in Meep's Mandtory Recreation Pack or before that?

Is it only possible to reach cycle 1600 since Meep's RP is out ? ^^ I need to eat, and sleep (even only a bit) :p

As far as I can remember this one has been started few weeks after the release ;)

After the recreational update, the game is slightly slower, but still faster than before the performance update. The sad thing is neither the CPU or GPU caps. I think they are sitting at around 30% while the FPS tanks. It's still playable but I'm not sure how much longer I can tolerate. :D

2 hours ago, OxCD said:

Is it only possible to reach cycle 1600 since Meep's RP is out ? ^^ I need to eat, and sleep (even only a bit) :p

As far as I can remember this one has been started few weeks after the release ;)

I started when the testing branch was out and I'm at cycle 960. I can tell I'm not sleeping pretty well though.  :D

I'm curious if the new Joy Reactions are present in old saves previous to this version, like yours.

I've seen Super Productive and Sparkle Streaker in my save (started in the preview branch) but no Balloon Artist or Sticker Bomber yet... I wonder if the issue is due to the fact I started in the preview branch and not the polished version.

On 11/24/2019 at 2:58 PM, OxCD said:

I can play also with my pro laptop, 16g RAM, Intel Xeon E3-1505M, NVIDIA M1000M, same result (very slightly better, maybe because of the xeon ?)

I have nearly the same specs and I get 55-60~ Fps. While running google chrome. Granted I've never had a super big base. I don't know where that lag is coming from.

Every since the update I've seen a consistent drop in FPS over time. 50 cycles later and the game is now almost unplayable.
Not sure if this is because I just built some big things or....

edit: found the source of this. Was running a big rail network to move regolith from the surface which was causing the massive lagg

Each game layer does add a whole new world that has to be processed every tick. I don't see why conveyors would be fundamentally different from liquids or gases though. They all conduct temperature, they all slide along at the same speed, and they all drop out of the network when they change state. Under the hood their implementation should be very similar? 

7 hours ago, bobucles said:

Each game layer does add a whole new world that has to be processed every tick. I don't see why conveyors would be fundamentally different from liquids or gases though. They all conduct temperature, they all slide along at the same speed, and they all drop out of the network when they change state. Under the hood their implementation should be very similar? 

From what i know the main difference is, that items on a conveyor act like debris on the floor. Thats why they also exchange temperature with one tile below. I guess this is the reason, why the same optimizations (as for pipes) couldn`t be applied.

On 11/27/2019 at 9:40 AM, bobucles said:

Conveyors are not multi-threaded. All pipes are. They very recently tried to multi-thread them, and failed, and it seems like miserably, cause they haven't even mention them again, even when asked.

@nakomaru My conveyor rail network is basically the same from before the update, though it is indeed massive, I'll cull it to see if it helps.

ipsquiggle responded two weeks ago, so it should be safe to consider this their current view on rails.

On 11/15/2019 at 2:12 AM, Ipsquiggle said:

The conveyor rails patch introduced many more knock-on issues than we had hoped. The performance gains from it were fairly minor (rails were always more optimal than conduits), and it was sucking up a lot of developer time. We've put it away for now, to spend that time more productively elsewhere. :)

Archived